Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

BYD price certainty?? Not a hope they can compete in sizeable manner in this market without big cuts. Hyundai, Kia, Polestar, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Skoda will all have to cut prices to see any hope of decent sales

Yeah no doubt, but 15 units won’t make any difference - that dealer is probably selling 50 Golfs in the same period

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭sk8board

Interestingly, Golf sales are up 5x versus 2023 and are VW’s biggest selling vehicle by far.

EVs account for 14% of VW sales this year versus 24% last year

VW dealer in Kerry said they were selling diesel Golf's all over the country to folk with diesel Focus, Corolla's, Honda's and wanted to buy diesel again. Think Honda in particular are facing extinction in Ireland without a diesel option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I wonder if some diesel drivers think that they need to get into a new diesel before you can't get one anymore.

It's not just "ice car ban" - manufacturers have been hinting at and reducing their diesel.

No diesel in the new 5 series and obviously Corollas are now hybrid only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Forget the EV thing for a moment.

But there's diesel drivers whod consider it a total DISASTER if they had to drive a petrol or any form of hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I suspect there's an element of this, a lot of folks are reluctant to change and may be viewing this as the last diesel before they're "forced" to go hybrid or electric

Also to be clear, I don't think anyone is being forced to change, new ICE sales ban isn't until 2035 and there'll still be used cars available probably up to 2050

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Worth keeping in mind the refreshed ID.4 doesn't start deliveries until April I think

I don't see anyone buying the current 77kWh unless they're stuck or they get an awesome deal

I'm not expecting VW EV sales will go through the roof, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got back to where they were in 2023

For some context, my ID.4 1st Max cost approximately €57k new in 2021

The Max trim which was basically the same (included the heat pump) was €68k the next two year as I recall

The refreshed ID.4 with the same spec as mine costs around €47k now

My car seems to be worth €35-37k selling privately at the moment

So as little as €10k to upgrade, not the worst deal more a much better software version and another 60hp or so

I agree the 1st editions were excellent value, from then on VW we're seeing more demand than supply so they just charged whatever they wanted

Now they're facing significant competition and can't count on brand loyalty to keep people coming back (there's a lot of Golf owners will only buy a Golf, not sure the same is true for ID owners)

Overall, this is good for the buyer of 2024, but probably bad news for the buyers of 2022-23

Honda, Jaguar, Alfa and Subaru haven’t even sold a combined 100 cars in 2024.

they're all officially dead in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I’d be surprised if you got anything close to that money when it actually comes to doing a deal, to be quite honest.

there are lots and lots of 2023 ID4’s for €35-38k from dealers online, with the remaining VW warranty.

no idea on spec’s, but options have almost zero value in the 2nd hand market bar making the sale a bit quicker

Fair point, a lot of us want diesels for good reason, yet are faced with less and less decent options to choose from, I bought a new diesel in Feb that is soon to be discontinued. Hopefully the manufacturers take note

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Just the Max trim versus the current pro plus offering. Don't you have to add the heatpump to the Proplus to bring it to similar spec? and also doesn't have Glass roof?

I think it’s fair to say at this stage that if you wanted a new EV in Jan or Feb, you could’ve got one, suggesting as we’ve said before that the mass market buyer isn’t following the early adopters - indeed a portion of the 2024 sales will be existing EV owners trading up

I meant equivalent to my 1st Max with no heat pump, so Pro Plus with the exterior style pack plus, assist pack plus and comfort pack plus comes to €47,895 I think

Also I forgot to add the DCC but it never seemed to make any difference to me so I wouldn't be buying it again, but that would add another €1k or so

If I was changing I'd be tempted to get the heat pump since it looks like it might enable some thermal scavenging from the battery (based on the ID.7 reviews)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I doubt if you’ll get any more than €32K for your 2021 ID.4 unless it’s tiny mileage and absolutely mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Have you seen Honda prices? The Civic costs €49,000. You can buy a Tesla for considerably less.

There's a Honda dealer near me who seems to be doing no business and with those prices I don't see that changing.

Are you offering? Because it is low mileage and generally in good condition 😉

The point I was trying to make is that the trade in value of the 2021 cars isn't too bad

However people who bought in the last two years aren't likely to see good value on their trade in

Also while the price cuts are welcome, they're still not that great when you compare them to the 2021 prices

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Just to clarify the big drop mostly comes from a complete drop in ID.4 sales YoY. All pre-facelift models would have had to have been registered in January since deliveries of them stopped back in December.

So there's no stock left to register and the new model isn't due until April. Couple that with the crippling motor shortages affecting the new ID.4, ID.5, ID.7, Enyaq, and Q4 and H1 2024 will probably seriously underperform.

No thanks but best of luck if you’re selling. Used EV trade values are just all over the place at the moment. Market just doesn’t seem to be there for them despite continued high running costs for anyone buying petrol/diesel at €1.70 per litre.

• Advertisement

Nah I'm not selling, just kidding around

Used prices definitely seem to be all over the place, there's always a mix of people looking for a quick sale and dealerships chancing there arms by putting a few grand on top of the sticker prices

But the range of prices does seem a bit crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ev fan

I think a surge of EVs will happen within the next year because of a number of converging factors...........

1. Battery prices are due to fall between 30% and 50% this year. Given that batteries are up to 40% of an EV cost this will mean that EVs will cost the same to manufacture as ICE cars. The higher cost argument no longer applies.
    2. 2nd hand EV pricing is close to finding a floor meaning that customers will start buying them in volume and the market will pick up again.
    3. Dealers will realise that they need to market EVs better which includes giving customers solid information on EV battery health prior to purchase.
    4. Charging infrastructure is improving significantly allaying people's fears about being left on the side of the road on longer trips. Being a small country an additional 6 to 8 charging hubs (hub = 4 to 10 charging bays) strategically placed around an inner perimeter of the country. I haven't seen many newspaper articles of EVs abandoned with no charge at the side of the road. Funny that!
    5. High petrol/diesel prices increases EV fuel savings which are already significant at eur 500 to eur 1000 dept on mileage.
    6. Cheaper small EVs are finally coming- eC3 - Renault 5 - Dacia Spring - Chinese cars e.g BYD Dolphin? /others? Other manufacturers like VW - ID2/Cupra XXX will finally get the finger out.
    7. Commitment theory shows that people follow other people. More EV users will get the message out that driving an EV is actually a very relaxing,calming, quiet, simple and easy,smooth and enjoyable experience

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

One above all else I think - when the price of petrol / diesel approaches and goes past €2 per litre, then the consideration of an EV will come into much sharper focus

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Are manufacturers passing through these battery savings (or saying that they will)? Fantastic if so but this will further depress 2nd hand prices, considerably more in all likelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It should already be a serious consideration, I'm on the board gas .27cent 24 hr rate, nothing fancy doesn't matter when I plug in the car or the tumble dryer. The last 3000km (over 14 days) cost me €159.27 without any stress and no range anxiety.

I could make it cheaper if I was bothered but I'm not, no diesel or petrol comes near that cost.

I think the arse is going to fall out of the diesel market when the current business class long range EV's come down to used 520d money.

What would you consider an example of a business class longe range EV that would entice folks out of their 520d’s ?

When the i5 reaches price parity with one it'll be a no brainer. I can't see that happening though. How many drivers are emptying a full tank in a 520d every day..

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Funnily enough, I was enticed out of a decade long obsession with 520d MSports into an Ioniq 6. Perhaps it's not business class, but it's certainly long range.

I'm not sure if you'll find many of the business class folks on Boards though. They are probably silently getting on with buying a Mercedes EQS, ID7 or Polestar I suspect once their normal 3 year ownership cycle comes around.

Post edited by CivilEx on

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

The surge in sales will come with a combination of 700km+ range and quick charging.

And that is around the corner.

Chinese car IM L6 Max launching next month has a solid state battery with near 800km range and 400km charge in 12 minutes.

That will become standard in the next generation models in 2025 and 2026 and once range anxiety is gone, sales will soar.

Certainly, I'll wait for better range but will definitely go ev when that better range comes

• Advertisement

You don't need 700km and quick charging. That's 182,000km a year just working Monday to Friday. What's the average car doing,16,000km a year or so. A solid 400km in all seasons is more than plenty for most people and we're already there.

How much range do you think you need?

Advertisement