Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar, Martin & Ryan walking off a stage together to avoid a journalist. Is this acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You could have easily have ended up with an idiot who thought he was on the streets or released and the press weren't reporting on it. The Gardai deemed it as serious enough to put him under protection. On top of that, you open any family members up to being targeted.

Anyway, I'd say it's pretty likely that the courts will find against gript. They behaved irresponsibly and put a random member of the public in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

This is what we should be getting from all the media in Ireland when it comes to asking government ministers questions. The fact they walked off despite a legitimate question being asked shows the contempt. Maybe they should have screened the question beforehand or give them a soft question. It actually says a lot about the rest of the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

There was nothing wrong with the question it was perfectly reasonable.You may not agree with Gript as a news source but the question is absolutely fine.

Varadkars response is proof of the contempt he hs for the average Irish person as the questioned posed was one a lot of people would like an answer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

What's the highest common denominator? Having a picture of Varadkar up on your wall with a sacred heart red bulb underneath lighting up his portrait?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Floppybits

With Dev and Collins portraits on either side.

• Advertisement

At least Dev and Collins would be faced and seated in their portraits. Varadkar's portrait would be him half walking out the frame to whatever bureaucratic gig he's off to next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

How do you know what their ' resources" are?

They haven' t made them public.

If you do know maybe you could do the rest of us a service here and publish??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He didn't bloody hear it. How is this so hard to understand?

A guy in a crowded room asked a question at normal speaking voice (speaking into his own mic or recording) when the press conference was already over and they were leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Exactly this. Gript are lying, spinning and proving The Village right each and every day.

Also pretty sure you'd find at the end of every press conference, there are questions being asked that don't get answered. And that's applicable to any Democratic government.

• Advertisement

My mistake.

Never seen a press conference in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

To paraphrase a sitcom "they don't like it put to 'em"

It is getting quite enjoyable to see how uncomfortable our betters are beginning to feel.

If you think it is uncomfortable now, just wait until election time.

This.

If.. they heard him or if.. he was allowed in to the press conference under the guise of being an actual journalist.. Then they should have replied, absolutely.

That is what a press conference is for and they don't get to pick and choose who they reply to or who they ignore.

But not sure if he fulfilled any of the above criteria ie. was he heard or is he eligible to be regarded as official press??

Personally I would think that anybody allowed in has a right to ask questions of our democratically elected, and I am not a fan of either Gript or Ben Scallan at all.

If this is how it did go down and taken with a very large dose of salt given Gripts antics generally, they should have answered the man.

There is no actual proof either way folks, but it 'looks' bad.

As evidenced by 8 pages on this bloody thread they are not only letting themselves down but handing Gript and its fans a stick to beat them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This is getting silly now.

Gript resources and influence are TINY, MINISCULE compared to RTÉ for example.

Still though, Gript really seems to drive the blue haired, gender fluid, skimmed soya latte brigade, absolutely seething with anger.

How dare a conservative media outlet resist the Woke Consensus!!

*stamps foot*

I'd say it's pretty ridiculous that people got outraged over a press conference ending and a question not getting asked. Meanwhile the same people see no issue that Gardai had to put a man under protection cause the same outlet incorrectly made him identifiable for a horrible crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Much like that state, these types have gotten far too comfortable within a system where there's little ideological challenge, and with that comes power. And when people in power feel that they may be losing it, they naturally lash out. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference though as the threat will continue no matter how long and loud they scream.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But they are talking to themselves and their own followers only. The fact that the Gript fella is claiming to the disciples that Martin and Varadkar walked out and refused to answer a question is a non story outside the right wing conspiracy theory bubble in which they operate on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yes, it is amazing how a small entity like Gript has fired up certain people and commentators to disparage them with a vengeance.

When I see that kind of vitriol against a news source I think Whoa, why are they so vocally against Free Speech, or is it that Free Speech must only come from certain quarters? Censorship by another name maybe.

You and I don't have to like or admire Gript, but I for one stand firmly in the camp of No censorship, No muzzling, No derision. And the reality is, that Gript has had more publicity over this attempt to get the Triumvirate on the podium to answer a reasonable question, than any advertising could ever do.

Let them be sued for the issue mentioned above, let them be mocked and derided, but let them have their say. I'd imagine that deep down a fairly substantial number of people in a certain demographic are only dying for someone to speak up for them. Hard Left ultra liberals they are not. But maybe just the ordinary Joes and Josephines happy to get both sides of the story instead of the group speak that's happening in our media at the moment.

the Left is raging, that's a sign that Gript are doing something right (oops), for those with no voice now.

Are you one of that ' brigade' you describe above because you appear to be getting a bit hot under the collar here ? 😂

Shouting in capitals, name calling and refusing to answer any questions asked about your posts??

I ask again, if you know about their funding, can you please enlighten us all, as it is not publicly available for some reason?

Otherwise shouting about it being ' miniscule' is just a waste of time.

• Advertisement

I don' t think anybody is ' my better '.. But I suppose if you don't believe in equality you might!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They seem to be getting the xenophobes more agitated than anything else. In this example, they were ignored completely.

gript are not conservative.

Thats a bit of a stretch..

No. Disagree with it saying anything about the rest of the media.

If anything it shows that many do not hold Scallan or Gript in any regard that noone else is championing this... Or that it may not have happened at all?

If it did happen, the responsibility is solely on those facilitating and the three politicians, not anyone else.

All of this would be fine it was a a genuine alternative news source trying to uncover the truth and expose corruption in government. But they are clearly a hard right / far right outfit pushing their own specific political agenda (that Scallan guy ran as a candidate for the Irish Freedom Party in 2020). They could be described more as political activists than journalists - similar to what you see on GB News.

lol Ben Scallion and gript becoming more famous and notorious than the red carpet cast from Dune part 2. And who is making it happen? Meo Varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

They could be described more as political activists than journalists - similar to what you see on GB News.

As usual, zero self awareness. This could be applied to literally every journalist in the nation. At least Gript fans/followers will admit that they've an agenda, where as the other side will never be honest and admit that there's little impartiality from the old guard.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So what? Freedom of Expression should not be confined to a particular political spectrum. Let them have their say and see how they get on. At the moment they are not given the opportunity to prove if, or how (as you say) far right they are.

So what if some people are right wing in their views? Is that a crime now, as I wasn't aware of that. But then again everyone with a view that does not concur with the current cosy consensus in Dail Eireann is called FAR RIGHT anyway, so no wonder all those people might be ok with someone to speak up for them. They've been given the jackboot description with no right of reply up to now have they?

Diversity is a buzzword nowadays. Let us see it in action so.

But what is the agenda of the mainstream media? They could hardly be accused of strongly favouring one party in the Dáil and doing their best to discredit all the others - the likes of SF, Labour, the Soc Dems, PBP and Aontú get a fair crack of the whip alongside the three government parties.

Gript is interesting in that it hates all of the above (!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Madeoface

Never heard of this outfit. So I just had a look.....checked out the world news on gript. Lol. Not a lot going on in the world according to this 'media'.

Leave them at it I say. Gives PBP etc. something else to whine about.

Advertisement