Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The founding fathers were gents of an honourable kind [unlike the last presidential office holder] and would probably not have imagined a president like Trump being in power. Even Benedict Arnold had the good grace to exit the continental USA for a foreign country after his acts of betrayal. Hopefully the SCOTUS would not rule so on Trump's plea that he had presidential immunity AFTER he left office.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is it your argument that the USSC, if a citizen stated a case before it on the legal standing of a part of the constitution and the court decided the citizen's case had reached the level of validity and public importance for it to hear it, that the court had no legal right to hear the citizens case, let alone grant the citizen a hearing?

What would you say if the USSC differed with your opinion of its power?

Edit: I did not suggest that the amendment was improperly inserted [into the constitution].

How can a part of the Constitution not have legal standing? What does that even mean?

We are going in circles on this. It is not definitionally possible for a part of the Constitution to be unconstitutional. The Supreme Court's job is to interpret the Constitution as it stands, they can do absolutely nothing whatsoever about the document itself.

I am at a loss as to why you keep asking me questions not pertinent to what I wrote so, apart from these few words, I will not be responding to you in future as the difference of opinion between us on the abilities of SCOTUS is clearly unbridgeable by you. Have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Founding Fathers would have horse whipped someone like Trump, or tarred and feathered, or just shot him in a duel.

They would never have intended a man like Trump to be anywhere near the office of the President.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Probably would have felt the same about Obama, tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The GOP has lost the Long Island seat formerly held by George Santos to Democrat Tom Suozzi reducing the numerical hold the GOP has in the House. The candidate the GOP ran in the special election was Mazi Pilip and she has been blamed for the loss by the likes of Marjorie Taylor Greene, claiming that the GOP should not have expelled Santos from the party, that Pilip was a horrible candidate, a registered democrat who apparently hated Trump.

MTG's claim that Pilip may have been a registered Democrat but ran as a Republican in the election may be a hint that the GOP might try to claim the election was rigged against the GOP. Trump said "Republicans never learn, she didn't endorse me, maybe she was still a Democrat?".

The loss of the seat to the Democrats comes just after the House GOP managed to impeach the Admin's Secretary with responsibility for the southern border area and immigration control there on charges of failing in his task there. If his trial goes ahead, it'll be in the Senate where the Democrats hold the majority. It looks like it'll be another loss for Trump and the GOP there, though he will probably step away from the mess and blame the GOP for it.

In a move that seems to have surprised Rep Matt Gaetz, the former speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy on a Tuesday visit to Capitol Hill, passed comment on Gaetz's house resolution to defend Trump from accusations of leading an insurrection on Jan 6th 2020 and shield Trump from legal challenges to kick him off the 2024 ballot around the country. McCarthy also made reference to Gaetz and the ethics committee hearing into him, claiming Gaetz had asked him to do something about it [while speaker] but he told him he couldn't as it would have been illegal. He also referred to Gaetz as "probably also lying about whom he sleeps with too". Gaetz said 70 members of the house had joined him in the resolution, had moved on, and asked why he had not moved on, referring to McCarthy as the disgraced former speaker.

It seems the GOP members on the Hill are still intent on gutting themselves as much as gutting the Democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

McCarthy bent over backwards to appease the bunch of lunatics with Gaetz at their centre and they still ousted him anyway. I'd imagine he despises him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Judge Arthur Engoron found Trump’s adult sons, Donald Jr. and Eric, liable for a host of civil fraud counts in New York, including issuing false financial statements, falsifying business records and conspiracy.  

He ordered them each to pay $4 million for their personal profits from the fraud. 

In addition, Engoron fined former Trump Organization Chief Financial Officer Allen Weisselberg $1 million.

Judge Arthur Engoron has ordered former President Donald Trump and his companies to pay nearly $355 million.

Trump is expected to appeal the decision and seek a stay to halt its enforcement while his appeal is considered.

Donald Trump’s adult sons, Eric and Donald Trump Jr., are barred from serving as an officer or director of any New York corporation for two years.

Meanwhile, the former president is barred from serving as an officer or director of any New York corporation or other legal entity in the state for three years.

Above taken from CNN. Only real surprise is that he allowed the company to keep existing but as this is a civil lawsuit he can't pardon himself from it as president but I'm guessing it will end up as a empty shell company that will go bankrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He is expected to appeal but I believe he has to post the money owed before he can do that, I've also read that on top of the fine there are interest payments from the date the fraud occurred which will add on in the region of another $100 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,532 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They always say he will appeal, but has he ever won them?

Seems a strange strategy to set out to lose his cases so that he can then appeal. Why not just win the first time?

Because the facts are against him. Any appeals will be in technicalities.

On this fraud trial he has been shown to have committed fraud on many occasions. And let us not forget its not the 1st time. Trump University. His charity. So before anyone claims political timing, were they political as well?

And far from having time for appeals, he faces into the criminal trial about the hush money. Which he has already admitted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,841 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Does this mean all the other businesses in New York will now face the same as Trump, or was it about taking him down only. I'm guessing all the other multi million pounds companies in New York who got loans by putting their own value on assets will not be prosecuted , that this is a one off.

Bring some semblance of evidence to the DAs office and they can pursue it.

You do realise that Trump isn't the first or only business to be held legally accountable for fraud? Or do you actually think Trump is the only one ever.

Still, it's a pretty poor position to be in when all you've got is to claim that others should be tried as well.

Does that mean that you believe Trump has been properly treated under the law or that he has been mistreated? If mistreated why would you want anyoneelse to suffer the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

I'm sure if you or anyone else has evidence of this and that the values they stated were fraudulent, that the relevant authorities would be interested in hearing about it.

Of course it could be that if they were fraudulently claiming values of assets for loans, that they were a lot smarter than trump was when doing so.

Come on, we all know what is going on, every democrat in a position of power is doing their bit to take him out, it's hardly a secret, it's looking like it's going to backfire this plan, as Trump seems to get more popular, I said it before, a couple more losses in courts and the White House is his , this is a big step towards it. He just needs another huge loss now, the people of America can see it for what it is, and are going to vote that way, it's sad that in 2024 the US is acting like Russia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

After a quick Google, and trawling past the results about the Trump case, found some articles on previous cases of business fraud in New York.

But I'm sure you already knew that Trump wasn't the first, and won't be the last. He was merely the biggest profile.

Those look like real crimes, fire insurance fraud, failing to declare income etc, Trump crime was valuing his assets, even though the banks had to do their own due diligence , before making decisions about the security of loans. Who exactly did Trump defraud of money, no one it seems in this case. In general anyone who owns property, cars, houses would value them more than an outsider would, even to this day Trump values Mar a Lago in the 100s of millions, while Judge said it was estimated at 18m - 27m. The judge said the value Trump has on it of 350m or more was indeed fraud.

But Forbes valued it at 350m plus also. Even independent real estate agents value it at over 400m

So yea, court is wrong, you'd not even buy the land it sits on for 18m.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

If the US was acting like Russia, he would have fallen out of a window by now

That rape case would not stand up in a European court, ZERO evidence, even cases with evidence are rarely won, but in Trumps case there was ZERO evidence, but he lost. It's nuts.

The way I look at it is, if the people of America vote for Trump as president, respect the will of the people.

In all fairness she's out there to say the least.

• Advertisement

I'm not a Trump fan, or a Biden fan, I have no dog in the race, so I can see between the lines, unlike most on here, who are on one side or the other, it's all one side or the other to them regardless of the craziness on both sides.

They are trying to destroy Trump with Trump hating Judges, D.A's , as to try and get him to fail to get elected.

Your theory is that the Democrats have infiltrated and corrupted the entire legal system of the US.

That they have done so in such a way as that his defence counsel as at no stage being able to put up any evidence.

This, despite Trump being in power for 4 years. During which he could have rooted out thos clear corruption. But he didn't. In fact anytime a minority group like BLM raised the possibility that the legal system was weighed against them were quickly told how everyone was treated the same under the law.

You claim that no real laws were broken so it should have been really easy for Trumps lawyers to get the case thrown out.

And what about his previous fraud findings. Trump University. Trumps charity. Not to mention his well documented lying. All before he even got into politics.

But you have come to the conclusion, with no evidence more than 'I think', that this is all a vast conspiracy coming from a party that let the SCOTUS being loaded by the GOP such that cases like Roe v Wade have been overturned.

Get him to fail to be elected? They already did that in 2020 without any of this supposed corruption.

There was also no defence. Trump didn't take the stand. He had his opportunity to proclaim his innocence under oath and refused to take it. Why is that?

Do you think Trump was innocent of all charges? As in him/his company didn't inflate assets to get preferable loan rates?

Well, he's still alive, so no, the US is not acting like Russia.

Question for you.

Is it possible for Trump to break the law?

Any law btw, not just high crimes or fraud.

And of he was able to break the law, who should try him?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The way I look at it is, if the people of America vote for Trump as president, respect the will of the people.

He was, and they did, so not even sure what this is supposed to allude to. You just choosing to ignore 2016? (Though Trump did lose the popular vote but that's a whole different discussion about the electoral college).

Only one individual and his cult like movement contested a recent national election, through bogus legal challenges and a riot in DC.

Do you believe being president confers some kind of immunity from civil or criminal prosecution?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Respect the will of the people like inciting an insurrection that led to an attack on Congress?

What something is valued at is an opinion, no bank argued with the values, so it's comical to me, that outsiders can come in and say his properties are only worth 10's of millions, and call it fraud that Trump values them at a lot more. Show me another case like it.

And I guess it's just some random coincidence, that all these cases just happen to come around in the build up to an election, when the issues in these cases are from many many years ago.

The aim of the cases are purely to rinse him of all his worth, but it's looking like it could be a spectacular backfire.

Even the Supreme court called it a riot. If you look at insurrections throughout history you'll see how violent they are, it's one hell of a coincidence that every person on Jan 6th forgot their weapons while planing a insurrection, and that the front lines contained little old ladies waving flags. It was a riot with the aim of having their voice heard, of course it still was an abominable showing of patriotism.

• Advertisement

The issue got got him was he valued it one way for the banks and another for taxes. You are right that valuations are subjective but he added sq footage where it didn't exist.

He tried to argue that valuations are subjective but it fell down when a different valuation method was used for reporting.

Why do you think he did that?

And while you continue to claim its all political, you continue to ignore that Trump has already had fraud found against him. Most notably for Trump University and his charity. Both were before he entered politics.

Are you claiming that the Democrats were already working on politicising Trump years ago but waiting until he had won one election and then lost another before doing anything?

Advertisement