Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 year anniversary of the death of Michael Jackson

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fitriv uyda

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

From watching the continuous coverage of his death on the news (three days later, he was still dead, so I guess the arising never happened) one could have been mistaken for thinking it was the most important thing going on in the world at the time. I was in Afghanistan, I had a different/minority priority sequence, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

From watching the continuous coverage of his death on the news (three days later, he was still dead, so I guess the arising never happened) one could have been mistaken for thinking it was the most important thing going on in the world at the time. I was in Afghanistan, I had a different/minority priority sequence, apparently.

I was doing war Y'all.

Yeah I would imagine the global focus would have been on Jackson and his death and not some random-er in Afghanistan.

Would have been weird the other way around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Of all the problems in the world in 2009, did the death of Jackson really merit three days of headline coverage? Was there really nothing more important?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Of all the problems in the world in 2009, did the death of Jackson really merit three days of headline coverage? Was there really nothing more important?

It wasn't just his death, it was the huge world event surrounding his death. Whether you liked him or not, he has an absolutely massive fan base and was arguably one of, if not, the biggest pop stars of all time.

Might have also been a slow news period. I can't see anything interesting in the subsequent days, maybe this should have gone out as headliner instead?

26th of June 2009:

Australia Wallabies Cause Crop Circles
    During a hearing on poppy crop security, the attorney general for Tasmania, Lara Giddings, reported that wallabies had been creating crop circles in poppy fields. She reported findings that wallabies had been eating opium poppies grown legally for medicinal purposes, getting high off of the poppies, and then wandering around the fields and crashing, creating crop circles and causing damage. The reported wallaby incidents seemed to be rare, however, farmers also reported that sheep would often get into the crops and cause the same problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,581 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Couldn't tell you.

But here you are 10 years later posting about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

giphy.gif

Did he just spot a kid in the audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Biggest pop star that ever existed arguably.
    A pop and cultural icon
    Like him or not, the guy was a phenomenon

It's what draws the viewers and readers and engages them.The plight of farmers during the summer months isn't going to draw attention or sell papers. You mention the man's name and boom, you're in the paper! Whether you're telling porkies or not.

It's the way of the world

Personally, I'm more of a Steely Dan kinda guy myself but, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's poor Bubbles I have sympathy for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

a80eea20ad1ec2fdcf110fa619848ec6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Once a creep, always a creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

3 days! Is that all? I bet Lennon and Elvis got a lot more than that.

Anyway, if anyone every asks you where you were when Jackson died 'Afghanistan' is pretty cool answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

One of the things I've found most annoying since Leaving Neverland, has been the insistance from some MJ haters that anyone who questions Robson and Safechuck's claims are deluded MJ Stans or Pedo Defenders.

If people have decided MJ's guilt based on that 'documentary', please note the following;

Safechuck & Robson both only 'remembered' they were abused in 2013, which is convenient as both their famillies were sued in unrelated matters then.

There is a stature of limitations of 15 years for sexual abuse allegations in California, except if you only realise that you were abused after this has passed. Robson knew what sexual abuse was back in 1993 when he publically defended MJ and then again he defended MJ during his 2005 trial, again, how convenient.

Speaking of the trial, there is a Statute of Limitations of 7 years for perjury in California. If Wade comitted perjury in 2005, the statute expired in 2012, meaning he can't be prosecuted, again, how convenient.

Both Brett Barnes and Macauley Culkin, along with many others, have confirmed that MJ NEVER did anything inappropriate/sexual with them, this contradicts the insinuation that Robson & Safechuck were replaced by Culkin and Barnes in MJ's affections/desires.

The narrative that MJ wanted to keep his 'boys' apart is also bogus as there are pictures of Safechuck, Robson, Barnes all together with MJ.

Another thing totally ignored was the fact MJ set up Robson with his niece Brandi. This smashes the narrative that MJ wanted to keep them away from girls.

Safechuck claims that MJ wanted nothing to do with him once he hit puberty, however there are photos of Safechuck being with MJ and Lisa Marie Presley in 1994 when Safechuck was 16.

Then there are the many claims made by both Robson, Safechuck and their famillies that are completely discredited;

Safechuck claims that he was abused over Thanksgiving 1987 in Neverland but MJ was in Australia on tour then.

Safechuck said him and MJ had a fake wedding in 1988 and went on Honeymoon to Euro Disneyland but Disneyland Paris did not open until 1992.

Safechuck said he was abused by MJ in New York after MJs performance at the Grammy Awards in 1989 but the 1989 Grammys were held in LA and MJ did not perform at them.

Then there is the Train Station debacle when Safechuck claimed he was abused in a building between 1988 - 92 that wasn't built until 1994!

Safechuck claims he was given the 'Thriller' Jacket as a gift by MJ as a sign of his affection for him however there were 2 jackets. One was given by MJ to the designers and the other is currently in a museum.

Robson's mother has stated twice, under oath, that Wade went with his family to the Grand Canyon in January 1990 and was therefore not left alone in Neverland with MJ where he alleges the abuse started then.

Robson has stated previously that he visited Neverland 14 times but MJ was only there on 4 of those occasions.

Robson claims he was forced to testify in MJs defence in 2005 but no subpoena was issued to him to do so.

At the end of Leaving Neverland, Safechuck and Robson burn MJ memorablia and gifts from him, the items burnt were fakes, the real items were sold previously.

Robson continued to publically dance to MJs music and defend MJ until he was rejected from chereographing the MJ Cirque De Soleil Show, it was only after that rejection did these abuse claims start.

There are other examples of these things aswell.

Sorry for the long rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

100% accurate and thank you for calling out. I was watching the greatest night in pop last night on Netflix and reminded my how incredible Michael Jackson was.

I've also watched Convicting a Murderer and shows very clearly how "documentaries" and TV shows can often by complete nonsense and full misinformation. The Netflix show Making a Murderer is just complete fraud and lies and what's shocking is many people believed it and actually became Steven Avery advocates.

Same applies to mainstream media when it comes to Michael Jackson and that Neverland doc as illustrated above is utter nonsense.

I believe he was 100% innocent.

Allegations 1 - insurance company and people around him forced Michael Jackson to settle the civil case so not to cancel the 1992 BAD world tour and lose everyone millions. Not enough evidence to go to criminal trial.

Allegations 2 - Michael Jackson, now tarnished reputation, decides to fight extortion attempt and is completely exonerated at trial. Despite 10 year FBI and sheriff county investigation

Allegations 3 - 2 lads after he's died - 1 of which is a proven liar. Seeking BILLIONS from his estate and per above telling a load of inconsistent lies in a shambles "documentary"

Michael Jackson had literally thousands of kids and families at his home over the years and the FBI and sheriff couldn't get anyone else to testify against him and most of the claims are civil i.e. looking for money. If he really was guilty there'd be a lot more victims coming forward (ala Harvey Weinstein) - the floodgates would open.

This is also another example of mainstream media selling negative stories for clicks and spinning certain false narratives.

The netflix doc greatest night in pop is quite good - check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I think his credibility died over 20 years ago which is probably why he's the only person I'm not surprised is dead such a length of time.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭Tork

Can you tell us why this is fascinating and why anybody should sit down and watch a long long video? It is over 2½ hours long. That's a very long time for a link dump.

Because this man knew Michael Jackson very well and goes into a lot of detail around his life and allegations. What he says 100% backs up previous defensive posts on this thread.

If you've no interest in Michael Jackson or forming an opinion on the allegations absolutely don't waste your time watching it. But if everyone is so desperate to have an opinion all the time on everything so please inform yourself first.

So for example lots of people say "ah sure Michael Jackson was a pedo" or "JK Rowling is transphobic" or "Andrew Tate is an idiot".

But those people are just being sheep and following snippets from mainstream media/social media echo chamber without their own critical thinking. For example on the JK one:

So if you're one of those people who say "Michael Jackson was a pedo" then do your research first or else just don't make a comment about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭Tork

All I was asking for was a brief explanation as to what was in the video. Do you really think anybody is going to start watching something as long as this without you making the effort to at least sell the contents of it? For all I know, it could be somebody going on for 2½ hours about how to make sourdough.

Is that not obvious from the video title and my response? It's his bodyguard talking about him as a person, his life and the allegations made against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Or have you considered the fact that people may of done the correct research and correctly concluded that the horrible things said about all 3 people that you mention is true.

No - for example in the Michael Jackson or JK Rowling examples - I have not seen (ever) a conclusion backed up with facts and rationale to support that.

So what I'm saying is I haven't seen anyone conclude they are a pedo or transphobic with proper evidence to support that position. This thread is an exact example of that.

People who conclude that (in my opinion) only do so from mainstream media or social media echo chambers - because they cannot back up their position. That video I linked about JK Rowling is the perfect example of that and supports the wider issue of people's lack of critical thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

100% not on Michael.

Vast majority of people out there have not. As someone who has, who has gone over every single legal document that is available to the public. Every police interview. Every deposition. There is truly only one conclusion to come to...

We don't know!

Personally, I'd like to think he didn't and a lot of evidence points to him not doing it. But sometimes, doubt can be cast and there's evidence to put doubt in your mind and make you think he did it

We're never gonna know, one way or the other, unless one of the accusers says they're lying *

*For the record, I don't believe those two bozos from Leaving Neverland. There is no evidence they have and anyone who believes the accuser around 2004-2005, is utterly deluded and 100% has not done any research

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

My memory from it is someone hooked up to a drip being fed drugs to go to sleep

Kinda sad really

Prince wasn't far away from that either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Did he not sleep with young boys? That’s an undisputed fact? Multiple ones? I suppose a lot of people make the hop then to call him a Pedo. That and then there is also accusers.

Post edited by lbunnae on

That is correct - he was addicted to doctor prescribed meds ever since his pepsi TV ad accident whereby he was horrifically burned.

There is no doubt at all he had a serious pain meds addiction and that ultimately killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Prince had similar work related injuries that got him hooked . Although he OD'd I believe

Tom Petty similar story I believe

Aside from that scenario, of course addiction is rampant in the music sector

Yes he did sleep with young boys! But.......did he sleep alone with a boy in his bed? NO!

His "bedroom" was 2 stories high and more like a penthouse apartment. In it were multiple king size beds (on different floors) and he had families stay overnight in his "bedroom" - boys and girls and their parents. So when you ignore the headline and give it context and the fully story - it's not as offensive at all.

There were actually more young girls than boys in Neverland visiting over the years but that was never focused on by the mainstream media.

There were literally hundreds of kids and families or stayed at Neverland and sleeping over. In 10 years the DA and FBI tried to get anyone to bring charges against him, file reports etc. and nobody did. Other than the main accusers at the trial - who were then proven as liars and Michael Jackson absolved from any wrong doing.

If Michael Jackson was a pedo there'd be a queue of families filing criminal charges against him. That's never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

That first sentence really cements the reason why people think he was a pedo. When you say alone? There was adults sometimes there.

• Advertisement

Did you not read the rest of the post? he had families with parents all stay over in a 2 floor penthouse apartment.

Advertisement