Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 year anniversary of the death of Michael Jackson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Well, some people probably do find his music forgettable. It’s all a matter of opinion. If a person does regard his music that way, the amount of downloads isn’t going to change their mind, is it?

The point is only a minority feel this way, the actual reality is in 100 years when were all dead there will still be people listening to Michael jackson's music

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Had Michael Jackson not died when he did he would have nowhere near those numbers. Not that I give a hoot about any of those other nostalgia acts touring the blue rinse circuit.

I disagree his music has been in top lists all over the world consistently since the 70s.

In the 80s, 90s etc. and the 10 years after his death.

It's been consistent.

Yeah sales took a bump when he died, but they've always been staggering high and I think will be forever, along with the likes of the Beatles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Greyfox wrote: »
    The point is only a minority feel this way, the actual reality is in 100 years when were all dead there will still be people listening to Michael jackson's music

How many though is the question. He has a very, very devoted core fanbase. Will he in 100 years? Who knows. I’d personally rate every other entry on that Twitter list much more highly than him musically. As I said earlier, he never figured in my greatest lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Greyfox wrote: »

He was a hugely influential figure in his time. I'm old enough to remember the hype around "Bad" coming out and the excitement of him playing live here. All of us are guilty (if that's the word) of listening to music made by people who were awful in real life. Michael Jackson was an utter creep and from that point of view, is no great loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

History tells us his music will be remembered long after his alleged sins are forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How many though is the question. He has a very, very devoted core fanbase. Will he in 100 years? Who knows. I’d personally rate every other entry on that Twitter list much more highly than him musically. As I said earlier, he never figured in my greatest lists.

He has a pretty devoted anti fanbase too, TBF.

Everyone on that list I'd say with certainty did some very dodgy things in their lifetime.

But that shouldn't take away from the music, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Pity his legacy was ruined by his desire for children.

Boggles wrote: »
    He has a pretty devoted anti fanbase too, TBF.

Everyone on that list I'd say with certainty did some very dodgy things in their lifetime.

He does indeed. Good.

I already said I don’t think his music should be banned.

Everyone on that list? Everyone? All band members of each band?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

They absolutely did and now no one remembers what those things were. Easy to Google though.

Precisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

A brilliantly talented entertainer. Singer, dancer, composer and all round showman. The Moonwalk for the Motown 25th anniversary concert was astonishing. A genius from an earlier age his talented dwarfing that of his brothers. He never got to have a normal childhood and I think this damaged him enormously. His whole existence was never normal. I can understand his father desire to lift the family out of poverty. Gary, Indiana, just outside Chicago is a poor former steel city.
    I actually don't think he molested any boys. It was definitely unwise to have sleepovers with children. That was naive in the extreme. Again I think he was childlike and in some ways never grew up. The Beatles never danced. Frank never composed. Michael did it all. His music has proved to be a lasting and magnificent legacy. Hope he has the peace in heaven that eluded him on earth.

• Advertisement

holyhead wrote: »
    A brilliantly talented entertainer. Singer, dancer, composer and all round showman. The Moonwalk for the Motown 25th anniversary concert was astonishing. A genius from an earlier age his talented dwarfing that of his brothers. He never got to have a normal childhood and I think this damaged him enormously. His whole existence was never normal. I can understand his father desire to lift the family out of poverty. Gary, Indiana, just outside Chicago is a poor former steel city.
    I actually don't think he molested any boys. It was definitely unwise to have sleepovers with children. That was naive in the extreme. Again I think he was childlike and in some ways never grew up. The Beatles never danced. Frank never composed. Michael did it all. His music has proved to be a lasting and magnificent legacy. Hope he has the peace in heaven that eluded him on earth.

How are people still trotting this out? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Here's a picture of him with someone he was clearly very attracted to.

MJ+Emmanuel+Lewis+Brooke+Shields

Also pictured is Brooke Shields.

How are people still trotting this out? :eek:

For the simple reason that it's true. :) Neverland was like a giant amusement park. Something an adult should only have a fleeting interest in. He never got to have a childhood never mind a normal childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Everyone on that list? Everyone? All band members of each band?

Yeah, especially McCartney. Married a Vegetarian and then a Vegan.

Twisted fúcker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Neverland was like a giant amusement park. Something an adult should only have a fleeting interest in.

But something that would attract a lot of lovely, little kiddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

Had a few good hits but overall I think he's had an awful influence on pop music. Most awful crap today would name him as a major influence.

He was an adult man with a massive amusement park at his house that he invited children, only boys mind you, to then slept in the same bed as them. After watching Home Alone he decided he just had to have Mcacaulay Culkin around for a sleepover. The same with any other child actors he saw in films.

Definitely nothing dodgy about any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Jackson's life story is a cautionary tale about how putting a kid into showbiz will mess them up..

What’s the modern equivalent bieber? If it bought me a bit of that Baldwin then f*ck it..... that’s a good looking girl actually Feldman has a pretty tidy looking token blonde too. I think she plays keys in his bizarre MJ tribute act

holyhead wrote:
    It was definitely unwise to have sleepovers with children. That was naive in the extreme. Again I think he was childlike and in some ways never grew up. The Beatles never danced. Frank never composed. Michael did it all.

Mental train of thought.

For the simple reason that it's true. :) Neverland was like a giant amusement park. Something an adult should only have a fleeting interest in. He never got to have a childhood never mind a normal childhood.

How can you possibly know that? To believe it is to believe Jackson was a complete simpleton. Did he seem like one to you? Because he sure didn’t to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I spent all my childhood playing the bodhran in a family trad act so I never had a normal childhood. Even though I'm a fully grown adult, I still retain my childlike wonder of the world. Will you let your kid sleep over in my bed tonight? I won't do anything, honest. He can play on my slide...

How can you possibly know that? To believe it is to believe Jackson was a complete simpleton. Did he seem like one to you? Because he sure didn’t to me.

I wouldn't say simpleton in terms of raw intelligence. But childlike. No man with an adult perspective would allow children to share a bed with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

1 Childlike?? I’ve some magic beans for sale. Haha haha

2. He robbed the moonwalk off some 20s dancer.

3. If there is a heaven and hell, he’s not up in heaven.

Jimmy Page slept with teenagers because he was just a big kid at heart.

9f8a48effac1f3767714228a2723b1ce.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Unless you are a paedo with unlimited cash.

I wouldn't say simpleton in terms of raw intelligence. But childlike. No man with an adult perspective would allow children to share a bed with him.

:eek:

I don’t think Jackson is the naïve one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

No it’s not true. It’s just an excuse that defenders make for giving the only man on the planet a free pass to sleep with young children. I don’t remember any songs written about Lego or ice cream, do you? His lyrics were sexually charged and he had a sexually aggressive presence on stage, he was not childlike, he was never diagnosed with any mental disability and Peter Pan Syndrome does not exist. And that’s before you take into account the fact he was mentally sound and astute enough to marry, produce shows and father children. He was a paedophile, plain and simple. Anyway, not getting into this shlte again.
    As for being 10 years dead, meh. No loss.

He should have just proved his innocence by moonwalking into the courtroom, saying "not guilty" and moonwalking back out. The whole trial would have just ended there and then.

No it’s not true. It’s just an excuse that defenders make for giving the only man on the planet a free pass to sleep with young children. I don’t remember any songs written about Lego or ice cream, do you? His lyrics were sexually charged and he had a sexually aggressive presence on stage, he was not childlike, he was never diagnosed with any mental disability and Peter Pan Syndrome does not exist. And that’s before you take into account the fact he was mentally sound and astute enough to marry, produce shows and father children. He was a paedophile, plain and simple. Anyway, not getting into this shlte again.
    As for being 10 years dead, meh. No loss.

Did you not hear? He had a totally unique condition called Michael Jackson Syndrome. WHY HIM? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Was playing Football Manager at the time.

Advertisement