Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 year anniversary of the death of Michael Jackson

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hard to believe it's ten years; they've gone by so fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Standing outside a pub when I heard. Wish I was standing outside a pub now.

Anyway, here comes the paedo discussion again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Shamone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

boselectajackson_paphotos_L50809-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

10 years. The perfect age.

A strange man who brought young boys into his bed.

Also a good singer and performer.

The latter doesn’t negate the former. The world shouldn’t miss people who act inappropriately (at best) with young children.

I’m okay with him being dead. No corpse can molest a child.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I still listen to his music, some absolute gems. If only people listened to the lyrics of Earthsong maybe we could have started to save this planet about 20 years ago :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

JayZeus wrote: »
    A strange man who brought young boys into his bed.

Also a good singer and performer.

The latter doesn’t negate the former. The world shouldn’t miss people who act inappropriately (at best) with young children.

I’m okay with him being dead. No corpse can molest a child.
    Ahem...
    thriller-eyes-337x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Absolute legend one of the greatest entertainers of all time and what a catalogue of music he left behind.

I don't know anything about all the other stuff only that he was never found guilty in court so I won't comment on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Having watched the documentary film of him after he died, I'd say the concerts in London would have been Fantastic, regardless of what you think of him. The OH and the young lad had tickets to go and see one of the shows. He was devastated. He's a qualified primary school teacher now. Jeez, where did that 10 years go :eek:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If only people listened to the lyrics of Earthsong maybe we could have started to save this planet about 20 years ago :)

I think I'd rather catastrophic climate change than have to listen to that song ever again. I will admit I'm not a fan, but God I despise that song in particular.

I'm still pissed off at my sister for ruining my perfectly good sleep at approx 1am with "Michael Jackson is dead!"

It's been ten years and I know I should let it go, but what was she thinking?

As for Jackson, let him burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

The allegations against him are enough for me to never listen to his music again. Was never really a fan but would turn off the radio if one his tunes came on.
    No smoke without fire.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm still pissed off at my sister for ruining my perfectly good sleep at approx 1am with "Michael Jackson is dead!"

It's been ten years and I know I should let it go, but what was she thinking?

My wife and I were on our first holiday together when I picked up a really bad infection. I literally couldn't move and slept for two days solid. She was left in a hotel room in Barcelona with a very ill, fairly new boyfriend and one English language TV channel, Sky News. She was subjected to repeating loops of his funeral non-stop for hours on end. She still hasn't forgiven me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wow, ten years ago.

Remember finding out he died right here on Boards, pretty much live at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

One of the great entertainers to ever walk the earth. It's a great shame how he was treated by society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

correction wrote: »
    One of the great entertainers to ever walk the earth. It's a great shame how he was treated by society.

First sentence I agree with. Second sentence, not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

I'm a lifelong fan of MJ but I was unsettled by recent accusations and other things in the past but a lot of people who knew MJ personally said he was one of the nicest people they've ever known and maybe was too naiive for the modern world, so I generally give MJ the benefit of the doubt. I really don't think he was capable of doing those things.

As for LN, Robson and Safechuck have too many inconsistencies in both their stories and past behaviour/statements to make me believe them.

Regardless of what comes out in the future, MJ can never truly be cancelled because he left too big a mark on music and culture. I mean, for example, the dance routine in the 'Thriller' video is probably the most iconic dance in history, I don't think anything since has come close to matching it's impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No smoke without fire.

Actually there is often smoke without fire when it comes to allegations of this type.

When you use that phrase you're basically saying 'all allegations are true and those accused are automatically guilty'

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

o1s1n wrote: »
    Actually there is often smoke without fire when it comes to allegations of this type.

When you use that phrase you're basically saying 'all allegations are true and those accused are automatically guilty'

Exactly!!!

My answer to that phrase is always 'Ever hear of a smoke machine?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Well, guilty until proven white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Didn't he marry the Presley women and she claimed he tried to **** in her mouth one night in bed in that book she wrote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

10 years ago.

I remember the exact time too.

It was when the big hand touched the little hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Farrah Fawcett also died on this day ten years ago. My father was far more upset and surprised about that than Jackson! TMI, father, TMI. Ewwwwww.

Natasha Richardson's 10th anniversary is coming up as well

I don't know anything about all the other stuff only that he was never found guilty in court so I won't comment on that.

I take it you wont hear a bad word said about Jimmy Saville either then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

LordBasil wrote: »
    Exactly!!!

My answer to that phrase is always 'Ever hear of a smoke machine?'

Mighty Boosh fan?

• Advertisement

Well, people are free to believe what they want because thankfully the thought police don’t exist.

branie2 wrote: »
    Natasha Richardson's 10th anniversary is coming up as well

I'm wrong; her anniversary was in March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Leroy Ambitious Ballerina

I was telling a joke .... McDonald’s are releasing a burger in honor of him 50 year old meat in ten year old buns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well, people are free to believe what they want because thankfully the thought police don’t exist.

Not sure how you extrapolated the above from my post or how that's in any way responding to my comment about the abhorrence of the phrase 'no smoke without fire'.

I will however click my jack booted heels together which you seem to think I am wearing and move on from this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

10 years - wtf?! One for the makes you feel old thread.

Not sure how you extrapolated the above from my post or how that's in any way responding to my comment about the abhorrence of the phrase 'no smoke without fire'.

I will however click my jack booted heels together which you seem to think I am wearing and move on from this thread.

It’s true that there can false allegations of child abuse. I’m guessing they would be more isolated claims where it’s quickly ascertained that what is claimed couldn’t possibly have happened. It’s a tad disingenuous to suggest MJ might fit that category, don’t you think? He ticks so many boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We're living in a time when it has become so fashionable to accuse people of sexual assault, and so fashionable to be part of the Me Too movement. There are actually lots of girls and guys out there who feel left out and want a Me Too story. It's sad, but that's the world we live in now.
    When he was on trial his music was played non stop and even more and more on the radio, back in 1993 his music was played more and more, his world tour sold out. But today two people who defended him non stop change their story and they somehow trump a criminal investigation by professional police and detectives from the LAPD to the FBI, to the CIA, and now we must not play his music because two guys who are broke have some make belief story, and want money. It's kinda funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Oh boy. I’m sorry for starting this.

“Professional police”? What, as opposed to amateur police? Police who are competing in the Olympics?

Think o1s1n meant in a general sense, and it's true imo.

As for the abuse allegations against Michael Jackson - questioning the allegations and what is claimed by the men in Leaving Neverland is one thing, but stating that he definitely didn't do it, as if it's fact, is sheer ludicrousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

As Louis Theroux said about the guilty vs innocent argument - There needs to be a higher bar set for people in society than simply being 'Not guilty'. When we assess someone's character, there should be a minimum standard below which people shouldn't pass.

Being an adult and having sleepovers with children is a good example of passing below the minimum standard required for being a good and decent member of society. Guilty or not guilty, we need to have higher standards than that, unless of course we're speaking of jail time or punishment, which we're not.

We're living in a time when it has become so fashionable to accuse people of sexual assault, and so fashionable to be part of the Me Too movement. There are actually lots of girls and guys out there who feel left out and want a Me Too story. It's sad, but that's the world we live in now.
    When he was on trial his music was played non stop and even more and more on the radio, back in 1993 his music was played more and more, his world tour sold out. But today two people who defended him non stop change their story and they somehow trump a criminal investigation by professional police and detectives from the LAPD to the FBI, to the CIA, and now we must not play his music because two guys who are broke have some make belief story, and want money. It's kinda funny if it wasn't so tragic.
    Yeah the FBI are NOT going to get involved in something unless they have very sufficient grounds to. They're not eejits.

Why would the CIA be involved?

• Advertisement

Oh boy. I’m sorry for starting this.

“Professional police”? What, as opposed to amateur police? Police who are competing in the Olympics?

IE they knew what they were doing and left no stone unturned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I liked that documentary they did where they filmed him visiting the Osbourne's.

A rarely seen look at what goes on behind closed doors when celebrity visits celebrity.

CPTM wrote: »
    As Louis Theroux said about the guilty vs innocent argument - There needs to be a higher bar set for people in society than simply being 'Not guilty'. When we assess someone's character, there should be a minimum standard below which people shouldn't pass.

Being an adult and having sleepovers with children is a good example of passing below the minimum standard required for being a good and decent member of society. Guilty or not guilty, we need to have higher standards than that, unless of course we're speaking of jail time or punishment, which we're not.

Abso-bally-lutely. How anyone can defend the confirmed stuff we know is beyond me. Someone in this thread said they thought he was just too naïve for the modern world. What the fup is that shït? He was a talented, above-averagely intelligent person. Too naïve? Get to feck.

Yeah the FBI are NOT going to get involved in something unless they have very sufficient grounds to. They're not eejits.

Why would the CIA be involved?

Sneddon had connections within the CIA, true or not who knows. They helped him with his investigation ''apparently'' . So many smoke and mirrors surround Jackson no one knows truth from fiction any more.

Abso-bally-lutely. How anyone can defend the confirmed stuff we know is beyond me. Someone in this thread said they thought he was just too na for the modern world. What the fup is that sh He was a talented, above-averagely intelligent person. Too na? Get to feck.

But it's confirmed by every other kid that stayed there that Michael was not like that at all. So so many want nothing to do with the two story tellers, and actually say it's all bull what they are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

goodbye-michael-jackson_o_286537.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

But it's confirmed by every other kid that stayed there that Michael was not like that at all. So so many want nothing to do with the two story tellers, and actually say it's all bull what they are saying.

I don't care what people said happened there or didn't happen there. The sleepover happening was enough for me.

If there was a man in my estate who wanted to have sleepovers with my kids, he's not a decent member of society in my opinion. I don't care if they watched disney movies all night long, he's failed the test already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

If he was still living, even if he wasn't a paedophile, his music would have been consigned to the past by now. He had a huge resurgence of popularity in the last ten years because he died but for a decade or more before he died he was just another 80s relic.

But sure, in every prison across this land and every land are inmates who committed serious crimes but likely plenty of people who knew them thought they were a grand fella or grand woman. So that tells us precisely nothing. The father of a childhood friend of my husband was jailed for child abuse. Hubs and everyone in his locality were shocked and somewhat disbelieving when the allegations first emerged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

That's ignorant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement