Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housemate, toilet door issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

I'm very sorry if I didn't explain it properly in the first message. I have re read it and yes I made a typo. He is doing this everytime somebody uses the bathroom, my apologies.

I am capable of dealing with it but no harm in asking a discussion board if anybody has encountered a similar issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭JVince

For the op, I have 12 staff on today. Male and female. 17-50+

I showed them this thread and asked how many close the bathroom door and how many leave it open.

All 12 said door is closed after using.

It really seems you are the outlier and the tenant is normal.

I actually didn't explain myself properly on the initial post, he is coming out of his room and he is closing the bathroom door anytime he sees that it is open.

It is not just when he is using it.

But if people think that's normal than so be it, the people have spoken!

I particularly find it a bit odd if my stepdaughter has just finished doing her fake tan, has gone back into her bedroom and then he comes out of his room, to close the bathroom door and then goes back into his room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I love these threads where the original story gets revised slightly every time the OP realises the consensus isn't with them.

Come on, OP. If he was doing what you've just described you'd have said as much originally.

I don't have any reason to lie this is exactly what's happening, I was just speaking into my phone and letting it type out the message and I very stupidly did not re read what it typed out.

Anyway the issue will be dealt with. I don't need people to agree with me and I don't expect people to agree with me that's why I put it into a public forum just to get everybody's take on it.

Sadly I didn't get the right information out correctly in the first instance so that's my bad, I'm more than happy to hold up my hand when I've made a mistake I am only human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I don’t know how you didn’t realise you left that part out of the OP much sooner - weren’t you wondering why nobody was addressing it, and in all your subsequent posts you didn’t mention it. Hard to know what the truth is now but regardless - why don’t you just talk to him about it!

I didn't realise I made the mistake until somebody pointed it out to me, brain fog what can you do I'm only human!

Anyway it will be discussed with him and if we can to come to some happy agreement then he may need to leave because I can't have my stepdaughters feeling uncomfortable with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

How does a thread which largely about shutting a toilet door make it to 3 pages? Are we sure this shouldn't be in AH. As a side anywhere I've lived Jack's door was always open unless someone is in there. Op just let him know the door is always left open when not in use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I close the bathroom door everytime I pass if it's open, with passive vents, windows, no radiators, they tend to be colder, so suck heat, and in my head, it's visually nicer not to have the bathroom doors open. It's probably just a habit, just say it to him, he will stop, end of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

If you're living in a house I'm surprised that your main bathroom doesn't have a window, even a velux one. Don't recall ever being in a house without window in main bathroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I’d be more concerned that he moved in when you allowed him to drop off some stuff and expected him to move in later. Shows disrespect for you. You need a meeting laying down the house rules and he can accept or move.

Eating in his bedroom is something I wouldn’t tolerate as I’m afraid of attracting mice.

Surely dishes washed in bathroom need to be re washed before use!

Really don’t think you are a good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jesus, threads like this make me so glad I own my place and don't have to be subject to other people's neuroses. Bathroom door open, bathroom door closed, I honestly couldn't give a ****. Personally I like to have it open so I don't have to knock to check if someone is using it before entering but I'm not going to freak out if someone leaves it closed either.

Yeah I made it very clear Saturday was move in day.

Just busy with kids they go home tomorrow all will be dealt with then.

Thank you everybody for your input it's much appreciated both bad and good!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭holliehobbie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I've never given our bathroom door a thought til this thread.

Our is.alwaya open unless in use. I love fresh air. Window is open the minute I get up and remains open all day every day until bedtime.

Personally this man coming around so soon when you hadn't the room ready yet would be an irritant to me.

Maybe it's something to do with his religion but tbh I wouldn't have any patience with his door closing.

It's only a couple.of days. Who knows what his next annoying habit will be.

I'd be asking him to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I feel like I spend my life closing doors after people. It's an exercise in futility trying to keep a house warm in winter when there are doors open all over the place.

That's a no from me lol ill sit down for that performance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭nachouser

Made up bathrooms in made up houses don't need windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mykrodot

God this thread makes me so glad I don't share my house with strangers. Family are fine, but the thought of having strangers in my loo, and that loo has no window or vent would just make me a bit sick. Add to that the OP wanting the lodger to leave the door open after a No 2 - just yuk! Say if you're cooking your dinner and this putrid smell from someone else is all over the house - I just couldn't deal with that.

Its a bit like you don't mind changing your own baby's dirty nappy but feel sick changing someone elses baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You obviously don't use public or work toilets .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭gipi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭jacool

You could post them on the bathroom door, inside or outside, up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Are you my mother? Walks around my place closing doors constantly, I like them all open, all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hmm, that looks like the bathroom in the attic conversion?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mykrodot

see I don't mind that at all..... needs must. Its just the idea in my own house, dunno, I'm just weird about that kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Eh, my late mother was a divil for opening the back door from the kitchen, Winter and Summer, and forgetting to close it. My late Dad had a great sense of humour, hated the cold, but rarely complained about the phantom back door opening letting the cold in. When absolutely riled he would say "Hey would ya ever shut that feckin door, we must have the hottest back garden in Ireland!"

Always remember that saying when someone is heading off and manages to stand for the last yap at the front door letting the cold air in to MY house lol. I just change the saying to "front garden", and goodbye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

You need to put a spring on the door OP, to swing the door open once he's dropped his turd off and come out.

Or get a much stronger fan so everyone can close the door and leave the smells where they belong - in the bathroom, rather than on the landing.

(Washing dishes in the sink in the bathroom, yuck yuck yuck that is a much bigger problem!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

First up, user name certainly doesn’t check out.

Secondly, my house doesn’t have a window in the main bathroom.

2005 semi-d in an estate. The bathroom is on the attached side, with bedrooms in front and behind.

There’s an extractor fan on the ceiling, and a kind of a circular plastic skylight, with a reflective foil tube that goes up through the attic to a plastic dome in the roof. It lets in a bit of light, but can’t be opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭JayRoc

This is classic boards.

Posters will insist that whatever is the norm in their limited experience/social group/demographic is somehow the standard everywhere (Sure who uses a post office nowadays, it's 2024/cash is dead/everyone has a garden/etc) and even when people explain in the very same thread that this isn't the case, and why, you still get the insistence that "well I don't know anyone who does this so you must all be outliers".

But yeah, long story short, a geezer renting a room in your family home keeps legging out of his room to passive-aggressively try and change what is clearly the done thing in your household . It's weird, and he's taking liberties. Not a good fit

Advertisement