Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housemate, toilet door issue

Options
  • 03-02-2024 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

We rent our spare room, agreed to rent to a gentleman who came to view it. Advised today would be the move in date as previous tenant only moved out on Thursday morning and I needed time to turn the room around.

He asked could he come around yesterday to bring over some of his stuff which I agreed too. He arrived at 12:30 p.m. and he never left!! The room is still not finished yet, I have painting to do and none of the mattress protectors or topper are back on the bed yet he has moved all of his stuff in the room which is a little bit annoying.

I had to attend a meeting in work so didn't have time to challenge it then husband and kids arrived home and well it just wasn't important after that feeding the animals was.

Anyway the thing that is really baffling us is that this person keeps closing the toilet door after EDIT EVERYBODY every time they use it. We are a very much open toilet door house because there is not a window in the bathroom and like to make sure that there is as much ventilation as possible in the room.

I am going to speak to him today, I think he might be Muslim and I think according to Google it might be something they do. I don't want to be disrespectful to his beliefs but the goddess in this house likes fresh air in her bathroom as much as possible!

Any tips or pointers on how to address this?

If I'm honest not getting a good vibe from them but want to give it a fair chance and try get the awkwardness out of the way today and set off on the right foot.

Post edited by Fiona on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Firstly, get your husband to say it to him. Secondly ask outright. "Is there a reason?" Explain your wishes. If he's not happy, ask him to leave. He's a licensee, not a tenant. Has no rights to notice

Good luck 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

I wouldn't want to live with somebody who leaves the bathroom door open.

He's not being weird about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

Do this gentleman a favour and ask him to find somewhere else to live

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This sounds like such an insignificant thing, if you want him to leave that door open, then when you are talking to him just say that.

I'm not trying to be dismissive, but if you can't set even that tiny little boundary, whats going to happen if you need to pull him up on something important?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is it not basic manners to close the door after you when leaving the bathroom especially after having a number two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Any tips or pointers on how to address this?" - fit a fan or a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Take the door off the hinges.

Did your last tenant, the one who you didn't like using their phone, leave the door open for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

I've no problem saying it to him.

Just trying to be respectful at it appears to be a belief attached to his religion from what I can make out.

If he thinks he can't sleep at night as the door needs to be closed to ward off evil spirits then living here is not gonna work so I'll have to be totally honest with him.

When there is no window not really, you gotta leave the door open to let the air get in and stop mould and condensation from forming.

Each to their own but we have no mould and condensation in our bathroom, we are here 3 years so what we are doing must be working and we'd like to keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Actually that buttons up your shite smell keeping it in there for hours for the next person a room requires flow. It won't ventilate with just the vent on the wall . Oddly many people don't seem to know this and are happy storing up their shite for the next person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭left_hander

This!!! If he's done a number 2 in the bathroom do you want that smell going all over your house? I think he is doing you a favour closing it and he probably thinks the same

Why isn't the bathroom ventilated anyway?

He did leave the door open all the time. He liked his fresh air too.

Funnily enough I took the door off the hinges in my ensuite but the main bathroom needs a bit of privacy.

But thank you for digging up my old posts for whatever relevance they hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Take in an Erasmus exchange student. They are never there and are great craic when they are. Good for you and kids if any, to find out about the student's country and learn a bit of the lingo. Applies to the student also vicey versey. I know this from my niece and her husband who are youngish and find the arrangement ideal. The students don't stay long term either and are out and about studying or on the raz with their new found Irish student mates. Money is very good too and falls under Rent a Room.

There now. Was that a handy bit of info for everyone or what? 🤣

We leave the landing window open for ventilation to help against that.

That's really good I will look into that thank you x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭Xander10

Sounds like he is being polite and trying to keep the odours inside

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You're welcome!

Regarding your current tenant, there's no specific edict in Islam to close a toilet door after use, but there is a requirement to close external doors at night (Sahih al-Bukhari 3304). Do you like to keep them open at night too?

However, on the off chance that he's just being cautious about Jinn congregating in the bathroom, and wishes to protect you all, you can assure him that you will recite the Surah Baqara, which Sahih Muslim 780 guarantees will banish Satan form your house.

Here's a video of the Surah Baqara for you to practice. It's the quick version - only 46 minutes.

All other doors closed for fire safety, toilet door the only one we don't close.

Jesus I may start practicing this so, now tell me will this banish my stepkids too or just Satan lol

(I joke I love them!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Have you brought it to his attention? I leave the bathroom door open after a shower in my current place as there isn’t great ventilation but I wouldn’t leave it open after being in there generally. All you have to do is say it to him, you haven’t given him a chance - he can’t mind read random rules. Why don’t you make a list or house rules and pin it somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭JVince

This can't be a serious post?

There's an issue if you don't have ventilation in the bathroom.

I close the door of the loo after using it as does my wife as do work colleagues.

In fact I would think it strange to leave a toilet door open.

I think a look in the mirror will see where the strangeness is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,219 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭herbalplants

It is gas I do that all the time, meaning leave the bathroom door open even so I have a big velux window in the bathroom.

On the other hand, when I am in my mother's house, she goes ape shape if I don't close the bathroom door after using the bathroom. She has big window too in the bathroom and she hates seeing the bathroom door open.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Are these evil spirts paying rent at the market rate?

I have a feel this is going to be a good thread before the mod shuts it down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

You're making assumptions after doing a quick Google. I actually can't believe this is a thread for such a tiny issue. Just say to him that you prefer the bathroom door be left open because there is no ventilation in the bathroom. It couldn't be any easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

Have you actually mentioned it to him yet or should this thread actually be titled "My housemate can't read my mind and I'm incapable of dealing with that"?

House rules provided with tenancy agreement, I didn't include anything about the door in it, never had to say it to anybody else to be fair, never been a problem before with the previous renters.

He is eating in his room and washing dishes in the bathroom sink so there will be a chat had today.

There is a kitchen in the house and thats where dishes and eating is done, I suspect this gentleman needs a 1 bed apt and not a bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

This might be a classic "apartment versus house" thing. I've spent the last 25 years living in apartments or flats and I would always leave the bathroom door open after using it. Otherwise the next poor beggar to use it would be in for a bad time.

The same after showering etc. Otherwise the place gets damp and mouldy. Maybe it's just the kind of places I've lived but it's by no means an odd habit to be in, it's necessary!

There is a fan but they don't do enough I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Well the eating in his room and washing dishes in the bathroom are problematic. The leaving the bathroom door closed is not an obvious one, as you can see here it varies from person to person - it’s not something that can be guessed.

Did you get references from him?

Advertisement