Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housemate, toilet door issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Seems like you want someone to pay your mortgage but not the inconvenience

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Luna84

Can I ask why are you renting a room out if when someone moves in you have a problem with them. As someone already posted you had an issue with another tenant in the past. Someone like you shouldn't be renting a room out if you will keep finding fault with who ever moves in.

I wouldn't fancy living with someone so I DO NOT rent a room out. Simply you just aren't cut out to rent a room out to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This is such a bank holiday thread.

How is anyone actually believing this is real 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

Yeah I had a problem with a tenant constantly on his phone fighting to his girlfriend. Then started self harming and being physical during his phone arguments so he was promptly asked to leave.

I don't think anybody would settle for that in their own home? Would you? I'd question your standards if you did.

As I said last tenant was a dream got on great and very sad to see him go so I'll disagree with your comment.

There is a man in my house who didn't keep to the schedule as agreed for moving in.

He is preparing food in his room which he was asked not to do when he came to view the room, and is in the tenancy agreement he signed.

He is closing the door after all of us use a communal room in the home.

Nobody knows what it's like to live with a stranger, I'm not a bad person nor is he just because we are not compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Leaving your bathroom door open after taking a crap so it can stink up the whole house... literally unhinged behaviour.

I would only leave open after a shower to let the moisture out, after a crap it gets sealed shut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭scottser

OP, this is all on you. Ever occur to you that he might well be offended by the hum from you and your family's shites.

Seriously, fit a vent. It's not a big ask, especially if you have money coming in. Personally I'd rather **** in a bucket outside than suffer your stinky jax every day.

If you took the time to be intelligent and actually read any of my posts you will find that he is going into the bathroom to close the door after anytime we are in there, fake tanning, brushing teeth, cleaning, showering, applying contact lenses etc.

We have a bathroom downstairs that has a window that's where we go the majority of the time when nature calls.

But thank you for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

“We are a very much open toilet door house”

You need to invest in a bathroom extractor fan. It’s absolutely weird to have to leave the bathroom (and I assume toilet) open after you use it. It would stink the house out and cause serious condensation issues.

As for the speculation about the tenant being a Muslim having anything to do with bathroom ventilation is just utterly bizarre. Is this a troll thread ?!

They're just used to bathrooms that are properly built with adequate ventilation - i.e. normal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Bathrooms are used for other than emptying bowels. Judging by the posts on here you people must have some serious bowel contents.

I've never had the experience of any of my family sti king the place out, as someone so eloquently posted.

What do you people eat😲

Tbh this man is pis$ing me off with his behaviour and I don't have to put up with him.

And I definitely would never have a stranger stay in my home, mortgage or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

I'm more shocked by the fact that this adult renting a room is not allowed to eat in his room.

OP sounds like a landlord from hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

He moved in before the agreed time, which means he has no problems taking liberties, I'd have moved him out immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

If that the case, it’s no wonder so many houses here are damp and have mould problems.

Anyway, I give up! A lot of the people on this thread seem to think your strange, badly built houses and impractical, unpleasant work arounds for bad design are normal.

None of that is going to change the reality that it’s rather weird to ventilate your bathroom into the rest of the house, and even weirder still to get annoyed with a person closing the bathroom / toilet door.

Just fix your house and get a bathroom fan installed rather than blaming your tenants!

I'm not sure if you have had a chance to read the whole thread but I do actually have a fan in the bathroom.

It's 3 years old as we renovated all of the bathrooms when we bought the house.

However a very kind poster on here alerted me to a different type of fan that can be installed and I most definitely will be looking into that to see will it work.

What won't work is somebody who keeps coming out of their bedroom, to close the bathroom door, after somebody has walked into the bathroom to do something because they have a thing about it.

However what appears to be the issue more now is that they are cooking and preparing food in their bedroom and cleaning utensils in the bathroom and that is just not something that is okay.

I clearly stressed when they came to view the house that it was okay that they had all of their own cooking materials but that they were expected to do all of the cooking and eating of hot food in the kitchen and I cleared space for them in the fridge, freezer and presses to accommodate.

So I just think this person really needs to get their own self-contained unit because doing that in a bedroom in the family home it's just not going to work unfortunately and more importantly it is a massive fire hazard cooking in a bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭HazeDoll

If you have another bathroom why does this have to be an issue at all?

Fiona, you might have figured this out for yourself but some of the people agreeing with you here are delighted that a Muslim is going to be told that he can't come over here and get on with things, he has to fit in with the way things are done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,551 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well if he had a moved in when we agreed then I could have gone through the proper move in process with him as in give him a tour of the house and explain where everything is, but sadly he didn't keep to that end of the bargain and he moved himself in when he said he was just going to drop over some stuff and he caught me at a really bad time because I had to go into a work meeting.

He obviously would have seen everything when he came to view the house but it's different on moving day you go into everything in a little bit more detail to make sure that they're comfortable with how everything works etc alarm shower the basics.

I don't care what religion you are where you come from but you need to come some arrangement with the people that you live with to ensure that everybody can live in harmony.

Unfortunately he is not playing by the rules in terms of food preparation so that is going to be just a huge problem for all of us because a bedroom is not designed for that, and we already can smell it when we're going to bed so it's just not going to work.

Kitchen is for cooking. Bedroom is for dressing, sleeping and riding. I mean you can have sex in the kitchen as well I don't care as long as you clean up after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭HazeDoll

The title of your thread suggests very clearly that the issue was the toilet door. You tried to imply that his very rational desire to keep that bathroom door closed was in some way responsible for making visitors to the house uncomfortable. Posters have enlightened you and pointed out that the unfortunate lodger is not the weird one. Now you're saying that there are so many other problems that his position is untenable.

You need to leave this thread for a while and have a proper think about whether you are suited to this sort of arrangement at all.

Yes the toilet was the initial problem but now that he has been here for more than 24 hours we are seeing a pattern emerge.

We explained to him what was expected in terms of cooking when he came to view the house and that is clearly being ignored along with the agreed move in date.

If he is a private person that's no problem but then he needs to move into his own self-contained unit as living with a family and sharing a kitchen is not going to suit him.

It's very clear that we are not suited to each other and that is something that you will only find once you live with somebody. Doesn't make either party a bad person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Get rid, this thread sound bonkers.

bonkers for letting the room out in your house, letting a stranger in your family dynamic, I’d rather go without food than rent a room in that situation, can’t be that hard up .

and this fella doesn’t have any shame by the sounds of it, not a hope in hell I could live someone else’s families house, and then to just blatantly ignore what you told him with regards move in date and rules.

tell him move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

So what’s he cooking the food on?

• Advertisement

Looks to be something like this, he has plates, cups, and a saucepan in the room.

I just had a quick peek in the room this morning when he left the house.

Sorry but just not acceptable in a bedroom.

Well unfortunately some taxpayers are that hard up it's pure crap but what can you do.

This income helps, a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Sono

What a thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭thereiver

The problem here is bad design eg all bathrooms should have a small window that can be left open for ventilation most people close a door in a bathroom after using it

thats nothing to do with being Muslim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't think "peaking" in someone's room is acceptable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Luna84

You can be full well she done a lot more than peak in the door. She sounds like a nut job.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

When he comes in this evening just call him into kitchen, offer coffee,and explain that due to his early arrival you had omitted to explain to him the house dynamics. Show him spaces in kitchen, explain that food storage and consumption, takes place in kitchen,,show him around living areas, explain bathroom door, fill him in on quiet times in house etc. Be friendly and welcoming and all should be sorted.

Ok and what factual evidence do you have to support that comment?

Were you there? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You can’t go into the guy’s room without his permission.

That’s surely not up for debate?

• Advertisement

Well given that some of my property was still in the room because he moved in before he was meant to move in I'm pretty sure I was allowed pop my head in this morning to get my paint and tools back.

He also has no chair for his desk because it's on the landing so I put that into the room for him.

I don't think those two actions are unreasonable given the circumstances.

Advertisement