Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The 3 club football titles went to Ulster teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Nope. You haven't. 4th time saying it now. Repeat it again and you'll have 5 in a row, which is unique for a Kerryman 😘. You can be King Puck this year.

Also, for the record, I've accused you of avoiding questions by fobbing me off, usually by saying "refer to my previous answers".

Your reply to this accusation is to ask "which questions have I done that with" and, when I gave you one single example, you then say "please refer to my previous answers", thereby proving my point.

You can at least see the contradiction and irony in this reply, yes? And why everyone else thinks you're on the wind up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

More nonsense , you have been found out , you are fooling no one , its all so clear why you want Dublin split , you have made a right idiot of yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

I already answered that, repeatedly, but happy to humour you and answer it again. If Dublin are split, New York are helped in several way. One, because the unfair advantages Dublin currently enjoy are no longer concentrated into a single team but are instead dispersed among several. But more importantly, as the prestige, integrity and fairness of the competition are enhanced (due to less unfairness because Dublin alone are no longer uniquely unfairly advantaged), interest and competitiveness will increase, helping all counties in the longer term, including Dublin.

I think maybe the problem here is you are not considering the alternative. Without splitting Dublin, they'll continue to win off a platform of advantages that it's obvious to everyone is unfair. Interest is declining as people don't want to compete in a competition where one team alone is uniquely unfairly advantaged. So without spltting Dublin, the All-Ireland competition will wither away, which will be immensely harmful. You also seen to persist in the fixed, false belief that Dublin alone are not uniquely advantaged and that their successes have come fairly. Once you let go of this idea, reality will become a lot plainer.

Essentially it boils down to:

Winning unfairly = bad for everyone

Steps to reduce unfairness = good for everyone

As I've said before, minor discrepancies can be tolerated but the scale, nature, combination and duration of Dublin's advantages mean they should be split. And they alone- nobody else even comes close. And it's not a perception- it's been repeatedly proven how playing pool, funding, playing at home etc. are advantages in sport. Any one of these individually would be an issue but combine them for decades as in Dublin's case and it's a big, big problem for the GAA. The Games Development funding helps the senior team (due to players ageing and reduced opportunity cost from other spending) but most importantly, Dublin alone were favoured again here.

• Advertisement

Answered in the other post- I have been very patient with you but you should at least try to answer the points raised rather than pretending I haven't answered you. You have failed to answer the questions I put to you however- as I said, your projection is strong.

This sad individual has to be on the wind up , Kerry Cork Down Galway Mayo etc have both population and funding advantages over Leitrim Longford Carlow etc , but doesn't give a monkeys about these Counties , just like he doesn't give a monkeys about Waterford Clare Limerick in Munster , all he is after is weakening Dublin to help his own County Kerry remain the dominant force in inter County football. This farce of a thread needs to be shut down its ridiculous going around in circles .

As I've said before all you want is to weaken Dublin to help your County Kerry , splitting Dublin will do nothing for the weaker Counties, Kerry Cork Galway Mayo Down etc would have to be split also and mergers too . You have been found out and are fooling no one .

I have proposed something that helps Leitrim, Longford and Carlow. And helps Waterford, Limerick and Clare. And that something is splitting Dublin. This helps all counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Do you think splitting Dublin into 4 or 5 county teams will benefit Dublin hurling and hurling in general? Or kill it off completely

• Advertisement

Depends on how funding has been allocated really. If it was mostly for the footballers, it may be the case that only a two-way split is warranted for the hurlers to benefit the organisation.

I was only in favour of a two-way split of the footballers on population grounds prior to the now decades of overfunding for instance. Now unfortunately a 4+ way split is needed to really help the GAA.

Kerry aren't 2nd best in hurling, he was doesn't give a monkeys.

Master

So how does a two way split of Dublin hurling benefit the organisation?

You have proposed splitting Dublin to help your own County Kerry , you have been found out , your fooling no one !!

Your not interested in helping the GAA , Your only INTERESTED in splitting Dublin to help your own County Kerry , again you have been found out and are fooling no one .

That's not an answer. Well it is, technically speaking, but it's not really. It's like my "42" answers earlier in the thread. I told you that the integrity, prestige and fairness would be in tatters if you deliberately hobble the strongest team so that Kerry can win. You ignored that part and just repeated the same words back to me. That's because you can't answer the question honestly, due to the fact that it blows your entire argument out of the water.

I'm not asking about the overall integrity etc of the competition. I'm asking you how having extra Dublin teams improves their chances at progressing further in it. Your refusal to actually address the question is quite telling. Your hypocrisy in telling me to address your points, doubly so. And now you're admonishing me for avoiding questions while you a) are actively avoiding answering questions and b) refused to reveal where you were from for more than a decade.

Projection indeed.

Here it is, in simple terms:

Let's say that Leitrim and New York are the two worst teams in the AI. They are both 100/1 to get to the AI QF, which is the first time they could possibly meet Dublin.

You split Dublin into 4 teams before a ball is kicked.

Now, which of the following is most likely to happen to their odds of making the QF:

1) reduced to 90/1 (their chances have improved, meaning you were right)

2) increased to 120/1 (their chances have disimproved, meaning you were wrong) or

3) still 100/1 (because whether or not there are 60 Dublin teams, this has no bearing on the likelihood of them making it out of the provincials, which also means you were wrong)

There you go. Three possible answers, but only one correct one. I predict that you will refuse to pick one of them and instead resort to your "rising tide lifts all boats" shite or some other meandering bollocks. Again.

I'm asking you, in front of everyone on this thread, for a straightforward answer..... Either 1, 2 or 3.

My money is on a huge pile of weasel words that you think carefully navigates through this simple question, but ultimately exposes you for the hypocritical fraud that you've shown yourself to be. Again.

"You can at least see the contradiction and irony in this reply, yes? And why everyone else thinks you're on the wind up?"

Two more questions you refused to answer, by the way.

Same reason a split of Dublin helps the organisation- they're in such an insanely advantaged position when it comes to population (and potentially funding) that it's not a fair competition, even if they don't win every year. Splitting them disperses these advantages, reducing the unfairness and improving the prestige, integrity and fairness of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Minor discrepancies?

84 titles is not a minor discrepancy. If there is to be a level playing field, something needs to be done about Kerry's dominance in Munster.

Really, as I said already, do posters want a level playing field, or do they just want to create an advantage for their own county team?

You're coming from a position where the status quo is fair and can be justified- you need to drop this notion, Dublin are unfairly advantaged over everyone else, for the reasons already given. So the prestige, integrity and fairness of the All-Ireland are enhanced by steps taken to ameliorate this unfairness, such as by splitting Dublin. So in fact I have answered your question already and blown your argument out of the water in the process! Your refusal to actually address my questions is quite telling. Your hypocrisy in telling me to address your points, doubly so.

I've comprehensively addressed this question already but will do so again. Splitting Dublin enhances the prestige, integrity and fairness of the competition as they are so unfairly advantaged at the moment. This helps all counties, right down to Leitrim. By splitting them, competitiveness and interest will increase for all counties as people rightfully are getting tired of a competition which is so stacked in favour of one team. Benefits will be marginal to begin with but will be massive as the years progress (in an inverse of Dublin's overfunding was marginally harmful to begin with but then became catastophic for the GAA). So after Dublin are split and as the benefits go up, Leitrim's chances of winning the All-Ireland will improve, no question about it. You're again ignoring the devastating impact of the continuation of the status quo- Dublin win unfairly, interest and competitiveness drop and the game withers away like the Railway Cup (or even the Leinster Championship)- in this case, Letirim's chances would disimprove, if the competition even continued to exist. So taking your highly contrived scenario, Leitrim would go to 90/1 after a split and things would get even better for them from there, as it would for all counties, including Dublin.

• Advertisement

But I didn't contradict myself. I've been fully consistent- Dublin alone are unfairly advantaged, this harms everyone and splitting them reduces this unfairness. It's not a windup to want what is best for the GAA.

I want to create a level playing field, which is best done by splitting Dublin. Again you're looking at the outputs- the inputs into the success are more important. Kilkenny winning all round them from 2006-12 was not a problem as they were not doing it from an unfairly advantaged position, unlike in Dublin's who benefited massively from population, funding and home pitch advantage. Similarly, Dublin not winning every year doesn't mean they weren't unfairly advantaged- say a team starts with a 5-point headstart every game; even if they don't win they are still unfairly advantaged.

Basically, winning fairly is fine. Unfairly, as in Dublin's case, is a big problem and steps need to be taken to address it to level the playing field. The single best way to do that is by splitting Dublin.

Weasel words, copy & paste job, refusal to answer the question. As predicted.

You, sir, are a fraud.

You are so far removed from what you are saying that you're getting confused.

That question wasn't anything to do with Dublin or the GAA or advantages.

It was about your tenuous grasp of the English language and how you were contradicting your own words.

I accused you of avoiding questions by saying "already answered that", you said you didn't avoid any, and I gave an example of one such question, and asked you to answer it.

You then replied to that question with "already answered that".

GET. THE. BLEEDIN. BOAT.

Well we know the answer to that one

The Kerry Man is fooling no one

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have already pointed out how Kerry are in an advantaged position in football compared to say Sligo or Roscommon. In your opinion, it is not an unfair advantage, but to others it may well be.

Who annointed you as the arbitrator of which advantage is fair or unfair? There is no objective definition of fairness. I have already shared with you a perspective that determines Dublin have no unfair advantage.

Master

Not a shred of reason or logic. Might as well be splitting New York hurlers for those reasons - population and "potentially funding". Silly stuff.

Again Kerry Cork Galway Mayo etc are unfairly advantaged over Leitrim Longford Carlow etc , you don't want what's best for the GAA , You want Dublin split so your own County can dominate, you are fooling no one .

Not all, just a direct response to a question I had already responded to multiple times. You asked me what the new odds would be for Leitrim after a split. Using your three options, I said 90/1 and explained why for good measure. Now you're saying I didn't answer the question. I'm starting to think you live in your own reality. You should start engaging with topics rather than just denying everything that contradicts your world view.

• Advertisement

I had already answered that- you saying I hadn't doesn't make it true, you're generally extremely inaccurate in almost everything you say. As I already explained, you asked me what the new odds would be in your hypothetical scenario which I answered, despite having no obligation to do so. I had already comprehensively explained that topic to you before.

To reiterate- splitting Dublin alone helps all counties.

Advertisement