Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭green daries

You could go yourself volunteering like be no need to deport you or anything I bey we could even have a whip round to get you ticket's .......even a couple of the kids could go give a chance for everyone else to get a house.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,835 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

As I said, the usual suspects will rise to pooh pooh the idea that Ukrainians wanted for service should be returned.

What sort of moral fibre have ye lot got? You're a disgrace. I would expect any self respecting Ukrainian of service age to actually want to return to do their bit for their country. That is what is required of you as a citizen and always has been so. It's a very basic duty.

And yes, if I has found myself in that position I'd be doing just that, just like my grandfathers signed up in WW1 and uncle in WW2.

And I'd hope you'd do the same if it came to defending Ireland/ EU against an existential war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭green daries

Right jasus that's a very stirring speech......I'll go along with you myself we better get good armour plates and stuff ........ or maybe we'll just stay nice and cozy at home with too much to eat and drink and spit vile comments on an anonymous forum 😒😒😒 plonker

You're missing an important point - Ireland is not currently being invaded by Russians (in a military sense anyway). We are obligated to assist Ukraine as we can but we are not obligated as Irish citizens to sign up to do our bit.

Ukrainian citizens are though - it is their duty to defend their country.

If Ireland were attacked tomorrow, I'd certainly expect all of able citizens to rally and be prepared to do what is required. And that includes you, assuming you're an Irish citizen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And yet these Ukrainians are not returning. why is that? Ah but I see a handy way to despise these men who are not "self respecting" of course, and so open to question or vilification.

Perhaps the problem is more complex , requires more empathy and nuance and understanding of basic human responses, than your personal, and conveniently safe, sense of puffed chest patriotism that knows it will never be asked of it. Easy to tell people how they should behave when your big talk will never be out to the test.

And you can say they "should" be returned, but there's the little problem that the law says they can't. So you can huff and puff about what these men should do with their lives - reality intervenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@RoyalCelt always thought we were giving these people temporary refugee until they could return. Obviously in reality things are different.

And nobody is calling for 100k deportations but if Ukraine comes calling for man power and want people back to help the effort. Anyone they request should be returned out of respect for Ukraine.

I believe that around 40% of the Ukrainians living here are male so it not just a few men it's tens of thousands of males 18+ here,

Again there is international agreements or laws that would allow anyone to be forcibly returned to warzone,they can ask but they have zero authority or ability to force anyone to return to Ukraine to then be forced to fight in a war that they clearly have no interest in .this time last year we were hearing about a million man army from some , where's the hundreds of thousands called up already,

Zelensky will find himself in serious trouble if he starts to think he can demand hundreds of thousands of men and boys be deported from EU States who have already given them international protection

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Ireland were attacked tomorrow, I'd certainly expect all of able citizens to rally and be prepared to do what is required. And that includes you, assuming you're an Irish citizen.

There's not a single war in history that hasn't resulted in the mass exodus of citizens, able bodies or otherwise. Well with the exception of absolute monarchies pressganging the serfs. These are not cowards abandoning their duty. You may want to dial back the swagger cos it's shallow, superficial stuff and demonstrating a critical lack of understanding or empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'd love to believe that, would be a bad day for the Russians. Probably as bad, if not worse than when Ukraine shot down 5 planes and helicopters within Russia in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Didn't they previously sneak a Patriot battery near the front? Possibly they've done it again.

All Eyes On Rafah

It was claimed but I get the feeling the patriots are in very secure locations rather than being moved from the front and back again

Drip drip drip.

Whatever about tanks and tracked vehicles - I'm not sure Russia will be dusting off their WW2+ aircraft to plug the gaps being caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm not sure if they sneaked it close to the border or was just placed within range, but seeing as how there hasn't been any more shootdowns like that in the area that Patriot system has probably been moved.

But Germany was due to deliver an additional patriot system this month and the south badly needs more AA. Maybe they found a nice home for it! Would be a nice way to christen the new system!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

"The usual suspects" are people who understand what a refugee is.

It's no surprise the only people calling for Ukrainians to head home and "do their bit" are the same people who are anti immigration.

And I reject that completely. I repeat it is a primary duty of a citizen to both support their country and to defend it if required. That has always been the case, it's one of the things that defines citizenship/ membership of a group. There's no point in being a citizen of a state unless you are prepared to defend it. It is a fundamental moral duty.

And that applies to those Ukrainians here who can be of service to their state and who are required there. How can they possibly hold their heads up, if they know they are leaving the huge responsibility of defending their state to friends, family and neighbours back in Ukraine??

Your support for Ukraine is indeed admirable, not.

There is absolutely no problem with us sheltering genuine Ukrainian war refugees from war torn areas, subject to limits we can manage - the elderly, women with children and children. No problem at all, assuming this is on a temporary basis until the crisis has passed. That is common decency.

It is a very different matter to have Ukrainian citizens who are of an age and can be of service to their country to be asked to return.

Show me where refugee status is based on age or gender.

You have no support with this view, especially because it stems from a bigoted anti immigration beliefs.

• Advertisement

I think you're mixed up - we're discussing war refugees here, not 'immigrants' as in international asylum seekers etc. or those who come in with work permits etc.

Do you agree that it is the duty of able bodied Ukrainian citizens that are eligible and wanted for service, to return and serve their country?? And if not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Anyone saying that countries would deport people to be conscripted are utterly delusional and likely highly xenophobic, it's just not something that will happen in this reality.

They should be responded to as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And how do you force them to fight? Do you do what the Russians do, send them to the front with a gun/ammo and shoot them if they refuse to fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭yagan

They should be banned as they know they're trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It is not a primary duty of citizens to protect their country

No I do not agree.

I do not agree that whatever laws or drafts apply to Ukrainian citizens in Ukraine also apply to Ukrainian citizens outside of Ukraine. To think so is ridiculous.

I do not agree that it's Ireland's responsibility to enforce the rules of a completely different country to it's citizens who happen to live here. To think so is ridiculous.

Furthermore, Ukrainian citizens who disagree with their country's draft laws have a right to seek refugee status and this has already been demonstrated by Syrian nationals fleeing their civil war.

Finally, I have spelled this out multiple times to you, and it's clear that your intent is not some high-minded ideal to secure the future of Ukraine. You have quite bigoted views towards immigration and refugees, and this argument is just a smokescreen to promote these views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I want Ukraine to defeat Russia. That's my motivation. If Ukraine wants people for the war effort to return the EU countries should oblige. If Ukraine wants woman and children back for economic and social reasons again we should oblige. The latter can't see happening anytime soon although a large chunk of Ukraine is not currently a warzone with a very low danger risk.

I swear some people want Ukraine to slowly bleed out. Everything possible need's to be done. If western Europe and America gave them full support they might not be making this plea. But we didn't give full support and now they need some people back.

I repeat it is a primary duty of a citizen to both support their country and to defend it if required.

That's jingoistic, militaristic fantasy: outline the place in our constitution that speaks of citizens' "duty". If it's that foundational you should be able to show where it says we should. I'd hope at least for all your talk, you've tried joining the army reserves?

Now if you wanna talk Social Contract then that's another matter, and a different set of principles by which we should operate - but there's no guiding principle in Ireland that demands its people take up arms in the case of defence. That's the army's job; hello Social Contract. Same with policing, banking, health services etc. Defence too.

And it's simply a reductive, willful ignorance of the reality of war. Maybe the reason why Ukrainian men are sitting here and not at home is because of a different set of human emotional responses to your own boastful sense of what people "should" do in times of crisis. Easy to talk big, you got nothing to lose.

Feel free to hand out white lilies to the refugees though, if you feel they're cowards. Cos that's what you're saying without saying it. Let's be truly honest here, and forget the chest puffing about your Call of Duty fantasies.

• Advertisement

Rubbish - the duties of a citizen vary a little from state to state but the fundamentals are and have been since the year dot -

Obey the law

Pay your taxes

Defend your country

It is a fundamental duty - it is appalling to think that you may be an Irish citizen but that you would not help defend us if we were invaded. Shocking abrogation of your responsibilities.

Nothing to do with your facile Call of Duty. I met men when I was a child who had their legs blown off in WW1 and who sat on their stumps. So I know of the horrors of war since a young age. But at least these men had the guts and the moral fibre to enlist, unlike the likes of some posters here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement