Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hi Gatling. seems that the IDF have discovered the tunnels that the Toyotas can drive through !!!! LOL.

IDF claims it has discovered ‘biggest Hamas tunnel’ in Gaza (msn.com)

It's my second time posting the link just in case you missed the first one, OK? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

When Ukraine began conscription one of the loopholes was that students were not eligible. So immediately many men enrolled in adult education courses. Male students 30+ increased hugely compared to before the war. Male students 20-29 increased several-fold also.

So they have plenty of men, but they will have to change their conscription policies.

It would be interesting to see if these lads are doing real courses or if it's a fake industry like the Chinese were doing here and in various other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It is possibly a deliberate mechanism so that the wealthy and already educated can avoid it.

What are the numbers anyway? Those seem very low. There a probably more male students 18-20 in Ireland than in Ukraine by those figures. Are those numbers you pasted from a particular city or region?

They are newly enrolled (first-year) male students by year. It is not the total number of men in education, although you can probably guesstimate that assuming the average course length is 4 years.

The main takeaway is that in 2021 only 1,700 men aged 30-39 enrolled in university courses, in 2022 it was 30,000. In 2023 it was 43,000. So that's 70,000+ spoofers they could conscript immediately if they change the laws. Similar for 20-29, a big jump in men suddenly interested in education.

I would imagine they will start with the older group 30+ first

The table comes from here and they reference using this site for their data

• Advertisement

So, it seems like suggestions that the Gaza tunnels were as extensive as the London Underground are not too far off the mark.... But logistically speaking, they had to be like they are finding now. 3'000 missiles launched on the 7th plus another 7'000 launched in the following days means a very sophisticated set up, and without the IDF knowing about it? Even with Satellite imagery? Had to be underground. But anyway........apart from that....🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Just wondering what people think about what happened in Colarado to Trump. Will Ukraine be happy as this might mean Trump might not be able to run for president in 2024 or will this have more recent implications as now it might mean republicans might not pass any bill coming down the line that might give extra aid to Ukraine as it is coming from Biden. They might feel they need to not back any democrat's bills at the moment. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Candidate 1: Vladimir Putin

Candidate 2: Cladimir Vutin

Candidate 3: Pladimir Cutin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Well, nothing's decided yet about Colorado; the SCOTUS will likely weigh in, and I'd expect quickly.

If TFG's booted from the ballot nationwide (imo extremely unlikely especially with this SCOTUS), the GQP lackeys in the house will have a huge problem; how do they get reelected if not on TFG's coattails? A few of them will want to pass whatever legislation they can to benefit their constituents.

A few of the stupider zealots like MTG, Gosar and even Gaetz might continue to be purists and oppose everything, but the rest of the GQP caucus will duck and cover and probably get together with the Democrats to pass a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rogber

With or without Trump, a significant number of Republicans are clearly shifting away from Ukraine as a focus and nor are the Democrats doing much to suggest they are interested in total Ukrainian victory, a long slow bleed of Russia seems to suit the US better in general. Alongside growing divisions within Ukrainian politics the approach needs a serious reboot for 2024 before the blame game gets out of control, because not even the biggest optimist could say this year came anywhere near fulfilling hopes at the start of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Means nothing. It's only in Colorado where he is being removed from the ballot paper. He was never going to win Colorado anyway, it's a democrat state. Plus he's appealing to the supreme court and the decision will most likely be overturned

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without checking, I'd say it's more like Vladamir Putin, then 15 crazy (ethno) nationalists and/or fascists who'd nuke Berlin in the morning if they somehow conspired to get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Maybe the FSB will put forward a moderate candidate that will 'defeat' Putin in the election, paving the way for the new candidate to pull forces out of Ukraine and save face for russia because after all, it was Putin's war and not russia's. The latest leader would be the beloved leader that brings home all the men of the stans and be looked at in the same vein as the Putin that brought stability to russia after the chaotic 90s.

Anyway, actually saw a clip recently (could have been CNN? Can't remember) that had a small piece about an anti-war candidate that I hadn't heard of before. His english was good. While watching it, I couldn't decide if he could be part of the above scenario, or if the FSB wanted to see who voted for him in the ballot so they could send the voters to the front lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Markus Reisner of the Austrian army provides a dispassionate and sobering assessment of the failed Ukrainian counteroffensive in his first video for months. 

Reisner dispels the narrative that persists (sometimes in this thread) that the Russian soldier is drunk/old/incapable of fighting, and points out the folly of underestimating your enemy. The video serves to highlight how the dwindling supply of military equipment to Ukraine in recent months, and its complete reliance on external military aid, starkly contrasts with the growing Russian military industrial complex and its increasing capability to produce more sophisticated drones and other equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rogber

You do realise Russia is a dictatorship? There will no credible challenge to Putin in the election, much less an anti war one

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You have to get permission from Putin to run against Putin

Good video as always.

He says at 25:00 that "Russia have begun again to use the Shahed drones, the old ones but also a newer faster version" then he shows a picture of the Shahed-238.

I'm not sure that is true. Iran has shown off the turbine-powered Shahed-238 at an event (and brief documentary footage) but i'm not aware of it being operational or used in Ukraine yet. It would be a fair bit more expensive than the piston-engine version.

I'm skeptical of the Shahed-238. The piston-engined Shaheds are a poor-mans cruise missile, that's the whole point of them, they are cheap and they fill a niche. If you put a jet-turbine in it then you've effectively got a normal cruise missile, probably quite expensive. It's not filling a niche, it's something that Russia can make already. It also shouldn't need such big delta wings as the piston version, it will be draggy as fck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This was the role that Vladimir Zhironovsky traditionally played in previous Presidential elections. He died of COVID so they'll need to cast someone else for that role. I would imagine they will allow one person like that but they'll have to be obviously flawed so that people won't actually vote for them in large numbers. Putin saw the love an support that Progozhyn got in Rostov. He won't want to take a risk. Perhaps they could suggest nuking the moon or cutting the state pension to fund the war effort.

There will be the usual candidate from the Communist Party. Then there will be a bunch of lightweights who nobody has every heard of who don't say anything interesting.

I can't imagine they will cast an anti-war candidate as they don't want to even admit that that's a possible political option.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

I used to follow him but I found him to be a tankie in disguise and a lot of his takes are completely arseways. I'm not the only one who has noticed this online I just noticed, he likes to repeat kremlin propaganda too.

And in any case, even if people show their contempt for the fake election, by not turning up, Putin's election team will have more than enough ballot box stuffers on duty. It will be an overwhelming result in favor of Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭junkyarddog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Polar101

Russia moving from producing Western cars to building their own electric cars. Anyone going to preorder?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Hoop66

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Rawr

That car looks absolutly shocked. It's like it suddenly learned it was Russian-made, or something. :P

It looks like they've taken an existing (ugly) car and jacked it up two foot to fit the batteries underneath. You have to step up into it like a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭josip

It'll never be built. Whatever funds have been allocated for its construction will be siphoned off by the various people involved in the chain. This prototype will end up like the Buran, forgotten in a warehouse somewhere. Also, the Soviets relied on the Ukrainians and other nationalities to design all their good stuff, the Russians weren't as capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

They already built the ladas off the back of old Fiat machinery. Have they somehow gotten the old Multipla blueprints somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭scottser

They can't be all spoofers. Surely Ukraine needs way more engineers, mechanics, tradespeople, teachers, doctors and nurses, IT and logistics people to support the war? Not everyone in an army fires a gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Of course they do. And it's why they'll need many of the refugees abroad sent back home especially teenagers who could now be 19 or 20. If this turns into a 20 year war they need all the help they can get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement