Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If I had to guess I'd say it's any site that has 6 or more chargers and isn't co-located with a competitor. My thinking is that applegreen in this case might have a clause in the contract that forbids tesla from opening to all

What contribution? My Model 3 was cheaper than most other new EVs available at the time. It was certainly cheaper than any car of it's class across all powertrains

Also non-Tesla owners do pay a premium

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wonder if its lesser utilized sites only. If they open mahon point or dublin you can forget about ever getting a charge!

On the plus side, if this is the catalyst they need for more supercharger sites in Ireland then I'm all for it. I do however think they should only open up chargers with V4 chargers (or elongated cables)

Looking back I wonder why they didn't put V4s in at Athenry last week instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Redfox25

The 4 chargers that were switched on last week were already there.

They were there just not connected? That makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CivilEx

These are the charging rates I see in the app as a non-tesla owner. Are they the same rates for Tesla owners?

Charging Fees for Non-Tesla Owner - Athenry

20:00 - 00:00 €0.56/kWh (non-member) €0.42/kWh(member)

16:00 - 20:00 €0.62/kWh (non-member) €0.46/kWh (member)

00:00 - 16:00 €0.56/kWh (non-member) €0.42/kWh (member)

Idle fees (up to) €1.00/min

Charging Fees for Non-Tesla Owner - Enfield

20:00 - 00:00 €0.51/kWh (non-member) €0.37/kWh (member)

16:00 - 20:00 €0.57 /kWh (non-member) €0.42/kWh (member)

00:00 - 16:00 €0.51/kWh (non-member) €0.37/kWh (member)

Idle fees (up to) €1.00/min

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭rocky

42-46c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Those idle fees will catch a few (non Tesla) owners out, nevermind having to have the app downloaded, account created, etc...

Do they work with Plug and Charge compatible cars i.e. ID.4?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

There was a press release about them integrating with Gireve and making a connection available to Chargemap last year but I haven't heard anything about it since.

Chargemap's press release doesn't make it sound like a proper eMSP integration - you still need the Tesla app installed and an account created.

I doubt Tesla SuC support ISO PnC but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

As a Tesla owner you can charge your nonTesla. Navigate to my account in the upper right hand corner

• Advertisement

That will only apply to drivers who charge to 100% on DC, which not many do to be fair

They don't work with P&C, you need the app if you're a non-tesla owner. Interesting you should mention the ID4 as an example, on the fastnet system it can't us P&C. Neither can a lot of VAG EVs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

not necessarily 100, if you have an incar limit to stop at 80% for instance, and you are plugged in not charging, you will get idle fees. I know the Kia/Hyundai cars have a facility to limit charging like Teslas have.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Your mixing Plug & Charge with Autocharge. The ID range of cars (and MEB based siblings) supports Plug & Charge and will work with networks that have implemented it, Autocharge is an interim solution that uses a broadcasted MAC address of the charge controller to uniquely identify a car, Fastned and some eCars chargers support Autocharge. The CCS spec was ambigous on how the identifier was to work, in VW's case they use a shared identifier.

I'm hoping that Tesla do implement full Plug & Charge support both on their cars and on the Supercharger network. It would be good for everyone who wants to use single provider billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭denismc

Ballacolla and Castlebellingham would have been nice but I guess they they are probably pretty busy hubs.

I guess there's no harm allowing non Tesla owners to check out the Tesla charging infrastructure, it might encourage a few more to switch over to Tesla cars.

Yes this is true many cars allow a charge limit to be set and once the charging stops for any reason they will quite rightly be hit with a nice fat overstay

You're correct I am mixing the 2, or rather I just assumed they were the same thing. Thanks for the explainer

Every day is a learning day eh?

Having a look on the tesla map to see what's open to the public. There are 6 locations in Romania, all with 6 or more chargers, including one with 14 chargers while Hungary have 5 locations, all with 8 or more stalls, one with a whopping 20!

We can only dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

All Tesla cars sold from new had a ring fenced contribution which went towards the SuC network.

Again I'd like to hear from Tesla owners who will now inevitably have to queue behind other marques to use the Tesla chargers. Also if some manufacturers have their charging port on the "wrong" side will they take up 2 spaces for a charge?

I don't recall seeing that on my receipt... How much was that exactly? There's definite legal grounds to claim that back I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Best of luck with that claim. You still have access to the SC network, you just have to share it.

I'm not sure on the exact amount but the consensus was a portion of the car price went back into the SuC network.

I have zero problem with that. It ensures me a reliable, quick and well designed charging network.

I'm not happy that I now may have to queue behind other manufacturers to get a charge but you suck it up and move on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I don't even think we'll see significant non Tesla usage at these sites anyway as the M4/6 is now one of the best served routes in the country.... and with both sites being offline (Athenry even more so), they just might not be that appealing to folk to use, apart from local traffic perhaps.

Enfield is fine as you are there 60-90 seconds after leaving the motorway, but Athenry is just that little bit further off the motorway for me. I only used it before as we were ploughing on around to Roundstone, but if visiting Galway city, I'd probably avoid Athenry in favour of an online option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Do Tesla owners have to pay the extra price on there other non Tesla cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

I was just reading an article few days a go that Romania was one of the last countries in Europe Tesla opened shop. Still they have more chargers than us. Ionity has no charger over there so SuC would be the defacto HPC network. In Hungary Tesla has 9 SuC planned locations while here there is nothing official.

That's a bit worrying as an Irish Tesla owner. Sandyford is very busy. from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm most chargers are in use according to the app. The place is quite crammed. I've once been blocked by a Tesla parked on the yellow box, imagine the chaos if non Tesla cars would be allowed there. From the price perspective I'm happy the SuC is opened to us. Now I can use SuC on the continent when I rent a non Tesla. The price with the subscription is 50% less than ESB with Enfield at 37c/kWh cheaper than my home electricity. Let's hope they'll open more chargers. Ecars dev plan launched in 2019 is due to end this month. I wonder if there is going to be a follow up and if there is going to be a new tender.

Biggest problem to Tesla opening more charging sites is the speed that the ESB can get the power to the site and get the chargers live. Look at how long we had to wait for Sandyford to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bannerman1969

Do Tesla hold back some chargers for their own customers I.e will non teslas only be allowed to charge on say 50% or 75% of their charging stalls on a given site. This would be fair to all surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

has anyone signed up for the non tesla membership?

my app shows £10.99/mo, nothing in EUR

found this on the website

"The monthly membership fee is non-refundable, and you are able to cancel your Supercharging Membership at any time"

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CivilEx

It's priced at €12.99/ month for me, where I have set my address in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Solarwicklow

It would be nice if they allow more sites for non Tesla owners at least at certain times(early mornins or late nights),I use chargers at Castlebelingham(non Tesla ones) when I'm heading to Monaghan for my regular weekend fishing trip, I'm usually there at 4-5am and there is not a soul around and loads of free Tesla chargers , I don't think I would be blocking any Tesla owners at 5am..

I understand that Tesla lads don't want congestion and the supercharger network is one of the main selling points but some folks could use it when nobody else is around

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The issue is Castlebellingham (as well as Ballacolla, Birdhill & Tralee are V2 Superchargers, and these cannot be opened up as they don’t have the brains to talk to home base and be activated for use by non Tesla cars. (They mostly communicate to Homebase through the cars connection)

only V3 sites can be opened (and V4 if/when we get some)

V3 sites are;

Enfield - 6 stalls - open

Athenry - 8 stalls - open

Tesla Sandyford - 4 stalls - not open

Tesla Belfast - 4 stalls - not open

Mahon Point Cork - 4 stalls - not open

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Solarwicklow

Thanks for explaining it,I wasn't aware as I didn't follow Tesla chargers as we drive ID4 and Nissan leaf.

So no hope for the site I mentioned, pity,I use ionity at City north regularly which is great tbh but Tesla is cheaper and it would be handy.Ah sure my next car will be Tesla so until then I use Ionity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭wassie

The M6 has a good ESB eCars 8 stall hub at Kinnegad also 15mins down the road from Enfield, with the benefit of services.

Advertisement