Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because the income from the EU capped fees is low and the market is tiny.

Flights need to be booked well in advance to be 'easy'; but you can find oddities like I got the set of freebies on a very busy set of flights to AMS for bugger all, about a sixth of the fare at the time I applied for them - and EI were the cheapest of the three airlines on that route that day anyway. Ski routes are apparently good too if you're in to that (I'm not)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭ULEZ23

In defence of the credit card it’s an okay deal. If you put all your spend through it you get a nice few avios which worst case you can use these € reduction against a flight purchase, if you have enough a business class upgrade to the east coast is okay value.

add in the 2 free lounges, 2 fast pass and free travel insurance and at the €6 per month it pays for itself. I regard the “free” flights as a bonus but saying that I have used it every year but question its value because of date restrictions and if emerald are operating it it’s usually a sh!tshow (unrelated to aer card; Ryanair is a far superior product to emerald as they usually fly to the same airport and it’s usually a fraction of the cost).

is it as good as the us credit cards, definitely not but seeing as there is pretty much no other reward credit card in Ireland then it’s okay

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Emerald's business on routes is connections and, on some routes, timings - either better timings for business or more consistent day by day compared to Ryanair who operate some routes at a different time every single day.

It isn't possible to undercut a 189/199 seat 737 with a 76 seat ATR; even when fuel costs are insanely high.

My old example of timings being terrible used to be Leeds but Ryanair now have good timings there. They are, however, for my randomly selected trip - over and back on Friday 8th - actually dearer (from slightly to painfully, depending on flight) than Emerald in one direction. For coming back the equivalent time flight is a good bit cheaper, the earlier ones are 5-6x the price of that one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks, last question. When I last looked at the card it had the annual charge so guess that needs to be taken into account when working out the value of spend/points etc.

Now they advertise €6 a month, do they actually debit the card monthly or is it still an annual charge?

Taken monthly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nope. Was 615 tier credits on Monday last week. Took two plus fares (one on Sunday and one on 1st December and none have been posted). My credits reset on Friday and I’m still silver and not platinum. I must ring them tomorrow as it’s a bit ridiculous at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I got soft landed back to silver this week. In fairness they kept me platinum since november 2020 for an extra 3 years so i cant complain. I didnt travel much since August with a new baby in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Any reason EI don't appear to be flying DUB-BOS on thurs 25th Jan? Looking at the fares in both directions that week I find it hard to believe that random Thursday is actually sold out in both directions... Annoying as I want to come home from a business trip that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Aer Credit Card Linking

I took out the Aer Credit Card about 2 weeks ago and can't link it to my AerClub account. Exactly the same issue mentioned but never resolved here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058282220/problem-linking-aer-credit-card

Have been around the houses with Aer Lingus and BOI and no-one has an answer. Anyone managed to get it sorted here?

As far as my memory serves me, you should have got a link to do so in your email. I did try look back on my emails but im almost sure i received a link to merge them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Got put back to green finally this week after 3 or 4 years of silver without much flying. Was platinum 5 or 6 years ago. Will miss the lounge for the couple of flights a year I take these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The missing tier points is clearly a wider issue, yet there is no communication or even acknowledgement anywhere which is annoying.

I've noticed more get missed recently, but the ones that are noticed arrive in my account quicker than they used to. So whatever process they've changed is better on one hand and crapper on the other...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Noxegon

In fairness missing points have been a feature of the Aer Lingus system going back years.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

I phone them on 01 761 7842 on Tuesday morning and the tier credits, points and platinum status were showing in my account by 9am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Tried twice, both times the person said "nothing we can do" "can take up to 28 days" if it's not there 28 days later please fill out a complaint.

The 2nd person said "they are backed up, so it can take a while if you put in an online claim".

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭ULEZ23

I would imagine that’s coincidental, the Bulgarian customer service team looking after Aerclub couldn’t be more useless and unhelpful anytime I’ve called. I just get the usual we’ll ad a note to the file and mark urgent any time I call. Impossible to speak to anyone who can get something done, even asking for a supervisor is pointless as the supervisor can’t actually do anything either!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

I assume if it doesn't post before year end, that it'll still be counted as part of 2023 for 2024 status qualification purposes? I have a flight that'll get me over the line on December 22nd but based on the above it won't post before year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You would imagine so but I think your profile picture sums up what Aer Lingus thinks about AerClub members!

Yeah they will retrospectively fix any tier status - the tier points will apply to the cycle they should have been in - ie before the anniversary if it passes while you're waiting. Which is great if you need them for status, but annoying if you already have enough and were hoping to carry them into the next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 squidgamer

Having the same issue with tier credits not being credited. Flew twice on advantage fare (two separate bookings) in late November with no credits awarded so far yet the credits for a saver fare flight this weekend have been!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

It’s a shame, they were doing so well since the last “update”…

I took 2 flights on the 25th Nov - credited a couple of days later

I got successfully soft landed to silver two weeks ago. Something actually works...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭g0g

Just got moved to platinum which as I understand it means I can bring a guest to lounge. If I'm flying with wife and kids do they let the kids in too as part of that or zero chance?

I assume zero chance but haven't tried. I also have recently got platinum and am wondering what happens if I bring two teens with me through fast track? Do we get told to get lost?

I think it's like most things in Ireland, you may chance your arm, they might feel generous and wave you on but totally within their right to say no and only allow one.

Tbh with the new scanners the need for fast track has diminished somewhat.

On a separate note, my flights aren't crediting as fast as they used to since my tier expiry date. Took a flight at 06:15 on the 11th, still no whiff of avios or credits.

You're right re the new scanners, you're almost better off not bothering with fast track and aiming for one of those.

My guess re flights from the 11th is that if they haven't been credited by now they won't be until you complain... but am interested to see if they do appear.

My own from the 11th hasn't posted yet, the 7th has

Anyone know if you can drop a 10kg case off for free when flying Aerlingus Regional? I have a round trip with two teens from DUB-BHX and didn't bother paying for luggage as a 10kg case each is fine, but only after booking it realised it's a regular EI flight out but regional on the way back and it only talks about bringing 7kg each on board for the return leg, no drop off mentioned. Different rules for each leg is useless.

• Advertisement

Flight from the 11th posted by 14th/15th (can't remember exactly) and Flight on the 15th posted on the 17th, that last posting seems to be back to regular schedule. Didn't have to complain for once 😀

No more flights until the new year so won't know for sure.

Advertisement