Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Hi all, can anyone tell me: is it possible to collect avios points when purchasing Aer Lingus vouchers as a gift for someone? Looking at the voucher page, it seems that it doesn't validate my account details before purchase... TIA

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you have an Aer credit card you'll get 1=1 Avios on any Aer Lingus spend, if not no.

The person making the booking will get Avios, they wouldn't offer a scheme to double by buying yourself a voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

They've moved the lounge in BOS too - to a different terminal to where the flight leaves from! It's now the United lounge at B24, which is way better than the previous lounge but so far away from the gate not to be of practical use. It took me over 20 mins to walk from C19 where I stupidly went on auto pilot without listening to the girl at the check in desk. Just about time for a wine and to write this before the schlep back.

Just walked from lounge to gate, vaguely knowing where I was going which was 15 mins, so not too bad. But there's no indication of when the flight will board in the lounge so left early to be sure which is maybe their plan, cuts down on my wine consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Bit of a long one.

A few days ago, I was due to fly from to DTW to DUB via JFK in J, booked with EI. The DTW to JFK leg was with JetBlue and the JFK to DUB leg was on EI on the 104, with a 2 and a quarter hour layover to connect from T5 to T7 in JFK.

The night before, I got an email from JetBlue saying the DTW to JFK flight was delayed and would leave me with a 45 minute layover in JFK, an impossible connection.

Called EI, they refused to to change from the 104 to the later flight unless I paid because the JetBlue flight showed on time on their system. Said to call back the morning of the flight so, called again the next morning and they again refused to change the flight even though they could now see the connection time, unless I took the flight to JFK, missed the connection and called them again,when there. The agent would only advise me to call JetBlue because they inisited it was their responsibility to rebook me and not EI, even though it was booked through them.

So I called JetBlue, they couldn't guarantee me a seat on the later JFK-DUB flight but instead offered to rebook me for the next day. I accepted since I didn't want to be stuck in JFK if there was no availability on the later flight, which is operated by an A321LR vs an A330 so there is always the possibility it could be fully booked by the time I got to JFK.

JetBlue ended up re-routing me via PHL in AA J the next day. Am I now out the 125 tier credits for AerClub since I wasn't on EI metal for this flight, or do I have any recourse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Brutal by Aer Lingus but I think since you accepted the re routing there is not much you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Flew DUB-BOS return the week of Jan 15.

The trip home BOS-DUB got credited within two days but no sign of the DUB-BOS leg.

So frustrating that I have to keep an eye on this and something that is easy to get right.

Claiming the missing flight is painful too as the 6 character booking code does not seem to be enough. You need the ticket number and then manually fill in all the details.

Should be a quick log into account - select prior booking - select which leg is missing - hit send.

Poor on both counts from EI. I always try and fly with them (our work travel system has no relationship with them for some reason) so I go out of my way to book them privately but starting to wonder if it is worth it.

Just back from DUB-BOS return, the outbound leg appeared within 2 days, landed back this morning so will see about the return. But yes, it seems to be a lottery these days if they'll appear in 2 days or never until you complain. I also go out of my way to use EI but wonder if it's worth it. I do that trip 4 times a year plus a few to LHR/AMS etc and the odd other to the US, so what's my alternative? We're allowed to fly premium economy to the US but BA to BOS via LHR really does not appeal. So I tend to pay for an emergency exit row extra leg room on EI instead. On the way out row 8 didn't exist so instead of moving those of us who'd paid extra to row 9, we all got a random seat and the folk in 9 were pleasantly surprised. I pointed out to the gate staff that was rather poor having paid extra, who agreed and found me two together, put me in one and blocked the other. But still, you'd think even if EI can't be bothered to put effort into their frequent fliers they'd do it for folk who pay extra. I'm platinum all from economy flying and I dont think they could give a crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I used to be quite loyal to Aer Lingus, but I haven't seen the point in recent years. The long haul product is solid enough provided you don't get the ex-Qatar frames, but the short haul product has become Ryanair without the on time performance.

Looking at my flight log, 21.7% of my all-time flights are on EI, but if I narrow to 2019 onwards that number falls to just 7%.

I can't be the only one.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I've a question, I'm flying with Aer Lingus and need to change my outbound flight.

They are charging me more than the cost if I book another one way ticket separately.

If I do this will my return flight still be valid? I'm happy to check in the original flight and not use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭pureza

If you don't fly an outbound, the return is automatically cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

Only for transatlantic flights. You can skip the first leg on European flights.

On FR or easyjet ,that's straightforward yes but EI have a no show clause that can invalidate a booking

I experienced Tap's no show clause last year and ended up claiming on insurance

When I didn't fly the outbound,the return simply disappeared, it was automatically cancelled

I would suggest rather than saying nothing,the op ask EI to turn his booking into the one way first and then independently book the cheaper outbound single fare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

+1 to the above, not all European return tickets are sum of two singles.

So if you are not taking the outbound, you need to call

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Would it be easier/cheaper for EI to allow you to this online.

Upside for user is they keep the return.

Upside for EI is they keep the fee for one leg and can them sell that seat again. Not having to employ a call centre to do this must be a cost saving.

Hey, can anyone answer me this: with the free flights on the Aer credit card, are those flexible bookings? If I book a date and need to subsequently change it (assuming availability wasn't an issue), can it be accomodated?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

No, you get no bags and no options. you cannot change the dates after.

Its poor enough

Thanks - that's disappointing. But normal carry-on applies right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Normal carry on is included

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭TheBetsy

Anyone ever experienced difficulty logging into the CC portal? Email or username with password not working, updated password still not working. No issues logging into Aer Club acc on website. Anniversary date is today so possibly related to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cshk

Seems to be down this afternoon. Booked my free flights this morning and haven’t been able to log in since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Booked a couple of flights with avios the past few days and today a banner appeared saying that we won't be able to use the avios site for flights soon but instead have to use some updated functionality on aerlingus.com.

I wonder if the same avios.com pricing will carry over or if the really poor aerlingus pricing will be the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭longrunn

Try using your aerlingus.com username and password. It used to be the case that aerlingus.com, avios.com, and aercreditcard.aerlingus.com all used different logins, but I noticed this week (after multiple account lockouts and password resets and thinking wtf is going on??) that the usernames and passwords for all three sites are now synced.

Well I used it Sunday and it was pretty crap,kept giving errors saying 'too many redirects'

So tying up avios redemptions into tge main aer lingus site would have to be an improvement

It might also mean you can manage the booking,pick seats etc which you can't fo at present without ringing EI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

You can always transfer points to BA Exec Club and book from there - sometimes better value that EI and certainly will be if EI apply the points rate you see when purchasing a typical flight right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I was thinking of executive club. I just checked the options for a flight I'd been looking at and executive club offers the following:

17000 Avios + € 73.96

• 16300 Avios + € 133.96
    • 16000 Avios + € 103.96
    • 11100 Avios + € 153.96
    • 8500 Avios + € 178.58
    • 6800 Avios + € 205.72

Avios site offers:

17000 Avios + € 23.96

16074 Avios + € 43.96

14838 Avios + € 53.96

11438 Avios + € 73.96

7728 Avios + € 153.96

5256 Avios + € 193.96

So for that example the avios site is far better value in terms of needing fewer points and less cash.

Hopefully this isn't a move away from the current avios pricing but I fear the worst based on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

I emailed them as I was getting the same issue as you when trying to log in and register my card. They advised the site is down for maintenance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm in Orlando currently and considering a business class upgrade for the return flight for 46k Avios. I also have an aerclub upgrade to cash in.

I can't see anywhere how much the cash value of the upgrade is so can't see if it's a good deal or not. Any thoughts compared to other routes / time of year?

Also, if I upgrade to business with avios do I get the business tier credits?

Thanks!

Advertisement