Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Autumn 2023 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, we are unlikely to get ice days out of this like we did last year. Chilly with mixed wintry precipitation at times is the way to describe it. I am hoping for something colder before Christmas rather than after it, so I don't mind if we do in fact go milder for several days later next week. Hopefully the Canadian Warming and other things work in our favour to bring about proper cold during peak winter. 1963 or 1947 redux will do, I am not picky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I really liked the cold spell last December, wasn't spectacular but was nice to get it. It did make the Christmas period itself feel like an anti climax though, as we were back into the usual rubbish by then. Hopefully this upcoming spell is just a teaser as regards further down the road..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Forgot about the ice days - got 2 on the 12th and 15th and nearly on the 13th (+0.6)

(I won't feel deprived if I don't get any this year 😁)

Seven Worlds will Collide

Damn you:). The rime frost clinging to the trees all day last year was a great sight. The heavy rime frost also gave that nice crunchy sound underfoot. I would love a repeat of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Yes, they were smashing days alright 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

I reckon we will get this cold spell and any other ones will be Atlantic driven messy slushy affairs. At least here in the NW we sometimes get a snowy morning out of these and that's all I really want. A few snowy mornings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hope your wrong pauldry IF we don't get at least a 2 to 3 day proper snowy spell this winter I think all hope is lost for Irish winters, we are well overdue one by this stage and it doesn't have to be a December 2010. A February 2009 but in late December or January would be perfect.

Getting back to the current models the GFS holds onto the low level cold until about Tuesday of next week. After that it tries to bring the Atlantic back in but it looks a bit flimsy and nothing terribly mild on the horizon. Wouldn't take much to bring in another reload of cold.

Icon 12z says no to bringing back the Atlantic and we have a diving low on Monday/Tuesday keeping things here fairly chilly.

We may have a bit of a battleground next week with mild from the west/south-west trying to win out while the cool/cold air over us tries to cling on. At this stage i'm not convinced of a return to mild after this weekend. We may need another few days to see where we go after this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

GFS 12z has 'cooled' on the idea of a quicker return to milder conditions. 12Z top and 00z bottom

As I said previously, the further south Thursday's system tracks the better the chances of colder air digging in.

A colder looking UKMO too

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

UKMO certainly making it cold for this weekend and early next week with temperatures down to -7C by night in places. Certainly not seeing this level of cold on the other models.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lots of cold dry weather coming up with frosty nights and mornings and fog or freezing fog at times, in fact could freeze soon after dark towards the end of the week with widespread sharp frosts. Some rain and wintry precipitation at times but amounts small. ECM 12OZ looking quite settled and cold and remaining fairly dry out to +240hrs as HP becomes dominant. Will see if it sticks, was looking much wetter the last couple of runs, GFS also showing low precipitation amounts and keeping the frosty nights going out nearly to +240hrs but goes on to to break down after that to a cold wet and windy Atlantic, ECM on the other hand would give an impression of a much more settled outlook wherby HP might settle over us . Icon cold out to the end of its run of +168hrs.

• Advertisement

Latest UKV also ramps up the cold for us from Wednesday night with widespread -6 to -7 uppers across the country, almost cold enough for snow to low levels. Just a pity there will be very little precipitation around for this cold spell.

We won't be sitting out in the garden sipping cocktails in our shorts and tshirts come Friday/Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Heading to beautiful Tallinn, Estonia this weekend which is already totally blanketed in deep thick snow and where there is currently an all-night blizzard, literally can't wait!

Anyway back to home, hopefully parts of Dublin/Wicklow will get a dusting during Thursday/Friday.

Clare (410ft asl)

Battleground scenario come next week on tonight's GFS.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cold Weather dominating the models now but precipitation still either lacking or of a Wintry nature rather than snow most likely. Met Eireann say Wintry showers so probably the usual mix of precipitation. However I'm sure some areas will get lucky towards the end of the week and of course the mountains. Roads could be very icy with long nights so be very careful if you do venture.

If this entire spell happened in about 2 weeks time it would have made a big difference, this spell is just a bit too early. Getting snow to low levels end of November is like trying to get lying snow end of March, it's going to be marginal the majority of the time. This is a bit like the reverse of March in that as each week progresses we are in a much better position if we hit the jackpot.

However none of this makes a difference when the last 3 to 4 cold spells we've had over the past few winters have had little to no precipitation for most areas.

Overall today fairly big upgrades in terms of cold between Thursday and Monday. However I've a feeling tonights pub run is a massive outlier which hints towards cold lasting almost uninterrupted till mid December, majority of the output brings the mild back by next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cot-mad

I’m heading to Lapland next week too which is also blanketed in thick snow. I’ve never experienced a fault proper snow before so I’m very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

The 6z GFS op has the Atlantic back with a vengeance next Thursday 7th onwards. Seeing purples over Greenland is never good. I’ve a feeling it is overdoing it though as the GFS often does.

most models showing this from mid week next week. Mark Vogan predicted the mild/Atlantic would return fairly quickly by 2nd week of December due to the MJO. I don't fully understand how it works but know that it can greatly affect our weather with high pressures during the summer and deluge patterns etc.

Latest ECM long range also showing mild and Atlantic back in business from later next week with the remainder of December looking very Atlantic dominated and very mild. I feel we all knew this would happen as the run up to Christmas is almost guaranteed to be very mild here year on year.

Let's hope this isn't a repeat of Winter 2022/2023 where the opening week of December was winter and the rest of the winter was a write off. I am feeling a bit more hopeful about this winter that this dry cold spell isn't the last cold spell we'll see this winter, and that the next cold spell will be a properly cold and unstable one!. We could end up with a very mixed winter with mild and cold spells alternating.

Post edited by Gonzo on

Yes, the ec46 is showing mild right out to January. It now runs daily and can change quite often. For instance when the GFS was first showing this cold spell,I don't think it was in agreement. So I don't place as much value in it anymore. We just have to hope The mjo in phase 7 and the Canadian Warming will increase our chances of a return to cold in the next two or three weeks.

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

General agreement that next Wednesday will introduce milder air. In fact, temperatures will recover slightly each day from Monday. There is a 20c 850 scatter by then on the GFS ensembles so the extent of any 'warm up' is unclear.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

just having a look at the stratosphere and currently the PV is very much together and flies in the face with what is going on at the moment with lots of northern blocking. The centre of the PV is now very cold with temperatures down to -84C which is typically about as cold as it gets. Usually when we see this, you would expect the Atlantic to be on steroids around this time but this year that is not the case.

Several warmings are due over the coming weeks, certainly no SSW but substantial minor warmings that are enough to start displacing the PV.

By December 5th the PV is being displaced southwards out of the pole and over Europe.

We finish up on the 14th with a second warming , again nothing major but it is putting the PV under slight pressure. Something to keep an eye on throughout December.

It would be great to see an SSW take place around Christmas or just after it rather than sometime in February which is too late for winter. For an SSW we would need to see the dark red colours appearing e.g +8C and above and for a split to happen rather than a displacement. For now this is nothing more than pure fantasy and wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

GFS 12z will need to be brought outside the pub on a stretcher. GFS 12z model wobble on the return of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Those snow depth charts aren’t showing the heavy convective snow showers that would pile on to the east coast - that 12z GFS run is the stuff dreams are made of. Classic WAA pumping up a huge Scandi high that delivers a beast and sliders galore - all JFF at the moment but certainly one to keep an eye on as the route to mild may well be short lived - it’s not the first model or run to pick up on the Scandi high theme.

Perhaps this week/weekend is just the teaser before something more significant builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭squarecircles

another tease...

That GFS 12z has to be very much an outlier with barely any support but interesting that it is a possible scenario that could develop over the coming 10 days. It's the sort of thing I want to see in the next cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The GFS 12z is what I would have expected based on that ECM 12z from Sunday and to some extent Monday's too.

However, as you'd expect it is a raging outlier - well minus one other perturbation.

Very much a signal of the Atlantic to breakthrough on the GEFS.

Clare (410ft asl)

Met Eireann long term screams 'zonal' 😓

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

That sounds horrendous

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement