Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Immigration Sentiment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don’t think thousands of people being allowed to proceed with their asylum claim after “losing” the identity papers they had to get on the flight to Ireland can be classed as “very strict”

I think this is the new version of the trope we used to hear in the past about "all asylum seekers getting free cars"

Can you tell me exactly how many really come here in the manner you describe ?

I'd imagine it's well well short of the "thousands" you claim do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So there you have it, immigration is not the problem. Building of houses and infrastructure is and in order to do that we're going to need more immigrants.

Can you not see that immigration is not the problem here but a failure in planning and investment. Housing projects blocked by nimbyism thanks to draconian planning laws. Same laws restricting height in buildings creating urban sprawl and huge commuter belts.

Lack of investment in transport, hospitals etc leading to problems with services.

That's the problem. poor government and management not immigration.

"Thousands of people". Can you back that up with evidence please?

Just don't be live it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You seem to be avoiding the main issue. I doubt anyone has a problem with either visa, refugee program, or EU freedom of movement migration to Ireland.

Yes, we need to build homes at Celtic tiger levels, you've got one of the solutions. I would argue build even more.

Then when everybody can get a home then watch the "anti-immgration" scapegoating disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Galwaysgal

I have had this discussion with friends and neighbours, many people including myself are afraid to say anything because of being shutdown and attacked. Many of them are concerned about the levels of immigration into Ireland especially this last few years. Another friend is worried many are coming into Ireland unvetted and is afraid for his family as many are young men. I do think personally there needs to be a cap on immigration as the fear many have would Irish becoming a minority.

Yes, and the vast majority of immigration into Ireland is through Visa entry, refugee program or EU freedom of movement so I don't see what point I am missing.

Ok thank you and I'm sure you'll agree the numbers are tiny in the overall grand scheme of things. 2,232 over a seven month period and then they go through strict processes.

It's not the numbers people are trying to make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Asylum seekers living rent free in Ireland and rent free in many people's heads.

Does anyone honestly think that if the Irish govt deported 10,000 asylum seekers tomorrow then anti-immigrant sentiment would disappear?

Not a chance.

You'd still have the usual dopes walking around Dublin saying there are too many brown people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭growleaves

Why would the Government be planning in advance for huge incoming transfers of sub-populations in the first place though?

You have attempted to show that, maybe, we could hypothetically have enough space for large numbers of new people. You haven't said why this is desirable for anyone other than asset owners and the big employers.

That is why, I think, the debate often takes an orthogonal turn into double-negative accusations around racial attitudes. But "Prove you aren't motivated by racism" is not a positive prescription: it doesn't tell us why we must bring in masses of foreign people to begin with. It only tells us that people who don't want to do this are bad people.

That loops back to my first comment on this thread: do you and others understand the mechanism of 'economic growth' in this context, who benefits specifically and in what way, and are you prepared to defend it on that basis?

I agree they go through a strict process but the reality is you have very little chance of being removed from the state no matter how fanciful your claim is. So much so, that it would probably save money to just grant asylum automatically to anyone who claims it. Obviously that would encourage more people to claim asylum here. But sure we need more immigrants, so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

It's not anti immigration sentiment, it's anti bogus asylum seekers and people living off the State 10 or 20 years without getting a job. It's anti - Jihadi ideology as well. Face it, we don't want to import people possessed by Jihadi ideology into Ireland. We just don't, so accept it or move aside.

We have a serious problem here, and it's a clear tactic to try to slur that with the catch all "anti-immigration" nonsense, as if anyone at all has a problem with a foreign doctor or nurse coming into the country.

So is your problem with the two thousand asylum seekers, or the processes that don't return them to their own country?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Those who don't enter under those criteria require direct provision and other supports outside of the agreed and negotiated refugee programs. Visa and EU migrants are expected to be self supporting. There is a big difference.

Both are problems. Thousands of people don’t lose their documentation without thinking that doing so helps their aim to remain in Ireland. It’s not a good system we have if people are encouraged to lose their documentation. Similarly it’s not a great system if deportation orders are not carried out. If you think both of these are OK and no problem, then why have any immigration law at all?

There has not been enough planning for the naturally growing population of Ireland. Simple.

Why do you think property prices have increased so much in the last 30 years? Economy became successful and grew and government planning has not kept up.

Many services have been in crises for years well before immigration started to get attention.

Also immigration is desirable. It brings lots of benefits, innovation, economic growth. The most vibrant cities and countries in the world are ones that thrive on immigration.

How did the USA become such a successful economy? Everything that country has created is based on immigration, a huge part Irish and the country would not be the same without it. Then look at countries that have less immigration like Russia, Japan, iran etc and how their economies stagnate or countries slip into despotic rule.

Really, people need to stop viewing immigration as this terrible thing and realise what it brings as the vast majority who emigrate are those that work and contribute to society and improve them and are not sponging off the state as many claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm not an advocate of class war or anti-business and I do think businesses have the right to make a profit and should aim at high profits. That's all good.

But when the mechanisms for doing this become destructive and exploitative and take too much power away from ordinary employees and trade unions then I have to question it.

The way in which these big business interests harness the liberal/left-wing as a kind of phalanx who then dole out rhetorical accusations of racism is very effective for them.

Big corporations are powerful enough as it is without an army of university students, NGO charity workers and Irish Times readers to do all their work for them, shutting down all opposition with accusations of "far-right" or trying to.

Against this synthesis - this pincer movement of centre-right neoliberals and radical leftists with moderate liberals - it is very difficult to push back at all which is why this immigration issue plays out in such a weird way. That is how all the big parties have managed to produce between them a 'consensus' which leaves the general population out in the cold.

Yes and the numbers who don't enter under those criteria are tiny as evidenced above.

The person who committed the awful attack last week did not come through an illegal channel and neither did the rioters who tried to wreck Dublin.

• Advertisement

And I would just add that if you move to a country and find that breaking the immigration laws has no consequences, it hardly encourages you to take the other laws in that country too seriously. And again if we feel immigration law is no longer necessary, have a campaign to have it removed. Be much more honest than our current arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,608 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some folks do actually have a problem with foreign doctors and nurses coming into the country. I've heard the abuse they can get in hospitals first hand.

I've a good few Indian friends and they all work in high paid tech jobs and are incredibly smart, intelligent people. Pay a lot of tax like the rest of us on their income - also get abuse hurled at them on a regular basis.

There's a racist undercurrent in this country among a certain cohort of people and as an Irish person you'd potentially never see it at all as you're the correct colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't think either is ok, but my anger is at the government for not fixing a broken system, not people taking advantage of the system.

Same, half the people I work with are first gen immigrants from all over the world.

Most brought their families with them and bought houses. Nearly all have gotten some form of abuse for "taking jobs".

Maybe if all the "Ireland for the Irish" knacks who were robbing shoes and burning cars went to college and got jobs we wouldn't need to hire talent from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Thats because some people can't tell the difference, but doesn't make it untrue that we have a serious problem with bogus asylum seekers, long term welfare and the importation of jihadi ideology into this country.

If you care for those indian doctors, then solve that problem so people will calm down about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭dmakc

What strict processes? It's absolutely not a strict process.

"Serious problem"

Less than 1% of people on welfare have been on it for more than 10 years

Less than 1% of immigrants have come here illegally

As for jihadi ideology, I don't know where to start with that, and likely you don't either.

I don't think we have a serious problem. I think some people wrongly blame legitimate hard working immigrants for social problems instead of our inept government.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That Cork chap bligh, what's his game? He's attempting to be the voice of the disaffected Irish but he struggles to hide his blatant xenophobia , I assume he's unemployed and blames society even though we have full employment

• Advertisement

Think it’s a bit unfair to lump Japan in with Russia and Iran. Yes it has issues but doesn’t feel that third-world immigration is going to fix them. And yes the US is a very successful economy but whether it’s a successful country in a broader sense is more debatable. The reality is that mass immigration can often lead to increased polarisation in politics. Sad but true. The right wing parties in Europe are only getting traction because of immigration from Africa and the Middle East. Maybe those fears are misplaced, but they are definitely having an impact on the politics of Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement