Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Immigration Sentiment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭dmakc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I used Google and it was the first few that came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

AS are asylum seekers and they are refugees and it's not up to you to decide if they are bogus or not. It's not just about fleeing war.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

100% The Irish cultural traits are easily exploited so as to deflect from the real issues of lack of planning and infrastructure for a growing population and the housing crisis. All our ills are created by our own but our inbuilt traits of innuendo, fear, finger pointing, blame, hysteria are being directed towards migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭dmakc

If 40% of them arrive with torn passports, it definitely paints a bogus picture doesn't it? Can't recall last time my passport tore itself on a flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

The problem with voting for anti-immigrant candidates is that they're unlikely to have the aptitude to be good politicians. They tried this in the UK with the BNP - at least fifty of them were elected to local councils in the early 2000s, and two were elected to the European Parliament. But it dwindled away when people saw them in action, claiming big expenses and doing very little for those who put them there. They ended up with zero elected representatives and almost no members. The same thing seems to have happened to UKIP.

While a lot of ordinary people might feel that they have legitimate concerns about immigration, the people who seek to represent them are rarely more than common thugs. The local elections next year should give them an opportunity to get a few candidates elected to councils. But they'll probably fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Shoog

Interesting analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Asylum seekers are not refugees. The 2 terms are totally distinct. If a claim for asylum is granted only then do they become a refugee.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭boetstark

So you want irelands borders to be open to taking just about anybody that rocks up to our borders.

I really have no issue with the genuine migration who come here for a better life. They are skilled and documented.

I do have a serious issue with the undocumented who arrive here and are welcomed with open arms. Why don't they have I'd, how did they board a flight etc so we are told , without identity docs. What are they trying to hide.

I also have an issue with posters who have their heads so far up their backsides that they are either blind or will not accept facts.

I will repeat we do not deport. The vast vastmajority of asylum seekers whose application is rejected stay here. I have the exact figures on this for some posters who deny this fact.

New Freedom of Information figures released to Newstalk show that 4,631 deportation orders were issued to people whose application for asylum was rejected between 2018 and last year. The figures show that Gardaí enforced 314 of the orders – which makes up around 7%.

Statistics on Deportations from Ireland

Deportations from Ireland are relatively low.

In October 2018, the Irish Times reported that less than  one-fifth of people who have received deportation orders so far this year have been removed from the State, according to statistics published by the Department of Justice. The article goes on to say that although 736 deportation orders were made in 2018, only 133 people had actually been removed from the state, while In 2016, just over a third of the 1,196 people who received orders to leave were deported.

A total of 9,197 deportation orders have been made since 2011 while only one in five of those who received these orders – 1,857 people – have been deported.

The article goes onto state that:

“Some 5,504 people facing deportation have been granted permission to remain following a re-examination of their case since 2011. Another 2,245 returned home voluntarily. So far this year, 174 people facing deportation have chosen to leave voluntarily.

The State has spent more than €4.4 million on deportation flight costs over the past eight years.

The majority of those deported from Ireland are sent back via commercial flights. However, in certain circumstances, when “the operational requirements require it”, a chartered flight may be used in deportations, according to the Department of Justice.”.

Would you believe a defender of undocumented immigrants here actually posted that they travelled into Australia without any identification. Another passport must have been flushed down the aircraft toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Thursday’s attack on the children was almost unprecedented in the history of the state and no attempts to normalise it will change that. Here was a man trying to carry out a mass killing of children that he had no connection with. And it’s the “no connection” part that sets it apart from the domestic incidents where children are harmed. I am really struggling to think of a similar incident to Thursday’s in Ireland.

• Advertisement

How many Gardai were assaulted by Irish people compared to foreignersin the last week?

How many buses, tram and cars were burnt out by Irish people compared to foreigners in the last week?

How many Dublin City Centre shops were vandalised and looted by Irish people compared to foreigners?

They're at different stages of a process they seek asylum and are then granted or denied refuge.

Any asylum seeker is not an illegal immigrant.

But why does that have to be tied to nationality? It's a tragic event and violent acts like that are linked to psychology not natoinality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So in the previously linked reports it stated that many who arrive without documentation claim asylum. I don’t believe people who claim asylum are held until their identity is verified. Can anyone answer this? So if you are not held then you are pretty much free to go wherever you want in the state.

Mohamed Morei who carried out a brutal killing in Dundalk in 2018 had crossed the border from Northern Ireland. The guards had interacted with him in the previous days but there was no attempt to detain him even though after the killing they had difficulty confirming his age and nationality. Wouldn’t fill one with confidence that we know exactly who is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Maybe ideology or religion should be a factor. I can't say what factor your culture or background plays in your psychology, but if all things were equal statistically the vast majority of attacks would be carried out by "white Irish" if it was just a purely psychological issue.

🙈🙉🙊

Are some nationalities more prone to this psychology? The sexual assault statistics from Sweden would suggest they are.

Even if you are denied refuge you have a very small chance of ever being deported so once you are in you are in. We need to accept this because it isn’t changing anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭positron

Just wondering what would a venn diagram between folks with strong "anti-immigrant" sentiment and folks with "anti-scumbag" sentiment. Would they overlap much?

For example, would an "anti-immigrant" person support say, stopping all benefits and allowances to anyone with three/four convictions? A point-based system not entirely unlike the driving offences & penalties - too many penalties and you get no allowance (you could award an illegal immigrant some hefty points on the same scale).

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

The EU will have to come up with rule change of some sort that stops welfare shopping form migrants.

Workers for jobs in demand are something countries need and want .

Wasters that are a drain are not wanted by anyone.

The vast majority coming to Ireland are working and contributing. Not everyone though. Look at what that Puska POS did. Never contributed in 10 years.

Overall there are far too many of all types coming at once. 3 rs highest immigration per capita in EU.

(After Luxembourg and Malta)

Unsustainable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If there clearly was a growing anti immigration view, it would not so easily be shouted down then would it???? If you've got an actual like to some valid research do share.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

why are people blaming immigrants for coming to Ireland when its something controlled by the government? Is it because people wont blame themselves (ie for voting in the government thats letting immigration run rife?)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,057 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Good piece.

I like the way she talks about Irish exceptionalism.

We have a tendency to look at the UK and the US and tut tut at their problems with racism etc and think that we are above all that.

But we are not, we are just not long enough a multi cultural society for these problems to come to the fore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

None of the major parties have an anti immigration policy. The ones that do are the tiny ones on the lunatic fringe no one votes for.

Yet.

Post edited by whisky_galore on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes.. well I was replying to the poster who maintained there were NO valid reasons to question what is effectively an open immigration policy to all.

And yes I can add the GP experience - our regular GP used be 2/3 days for a standard appointment but in last year this has grown to 2/3 weeks. Reason - all the added population and fewer GPs.

School buses - heard of families locally who lost their discretionary place on rural school transport scheme. Reason - extra children who are 'new Irish' to be picked up.

These are the sort of visible effects that piss voters off. The state can be blamed for not expanding services but the state can also be blamed for allowing the existing services to be overloaded to the detriment of all. But as natural born Irish citizens, we have reason to expect a lot more from our state in terms of the social contract.

I don’t understand why some people get so very upset about those who think immigration in Ireland is a bit of a wind up to be honest.

Not necessarily just in terms of numbers, but I mean considering there’s refugees & asylum seekers sleeping on the streets due to lack of resources to accommodate them, we’ve probably taken a few too many..

I think it’s fair that before allowing someone to live here they should be made to prove they will not be a burden on the state. Why in christs name are we supposed to take other countries garbage exactly? Do you think we’d be welcome into any country with a view to just sucking the welfare system dry?

Naturally that doesn’t encompass people who immigrate here for work whether that be cleaning toilets or a surgeon it’s irrelevant just the fact they’re here to do something is good enough. But we cannot allow people in sight unseen who are not coming to provide a purpose but simply because they’re countries a bit of a mess at the minute.

I feel desperately sorry for anyone whose home is being ravaged by war or anything else but why do I need to care more about them than the folks here already? At the end of the day government failure or otherwise if the number of people immigrating here causes housing stocks, waiting lists or anything to suffer pressure or strain we have over done it.

i don’t think that’s necessarily racist of bigoted of me to say. I also do not understand why citizens access to anything should be put second to asylum seekers and refugees. Our country should do what it can to help as we have been helped before but we should not oversubscribe ourselves to the point where citizens suffer and we have the aforementioned asylum seekers and refugees sleeping in bloody tents..

Beyond that regardless of refugee of asylum seeker I think if your not benefiting the country in any meaningful way (ie think living on welfare) then you should be made to leave or denied asylum. Simple as.

Again desperate to have war at home but you can’t sit with a straight face and say it’s no problem to continue to just live here on social welfare either.

Would other countries do it for us? I don’t think the likes of Australia would have Irish folks emigrating if they were going in without a single purpose beyond government assistance for the duration.

In fact I’m fairly certain they specifically require you to have a reason for coming that includes the means to support yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭standardg60

Personally i do care more about people who've actually made an effort to better their lives over those who were born here with every opportunity handed to them yet make no effort to contribute to society and just sponge and complain about 'their entitlements'. Sickens me tbh.

Putting 'our own' first as if 'we' are all contributing equally is such a generalisation but it comes as no surprise as those who spout it will generalise immigrants in the same way. Of course there are bad'uns, like there are everywhere, but lest we forget Palani arrived here when he was 6, Puska was here at least 7 years before he murdered, and the current suspect was here 20. Immigration has shag all to do with instances of killing in the grand scheme, just today another Irish person was convicted of killing their girlfriend, which is the case 9 times out of 10 at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

To answer your first question....a god fearing Irish pillar of the community fatally stabbed wis wife and three children in 2016

Strong case Palani’s religion and culture influenced his crimes. The fact that he arrived in Ireland so young but never integrated into Irish society doesn’t bode well for future large scale immigration from the Middle East and Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭enricoh

Over 60% presenting at Dublin airport had no id. Not an issue according to you- are you an refugee industry advisor to the government by any chance?!!

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2023/0216/1357159-over-60-of-asylum-applicants-at-dublin-airport-had-no-id/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement