Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Immigration Sentiment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

You go from asking a particularly stupid question to a statement of the bleeding obvious. Well done to you!

Of course anyone with a knife who damages a car needs an intervention of some sort regardless of whether they are from Algeria or Adare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes and it's useful to compare all the different ad hoc historical arguments for why various countries must accept immigrants.

Irish must accept immigrants because we’ve historically emigrated.

Americans and Australians must accept immigrants because they’ve historically immigrated.

The French and British must accept immigrants because they used to have colonial Empires.

Germans must accept immigrants because of the Holocaust.

For each individual country there is a historical 'hook' to be used to cynically create feelings of guilt in the local population. Yet turning all of Western Europe into an indiscriminate 'zone' for incoming economic worker units couldn't be more generic and bloodless. I'm not all teary-eyed about it and I don't think the corporate lobbyists who push for these big population movements are teary-eyed either. Do they give a tinker's fig that someone's grandfather set out from Kerry for Newfoundland in 1848?

If somehow the 'Irish people emigrated' thing became too much of a punchline, they would just have their media mouthpieces start saying something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

Some Facts!

• the world is more populated than ever before. +8 billion and rising. https://www.worldometers.info
    • vast numbers of people on this planet are on the move like never before. there are many causes, but war/conflict, hunger, & climate change are the main drivers.
    • in general populations of poor/less developed countries want to move to richer/more developed countries. be honest, only fools would move in the opposite direction.
    • here in little old Eireann we make-up approx. 0.06% of the world's pop. that's 0.0006! or in layman's terms, a tiny, tiny number
    • matters not a jot whether you, me or anybody on this forum wants or desires this.
    • matters not a jot how many buses you burn, how many marches/protests/riots you participate in.

Conlusion? Get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

I'm just trying to make a point that's it not all about immigration or where a person is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’m not certain you have a handle on basic maths. Probably not the best person to assert facts or draw conclusions tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Walid Bouskia remanded in custody charged with the possession of a knife

Just one example above but there seems to be many knife crimes involving asylum seekers and immigrants etc.,

I think the growing anti immigration discontent is going to get worse, the government should start listening to the people, the local TDs should get more vocal for their constituents, if you are anti immigration you are branded as a far right racist but people have a right to be concerned and worried

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes it does matter what people here think, and what ordinary Irish people in general think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I caught up on the news today, and there was an interesting discussion regarding this. Mary Lou MacDonald got harassed getting into a car by some ne'er do wells.

Well, she noted that there are people who have legitimate concerns about issues such as immigration who get lumped in with the 'alt-right', which is unfair because we know these alt-righters are not looking for any kind of discussion or dialogue. People with legitimate concerns will often get tossed aside or labelled as any number of -ism's/ ist's.

I think, however, much of the anger is directed at the wrong people. For example, the folks in Rosslare who are protesting a site that was designated for a nursing home and is now going to be emergency accommodation have, for the most part, acknowledged that it's the politicians and government who have made a mess of things. If the site is given over as a refugee center, it's not the refugees who should take the blame.

It's the politicians who went back on their word. Even on Katie Hannon's program, a politician, months ago, promised to engage with the locals regarding Rosslare. He's not engaged with them at all. That's only going to created voter apathy and lead to anger and resentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

No....

only people who

A) Own their place

And

B) Have a spare room.

• Advertisement

Màny of us are emigrants NOW or have emigrated and returned, sometimes multiple times.

We know what it's like. We don't need to hark back to 'De Famine '.

Doesn't change the fact that the Irish government is making a complete balls of immigration policy.

Why does an African need a level playing field in Europe. Can I get a level playing field in Africa. Or an Arab or an Asian or even Americans get a level playing field in Europe?

Serious question . It's something interesting to think about .

Apart from that is it ABSOLUTELY LUDICROUS to think a small island with a tiny population could absorb a huge number of refugees and economic migrants from every type of war and climate crisis coming down the line. There's millions of potential Palestinian refugees alone. Ya think we can take them in , passport or no passport , when the country is bursting at the seams already ?

Should we accept to drastically reduce our standard of living and even become a minority in your own country and accept our culture is radically changed ?

Why should people accept that? Even Palestinians want their own country for themselves. And so do Ukrainians and Eritreans and Ethipioans.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭dickdasr1234

You believe knife crime is linked to immigration?

I assume you have facts to support this conclusion?

Or do you just generally believe in any old shite?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Billionaires and their mini empires are our real enemies

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

I don't believe that for a second.

I think you need to take a step back and see that I was the one asking this same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

RTE interviewing someone from the refugee Council of Ireland this morning. He wants the army to build accommodation on government land now for more accommodation.

Full is full and these people haven't the brains to factor in other issues like providing services. He was very good at getting his right wing narrative threw in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭Shoog

Climate change is creating more refugees, it causing areas to be uninhabitable and is causing wars to break out which in turn is causing more refugees.

The flow of refugees is just getting started and short of a major change in international law we will have to accommodate them in some way. If you don't like the situation now then you are going to hate the inevitable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

I'm sorry to say it but we seen the start of the inevitable future last Thursday.

Unless our government seriously makes some serious decisions its likely to get alot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This BS again.

Climate change is real but the idea most of the asylum seekers here are due to climate is nonsense.

Georgia, Albania, Afghanistan, Nigeria, Somalia are not all recently uninhabitable due to climate change. Yet most of asylum seekers coming here are from those countries.

What does that tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭Shoog

I did not make any such claim, but what is absolutely true is climate change is creating refugees and this will massively increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Speaking of Climate Change...Have you not seen the flood map for Ireland. Any maritime town, city and area will be under water in the not too distant future. Just look at what happened in Midleton.

Also if this level of rainfall keeps up, we won't be able to grow our own crops.

As selfish as it sounds, it's one man, woman and child for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Is it true though?

Where is evidence behind such a claim?

Also most famines have political causes rather than purely climate as the cause. But no doubt many will claim climate for everything from political corruption to poor education - it was de climate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Exactly. And what really annoys me is the guards have more than enough to be doing already without lunatics wielding knives running around Longford town.

We have no vetting background checks on these arrivals.

It’s sickening that men (it’s almost all men) come to Ireland and then absolutely abuse the system or cause crime and/or violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I agree to a point, the government hasn't a clue what they are doing, and are fecking up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Pretty sure you do. Maybe those with forever home council house tenants can apply though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There is no Dept of Immigration, the immigration section lies under the Dept of Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭dickdasr1234

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No we don't have to accept this. We have a history of emigration as has often been pointed out. But for those who left, many stayed behind, lived lives of often more relative poverty but built the country up to what it is today.

Many of those coming here now should be repatriated to their country of birth, their homeland and let them do their duty as citizens of those states to build them up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement