Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Immigration Sentiment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad, you've immigrants on high paying jobs paying tax which is then going to pay social welfare for dole scroungers that are hurling abuse at them.

So I have to solve a problem with immigration to stop arseholes being racists to Indian doctors?

You do realise you're actually allowing people to be racists with comments like that?

How about the racist arseholes stop being racist arseholes? Is that too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

In history of the US, immigrationism waxed and waned. There were of course periods with lots of in-migration and also periods where immigration was tapered off when Americans were concerned that too many immigrants were being brought in. There were strict controls at times. E.g. "The Immigration Act of 1924 limited the number of immigrants allowed entry into the United States through a national origins quota."

Also we are not trying to settle a newly-discovered colony with vasts tracts of open country.

Too many Irish commentators make open-ended appeals (that don't easily allow for limits) and won't go beyond rhetorical formulas like "Irish people emigrated first".

The 'debate':

Okay so should we implement a skills-based quota system?

"Irish people emigrated. Our fathers went to America"

Should we have large scale immigration this decade - and then reduce numbers next decade to allow for gradual integration?

"They went on coffin ships hat in hand. They weren't turned away. Our own people - Irish people! We did it first!"

Should ongoing infrastructural requirements be taken into account as we develop a plan for our policy?

"Irish people -------------> emigrated"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Its nice and handy to have the immigration debate coming to the fore at the moment while other crises like the cost of living, housing, homelessness, the health service, RTE, etc. can slink into the background.

It also helps to drum up support for more investment in/powers for the Guards, not to mention fast-tracking FRT and bodycams as well as the hate speech law, which seems to have been bogged down for some time (*not living in Ireland so not sure about that last one).

The Government seem relatively happy to let this be the topic of the day, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Its nice and handy to have the immigration debate coming to the fore at the moment while other crises like the cost of living, housing, homelessness, the health service, RTE, etc. can slink into the background.

It also helps to drum up support for more investment in/powers for the Guards, not to mention fast-tracking FRT and bodycams as well as the hate speech law, which seems to have been bogged down for some time (*not living in Ireland so not sure about that last one).

The Government seem relatively happy to let this be the topic of the day, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Do I need to remind you an Algerian stabbed 3 children yesterday? When was the last time an Irish person or non-Muslim did that? Just random co-incidence that the person who stabbed the children was of Muslim and immigrant background?

Hears a statistic for you - only 28% of Africans of working age in Ireland are in full time employment.

Here's another fact for you - there is no war in Algeria, Albania, Georgia and nigeria - so why are we taking tens of thousands of "asylum seekers" from those countries and giving them hotels around the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Unfortunately, the ability to travel requires laws to be adhered to.

if I don’t have a visa/esta I cannot travel to the US same, if I don’t have a passport. Eritrea issues passports and has embassies that issues visa’s. Yes I have an education, I paid for mine. I also paid tens of thousands in tax to the Irish government. I have now paid hundreds of thousands to my host country.

open borders for all, costs tax payers hundreds of millions each year. What payback do tax payers get from illegal immigration? Honestly….if someone has an education they do it the LEGAL way. Not all immigrants are legal. You won’t find doctors/engineers/nurses entering illegally.

if I rock up to most countries outside Europe I need a visa. I have to have a passport or I am refused entry. Rock up to most countries without a passport, I am refused entry and detained / deported. Having worked in Africa I know this (oh by the way in most countries in Africa you also need a vaccination card).

Life is not a level playing field, never will be! People strive to better themselves, I get that. But… and a HUGE BUT(T).. you do things legally and shouldn’t feel entitled to something by breaking the laws in your new host country. Be that paying someone of criminal intent thousands of dollars to Illegally get there initially or “losing” you passport while flying from another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Nobody should be giving out personal abuse, that's very bad.

Bringing in Indian IT workers - or out-sourcing to Indian firms if the work is 100% digital - is a standard method big corporations use for cost-cutting in the US and Britain.

These Indian employees are not filling a shortage but really are being used as a form of competition. No blame should be attached to any immigrant, all of whom deserve good treatment, but there is nothing wrong with altering national policy and saying to companies that they must find other methods to maximise their profit-taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

"When was the last time an Irish person or non-Muslim did that? Just random co-incidence that the person who stabbed the children was of Muslim and immigrant background?"

Are you honestly asking when the last time an Irish child was killed by an Irish person? Several times a year. Or are we talking about stabbing specifically?

"Hears a statistic for you - only 28% of Africans of working age in Ireland are in full time employment."

Bullsh*t.

"Here's another fact for you - there is no war in Algeria, Albania, Georgia and nigeria - so why are we taking tens of thousands of "asylum seekers" from those countries and giving them hotels around the country?"

Tens of thousands? Bullsh*t.

You don't have to be fleeing from war to be an asylum seeker.

Maybe wipe the foam off your mouth and engage your brain before spouting this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Employers would pay €2 an hour if they could get away with it. Obviously employers are gonna want to pay the lowest wages possible.

Who's gonna have higher expenses a single immigrant living 7 or 8 to a house or an Irish person providing for a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Cant believe im going to type this as my girlfriend and her family are immigrants, but its plainly obvious.

Uncontrolled immigration never ends well, both for immigrants and the people already in a country.

But we are where we are and pointing that obvious thing out wont actually do anything but rile some people up.

• Advertisement

Ireland does not have uncontrolled immigration.

It has high levels of immigration.

The government has mechanisms to reduce immigration if needed, both legal immigration and illegal. They choose not to do so.

The government leaves the door open, and people are getting riled up by people walking through it.

If people are worried about immigration then vote for people who say they will reduce it.

It is not controlled. Not by a long way. Im not going to be voting on immigration policy alone, so whoever wants my vote better convince me they have some idea how to run a country.

How are you saying it's uncontrolled? How many people are sneaking into the country unknown to the Irish government and living and working illegally?

I think you understand what I am saying. See this is the problem. People cant take their heads out of their arses and look at the situation like intelligent people. Its all about point scoring in one way or another.

But it is controlled at the point of entry and you know as well as the rest of us any claim to the contrary is pure nonsense.

Answer me this:

If you flew in from wherever the fcuk tomorrow morning, will you be allowed free access to the country without a passport & visa? Free access meaning you can walk out the front door of T1 and go have a gay old time in Dublin or wherever you want.

Is that the case at present?

I don't understand what you're saying.

Uncontrolled immigration means the government sets controls and the controls don't work.

Ireland does not have that situation.

I would say the UK has uncontrolled immigration, but government complicity since the UK government downright refuses to repatriate illegal immigrants, despite what some say in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well there are very good 'anti immigration' viewpoints.. if you happen to be part of society that has been affected by the influx. Maybe you haven't and that's grand but others have.

Take our family position in a rural area, adult children who would like to be living and working in one of the larger urban areas; Dublin, Galway, Cork etc or even one of the bigger towns. They could get a job in these places but have little hope of finding half decent accommodation at a cost they could afford from the wages. Now there are many reasons behind the shortage of rentals but one of the principle ones is shortage of supply and one of the drivers limiting that supply is the large increase in people coming to Ireland for work. In my time, we had no difficulty at all renting a house at a reasonable price in the suburbs of Dublin. There was no queue, you could take your pick. Now it's snap them up as soon as advertised, join a queue to view and pay through the nose. And when you walk the streets of Dublin, what do you see - every other person is non Irish.

Throw on top of that a government bent on buying up accommodation to meet their legal obligations regarding social housing & refugees etc and yes you can see I hope how this is a valid 'anti immigration' reservation. Our adult children are obliged to live at home in rural Ireland or emigrate.

You can say the same about school places, GP visits, hospital beds, traffic etc etc.

As I said, there's no point blaming people for walking through a door that the Irish government left open. People should have been protesting outside Leinster House to limit immigration if they are affected by these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I recently starting working in a large international company in Dublin. One of my first meetings was with 12 people and I was the only Irish native in the meeting. I was not offended but it was a big surprise to me. Genuinely believed the first areas of employment that would have issues would be manual and low skilled job would be filled with immigrants. So my surprise was high paying jobs are filled with immigrants more than i thought. I have plenty of experience working with many nationalities but I was never the minority working in my own country.

To take it as a shock I think is fair but I am not angry about it. Lots of Indian people I am working with and like most groups there are some that are nice and some not so nice. I am getting used to the different accents and where they come from in India and there are some big differences culturally within a very large country. Had two guys I was happy working with and they seemed nice until another Indian person joined. They were horrible to her because she was a different caste to them. It took a while before we realised what was going on but when she was pout in charge of a project the two guys just refused to do as she asked. Then they explained why expecting us to understand but instead the 2 were fired. Oddly she was working with Pakistan people no problem.

Don't think there was any issues with Irish views on non-natives other than some language/accent issues.

Where as growing up in Dublin I remember the danger and risk of standing out by just having long hair. The crowd in Dublin riots are not a surprise and it was never about race but being not part of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

At least 60% of AS in Dublin airport have no documents, so they all destroyed documents that they had hours earlier, so they are making a bogus claim.

Yes, I do worry about fraud among Irish welfare claimants. Of the three people I know on DA, two are not disabled, and you could argue about the third.

• Advertisement

Genuine refugees are not illegal, correct.

AS making bogus claims should not be in the country.

did you mix up refugees with illegal immigration by accident or on purpose?

The 42m per month is specifically for AS, not refugees.

Ireland has been very generous towards UKR refugees, fair play to us. Indeed, I think we have been a bit too generous, and most people are coming around to agree with that by now.

It is the wasted expenditure on AS making bogus claims that most people reject.

Like most reasonable people, I welcome UKR refugees here.

I do not welcome AS making bogus claims.

Even if you don't think they should be on DA do you think they could work a job? I know a few on DA and while they could physically work mentally they can't. I am not saying they are mentally ill just they couldn't turn up on time, work a full day, take direction etc... You also don't know about mental illness of such people who often have very low self esteem with panic attacks or rage issues. Wouldn't worry about their bravado because they aren't going to admit they are not capable of work to you but say how great it is to not work. They are not living good lives but giving them money is better than having them starve or end up in prison.

One is a housewife, aged 60, no disability. They drive an AUDI Q5, nixer of maybe 40k gross.

One is a lad aged about 60 who has a small hobby / business (not declared), which he does work at, but also gets DA.

The third person does have a mental illness, fair enough, he's hard work to deal with, he would not be great at taking direction, turning up on time, etc.

You could argue that the third person deserves DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I know I won't be believed and it doesn't bother me but the moment I learned of the stabbing in Dublin I knew it was an immigrant (to differentiate from an Irish born national).

How?..because while Irish people stab I don't think we've reached a level yet of random stabbings of unknown people.

Those who are running the direction of this country are too willing to be seen to allow everyone in, regardless of age/gender or/education and no limit whatsoever on numbers.

This is a small country with too many people in too few cities/towns and way too little available accommodation.

There's been 4 stabbings in Dublin in the past few months that I know of. I'm sure there was more.

Dublin airport, man from Angola

Grafton St. man from Algeria

Chatham St. unknown nationality

Parnell Sq. Algerian (but Irish citizen)

Report them for fraud and tax evasion. You are letting them do it. I don't know them but you are complaining and doing nothing.

If you only use Gript as a news source, you'll only hear about non-Irish stabbings. Trust me, there are a load more stabbings than what appear in Gript

• Advertisement

The only people to ever pull a knife on me in Dublin were Irish and that is 6 times with one stabbing me with a screw driver that he asked for it back as he thought I was someone else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement