Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jozef Puska guilty of murder of Ashling Murphy (Mod notes and threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

There are also people genuinely concerned that the arrival of men from much more misogynistic and violent countries will spell danger for women living in Ireland. The proportion of non-Irish men being charged with “stranger” attacks on women seems very high. Just going by newspaper reports. This has definitely been the case in Sweden. So I do think there are some well founded reasons for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

This is the problem with the narrative the media have been trying to push - most people who are “anti-immigrant” (which as I said earlier has lost all meaning) are not batshit crazy, far right loons who live on the fringes of society.

They are normal everyday, educated, working people who see what a drain these types of immigrants are having on our country, and think a mature conversation needs to be had.

Yes, we have Irish murders. But up until the murder was committed, how could we have stopped it happening? However, if we had to have applied the rule that EU citizens must be able to support themselves and therefore they get deported/no welfare, there’s every chance Puska wouldn’t have been living here to murder Ashling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm sure he probably did mean what people are implying he meant. He's hurting and in his situation I could easily imagine that you would feel aggrieved at every step that resulted in what happened happening.

I think he is wrong if this is what he was in fact implying, but I could understand him holding that view.

But the likes of McGregor? F right off with your assessment of the ills of the country. That man has no authority to speak in this manner and it is worrying to see the reach of his message and the reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

To be fair, if anyone is qualified to speak on being a dole monkey and a danger to women, it's Britain's Conor McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is exactly the point I was making above. For some murders by Irish men dont really to really matter as much.....

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

This is just not true. People from countries with different values or horrific poverty or war etc. Will be vastly different to the average Irish person

Environment plays a huge role in human conditioning.

Its ignorant to believe we can all get together in a big melting pot, mingle and compete for resources without issues.

Humans are animals at the end of the day. We're territorial, tribalist and savage. Its a recipe for disaster imo.

There are also people genuinely concerned that the arrival of men from much more misogynistic and violent countries

This is the first website I found comparing crime in Ireland and Slovakia. Link

This would suggest, I'm not saying it is definitive, that Slovakia is safer than Ireland.

Again, I'm not saying that this is definitive, but I think just applying a perception as to the likelihood of carrying out a crime because of the origins of someone is a misguided, and dangerous approach to take.

No, the issue is that we have no means to stop an Irish person carrying out a murder in Ireland.

But if an unemployed person from Slovakia, who was granted a 5 bedroom council house, and been living off welfare for years commits a murder, people are entitled to ask why was he living here in the first place to commit the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Its not surprising that McGregor has a lot of people saying he is great for his racist views on the murder, sure more than half the population are below average intelligence as far as I am aware, it shows in the comments under his twitter post.

Its ignorant to believe we can all get together in a big melting pot, mingle and compete for resources without issues.

What is ignorant is implying that there are no issues if a homogenous society exists.

Humans are animals at the end of the day. We're territorial, tribalist and savage. Its a recipe for disaster imo.

Humans are inherently collaborative its proved throughout history as people/tribes/races inherently have sought to mix and intertwine more and more.

Of course there are tribal elements, but the much more proven motivation is towards integration. It ultimately leads to a safer society as if you maintain division you are much likely to see conflict at a macro scale while still having the individual acts of crime and violence carried out by and on individuals at a a local level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Hamachi

This thread is becoming increasingly ridiculous.

People ascribing their own world view to Ashling’s grieving boyfriend and family. The fact is that none of us are in a position to decipher Ryan’s intent. Only he knows the true import of his statement.

People who work in tech and education have no opinion on immigration policy, apparently!

Hopefully, we can at least all agree that justice was served and with some luck, that despicable creature will never see the light of day again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

but sure he could have had a job and still committed the murder? i lived abroad for years and could have murdered someone, whether i was getting council housing or not doesn't really make me more likely to murder does it? i had an irish friend from limerick in london who got a council flat from lambeth council, if he turned around and murdered someone one day, i'm not really sure why that would be relevant.

I think regular people are afraid to express immigration concerns for fear it will affect their professional careers. It’s only people on the margins who have nothing to lose who feel free to vocalise their concerns. Not saying for a second that there is large anti-immigration sentiment in Ireland, but I think there are more than the marginalised who have some worries on the issue.

Humans have raped pillaged and plundered throughout their history.

The fact that homogeneous societies would still have issues is my point. Even in a homogeneous society humans will find differences and tribalism.

Yet you think it's a good idea to jettison humans from the other side of the world into those socities?

Between travel and connectivity the 21st century has brought about a melting pot that we've never quite experienced before.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

I think the young man may have been commenting on the similarities between some of the most high profile murders recently.

The double murder in Sligo comes to mind.

Also committed by an individual who never contributed to society and lived off the tax payer.

Look there are weekly stories from the courts from firearms charges,to rapes to assaults.

Irish people commit these crimes too of course but that's no reason to excuse or add more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Wrong, people would still be posting due to it been a very shocking murder. If your not able to accept people talking about basic facts then I'd recommend staying away from the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭suvigirl

. The proportion of non-Irish men being charged with “stranger” attacks on women seems very high. 

what is that proportion then?

And here we have the racist card again being used when I question why we don’t implement EU rules for immigration 👏👏 The EU must be awful racist to even have that rule in the first place 🙄

Yet you think it's a good idea to jettison humans from the other side of the world into those socities?

This individual wasn't from the other side of the world though was he, he was a European from a largely catholic country as Ireland is.

Between travel and connectivity the 21st century has brought about a melting pot that we've never quite experienced before.

Correct, and this travel and community has, for the vast majority, brought about positive outcomes. That's even leaving aside the conflict that came from completely isolated nations which was the case also. I'm not saying that everyone meshes perfectly, or that we're all dancing around a May tree together or anything, but you can't ignore the greater experience just because of isolated events just because these isolated events are horrific and therefore get a lot of attention.

Tayyab Salah Uddin.

Google search this individual.

• Advertisement

Well in fairness the more people like Puska leave Slovakia the safer it will get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭spakman

There's a difference between an Irish deadbeat scrounger criminal, and a migrant with the same "qualities".

We can't do anything about the native - he's a drain on society but he's Irish so we have to put up with him.

But a migrant who comes into this country and contributes nothing (not to mention commits crimes) should be sent back to where he came from.

Even the way you phrased your discussion about women murdered by Irish men.... shows you dont really care about them

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

“Humans have raped pillaged and plundered throughout their history.”

Yes and they always will, because it’s part of our nature even if it’s difficult to accept.

And what about the negative outcomes?

Should we not be trying to minimise the potential for such horrific incidents as the thread topic and other incidents.

Care to show where I said I don’t care, rather than how we can’t really prevent an Irish person carrying out a murder? Otherwise you’re just talking nonsense.

Can you list the benefits? I don't see any if I'm being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

If Josef Puska hadn't left Slovakia, chances are Ashling Murphy would still be alive and doing all those things Ryan mentioned. Puska didn't care who he targeted that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what is there 100,000 Ukrainian refugees here? mostly women and children and over 60s men I think, if 1 or 2 Ukrainian men attacked an Irish woman in Ireland, you would get all the usual idiots demanding we deport all Ukrainians.

A huge number of Irish people have moved to Australia since say 2008, most are there to work hard but there have been a lot of bad apples move there as well, I know of a good few, not sure how half of them got into Australia to be honest. some of them have killed people in Austalia so its a bit rich that Irish people are now trying to imply all immigrants into Ireland are dangerous.

• Advertisement

Who said Irish people cant be prevented from murdering? Thats even a ridiculous suggestion! You can have a lot more refuges so that women can leave domestic violence before they get murdered, you can provide much more education generally within the population to reduce the amount of men who murder. There are many many things that could be done. And even again this shows you want to target lots of non murderers just because of their nationality.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement