Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jozef Puska guilty of murder of Ashling Murphy (Mod notes and threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

According to pavee point in 2018 there were 5,000 Roma in Ireland and had an unemployment rate of 83%.

There needs to be education and opportunities given.

If not taken up or refused then some sort of removal from the state under grounds of being a burden and unwilling to participate.

Pretty much the opposite of the current system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jackboy

Well yes, the boyfriends statement was clearly focused on the issue of the state funding useless wasters, for life, without expecting them to contribute anything to society. It was actually not an attack on immigrants, rather the governments actions in dealing with these and our home grown wasters.

Had she lived, herself and her boyfriend would have had to deal with a lifetime of being targeted by the government with ever inventive taxes, scrutiny and punishments in order to fund such wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Where you going to remove them to?

Lots of these people born here and are citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would hazard a guess that Ryan would be appalled at how his comments have been (deliberately?) misconstrued on social media - I don't believe he was speaking about the immigration issue at all. He was merely highlighting his frustration about how an obvious waster and good-for-nothing like Puska could live on benefits for ten years, seemingly unhindered.

Best to ignore the opinions of these people. They do not matter. White noise is the term I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

"Anti immigration" people hate this, as it's one of the very reasons they oppose immigration. Of course they'll use cases like this to bolster their position though, why wouldn't they?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You're claiming he'd be appalled about the use of his supposed intent, because of how others have tried to interpret his intent, while you also do the same? The audacity.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Maybe stop them at the airport and if from EU countries deport them back after 3 months if they can’t support themselves as rules allow?

Just to add to that from

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/residence-rights/inactive-citizens/indexamp_en.htm#abbr-tooltip

"Economically inactive EU citizens

As an EU citizen, you have the right to move to any EU country for a period of up to 3 months as long as you have a valid identity card or passport. If you want to settle in another EU country but you have no intention to take up any work or education there, you need to prove that you:

have sufficient resources for you and your family during the time you want to stay in your new country

have comprehensive health insurance"

Would Ryan really use Ashling's victim impact statement to start a debate about immigration? If he wanted to do that, he could go on the Late Late Show at some point or give a lengthy exclusive interview to one of the Sunday newspapers. Practically his entire statement yesterday to the court was about Ashling and his love for her and little else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

No matter what way you look at it, this stat is a huge probem. There is no sugar coating them numbers.

Whose job is it to ask the questions, or have they abdicated their responsibility. We are a full employment economy, with certain industries crying out for workers. Bus drivers, construction, etc. There is no excuses.

If you are able bodied you should be working or else you are off welfare once you have been proven to be a useless society grubbing good for nothing waster. Again I ask - whose job is that to ask the questions and have they abdicated their responisbilities?

Immigration is a great thing. My partner is an immigrant. The people that come here have to be able to offer something to society like my partner who has worked her bones off from Day 1, starting in roles beneath her skillset to make it. I like the Australian system to be honest.

We are too **** soft. It is not an anti-immigration thing, it is a welfare thing and people are exploiting the system. Having people entre the country just to exploit the system shows that.

• The mention of Ashling’s mother having warned her that day not to be jogging along by the canal is slightly curious to me. Of course one always has to use caution at any time, and a mother will always be protective, but had there been recent talk in the area of a man/men lurking around the canal with little apparent purpose? Curious about that. I’m quite sure Puska had it in mind a long time to at least attack a woman in a quiet place, hoping he would get away with an encounter without the woman actually going to defend herself so that he would be “forced to use his knife”. I’m sure local stories will start emerging now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I work for a company that employs people from Eastern Europe, India and the US, great people. No issue with immigration but have an issue with giving accommodation and full social welfare to new arrivals

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thought exactly the same thing this morning when I read the family's impact statements.

Assuming it wasn't her first ever time running there, you'd wonder why a mother would suddenly ask her daughter not to run a route she frequented?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭rogber

Everywhere I've been Roma are intensely disliked by almost everyone but a handful of upper middle-class woke white people for reasons like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Same here too. I suspect that Recode’s analysis of the situation is correct. There were likely rumours circulating locally. This would surely heighten any parent’s anxiety levels.

I’m a runner myself who often goes for runs along the canal or through a wooded area. I find myself modifying my behavior and demeanour after this case. In the past, I would have always given the head nod or a ‘how’s it going’ to fellow joggers, both male and female.

Now, I’m very careful to avoid eye contact with lone female runners. I’m worried that I may be scaring them. I say this as a pretty decent looking, respectable, Irish guy who looks unthreatening. I can only imagine how some lad who’s 6’5’’ and looks a bit rough feels. The implications of that creature Puska’s actions ripple far and wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ssshhh.....can't be saying that.

Despite it being an inconvenient truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

To convince herself that she did the parental thing and worried about her daughter’s safety. I am not saying that she is at any fault of course, but she is likely torturing herself wondering if she failed her daughter by “letting” her go out for that run. Humans are strange in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No, he specifically referenced 'people who come to this country'. We've already had debates around general low life scumbaggery, anti-social behaviour and criminality, more recently in relation to Dublin's city centre problem where there the do gooders said that was all down to the state's lack of investment in deprived areas.

If was reported on RTE News a few weeks ago that Ireland's social welfare rates in Europe are double or more that of other EU countries. What kind of people do you think that attracts? It's not so much that immigrants are the problem, it's the calibre of immigrants that are coming that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The only reason people are still posting about this murder is because they love the fact that an unemployed foreigner committed it.

There are murders being committed every week, many by unemployed people, they don't seem to attract such interest.

it's a shame, but typical of people today that they use these terrible events to further their own agendas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

People who liked Conor McGregors tweet on this would want to have a good long look at themselves with his own personal history of treating others.

Another small community in the West of Ireland is recovering after a man took the life of his wife and then killed himself and people are focused on the heinous crime of one individual and implying that all who are born outside of the country should be considered as being comparable to him.

I grew up in Ireland when the news was frequently led with the latest woman who had gone missing in the south east of the country, many of whom were never found.

The implication that Ireland would be somehow completely safe if there weren't immigrants living there is both ignorant and dangerous. Seeing people applaud McGregor for pushing that message is particularly galling. Or do women not matter unless there life is taken by an immigrant, because if you are applauding him, then that is what you are saying.

Ryan doesn't exactly fit the profile of someone who would be trying to start a national debate about immigration into Ireland : a young man in his early 20s, university educated, working in the tech industry, his girlfriend a schoolteacher etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yeah, there was a woman killed by her husband (I think) down the road from me in Kilbarrack earlier this year by an Irish guy, and I couldn't tell you anything about the case.

ireland is globalised, there will always be people not born here living here and some will commit crimes, some will have never committed crimes before same way irish people have committed heinous crimes abroad.

we should do more to make women safer, but the origin of their attacker doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Is there a more recent figure I wonder? 5000 seems a very low figure given that every town seems to have a good number of Roma families. Not sure how committed the Roma community are to engaging with the census though. In fairness, the remaining Roma in Slovakia and elsewhere would be mad not to head to Ireland when we are prepared to offer a much better and easier life. And no requirement to work or learn the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's it exactly. Many other women murdered on Ireland and very small or quiet reaction . When it's an Immigrant it's being used to push a racist agenda. And shows some of the agenda pushers only care about women when they are murdered by migrants.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭hamburgham

and conor mcgregor of all people talking about women's safety lol

yeah a normal guy busy living a good life, people like him, i'd consider myself one of them, don't take our frustrations out on immigration policy, we just live our lives and enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Think at one of the last census the statistic was published that 17% of people living in Ireland were immigrants, and 17% of people born in Ireland ended up emigrating. Something I have done myself and am now living in my 4th different country.

Puska was evil and what he did to Ashling was horrific, but the genes/psyche/behavior that leads someone to do that exists in Irish people as much as it does foreigners. And painting all foreigners with one brush to prevent this happening is unfair, inappropriate and biased.

Many of the people using Ashlings tragedy to argue against immigrants were posting on this site decrying the idea that women often feel unsafe in Ireland going about their daily business at the time of her death. They refused to believe it or accept the idea that the behaviour of men (all men) often contributes to them feeling unsafe. Now they are using her name to help their argument on a different topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what did Ashlings boyfriend mean by " I'm afraid our country is heading down a very dangerous path"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement