Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jozef Puska guilty of murder of Ashling Murphy (Mod notes and threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

A real chicken and egg conundrum we have there so.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Were we not an upward economic trend anyway in the mid to late 1990s without any significant immigration? Not saying immigrants haven’t contributed to Ireland’s economy but not sure we would be living in abject poverty without them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

so do you think MNCs shouldn't be allowed hire any more foreigners? do you think that would go down well with MNCs who we are really dependent on for corpo tax?

it's true though, a friend of mine hires in IT, so many of the really techy jobs are being filled by indians nowadays as they can't get anyone else, they were there biggest migrant group to ireland last year according to the CSO.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

What was also interesting was that there were no protests at any of the League of Ireland clubs he played at.

well we wouldn't have had the same building boom, new motorways, all that jazz, it all really kicked off late 90s and beyond, it wouldn't have been possible without significant immigration. we wouldn't have gotten the investment for infrastructure from the EU unless we were in the EU, open borders and all.

do you really think it would have been for the good of the nation for politicians to say no we need to slow down and stop foreign investment and growth as we'll rely on immigration too much? they'd have been torn to pieces. we couldn't have had the building boom without polish builders for e.g., even though the property boom turned out to be bad news no one knew that at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Is it known if any of that murderers family are free loaders like himself? If they are it would be nice if their deportation is the start of a wave where we say goodbye to those who've not worked 5 year's or more now and have no legitimate reason to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Agree that the boyfriend said down uncomfortable truths, and shame on any media that did not report his sentiments in full . It's the least he deserves. His saying he will have to remember Aisling longer than he knew her was gut reaching to read.

If Puska is an embarassment to his village, and country (as reported), he has to also be an embarrassment to our welfare and benefits.system. Only he knows the why he did this but if we had more robust enforcement, perhaps he may have fed/satisfied his sick desires somewhere else and not at the expense of poor Aisling Murphy.

Now we have to fund all his appeals and what is hopefully, a full life sentence. Unfortunately the later will be money well spent on this depraved parasite on Irish taxpayers.

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭malinheader

I welcome any person coming into the country to work and integrate and add to society.

I definitely don't welcome any person coming into the country who has no intention of working no intention of integrating or adding to society.

The government never had any plans or intention to make sure that the latter didn't happen, and why were going to pay a heavy price in future years as a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't think anyone has a problem with immigrants.

I think people have a problem with a system that accommodates people who cruise in hoping for a decent life living off welfare.

We need a better system that is more aligned with say Austrailia. You're entirely welcome, but if you've no interest in working, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Hamachi

That’s a good point actually. A few posters have already mentioned that the role of Puska’s family ought to be examined robustly. If some/all of them are determined to have covered up that monster’s actions, the first step is immediately stopping their benefits and seizing their state-owned property. That alone should negate the need to enforce a deportation order. When their pipeline of ‘freebies’ from the state dries up, the likelihood is that they will self-deport quite rapidly.

Whilst it would be cold comfort to Ryan and Ashling’s family, it would at least ensure that they never have to encounter that horrible clan in their local area. It’s also somewhat in keeping with the sentiment expressed in Ryan’s victim impact statement.

We were building roads before the polish... and plenty of people could see the down side to the boom much like plenty of people can see the down side to mass migration.

Your inferiority complex is the inverse of English exceptionalism.

We're wealthy for many reasons, English speaking, geographical location, Americas love in with us (ironically due to all the Irish emigrants).

But only the native Americans can give out about that mass migration.

I'm not arguing against the EU either. Im aware of its positive contributions to Ireland, Europe and the world.

I don't think our politicians have any semblance of control or indeed thought at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The poster isnt wrong at all though The wealth of Irelands Celtic Tiger economy couldn't have happened without immigration.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

The tiger economy was smoke and mirrors, there was not true wealth. It was borrowed money, the vast amount of still has not been paid back. It wasn’t immigrants that drove the tiger economy, it was corrupt incompetent politicians working with with their cronies.

More like the debt of Celtic Tiger Ireland. The luas and a few extra roads is all we have to show for the boom years and a load of poorly built houses/apartments in ballygobackward.

I see no benefit to the masses. A small percentage of developers and politicians made out like bandits and the rest of us kept the lights on.

We have to accommodate all the immigrants. We're not Saudi Arabia. An immigrant taking a job in Ireland for a company using us to avoid tax is not a net benefit to the country and that's the immigrants who work.

We do not have the infrastructure. Our healthcare system is bursting at the seams. We've no housing. Our transport system is 2nd World. But let's keep loading people into these creaking services, sure what could go wrong.

It's really not true to claim that wealth Ireland has could have happened without immigration. No matter how much you claim it.

Migrants have contributed to economic growth, have provided labour where there was shortages as well as other economic effects such as increased output.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm not and never have denied that. Every immigrant who works in this country is contributing and I hold no ill will towards any of them.

My argument is simply that it's not a clear cut net benefit to the country. Eother econivally or socially.

I don't think its a positive to have various cultures/civilisations intermingling.

I think it's positive that for the most part our churches are becoming relics to be admired like items in museums.

But we're seeing mosques being built and bursting at the seams. That's very far from a positive to me.

We're reversing our progress as a nation by allowing the scourge of organised religion to take another hold over the populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Regardless of whether you are pro-immigration or anti, I think this case has highlighted one indisputable fact. We need better checks, screening, and follow-ups.

Immigration, in general, and if done right (i.e. regulated and controlled) is a good thing. Anyone denying that has their own agenda. But, as part of that regulation and control, proper checks on applicants, screening, monitoring and follow-ups are needed. Why are some people ignoring the massive elephant in the room, that there are large numbers (such as that scumbag Puska) coming here to milk the system, and worse. Those dismissing this fact undermines any argument they put forth. What is so wrong with the Australian model? Or are they considered "racist", "hard right", "insert generic buzzword here". It seems some of us Irish have this massive inferiority complex where we feel compelled and "morally obliged" (god, I hate that term!) to take in all and sundry. Without question. I say fcuk that. Take control of our borders and overhaul the system. That's basically what Ryan was saying, but some extremist ideologues have obviously twisted his words to suit their agenda. Shame on them, and certain posters on here too.

Their recent no vote for aboriginal rights would indicate they ate indeed racist Ted 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Advertisement

Touché 😅 Regardless, I still think their immigration policy is a model to follow

"I don't think its a positive to have various cultures/civilisations intermingling."

Where in the world could you go to avoid this? Every wealthy country has a mix of cultures. I really don't get why it would bother you that places would have a mix of people.

A lot of what is posted here is about scapegoating immigrants, blaming immigrants, suggesting immigrants bring no benefit, suggesting that immigrants only bring criminality with them, highlighting crime purely because it was carried out by an immigrant. The rhetoric here is all about exclusion of immigrants and negative stereotypes of people based on nationality and religion. I have no problem in highlighting all of this.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Those particular immigrants you describe came in the fill open roles and these immigrants were given zero supports from the state. I worked with many of them, top class in general.

The likes of Puska who are given open ended supports for life are clearly different. These two types of immigrants should not be conflated.

A lot of what is posted here is about scapegoating immigrants, blaming immigrants, suggesting immigrants bring no benefit, suggesting that immigrants only bring criminality with them, highlighting crime purely because it was carried out by an immigrant. The rhetoric here is all about exclusion of immigrants and negative stereotypes of people based on nationality and religion. I have no problem in highlighting all of this.

Terry Pratchet

Because ultimately I think we're a pack animal. So we don't truly integrate. We create pockets of our people.

Which means you get demarcations of not just economics as you would in homogeneous societies but very clear race ones and I think that leads to increased friction in society.

Ok but you're going to be disappointed for the rest of your life if you think cultures can be kept separately geographically on planet earth, they never really have been and never will be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭francois

Thread descent as predicted

• Advertisement

Sure isn't life just a series of dissapointmemts 😀

But in all seriousness I'm just philosophising. I'm well off and educated. It doesn't really effect me like the marginalised.

Id fear for someone like Ashlings partner. What has happened to him is almost like American History X. I hope he doesn't descend into a hate spiral.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement