Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marvels - MCU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As usual the trailer shows too much. Guess I won't be watching another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,375 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Why watch the full trailer if you feel the trailers show too much? Like, I totally agree (for all trailers - especially 2nd ones - not just mcu), but if you just stop it early you get a sense of the film without spoilers..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alexander113

Me neither. They are airing the last episode this week. Not liking phase 5. 

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't usually watch more than a teaser trailer so not sure why I watched this full one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,375 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's so frustrating though isn't it? Like, I want to be able to watch trailers for stuff I'm excited about, but they throw so much information in there that can ruin all the anticipation for a movie in about 3 minutes. I find when I go to the cinema now I end up having to look at my feet and try not to take in the audio after about a minute of each trailer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'm inclined to go and see this twice just to spite all the man babies who seem hell bent on complaining that something might not be directed entirely at their personal wishes. I've still no idea why Brie Larson gets so much aggro. Samuel L Jackson likes her so I doubt she's got these massive (but entirely non-explained) personality flaws the neckbeards are continually telling us she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I held off watching the Marvels trailer until after episode 6 of Secret Invasion, and while episode 6 of Ms Marvel lifted my spirits after the disappointing Love & Thunder, this trailer didn't have the same effect, the first teaser was better. I'm still hyped for the film though, I reckon Iman Vellani is going to steal the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So i just found out today that the actress that plays the big bad in this Zawe Aston is Tom Hiddleston fiance.

Small world this MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Are you okay?

Where are these man babies? I haven't heard anything negative about this movie in real life, and the trailers seem to be flying now. The comments are very positive. This movie will do very well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The key words there are "real life". But if you spend enough time online you'll find that there is a disportioncate amount of anger, vitriol and hysteria over all things "woke" that tends to drown out the discourse; the hate campaign against Captain Marvel #1 - before it even came out - was so strong that sites like Rotten Tomatoes had to change their code to stop "review bombing" by the aforementioned Perpetually Angry. It's debatable there's a positive trend this time around as a direct response to the prior film's hate campaign.

But yes, I almost never come across anyone in real life who actually get terribly upset about "woke" (insert definition here).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Even today, there are plenty of men in forums, YouTube, and elsewhere who take pot shots at Larson and Captain Marvel either claiming that the film was the worst of that phase, a failure, that she's hated by the rest of the marvel cast, that she's a horrible individual etc etc. They're not coming out of the woodwork yet, but they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Reviews seem pretty mixed...52% and seems to be dropping...

But decent reviews in empire, the Hollywood reporter etc.

I will check it out myself this weekend seen all the other MCU films and the short running time is a plus in my books!

Sigh, I see they are still obsessed with the pink/purple sparkly rubbish

Crept up to 61% on rotten tomatoes now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭santana75

To be fair captain marvel was awful so whatever potshots it took were well merited. Its easy to dismiss the criticism as mysogyny, i just think it was simply a bad movie. Bre larson can act, anyone who's seen "Room" can testify to that but she was ill suited to the role. Emily blunt would've been perfect for it but if it was offered to her at some stage I can understand why she passed.

I'll watch this new movie but my expectations are low considering its predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A non spoiler review, the take is that they have made a kids movie, a good movie for 5-7 year olds ....ooof!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

It's a plodding hodge podge of a film. Would agree on the kids movie aspect mentioned.

Bottom line: it's a poorly made movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not sure if I want to see this.

I find Ian to be often spot on with a lot of stuff like this. I felt the same with the second Dr. Strange film, like I was missing something and that said something wasn't worth the price of a Disney+ subscription.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Light and fun movie - I'd rate it a good bit higher than the original and probably around middle of the post Endgame group.

Can't go into too much of the positives without spoilering. The three characters work well together and Iman Vellani is fantastic, which will be unsurprising to anyone who saw Ms Marvel. She should be one of the stars of the MCU going forward. Felt the fight scenes were great, given their uniqueness and were a smart way to depower Captain Marvel. Comedy was good, though a few did fall flat.

There will be complaints from the usual 'man babies', as described earlier in the thread, who will moan that this is an attack on them simply for a film existing that stars women, especially ones of different races. Having said that, there are plenty of actual flaws. Standard Marvel forgettable villain. The tight run time makes it feel rushed at times, but likely were the right decision. Special effects were hit and miss, mostly hit for me though the giant IMAX screen I saw it in always makes it better than smaller screens.

Feel it is a film that should and deserves to do a lot better that it will, but totally understand why it is tanking, some due to their choices and also elements beyond their control. Believe when people get to watch it on Disney+ later it will be pretty well received, presuming the effects hold up.

For those going to see it, the 'post credit' scenes are a bit strange. There is a scene before the credits which looks like it would have been perfect to slot into the credits yet they have it in the main film and then have only one mid credit scene and none at the end. Makes me think one scene might have been pulled very late given the current reshuffle going on within the MCU. The mid-credit scene is however a big one

though with some incredibly bad CGI. Again, with the look of being thrown together at the last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm just out of it and I reckon this fella was writing his review as he was watching it Ms Marvel and Maria's stories from the Disney Plus Shows are well covered so even though I saw them I don't feel that'd have been lost if I hadn't , think it was a fun movie some things could have been added and taken away that would have made it an even better film , really enjoyed it , look forward to where the characters go next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Fully agree on not needing to see the other shows. Obviously you'd have more background to the characters but you don't miss much.

I'd argue that given some flashbacks that you could even go in without seeing the original Captain Marvel.

I think for many the 'feeling' that they are missing something key is often far, far bigger than anything they are missing out on in reality. This tends coming from people, like that guy from Twitter, who got every reference in the past when they watched everything and it now annoys them that they are experiencing the movie like the majority of the general audience have since day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It is a kids movie and I totally enjoyed it and yes it has flaws however it's one major plus for me is the runtime of just over 90 minutes so those flaws aren't dragged out for 2.5/3 hours.

Now I do think it helped that I had watched both Wandavision & Ms Marvel instead of going into it a cold to have the back story for two of the Marvels however it's not a major issue really if you hadn't seen those series.

The whole Khan family were the stars of it for me Disney/Marvel need to do more with them on Ms Marvel.

I said it before after watching Ms Marvel that Iman Vellani is a star and seeing her on the big screen lighting up every scene she is in just confirms that for me.

And of course the mid credit scene is a huge and major moment for the future of the MCU.

be interesting to see how the numbers will turn out this weekend, I had a quick look on the booking sites of Dundrum and the Point a few minutes before they started (8pm showings) and they only looked 1/6th booked, cant be a good sign as word of mouth isnt going to help the movie?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think this kinda reinforces the flaws with Larsen/Danvers that were highlighted by many in the original film but were wrongly dismissed as just being "misogyny".

She was outshone by both Velani/Kamala and Parris/Rambeau.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭winstonia

Garbage but I wasn't expecting much. First MCU cinema experience. Can't believe they spent $270m on that rubbish. No wonder there was a strike. Joys of a limitless card. Although suppose it's for kids so maybe I'm being harsh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This was quite dull. There was a 10pm showing yesterday at my local Cineworld and I struggled to pay attention or care for most of it. I don't think not seeing any of the Disney+ stuff was the issue. It's very, very formulaic. There's a few laughs and I'm a massive cat person so I had a lot of fun with one or two parts but on the whole this was a very weak film.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The certain knowledge that these films will appear on Disney+ has to also factor into things: they're the least "cinematic" blockbusters around and the flaw of becoming long form cinema almost tangential to TV, is eventually people will simply realise there's no benefit in shelling out money for these things at the movies. Guardians 3 was maybe the last that justified that trip - all else post Endgame? Debatable, no matter how good the respective films are, are they worth €15, €20? It's an equation plaguing all of cinema ATM but it's most pronounced with the biggest game in town.

thats a long way of saying the films are average- at best. The bar has been raised is true though, yet the success of the 2 big summer movies show that if you put out movies that capture the imagination, people will go to the cinema. What Marvel cant do is spend the bones of $300m on a non tent pole film and expect it to be a success, its designed to fail.

• Advertisement

I saw this morning, overall I kind of enjoyed it.

Much better than that awful recent ant-man film and that borderline unwatchable last Thor, but not close to being as good as the last guardians film. I would give it 6 out of 10.

Positives

Iman vellani, she is just terrific in the role, her family dynamic is lovely. The chemistry among the lead trio was excellent. Samuel L Jackson always solid. I like the look of it and the different sets/environments.

The runtime finally something not a massive bloated 2 hour plus runtime.

The villain was solid, Zawe Ashton was grand, not sure why she is getting a bit of a kicking, not a classic but decent.

Negatives

The story was a bit all over the shop, not to spoil anything but the section on the "water" planet was truly awful, like eye rolling bad, brutal. The story was also very simple really.

The cats/kitten Flerkens loved them ha ha. Post credit...actual X-Men (well one or two?)! That was definitely Kelsey Grammers voice.

Ms Marvel and Kate Bishop team up I am guessing setting up some kind of junior avengers type show? Will happily watch.

Advertisement