Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I still wear mine if going into a shop as my immune system is fecked

I have to ask, did you wear a mask in the years BC (before covid) or is the immunocompromised condition recent, i.e. started after covid and the rules.

The reason I ask is that the multitude of viruses that can make you ill now, were also around before covid as well and equally as dangerious to you now as they were four years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭nachouser

Just wondering why that was deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭nachouser

There's a bit of a gap between 3:38 pm and now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,049 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Vast majority of people everywhere including in hospitals are not wearing masks anymore .

Many of those now wearing them are those living with immunocompromise or people who are or are unwell themselves .

So why do some people STILL have to comment or have an issue with that ?

Masks in general are gone since March last year and there are still people complaining about people who wear masks.

It really is no longer anybody else's business .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,262 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Last time I wore a mask was to the optician a few weeks ago and she basically said take it off.

I can't remember remember the last time I saw somebody wearing one.

People will comment on stuff tbh.

Take this Covid forum.

If one poster stopped posting here and nobody replied to them. It would essentially die away.

Bit like the Christmas thread in February at this stage ! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Lets dig a little deeper....what is your point? I think you are trying to infer that because the guy did not wear a mask pre-pandemic that they should not be wearing one post-pandemic? is that it? So people should never change their behavior?

The fact that masks reduce the risk of transmission seems irrelevant to you, you just want them to go away.

Fair-play to that poster for changing their behavior, better informed now than they were pre-pandemic, and possibly healthier outcomes as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I was in James today and didn't notice anyone wearing a mask

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

hotmail.com threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

I have had really bad hayfever last few days

Wonder would wearing a mask when outside resolve the issue, they work for a virus, surely work for pollen too?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'd suggest asking on the long term health forum to see if anyone has tried it out.

The below article suggests it could help but it would be best discussed on that forum:

https://www.uclahealth.org/news/seasonal-allergies-wear-your-face-mask-for-relief

This is the forum link:

https://www.boards.ie/categories/long-term-illness

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Out of curiosity i wonder if something like Vicks First Defence which stops a sore throat develop further .

I know you can take pills to help against pollen and if you want to try a mask to see if it helps.

Yes . They would according to Allergy UK .

How face masks can limit exposure to pollen | Allergy UK | National Charity

But as pollen particles are much larger than virus particles anything including a scarf would work .

Be with a try I suppose if you have some left over .

My daughter is tormented by hayfever and allergies, and is finding it bad this year. She has found using a mask outside does help.

We also have air purifiers in the house, and in the bedrooms, they're brilliant for allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I wear a face mask because i live with an older relative who is particularly vulnerable to the virus, so far wearing a mask has kept me safe although there was bit of an incident this morning. I was just walking down the street and a woman with a german accent yells, take your mask off here as she cycles past.

I may have got the odd funny look at times, but this was the first time i was verbally abused in the street by someone. Peoples words don't bother me at all, but i'm now starting to fear that wearing a face mask in public could end up with me getting assaulted. Everyone has their own views, but i don't think anyone has any right to tell me what i can and can't wear on a public street.

Post edited by Straight Talker on

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

My daughter falls in the very high risk category due to a heart problem and autoimmune illness, was minding her own business browsing in a shop when an idiot walked right up to her, leaned in close and deliberately coughed into her face, while laughing, and calling her a "fool". It left her very shaken.

And me ready to commit murder.

Jeez. There are some major axxe hxxes out there, Loueze !

Why can't be people be mature enough to just move on ?

That , to be honest, is bordering on assault .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

And a completely dishonest one too ..

Nothing remotely comparable between the 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭beastfromtheEast

Many people who were unable to wear masks faced abuse.

Mask wearing was a health guideline and it was in clear English on the HSE website that certain people with breathing problems should not wear them.

I hate the sight of masks now and I will not engage with anybody wearing one.

I disagree with people getting abuse for their own personal choices and I agree people should mind their own business.

The mask mandates brought out the worst in people who could not mind their own business and by wearing one now I would suggest it's like a red rag to a bull for some people now.

Like I said people facing abuse for their own personal choices is totally wrong and I would never engage in it nor with I have any time for people that do.

Having said that I would not be rushing to anybodies defence who was wearing a mask either there is an element of karma here.

• Advertisement

I agree with this post but I would also like to add many people could not wear masks for various medical reasons the amount of an abuse and disrespect dished out was off the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Git Covid in August- meh for 2 days- that was it- delighted to have gotten it as some nice boosted resistance now as we come into the winter months- don’t give masks or large crowds a second thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

You can get again in as little as 4 weeks, so it doesn't give much immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

AFAIK the only medical reason why someone can't wear a mask is a skin condition, which is quite a rare occurrence.

There are some non medical conditions such as people thinking they have trouble breathing or can't communicate as well, but again, they're few and far between.

If it's a red rag to a bull then that's their problem not mine. I as a citizen of this country have every right to wear one.

There's no law stopping me from wearing one either. I'll do what's best for me and my loved ones, and anyone who wants to cast judgement on me for that can go and take a running jump!

I never told anyone to wear a mask either. The anti maskers were bleating about freedom and the right to choose. So why don't those same people respect my right to have the choice to wear a mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's it, wear one or not.

Your choice.

Go out to the airport any day and look around you.

You will see people wearing masks

That person seemed to imply that he/she took offence to mask wearers. I don't see how someone wearing a mask should bother another person. On public transport wearing a mask is a no brainer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And you would think if a person with had health issues such that they struggle breathing \ exerting themselves with a mask, all the more reason for people around them to be masked up and if anything a bit of gratitude might even be in order.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

corcaigh07 threadbanned

• Advertisement

I said it was like a red rag to a bull to some people however not me.

My two cents is everybody should mind their own business if people want to wear a mask fine for people who did not wear masks it was also none of anybodies business and terms like anti maskers are very divisive.

I have a relative with C.O.P.D and a nephew on the spectrum neither of them could wear masks and each faced abuse.

The conditions these and many other people have are NONE of anybodies business and you're post seems a bit rich calling other people anti maskers if everybody had minded their own business all would be fine now.

Morons who cannot mind their own business out in public giving abuse to mask wearers I do not agree with not even for a second.

People have invisible conditions and disabilities from firsthand experience I seen these people got zero respect.

I like to think I am a fair minded and while I totally agree with you that you have every right to wear a mask in public equally so people were not required by law to wear masks it was a health guideline with advice that some people should not wear them.

I also do not agree with some of the looney protesters back during Covid but the overzealous way many others carried on about masks gave these people ammunition.

Correct me if I am wrong as I cannot read anybodies mind from a forum post but it seems people were just fine when abuse went one way but cry foul when it goes the other way.

I am of the view in was nobodies business who was wearing a mask or not before during or after Covid.

Most people including myself wore them and followed the guidelines a few people who did not was none of my business some people were just being a**holes and some were very genuine.

An elderly man requiring oxygen support and a teen who appears totally normal faced abuse which I witnessed.

A well known fast food place ordered my nephew out I told the female manager that he had an exemption which she said she did not believe.

I lost my temper at this woman who was breaking the law nobody was required to summit their medical data in public and nobody had the right to ask not even the Guards.

I told the woman if anybody laid one hand on my nephew I would respond forcefully and the Guards would be called and she better serve our food.

The woman appeared shaken and I have never bullied anybody in my life I was just asserting my right to defend my nephew who could not speak up for himself.

What this woman never relised was she was the person totally in the wrong in this situation she was unaware of the law and she was rude and aggressive.

The correct way was to politely remind people of the mask GUIDELINES and the instant somebody mentioned an exemption that should have been the end of the matter.

Some people took the p* ** but that was no reason for some people to go full Nazi and get aggressive people had no idea what invisible disabilities and conditions people may of had just like this stupid woman.

Sorry for the long winded post and while I agree you are within your rights to either wear a mask or not and NOBODY has the right to pass comments or direct abuse at you I do find it a little difficult to offer you much sympathy either.

I like to keep my head down and avoid arguments in public you never know what's going on in somebodies life.

Road rage people getting annoyed in queues it's not worth it and you never know the other person might be having the worst day of their life.

Covid is a time when the country kind of lost it's mind and I agree the mask GUIDELINE was a good idea and MOST people complied that should have been enough.

I hope when some people look back at their behaviour during the pandemic they feel some shame.

Lastly people picked on the easy targets how many of the people who went into mask nazi mode attended house parties?

How many people dared to knock on the doors of these house parties and scream at the people for breaking the health guidelines?

I believe when anybody is sick they should wear a mask out of courtesy for the people around them even a cold or a flu can be deadly to the old or the immune compromised yet after COVID people who screamed about the masks go into work sick and without a mask.

However I am not going to sick my nose in and tell people what they should do if somebody is sick I avoid them not for myself but for the vunerable people in my life.

I am not trying to bash anybody with this post rather I hope people can use the last few years as a learning experience and use a bit of common sense and be a bit nicer to each other.

Everything seems to be gone back to normal now and I have got that off my chest I think we should all put the last few years behind us.

Advertisement