Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ottolwinner

We can close the thread now that answers my original question

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Embarrassing to even compare the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Refs fault I expect. Rugby fans are as good at blaming officials as any other supporters on Twitter and the like.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I used to be into rugby 20 years ago but not arsed with it now (and don't support Ireland anyway). I had a brief look through the rugby forum here during this tournament, during a match it's 90% complaining about referee decisions from the fúcking armchair experts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ottolwinner

hmm no do think so. More embarrassing to associate with Ted Bundy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No.

Charlton brought the national team to the international stage.

Farrell managed the rugby team to their mandatory underachieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We are all Mayo people now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I’m not looking forward to hearing about them crying about it for the next four years, just like after every World Cup and O’Driscoll’s infamous spear tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

In the most literal sense.

That Irish side played it their own heads against New Zealand, they weren't at it at all and in any other setting than a World Cup quarter final they would have won the game reasonably comfortably.

Vast swathes of that second half reminded me of watching the English National soccer team take part in a penalty shootout in the finals of a major championship, there was no belief they could overcome the situation and mistakes that would never usually occur were arriving in bunches.

Some sports sides have those hurdles they can't overcome like Mayo's inability to win an all Ireland final. It can cross from one generation to another as seems to be the case with Ireland is Rugby World Cups, this far and no further.

As to the question posed by the OP; No one will get to the level of social impact that was seen with Jack Charlton again, that was very much a lightning in a bottle scenario. Andy Farrell has done a good job, Giovanni Trapattoni did a good job with what was available to him to an extent also Martin O'Neill given they both got to European Championships, but the first cut is the deepest.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

I don't understand how they lost.....did they not play like brothers? I thought they wouldn't regret it if they kept on turning up?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd still say Farrell is a great coach btw. It looks like the team failed to produce their absolute best for their own reasons (lots of self inflicted mistakes) and it wasn't on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The New Zealand defence was really really good. I can't understand the mindset of someone who is happy about seeing their fellow Irish person disappointed. What motivates these people? Schadenfreude is a really terrible basis in which to build your life.

I think the Irish played their best and were beaten. That's sport. Farrell has done a great job and I certainly give him credit.

If anyone looks at that fellow Irish person and is happy that the team lost tonight, they need to look at themselves. Being driven by hate makes them unpleasant people.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Compare the performance of the rugby team tonight who took one of the strongest teams in the world to the wire in a titanic contest where they just came up short, but left everything on the pitch to the performance of the soccer team the night before who got hammered by Greece and looked as if they were reluctant even to turn up.

Which side are you prouder of?

Also, look to the young players coming through: the Irish rugby Under 20s won a Grand Slam (again) last season and many of them will soon start to appear in the senior team to replace those who will inevitably move on after this world cup.

Prospects for rugby are a lot brighter than for our soccer team, the talent production line for which we generally outsource to Britain and then get upset when those players of Irish ancestry who are good enough to make the English team choose to do so.

Give me Irish rugby people over soccer types ANY day.

(And I hope they keep Farrell on. He's done and is doing a great job)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

U20 also got to the World Cup final. Lost to a better France team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The World Cup is on in France, not in Ireland. Not sure why you ned to see bunting?

Anyway they lost, it will keep the usuals happy while they make excuses for the FAI

Im sure the next time they win a game or a 6 nations we will have a similar thread to complain about rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭riddles

The challenge for Farrell was to get to a world cup quarter final and ensure the component parts worked and that didn't happen. Therefore the WC is a failure in terms of the goal. Farrell has on that journey built the best ever Irish team who have played Ireland's best ever rugby. He is also a gentleman and deserves all the credit he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Never heard of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Why, are Irish rugby supporters a better class of people?

Well, the poster didn't mention class, you did. They said "Give me Irish rugby people over soccer types ANY day".

While I don't necessarily share the sentiment, I do think it's interesting to see the actual rugby fans being generally very proud of the team in defeat, and accept they were beaten by a great performance by a great team. They acknowledge that the team gave it everything they had and lost because, that's sport. That shows good character

The ones who don't like rugby are the most critical of the team, calling them bottlers and enjoying rugby fans' disappointment. I think that shows poor character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭yagan

That's a bit classist, don't you think?

Attitudes like would make people think rugby is predominantly a sport for certain people.

Oh rugby isn't for everyone. As I outlined above, rugby fans can generally acknowledge a great effort by Ireland and also acknowledge they were beaten fair and square. They can be disappointed but still admire the team because they did their best and did themselves proud. Those opposed to rugby don't seem to have the same graciousness in defeat, and they don't even like the sport.

Rugby doesnt need to have a broad and shallow fan base. It is much better off with a selective fan base of good character. So it's probably a fair observation by you that rugby isn't for everyone.

Well people packed Dublin City centre after we got knocked out of Italia 90. Did you think people didn't welcome the squad home?

The only thing I note from this thread is that some rugby fans think they're different from other sports fans. That attitude does set them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

If you want to know the reason some people wanted Ireland to lose tonight here it is.

People who use the phrase 'Rugby People' when comparing themselves to others(those they are unquestionably superior to), tend to be smug, self-satisfied, condescending **** who have never set foot outside their own arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I don’t think that’s the case at all.

The Irish soccer team has always received criticism even when they were going well and got beaten by far better sides.

In comparison the rugby team gets a considerably easier ride by the media.

More often than not when the rugby team loses they are portrayed as heroic warriors who have just come up short.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

I was at the Greece game and I stood to attention and faced the tricolour as I proudly sang the anthem of our country. I watched Irish men and the sons and grandsons of Irishmen play for their country, these men have NO CONTRACTUAL obligation to do so. Every rugby player on the field is under contract to the irfu so they have two options, play or be fired

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Think it's a silly comparison. Getting to a final in a rugby world cup is about as good an achievement as qualification for a major tournament in football. New Zealand have the pedigree and tradition and it was always going to be a big ask but they weren't far off it, they did a fantastic job and it's great to see an Irish team of any sport take on the worlds best on equal terms.

Football in Ireland overachieved for a long time, we should expect a draw or win against Greece to be a big ask. The granny rule will bring in less and less as the disporia shrinks.

That's pretty much it, very succinctly put.

The Ice hockey world cup happened a few months ago and I don't think it made one single headline anywhere in the Irish media, yet ask a Canadian, Estonian, Czech person and they'll tell you all about it, but chances are they might be as clueless about the RWC as we are about the Ice Hockey WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You've really twisted yourself in knots about this if you are wondering why no bunting in Dublin is part of the conversation.

It's a moot point now with Ireland out but I'll explain it to you anyway.

In order for Farrell to get the same adoration as Charlton you would need the whole country to buy into this RWC the same way as the whole country bought into Italia 90.

One sign of this buy-in is the amount of flags and paraphernalia that are displayed in public, on houses or businesses.

That paraphernalia was very much in evidence during Italia 90, Euro 88, Euro 2016 etc, but from my observations it's very much absent in this RWC.

And I'll go as far as to say that if the Republic of Ireland soccer team make another major tournament you will see greater displays of paraphernalia than you see during this RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭griffin100

Go to a soccer match at any level and then a rugby one and tell me what you think.

Advertisement