Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options
  • 07-10-2023 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Not sure it’s a pure rugby question, more a national pride question. What are the opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

If he wins a world cup yes

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭17togo

For getting to quarter finals in a tournament played at an elite level by a handful of teams?

Rugby fans will no doubt talk of him as the second coming of Christ.

Personally I think it won't compare to what Jack and that Irish team did for the country.

But I hate Rugby and everything that comes with it and will enjoy it if they lose, so probably not the right person to be responding to this. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jack was Ireland manager for 10 years, Farrell about 4 years in charge of Ireland.

Jack managed a team in a sport multiples more competitive…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Xander10

He is a legend to me anyway.

Not bothered what non-rugby people think

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ottolwinner

I’m not a massive rugby fan and never played it but curious why you hate it so much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

Ironically there were more Irishmen in jack's team than Andy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

No for becoming a father at 16. Surely that makes him the ultimate lad?😝

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The big difference is we went into this world cup as 1 of the favourites. We are expected to do well. Anything short of of a semi final would be deemed as a failure (with the caveat the draw was a farce). Italia 90 just qualifying was a success story making the quarters was a massive bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

If the new feckin Boards allowed me to multi-quote, this post would make more sense.

Speaking as a rugby fan, no. He will not get Jack Charlton status, because, football is universal, its so simple that you can play it anywhere, with anything. I remember playing "football" in the small concrete square outide the school using a crushed coke can as a ball.

I agree with 17togo, Jack Charlton did something for the country when it needed something. He brought hope after years of hopelessness.

Things are tough at the moment in ireland, rising living costs, but plenty of jobs around. Yes accomodation is bat-shyte crazy but life is manageable. From what Ive been told of the 80's there was no hope of anything good happening, and Jack, brought something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

no.his team loses to new zealand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

From what Ive been told of the 80's there was no hope of anything good happening,

As Oliver Callan or somebody said, "All we had was Maurice Pratt, Pat the Baker and Philomena Begley"

Versus what like, a sport played by no elite teams in the country

Or a sport with no international outlet

I was 6 when Italia 90 happened. I just remember it being a thoroughly boring time. The TV was permanently on the soccer channel. The adults were getting lubed up(drink wise), before, during and after, and there was nothing else to do. I watch a game now and it flies along, but when you are 6, 90 minutes seem interminable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

No song yet so. Were all part of Jackie's army.

Post edited by Mr. teddywinkles on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Italia 90 was a party just to be at the competition. And summertime and much more frequent matches etc. Lots more variety of countries involved. Was a real novelty.

The rugby team have to win this one or people will be disappointed. Totally different experience and pressure. It's like the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭17togo

I actually find it hard to put a finger on why I actually dislike it so much now. I used to like it growing up and into the early noughties. I used to love Simon geoghegan and everyone loved Jonah lomu.

Nowadays, it's the over the top media attention. They've been more hyped by the English football team over the years. And we used all complain and laugh at the English hype and then revel in them crashing and burning.

It's the lingo and the fans, fans that seem to be experts in the "gain line" and rucks and off loads (a pass 🙄) but wouldn't watch proper club rugby if you paid them.

It's the residency rule. It's the general poshness of it. And the pass the players get from the Media. A few years ago a certain Irish player pissed on a guy in a bar in dublin, **** all was said. Imagine if once of the soccer team did that. But because he was one of our hero goys, he got a pass in the media.

It's Neil Frances and his sport of the people remark! Just the general elitist pedestal it's put on!

And Johnny Sexton, my god he seems like such a wanker.

Was having this same discussion with a friend from home recently and he said I'm listening to those Leinster D4 lads too long. He might be right. 😁

Turns out I could put a finger on it afterall! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ottolwinner

I think your last line was the response I was going to give your post but self correction is always good.

yea I totally get ya. I’m not a massive fan but I suppose all those things that annoy you pass me by I don’t even pay heed to.

I was more thinking if the Irish Team win the tournament will Andy Farrell be revered by the Irish public. Rugby seems to draw great divides as much as it seems to draw unity

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Type your comment

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It was a draw. Didn't win a single match in '90

• Advertisement

You dislike the armchair fans, the over the top media attention, nowadays aka the media. You dislike the elitism - I dont get why trying to be the best is a bad thing, but ok. Johnny Sexton is Rugby's answer to Roy Keane. Top of his class and can be a prick when he wants to be. I think you'll find that in all sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A

I'd argue that football is played at an elite level by a handful of teams.

Brazil

Germany

Argentina

France

Italy

Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If we get to a final then yes. Only about ten countries are good at rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Too funny. Nothing to add, but this did make me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

You are not comparing like with like.

The Ireland rugby team supporters have a superiority complex with expectations of winning the tournament with good players.

The Ireland football team of that era had an infreiority complex despite good players.

We hadn't a hope of winning in football but every win was a success.

Irish Rugby is at peak world class currently. Expectations are much higher so Andy Farrell will never achieve cult status.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Rugby is still a little bit too niche. Has not got the wide spread appeal of soccer. Also times have changed since Big Jack's era, there was bugger all else to follow/watch back then

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭GSBellew

He won't but he should, I'm not a Rugby fan, but I have been watching the games, it is great to see an Irish team being successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Possibly, but it's much harder for a small country like Ireland to get to and go deep in a soccer world cup than it is for the rugby team.

There is a massive drop off after the top 8 or so in rugby that doesn't exist in soccer.

Its maybe not politically correct to say this but GAA has an impact too. In Spain, Italy, Brazil, etc there is one sport* - football. As a small country our elite sports people are divided between Gaelic Football, Football, Hurling, and Rugby.

*Yes, I know they have other sports in those countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Advertisement