Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭17togo

I did feel for the players too afterwards. Even seeing Sexton with his young lad at the end tweaked at my old frayed heart strings.

The enjoyment comes from listening to bandwagoners trying to blame the ref for the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Not a chance , until the kids in ballyer & similar neighborhoods start playing rugby ! It's only outside of Dublin that working class kids play rugby , particularly limerick !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Bollocks. Teams in Clondalkin, Tallaght, Ballymun. Typical uniformed shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Only recently , and unless it's all the protestant ascendancy schools & well healed Catholic fee paying Dublin schools ! How many kids from those neighborhoods you just rattled off are playing for underage Ireland! Yeah bollocks !

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Unflushable Turd

and how many of those teams are sending kids off to play for Ireland?

Irish rugby is essentially about Leinster and Leinster rugby is essentially about the Senior cup, which is essentially a few posh schools playing for their schools ego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I've always found rugby clubs inclusive welcoming places for everyone when I was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If only there were clubs in Clondalkin , Tallaght and Crumlin .

Just imagine if there was a city centre Rugby Club or if there was one in Ballyfermot called the Ballyfermot Bears formed in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,250 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah, but to be fair, those teams are under the impression that they are playing the soccerball.

It just so happens that their regular tactics when playing that would involve rugby-like tackles and pile-ups that look like scrums anyway. So they are just in blissful ignorance at the minute.

If someone told them that they are actually playing rugby they'd stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Many are and IRFU are going into schools but we could do more to get more clubs and more clubs fielding underage teams to allow kids play

It isnt only outside Dublin working class play rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭yagan

I'm am completely lost with this class reference stuff.

I understand the attachment to certain schools that were private before national funding for education, but it's not like certain tennis and golf clubs in Dublin would not admit a trades person, regardless of their how well off they were.

As far I've seen rugby has been open to all to join. I did go out for a tryout once but the lad who went out on the field before me lasted five minutes before being hospitalized. I passed on rugby that day.

Brutal sport, great spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

No .... No he wont be ...

Cos he and his team choked a World Cup ....

Charlton took a ramshackle team of players playing long ball football to a 1/4 final and lost...

Farrell took 'the best team in the world ' to a 1/4 final and lost....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not that I'm a fan of the man, but judged purely on sporting achievements, Billy Bingham took N Ireland into the 1982 world cup second group stages, from a much smaller population pool relatively speaking.

That's more impressive than Charlton's achievements with the Republic squad which had players like McGrath, Whelan, Houghton, Aldridge, Staunton from the top English teams and solid regulars in the First Division (Sheedy, Townsend) and with Celtic.

Just lobbing that in there...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Billy was a bit of a prick though whereas Jack was much more likeable.

Jack could be too but he also knew how to win over an audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's really about the makeup of the national team.

Going to one of the traditional fee paying rugby schools really enhances your chances of making it to professional rugby and the national team.

And that makes sense because for over a century they have been producing players and have all the coaching etc to still do so.

So some kid from a working class area who plays for Tallagh, or Ballyfermot is not going to get the same opportunity to become a professional or play for Ireland as some kid that can afford to go to one of the traditional fee paying rugby schools.

Same goes for the Dorris guy, he'd not be playing for Ireland if he stayed in Mayo and didn't go to school in Blackrock.

Obviously there are a few exceptions and I'm sure the rugby heads will be around soon to mention them, but they are just the exceptions.

I think also in limerick it was a barracks sport so participation was more spread. Cricket was similar, Kilkenny alone had over forty clubs but they switched bat for hurley later than other counties which is probably why Gaelic football is so overlooked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

No, maybe if we won it all then he would be but that's not the case. Gutted for them though even if I'm not a rugby fan. I do however always tune into the WC. I'll watch them again in another 4 years ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,080 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

id disagree.

Charlton : 1 european championship, 2 World Cups - quarter final, last 16 including beating the mighty Italians in stifling heat…with Baggio, Baresi, Maldini etc…who only lost the final on penalties to the mighty Brazil… that spine of that Italian team were the AC Milan lads that won the European Cup… the aforementioned plus Costacurta, Donadoni, Albertini, Massaro…. That was one of the greatest club sides ever.

Charlton certainly had greater players than Bingham but to qualify for 3 tournaments out of 4 after Ireland having never darkened the doorway of a major international tournament…. Charlton and his team achieved way more….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I don't think he will.

• Advertisement

Sorry yeah fair points - I should have emphasised more that I meant sporting achievements relative to resources. Charlton achieved more but with more.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oddly enough Kilkenny did win 3 Leinster championships in football, the last in 1911.

I remember that from a book by Paul Rouse about the history of the GAA. It kind of stuck out that they were quite good at Gaelic and held a few high profile football fixtures there too. As you say hurling just took over from the 20s on.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ireland at the World Cup 'fiasco'? Losing a 50/50 game by a score. The comparison is ridiculous.

Italia 90 has become a kin to the GPO in 1916 in terms of exaggeration on forums like this. Because most on here were children or teenagers then it's full of nostalgia.

We did well to come back and draw v England in Calgary. We were atrocious v Egypt. Your talk of us having a journey man team is untrue. They were all old Division 1, Morris Celtic and Aldridge Real Sociedad. All the old Irish respected pros like Giles etc thought we were playing dirt. Between the Egypt and Dutch game there was a lot of criticism of our play.

We got a lucky breaking ball off the keeper to level v the Dutch. Romania were the better team in general play in the round of 16. They had a goalie that looked like he had the DTs. It was probably the poorest World Cup of all time.

There's a lot of talk about rugby being hyped by the media. Soccer is 10 times worse. During Covid we had Euro 1988 night, World Cup 1990, 1994 and 2002 night on RTE 2! In February 1995 RTE did a promo of the Ireland v England friendly going through Battles between us including the Yellow Ford, 9 years war victory in 1598! You can't have it both ways. Soccer was hyped to the hilt 1988-2002.

And as for Farrell losing a 50/50 game being incomparable with Jack. Jack got the ball rolling because a Scot scored against the run of play in Sofia in November 1987. A lucky general. Eoin Hand had some serious reffing decisions go against his Ireland and was unlucky to lose out on goal difference.

Choked a World Cup with 4 equal favourites, one of them playing at home!

I think I read that back in that time the county champions would go on to represent Kilkenny in the all Ireland, but nearly all Kilkenny football teams came from the south west county border with tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Knocked out in the 1/4s in a tournament they were expected to win, where Argentina made it to the semis. It was a complete wash-out, Ireland bottled it.

They weren't expected to win. There were 4 equal favourites. You don't know the definition of bottling.

#BeKind

When Ireland went to this tournament expecting to win it and they couldn’t make it past the quarters when Argentina, of all countries, did… I’m sorry but that makes Ireland hall of fame bottlers. The Greatest (bottlers) of All Time. 🐐

Hopefully next time they’ll win the coveted Semi-Final Participation Trophy they have been clamouring for.

Disingenuous arguing. A lot of teams go out to win it. You know right well Argentina were on the weak side of the draw, evidenced by the thrashing New Zealand gave them.

• Advertisement

Oh the “weak side of the draw?” Honestly that’s a fairly pathetic defence for a team that was hoping to win it, or make the last four.

If they really were the best in the world, worthy World Cup wonders or semi-finalists, then they should just beat whoever is in front of them instead of cribbing about weak draws or seeds or whatever.

The fact is that they were the favourites, or at least one of the four favourites, and they didn’t make it past the final eight. They bottled it on the big stage when it really mattered. Typical Irish heroic failures stuff.

Advertisement