Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It is not zero sum - this has been explained to you many times over on this thread alone.

Rentals house more people per unit than an owner occupied house. So landlords selling up and leaving the market means more people are made homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I dont see how it could be zero sum myself. Suppose it depends what way you want to filter your view of the situation to suit your own story.

My filter tells me that 1 property housed 7 people. By the time we all find new places, which will hopefully be sooner rather than later. It will then be 4 other properties housing those same 7 people. One property back on the market. Four taken off the market. To do the same job of housing 7 people. Well technically at the moment its looking like it will take so long that there will be one baby extra and one wife extra by the time.

Maybe that house being sold will again house 7 people, but I doubt it. No landlord would buy it now. He was renting it to us as a favor for €200 per month per person because he wanted to help us out. Now im guessing the rent will be stuck at that as its in an RPZ and no way to increase the rent for a new buyer if they wanted to rent it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

How is it not necessarily? where does the property go then? If there is a house that has 7/8 bedrooms then someone who needs those rooms will buy it and do their best to fill them. If the house that has 7/8 people in 2/3 rooms then its not fit for purpose to begin with. Your getting very specific. If a rental property kicks out its tenants they would be foolish not to rent it out again or to sell they would be losing money. If that is the case then a vacant property tax should be slapped on it at a rate that would discourage this practice but usually (it may take time) the property is sold and is either lived in or rented. So one property out of the rental pool and one property either back into the rental pool or pool for buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Not everyone who buys a property comes from the rental market. Anyone who lives at home with parents, people arriving from abroad, people moving out of homeless accommodation into social housing. That's just 3 examples off the top of my head of people who might buy off a landlord who won't be coming from the rental market.

As has been pointed out owner occupied properties have lower levels of occupancy compared to rented. Landlords value income where as once an owner occupier can finance the mortgage they value comfort and don't want their house full of random house mates.

Agreed I never said they will come from the rental market. But do you think that these 7/8 people will live together in perpetuity if not then we need to look at the system and look at the pool of properties available? The fact is if it is a 7 bed house more than likely the buyer will have a need for 7 beds? The fact is its 1 property coming off the rental side and 1 property going back into the rental side or someone is buying it as they have a need like a big family or their parents moving in. Why would you buy a 7 bed gaff if you had no need for it? It may happen but I reckon this would be against the grain especially as prices for 7 beds are a lot more expensive. Also people on here are talking about houses that may have 3/4 rooms rented out so 4 people sharing why in your examples are you not including things like a family of 6 buying it and in this case more people are being housed - people are picking figures to suit the narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

if the owners move back into the house, 7 or 8 renters have been tipped out of the property and the 2 people moving in dont live in ireland anyway.

So as far as todays resident population is concerned, 7 or 8 people have been evicted and the house they left has disappeared.

Dissapeared in that it no longer houses anyone currently resident in the country.

Is there evidence that its only 2 people moving in? Is there any evidence that they wont be selling or re-renting? I mean not for nothing but a good way to get over the whole rental cap is to have a room yourself and rent the rooms individually you can charge more than the caps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

You haven't addressed my point about people living a home, coming from abroad, moving out of homeless accommodation. None of these groups are part of the current rental market. So if they buy a house from a landlord there are no housing spaces being freed up. This refutes your point that landlords selling is 0 sum game.

Even in the existing rental market you have a lot of house shares. Say you have 4 people sharing a house. One person moves out and buys a 2 bed sold by a landlord. Let's say this 2 bed held a family (2 adults plus 2 kids). In this situation the number of housing spots is down at least 2(assuming you count a couple as 1).

Even if you replace the single person with a couple until the couple have children the number housed in the 2 bed won't come back up for a few years until the couple have kids. Either way none of this helps the family that are now potentially homeless.

The fact is owner occupied housing had lower levels of occupancy compared to rented accommodation. That's a well established fact.

The homeless accommodation has been freed up. Once again your getting very specific like to counter your analogy what if 4 people move out of the house share and one has enough to buy the 2 bed and all 4 move in and why are you seeing a couple as 1 that's just barmy I suppose if they have 8 kids its still only 1?? a couple is 2 ? and we have a lack of property for buying, renting and for homeless I have never argued otherwise. I am arguing the specific if a house is taken off the rental side as in the tenants are turfed out there is no way of knowing if more or less or the same amount of people are being housed in the house in question afterwards. In some cases it will be more in some it will be less and in some it will remain the same. Another scenario is if a house goes from being an owner occupier to full rental and they decide to slap 10 families in there?

Look the way the system is not helping anyone I completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

You do realise 7 is higher than 2 right? Even if the above only happened 100 times that's a loss of 500 bed spaces from the rental market.

• Advertisement

I am talking of all properties not just specific example if the opposite was to happen where someone had a 2 bed and decided to rent it to a large family say 7+ people then there is a gain of the same numbers? You only have to look at primetime to see that this is happening in a large scale here.

So there is no one in there now? If that is the case then their should be an empty property tax on it

No, there is a couple still in it and they are overholding.

The owner cant get them out.

Its all in the Posters description of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

Well if you have watched primetime there are dozens of people being chucked into the same room so not for nothing but they are both happening. what is also missing is there will be a % of people not showing up anywhere in the stats and there are some landlords who will have a place with say 2/3/4 rooms and will have nothing but bunkbeds in them and you can be sure as sh1t the landlord is not making this known.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Anyone holding long Bonds made a big bet that rates would fall with either interest rate cuts or QE. That’s one big bet when rates were on the floor. To put it simple terms it’s the equivalent of mortgaging your house and then putting all the money on a bet that Uruguay would beat the all blacks tonight.

The only exception is people holding long bonds for regulatory purposes where they are required to do so. And if they haven’t hedged the interest rate risk then they deserve to be burned because yet again the made a big risky bet that rates wouldn’t rise and thought they could save by not paying for the hedge. Yet again in layman terms the equivalent of buying a new boat and not insuring it despite the weather forecast predicting a storm.

The last point and probably the most important when comparing it to the impact of the GFC is who owns most of long bonds in circulation and how will any losses they have impact the real economy.

Seeing as we just undertook the largest QE ever seen where central banks bought long bonds in exchange for cash/call money. It s safe to say that central banks will take the biggest hit which will never make its way into the real economy. So comparing to shareholders losses in the GFC is pointless and is nothing more than click bat.

Not to sure if this is just you saying this or if something David McWilliams is using to increase viewers so he can get paid advertising. Let’s not forget that this is the so called expert that advised the government to right a blank cheque to the banks and made the whole mess 1m times worse as it created runs on banks in other countries as they piled into Irish banks thanks to this blank cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭I see sheep

My heart bleeds for this guy who kicked a pregnant woman (who's been paying his rent in Canada for years) out of her house.

He didnt kick a pregnant woman out of his house. He is getting married, living his new life in his new country and is selling his assets in Ireland so that he can get on with his new life with his new wife.

We were all renting and got more than the required notice. We dont blame him for wanting to get on with his own life at all. Its not his fault that he has to sell his house in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Good for him hope he has a great life in Canada.

Being a landlord is a way to make money and like any other way it's not without ups & downs, everyone knows that going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

AIB August Property Report has a different tune than before:

"The last time prices fell for this length of time was late 2011"

"Looking ahead, the rising interest rates environment will likely continue to act as a headwind to homebuyer activity and exert some further downward pressure on prices"

The report states that we need 30,000 units per year of new homes that we are meeting. I thought that went up? They do say that there is a backlog and that's why it isn't enough right now.

Going to be some car crash when interest rates start coming down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Of course he is a typical vulture LL. He had emigrated and was probably unsure if he would stay abroad and make his new life there so he rented his house to a group of people he knew.

From the look of it he rented it at about 50% of the market value. Of course there was no blame on the idiot and his gf that got pregnant in shared accommodation. If he had not decided to sell that couple would have to move out anyway as shared accommodation is unsuitable for a family.

He also gave them substantial notice it seems. As everything in the private rental sector no good deed goes unpunished. Your post shows your lack of understanding and is a completely blind attitude as well it the reason LL leave the sector

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I think 30k does not count the supply needed to make up on previous years of shortfall.

Something like 50k is needed to meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I would say that scenario is comparatively rare in practice.

As someone who is looking at houses for the last while im seeing a lot of similar properties. ex rentals and even some with tenants still in them.

I dont think its rare at all. Clearly a lot of rentals are being sold around where im looking anyway. The EA even told me for one viewing I was trying to arrange that the vendor had just put it on the market to get some bids in but they were probably going to sell to the council in the end as the tenants didnt want to move out. Practically told me I was wasting my time going to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Well at least the tenants get to keep their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ten years ago it was not unusual for a couple to rent a two bed apartment/ house before moving into buy. Nowadays they rent one bed apartment. If a one bed is sold it's a single person moving in there virtually never a couple.

If a two bed is sold it's a single person or a couple who are not planning on having children. Most two beds are now rented to small families units, couple with 1-2 children or a lone parent with two children.

In 90% of situation's where a LL sells if the house goes to an owner occupier the residential footprint number will drop by 40-50% on average.

As well all my children rented at some stage in every house they were in every bed room was occupied. There was never more than two common rooms ( kitchen and sitting rooms) if there was a third common room or a home office it was used as a bed room. It was the same 40 years ago when I rented except double bed room where two single beds fitted were shared

These situations are very common

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭timmyntc

+1

Every rental I've ever lived in had 0 spare rooms. When renting, leaving a room empty costs you money, almost always look for someone to fill. And on top of that, privately rented student homes typically had 2 beds in most bedrooms - when landlords sell a student rental the occupancy rates plummet in comparison

Advertisement