Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I still gasp when I see the price of a slab in the local shops now lol, it's a murderous increase compared to previous specials, most wouldn't have had any idea how much a multi would go up by.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That is the sort of thing MUP was invented for. Supermarkets targeting drinkers with special below cost deals around Christmas, Patrick's Day and Child Benefit days.

I suspect you're right about the going up North talk. And I would fear for people who are that disconnected from reality trying to make their way from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are right it was invented so people couldn't buy drinks at the market price any more.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Maynooth to Newry is 126km each way. So lets say 260km - Stuck €30.00 of diesel in it leaving Maynooth (it was on the light) and that got me there and back and in and out to work until yesterday- dash said 400km to empty.

So not too bad. Take the fuel into account and I still saved €170.00 but as its a company car and I was on "business" up North it didnt cost me anything 😁

In a way the people who live round the border should be envious of those from down the country who are saving a fortune on drink now. Border people who always got their drink in the North are still paying the same price. The only variable is the exchange rate. I remember way back getting £300 for €330 in a bureau in Dundalk. Today that would cost me €355 from the same source. People going North for Christmas might want to start getting in Sterling now. But it is a guessing game as to whether it will be dearer or cheaper in December. And watch out for shops giving a bad rate at any time.

"This is the British Pound (GBP) to Euro (EUR) exchange rate history data page for the year of 2023, covering 241 days of GBP EUR historical data.

Best exchange rate: 1.1746 EUR on 11 Jul 2023.

Average exchange rate in 2023: 1.1462 EUR.

Worst exchange rate: 1.115 EUR on 04 Feb 2023."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I did a simple calculation on this and this is what i came up with based on another posters assertion that they know people in Waterford heading up north to buy.

Assumptions

Car = Diesel Hyundai Tucson, 2020, 45mpg (https://www.parkers.co.uk/hyundai/tucson/estate/review/mpg-running-costs/)

Waterford to Newry = min 350miles round trip (560KM) - distance is 168 miles each way but add a few for detours etc.

Diesel= €1.71 p/l

Cost of trip €60 (https://www.sust-it.net/petrol-diesel-car-journey-cost-calculator.php)

Lets throw another €20 minimum in for sundries, food etc

So €80 for the trip

Slabs of Heineken cans in Asda = £2.42 p/l (https://groceries.asda.com/aisle/beer-wine-spirits/beer-lager-ales/lager/1215685911554-1215345814764-1215352668591?facets=product_brand%3AHeineken)

Which is €2.81 p/l (https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=2.42&From=GBP&To=EUR)

So lets says you bulk buy 10 x 15 x 440ml slabs in Newry you buy a total of 66 litres of beer.

At €2.81 p/l that is €185.46

Add the cost of the trip and the total is €265.46

Now in Tesco in Ireland Heineken is €4p/l (https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/search?query=alcohol&department=Beer%20%26%20Cider&viewAll=department%2Cbrand&brand=Heineken)

So if one were to have the same €265 available to them to shop for beer in Waterford, actually take away €5 for sundries, parking, fuel to the shopping centre etc, so €260 to spend on beer in Waterford

They could buy 65 litres of beer.

So it works out pretty even.

On its own there is no saving traveling from Waterford to Newry for booze, and you have spent a day traveling.

I know there are different options available and every drink in NI is not £2.42 p/l, but that is a like for like comparison.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres my take on the savings even travelling from Waterford.

Slab of beer - 500ml is €28 euros in NI - Carlsberg

Slab of the same beer down here is €48.00 plus.

Thats a saving of €20.00 per tray.

To break even including your fuel price you`d need to buy 3 trays of beer - ie savings of €60.00

Id agree that theres no point in going up North for 3 trays of beer so youre going to fill the boot!!!

I bought 142 cans of 500ml(3 trays of beer + 7x 10 cans of stella - just shy of 6 slabs), 1 bottle of vodka, 1 bottle of gin and 3 bottles of wine.

6 trays of beer saved me €118.00, Vodka saved me €15, Gin saved me €15.00 and the 3 bottles of wine saved another €15 between them.

Total price I paid was €197.77 euros - fuel cost me nothing so I saved €179 euros.

Same price down here would be

6x48= €288

Vodka €29.00

Gin €29.50

Wine x 3 @ €10 each - €30.00

Total price - €376.50 Republic price - €197.77 NI price = €178.73 less fuel = €118.73

Still a huge saving and the more you buy the more you save.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Did you factor in your sundries 🤣

I'll be letting the seats down in my estate and going to town up there again. No messing with a couple of slabs. I'll buy a minimum of 15 slabs.

The cheapest gin on the First & Last website is Gordons 70 cl £14.99 (€17.53). The same bottle is €22 in Tesco in the South.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/253879315

If a shop is selling a 70 cl bottle of gin in the South for €29.50, they are going well over the MUP. If it is for a party, I would go for the cheapest. The Lidl website is not great for checking prices. Is that where you got the gin for the equivalent of €14.99?

It could have been an offer or mistake.I definitely got the Gin in First and Last.

My total was €129.77 euros and I paid in cash and got €20.00 euros back.

The vodka was €15.78 , beer was €84.00 and the wine was €15 - leaves the gin at €14.99 - unless they put the Gin through at the sterling equivalent by mistake. I dont drink Gin so Im not well up on the prices but my Local off licence the Gordons is €29.50 for a 70cl bottle.

Id only spent the 70 in Lidl for their offer on the Stella.

• Advertisement

There are no £5 bottles of wine on the First Last website. Cheapest is £6.49 (€7.59). You can get a good selection of bottles of wine for €8 in Tesco. Again for a party I wouldn't spend a tenner on a bottle of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For 'plonk' wine and mixing spirits you'd get it a lot cheaper in Sainsburys. Maybe not on Irish whiskey but rum, gin, vodka, scotch.

Scotch across the board would be a lot cheaper and much bigger selection than usual here.

They'd have own brand wine for £5 merlot etc.

And if they still have 25% off wine when you buy 6 bottles on bank holiday weekends, that'll work out cheaper again on any level of wine versus here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It is nothing new for Sainsbury's Newry to have a lot of shoppers from the South. Back in 2008 it was selling more alcohol than any other Sainsbury's in the world. That was driven by FX exchange rates. People need to take the exchange rate into account.

Also by Christmas fuel prices will be higher than today, with taxes going up on 01 Sept and 31 Oct. E.g. Petrol 7 cents 01 Sept and 8 cents on 31 Oct. Judging from what is on the thread some people could benefit from doing a bit of proper shopping around in the South before hitting the road for the North.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/theyre-10-miles-apart-but-its-boomtown-in-newry-and-gloomtown-in-dundalk/26492834.html

A Sainsbury's manager told me the chain's supermarket in Newry, only a few miles from the border, now sells more alcohol than any other Sainsbury's store in the world. Overall sales are up by 70 to 90pc this year -- largely due to the Southern invasion.

https://www.keycurrency.co.uk/gbptoeuro/

Lowest pound-to-euro rate ever

The lowest Pound to Euro rate ever was €1.02 on 30th December 2008. 

This was during the global financial crisis at which point the UK banking system was fragile and required government support to stave off collapse.

People will be driving North this year purely because of MUP. Make no mistake about that.

I can get 3 x 660ml bottles of Krombacher for £5. The same down here would cost me £10.50. That's a massive saving when I'm going to buy probably 60 bottles of it. I'll buy 8 x 15 packs of Heineken @ £88. Granted its the 440ml heineken but it's a massive saving still.

Crazy savings to be had on the face of it. I won't add a cup of coffee in to it though. Wouldn't want my savings to be eaten up by my sundries.

Anyway what some here don't get is it's the principle of the situation too. Fxxk MUP and AAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Any reports showing MUP has had any impact on alcohol related social issues or deaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

At that level, I suspect we'd have to find something else to tax to fund hospital and gardai resources. Are you aware of how much income tax, vat and excise comes from the alcohol industry, not to mention employment? Excise alone was 1.2 billion last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

Are you aware of how much of the costs of hospitals, courts, Gardai, prisons comes from the alcohol industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Just on the Heineken 440mls, they're actually a higher alcohol % than the 500ml cans here so they equate to roughly the same alcohol content per can

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Last year was the first Christmas since MUP, many people were shocked when slab offers etc. which are usually around at that time of year were not available. That's not stupid, just not keeping up with our health publican-promoting legislative bollocks. You're the one calling people stupid, not me.

Life ain't always empty.

Paying in euro in a shop is foolish. Always pay by card in local currency, your card provider will give you a better rate (or best of all use Revolut etc)

First two sentences are daft though. If I earn 50k and my neighbour who was on 40k gets a promotion to also earn 50k, am I supposed to be envious of him even though I'm no worse off?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

45mpg (6.3L/100km) seems very poor for a diesel on a long motorway trip. I can easily beat that on the motorway in a petrol car. Parkers quote 61mpg for the 2015-2020 diesel Tucson here

15x440mL cans is a sorry excuse for a 'slab'. A slab is 24x500mL

You also forgot to buy any wines or spirits

Cherry picking.

Also people have to eat whether they're at home, out in their local town, or on a trip up North. Nothing stopping people bringing sandwiches 👍️

Life ain't always empty.

If you just drive up the North and pay the first price you see then you might not make a saving. You have to shop around.

For example you linked to Heineken in Asda. Well, there's a two for £16 offer that you overlooked. Big saving straight away.

You also overlooked that Heineken is 16% stronger up North. It's 5.0% ABV up there.

So 20x440ml Heineken 5% is £16 in Asda or approx €18.65. Same qty of 5% beer down here is at least €34.72

That's a 16 euro saving on 20 cans. Most people would cover their fuel with a few packs and everything after that is a saving. Coming up to xmas or a birthday/etc i'd easily buy 200 cans. You don't have to drink them all at once, they keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was comparing like with like, i.e what was advertised as on sale in ASAD and what was advertised as what was on sale in Tesco in the republic

And I was using the p/l figure to eliminate the the can size difference etc, and I did clarify that there were other options available. But the big beef about MUP from what I have read here seems to be about the increase in the cost of the multipack/slab so that's what I focused on.

I know AH is a free for all and anyone can they say that they saw or did anything without much need for verification, but I prefer to use some sort of sources where available to make a point.

As for the fuel costs, I have a Citroën with a 1.6l engine, if I put €60 diesel in it empty in Waterford there would be feck all left after a round trip to Newry, so it would be the case also with the Tucson.

All of this was done to stress the point that Waterford to Newry for a booze run is not that economically viable, there will be some savings there but far les than people think once they look beyond the headline sticker price of the product.

I live in Kerry and I've never considered a trip to NI to buy alcohol, because I know the numbers would just not add up.

Waterford would be slightly better numbers wise but still not a massive saving IMO.

As others have said this is the second Christmas on MUP coming up.

I looked for news items or analysis on last years cross border trade but there seems to be very little.

All I found related to it during the Christmas period in 2022 was this one article from the BT which is behind a paywall so I can't read more of it

If it was such a big deal in 2022 I'd have expected more coverage from the media down south.

The figures and stats available for cross border alcohol shopping is as poor for the figures that are available for the impact MUP is having.

The per litre cost is silly. Nobody buys cans like this or beer like this. Just use the 15 PKs. 2 x 15 packs of Heineken is £22 in Sainsburys. It's a 5 percent beer. 2 x 15 packs in the south is a minimum of €50.

Granted it would be mad to travel from Kerry up.

There are massive savings to be had. It makes real economic sense to go up if you are within 2 hours of the border. Especially if you are stocking up for 6 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭GSBellew

You get stung if you don't really drink during the year and only realise at the last minute

They had offers on an A board when you walk in the door of the shop for wines. They arent all on their website.

In case anyone doesn't know, there is no Asda in Newry. The one in Portadown would be on a par with Enniskillen. The one in Kilkeel is smaller.

The burea in Dundalk will give you £845 for €1,000 in cash. Revolut will give you £855 so not much in it. I like to buy cash, and if you choose your moment you can be well insulated from future fluctuations. I would not buy Sterling today.

Well spotted on my daft suggestion.

They have 23 pages of wines with 9 on each page. It is a shame they weren't able to squeeze in the ones for a fiver. They would likely attract custom from far away, and not have to rely on passing trade to see the deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Advertisement