Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,311 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

You don't need to be a genius to read between the lines of everything they were saying

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But the price differential across the border in Ireland was substantial enough before MUP, and of course is a lot higher now on many drinks since MUP. Before MUP in Scotland there was no incentive to go to England to buy alcohol at all.

Remember our MUP level is set higher than Scotland's, our VAT rate is higher than NI (and rest of UK), our excise rate is a lot higher than NI (and rest of UK)

So MUP in Ireland took a situation where there was already an incentive to shop across the border and made that incentive bigger.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I can certainly see them openly campaigning within a few years for ration cards. You'll be allocated a certain number of (very expensive) weekly units and no more. Said number and said expense to be subject to continual AAI lobbying to worsen them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I can pop over the border in a few minutes, so that won't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,317 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To prove my point that I reject your attempts to set the bounds of the debate:

They are an organisation focused only on alcohol. So they are being judged on what they have said. Given what they have said, and in the absence of a firm statement to the contrary, I think it is reasonable to draw the conclusion as to their ultimate goal re: long term in favour of banning of alcohol. They dont give speeches / policy positions on Ukraine. Or Global warming. But about alcohol and its availability and accessibility. So entirely valid to draw conclusions about what they do not say about alcohol.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Was it them who came up with the idea of the ration cards? Or where did that suggestion come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Just to weigh in with my opinion:

MUP, another ridiculous and stupid measure introduced precisely when inflation is at it's highest point in decades. Even more stupid than the 10.30/12.30 time restraint, as the unintended consequences are much worse.

It's already started, but watch all the alarm bells going off when the increase in drug use is being reported and debated, with everyone wondering how this happened. Best idea would probably be to ban drugs... oh, wait....

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

They don't give speeches or have policy positions on prohibition either, but don't let that hold back your wild leaps of imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

Their Annual Review 2020 states that "Our vision is a society free from alcohol harm". So considering that even 1 drink can do harm, it's pretty clear what they want.

If you were right, they'd have left out the 'harm' bit.

But they didn't.

• Advertisement

You can't stop alcohol harm without stopping alcohol. It's hardly rocket science.

That's your words, not theirs. It's funny how with all the vast amounts of detailed papers and policies on their website, you have to go making stuff up about what they might want to do in the future to have something to moan about.

It is a scientific fact, as backed up by the WHO. I have made nothing up. AAI use the WHO as a source extensively.

"No level of alcohol consumption is safe for our health

To identify a “safe” level of alcohol consumption, valid scientific evidence would need to demonstrate that at and below a certain level, there is no risk of illness or injury associated with alcohol consumption. The new WHO statement clarifies: currently available evidence cannot indicate the existence of a threshold at which the carcinogenic effects of alcohol “switch on” and start to manifest in the human body."

Again, your words and not theirs. They talk about 'society free from alcohol harm', no more and no less than that.

Lads, I'm no fan of AAI or of MUP.....buuuut.....Andrew is correct on this one, I'm afraid. You're all basically making up your own 'goals' and attributing them to AAI for no reason.

"So they are being judged on what they have said. Given what they have said, and in the absence of a firm statement to the contrary...."

These two sentences directly contradict each other. "They are being judged on what they have said, and even though they haven't said they are for prohibition, I'm gonna judge them on that too".

You then double down on this again at the end of your paragraph:

So entirely valid to draw conclusions about what they do not say about alcohol.

You're not judging them on what they're saying. You are judging them on what you THINK they're saying. You are 100% free to do this, but you cannot then lambast them for something that you, essentially, pulled out of thin air. Your line of thinking is completely at odds with logic. It's the equivalent of interviewing a celebrity and saying "I see you haven't come out and spoken against Jeffrey Epstein, therefore you are pro child-molestation, you sick pervert".

Doesn't work like that. You cannot attribute a POV/stance/statement to someone because they have refused to say the opposite, which is what you're attempting to do here.

Nope, it's not out of thin air and frankly it is absurd to suggest that.It's on the continuum from the policies they have openly advocated for.

Likewise you also accuse me 'completely out of thin air' of lambasting them on this basis alone or directly attributing specific statements to them. How about pointing specifically to the post in which I did that- well?

And I don't think anyone who has actually read the posts on the thread could come out with a ridiculous example such as Jeffrey Epstein, when a similarly ridiculous comparison with Putin was already dealt with.

If an organisation or party started advocating for policies such as making abortions more difficult to access, and made no statement that they support abortion being legal in certain circumstances ... would it be out of thin air to question that they might be in fact ultimately set on trying to get abortion outlawed fully? Would it be illogical? Clearly not.

I am judging them exactly on what they have said AND what they have not said. Because what they have not said is directly relevant to their core area of policy. I attributed no direct statement to them NOR did I 'lambast' them specifically or solely for that. But it is reasonable to come to a conclusion about their stance and POV on an issue that directly relates to that core area.

Similarly if a manager is having a run of defeats, and the chairman \ board does NOT come out with public backing, it is entirely reasonable to conclude they they are considering the manager's position.

And as I've explained below:

Let us imagine a party which pitches itself as pacifist and in its agenda say it will cut military spending etc. It does not give any commitment to retain say a nuclear deterrent. Is a discussion that said party ultimately seeks to get rid of the nuclear deterrent based on 'rumours'? Would there be no basis for saying they plan to get rid of it? I think we can see such a standard would preclude debate of any political topic outside the present exact text of a party \ organisation's agenda or manifesto

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just out of interest Andrew, how much lower would you like to see alcohol consumption drop in Ireland?

It's already dropping steadily every year. More and more young people are turning their back on drink.

Where would you like to see it?

The death penalty for having a pint is on the continuum from the policies they have openly advocated for. The only question is how far you want to leap from their actual policies to your imaginary policies.

I'm not an expert, but I'd like to see it at the level where it isn't accounting for vast amounts of hospital resources, particularly (but not limited to) emergency departments, and vast amounts of Gardai resources too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

Molloys Blanchardstown - 10 pack of Coors 500ml - up to €25 - rip-off bstrds really taking the piss now. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

But the latter issue around ER and Gardai resources can also be tackled by changing licensing to be less restrictive as in other european countries, so far all weve done is restrict licensing and sales and the problem of violence requiring those resources has if anything only gotten worse. However AAI are also against changes like extending hours or cafe licenses despite all available evidence showing they might very well have a positive impact. This shows clearly their fundamentalist attitude being simply "alcohol = bad".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

A younger neighbour from back home players rugby and is into his gym, the whole gym lifestyle, Instagram etc...

His fairly open about not drinking, but will take a bucket of cocaine & pills...

He'll go out, drink mi wadi or water and then drop and/snort all sorts, and says it's a very common approach from the majority of his peers...says you can get enough drugs for a night for a fraction of the price of drink and he doesn't need to worry about the calories that would be in the alcohol

Do you know who his dealers are, and whether they can be relied on to supply good cocaine?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,451 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's €2.50 a can, way too much to pay.

Last week Lidl had Coors 20x330ml bottles for €22.39.

Works out at €1.70 a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

You píss all over the arguments against MUP then admit that you don't give a fúck about it anyway. *Slow Clap*

I was responding to the post that said there are going to be ration cards. Not just me, but thousands more could get round that by going over the border. It would also fail because people could pass on their purchases to others. Or they could hoard their purchases and then have binges. And it would probably need overall EU agreement to reduce the import limits currently in place.

Some of my other posts are pointing out the flaws in arguments claiming that MUP is going to lead to prohibition.

I'm not here to speak for AAI, maybe there are better alternatives out there.

Nope, it's not out of thin air and frankly it is absurd to suggest that.It's on the continuum from the policies they have openly advocated for.

In your mind, it is. You're literally making it up and saying it out loud, then attributing it to them.

Likewise you also accuse me 'completely out of thin air' of lambasting them on this basis alone or directly attributing specific statements to them. How about pointing specifically to the post in which I did that- well?

Hold on a sec.....are you claiming now that you AREN'T saying they want to ban alcohol completely?

And I don't think anyone who has actually read the posts on the thread could come out with a ridiculous example such as Jeffrey Epstein, when a similarly ridiculous comparison with Putin was already dealt with.

Why not? I'm just doing what you are doing, right? I'm judging you on what you said and what you didn't say, thats how it works, yeah?

If an organisation or party started advocating for policies such as making abortions more difficult to access, and made no statement that they support abortion being legal in certain circumstances ... would it be out of thin air to question that they might be in fact ultimately set on trying to get abortion outlawed fully? Would it be illogical? Clearly not.

Correct, well done. Now, compare your sentence above (and notice that the word "MIGHT" is doing a lot of heavy lifting) with your previous assertions that they definitely want to eliminate alcohol completely. Which is your stance, yeah?

I am judging them exactly on what they have said AND what they have not said.

Translation: I've made it up and attributed it to them so that I can be angry at them.

Eh what post did you do that in? Post #8267.

It's right here, in direct reply to mine, implicitly directed at me:

You cannot attribute a POV/stance/statement to someone

You are 100% free to do this, but you cannot then lambast them for something

So where specifically did I do either of those things?

You seem to be concerned about people making things up, so check your own posts for it first.

• Advertisement

You're not making any sense, I'm afraid.

Are you now trying to get bogged down in the semantics of the word lambast? You are being harshly critical of AAI here on this thread, going so far as to imagine their ultimate goal is authoritarian in nature. That is the dictionary definition of lambast.

As for the statement part, this is you (in post 8164) putting words in their mouth. You are inventing an entire ethos for the organisation and attributing it to them:

Given what they have said, and in the absence of a firm statement to the contrary, I think it is reasonable to draw the conclusion as to their ultimate goal re: long term in favour of banning of alcohol.

Your entire argument is flawed. You are saying that, because AAI HAVEN'T said they're against prohibition then they MUST be in favour of it (despite the inconvenient fact that they haven't come out and said they're FOR prohibition either).

"they haven't said they're against prohibition, logic dictates that must mean they're for it"

"have they said they're for prohibition?"

"no"

"so that same logic must dictate that they're against it then, yeah?"

"😡 no, it doesn't work like that"

Completely circular, flawed and hypocritical.

Advertisement