Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dunno what your talking about I bought wine at club card prices 2 weeks ago.

This more pint glass nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Has anyone got a tesco clubcard I can use in NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thanks. Just scan at the self service checkout I presume. Screenshot work?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You don't get loyalty points on the purchase is perhaps the change?

They can do the same 'clubcard price' they do down here as long as it is offered to all clubcard holders.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yes should be fine

any issues with it, they can pump the number in

There is a number of people here I suspect who are in denial of the actual harm alcohol does. I drink myself, so I’m no teetotaller but I’m aware of the damage it can do and have witnessed the extraordinarily serious damage it has done on a number of people.

It is known to trigger cancer, eg breast cancer in women, and other cancers too. Liver damage is well known, but in theory if you get sober you can get a transplant, as in the case of my cousin, who’s 30 years sober post transplant. The least well known damage is to the brain, Korsakoff Syndrome, which is a form of irreversible brain damage. A person with KS can still be very intelligent, and can carry on great conversation, but memory is so severely affected that it can result in inability to continue work and properly care for oneself, and the characteristic is that the person affected typically lacks insight into their own cognitive deficit. Retaining new information is the biggest issue, it is often forgotten in 5 minutes.

Eating well whilst drinking is very important to help prevent some of these issues in the first place. In Singapore, eg, they are required to serve some food along with alcohol, often in the form of a mini satay kebab.

You might be able to get a new liver, get cancer treated successfully, but there’s no such thing as a brain transplant.

The issues with alcohol are very real in this country, and take huge resources. We have such a strong drinking culture it’s hard to avoid and we tend to underestimate the harm done. I keep saying it, but I think tax from alcohol should be ring-fenced for medical care, half for addiction treatment and the other half for general medical care in my ideal world.

Minimum unit pricing isn't a tax though, so does that mean you object to it or not? How do you see MUP mitigating your concern?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

I see two sides to minimum pricing. The good side to minimise the ability of new users to afford it, and indeed to curb consumption of potentially more enthusiastic users. The big downside is that it brings further financial downfall to those already addicted and moreover to their families. It’s a double edged weapon, and I’m not at all sure it is overall a good thing at all.

But I do very much believe in takings from alcohol funding the prevention & treatment of issues it causes.

Just to re-iterate, the additional takings from increased alcohol prices from MUP go to the retailer primarily. They can't be \ won't be ring-fenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

it in no way minimizes the ability of new users to buy it, or to curb consumption. it just makes it more expensive for people who used to buy the cheaper booze.

I like prazsky , a nice cheap Czech beer. Was €5 for 4 500ml cans, they now cost €7 for the same . A 40% increase. The craft beer piss costs the same, because most of it is over priced rubbish to begin with. Same with the people buying their €15 bottles of wine, no increase. Why not add 40% on to these too to help the wealthier problem drinkers ? (there are many of these too)

I can afford to drink what I want, but I mostly like what are seen as cheap beers

You see it's a regressive step. The only way to tackle addiction is through education of the dangers of over indulgence and treatment. This is just the government using a sledge hammer on an issue which required a much more sensitive and kid glove approach.

The dangers are obvious but will be ignored or downplayed by the lobbyists pushing for MUP and other alcohol purchasing deterrents. Drugs. It's a real threat that younger people will be pushed toward class A drugs as they become cheaper than Alcohol. Again this will be refuted by AAI. I'd rather my son or daughter be able to have a few cans every night in college with their mates than dabble in Cocaine or Ecstasy. AAI will tell you get them to have a 7up or something.

The extortionate rise in the price of off license alcohol and pub sales will prohibit some people from enjoying their vice. It's a bit like prohibition for those people. We all know that this doesn't work.

However I'll reiterate. This isn't about peoples health or other social issues caused by alcohol. AAI aren't bothered about that. It's about control. It's about a small group of people not happy that others are able to enjoy themselves. They have a specific agenda against supermarkets sales and people having drinks at home. Why they haven't bothered focusing on pubs yet is telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think to replace all this ineffective labelling we should teach the dangers of addiction in school. This would included addiction to alcohol gambling smoking junk food drugs etc. There you could show real life examples of what happens to people in each category one full class per addiction type. There'd be a lot to cover.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Prazsky cans also went from 500ML to 440ML along with the increase to €7 not to forget, so your missing quantity as well as a steep increase in price

That is true, and as adults it is our responsibility to understand the risks and not have to be mollycoddled or have to pay excessive prices for something we enjoy doing. No one denies alcohol usage can be risky or damaging to health, the same goes for eating junk food, sweets, chocolate, drinking fizzy drinks, the list goes on. Even some forms of exercise can be risky!

I have cut back my own drinking from 4 days a week to 3. I probably drink slightly more than the average person, that is because I enjoy it and I understand the risks. I don't go mad few beers on a Thursday night and the weekend. I can well afford the MUP priced drink, but I prefer to spend my hundreds of euro outside of the state now on principle. I do feel sorry for people stuck paying stupid rents, and would like a few cans at the weekend and have to pay a stupid price for them with all the other expenses piled up.

A relative of mine was diagnosed with bowel cancer recently, thankfully caught early. He's teetotal. Not trying to downplay Alcohol can increase the risks of certain cancers, but so can a lot of things!

I don't bother with the smaller cans, I believe they went to €6 for 4 x 440ml. I find 4 x 500ml is a sweet spot of not over indulging !! them 440ml cans are a curse !!

Didn't realise they still sold 500ML cans. Maybe old stock can't see why they'd do 4x500ML and then 6x440ML. I've not seen 500ML Prazskys since they brought this mup in, but admittedly don't really look in the off licenses here anymore

all the local shops went to the 440ml cans, but now nearly all back to the 500ml again. People wanted the normal size can obviously , rather than trying to sell 4 smaller cans cheaper. This shows what a joke the MUP is.

Interesting maybe they rolled back on the can size. Agreed I'd rather pay slightly more for the bigger cans that actually fill a pint glass. All the UK cans are 440ml which is annoying

I actually prefer the 330ml can size of 300ml bottles. Find the product nice out of a can. Also I find the end of the can doesn't go warm like the 500ml version. the issue is 6 cans of 330ml corona is €9.50. I can buy 18 cans of Fanta for €10.00. I think 18 cans of fanta drank in one night would be a hell of a lot worse for my health lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is ZERO increase in excise duty. The stated goal is to reduce alcohol consumption so there will be a decrease in excise.

VAT will increase because the price will increase, but that would likely be compensated by people reducing spending elsewhere. It'll be VAT neutral unless people give up food or clothes or saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I can also get it for nothing out of a tap.

Can't do that with beer I'm afraid ☹️

The nonsensical comparisons by the MUP batallion get yet more nonsensical!

Life ain't always empty.

Not if you're enrolling your kid in school we're not.

If we're getting stupid health warnings on our beer they should have to put a health warning on the chalice in mass, that'd be a laugh...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,914 ✭✭✭thesandeman

That would be very economical (and ecumenical). Buy the water in Lidl for 49c and turn it into wine for free.

Waterford Whispers with an AH worthy take on the warning labels eg

This wine is not to be drunk like beer.

May make people look more attractive than they actually are.

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2023/05/22/may-make-people-look-more-attractive-than-they-actually-are-new-alcohol-warnings-revealed/

You know something's up when WW is making more sense than the actual proposals

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Odd that, because again there can be no discrimination based on religious beliefs of the parents and children.

So there's that...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Malbac

beautifully put, like having bitter ex drinker christy moore as minister for alcohol. Just because he was rolling around in his own piss after a week on the sauce does not mean that everyone does

• Advertisement

No

Apart from the daily prayers, daily religion classes, class masses etc. and no alternative provided for the 'opted out' kids except sit there, but sure if the other kids aren't learning anything then why should they be allowed to either 😛

The lip service we are still forced to pay to religion (and Irish) is a bit reminiscent of our very immature over-restrictive attitude to alcohol tbh.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement