Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,102 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's Ireland.. consumer interests have always been at the bottom of the pile.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I don't believe that's what they are doing but leaving that aside what do you suggest they do to allow advertising of 0.0 products? Do you think they should change the name of all 0.0 drinks that are made specifically to emulate the specific taste of the alcoholic drinks? It's nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lofidelity

Is there any evidence that excessive alcohol consumption has reduced since minimum pricing was introduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Someone will pull out a spurious report that neither backs that up or refutes it. It will be totally subjective.

What these reports don't tend to link is the rise in illegal drug use and other forms of addiction due to MUP. They also don't talk about the knock on effect of MUP to lower income households because the dependency on alcohol now means less income is available for food, heating clothing etc.

OECD figures show we have been dropping year over year our overall consumption for 2 decades, it is now around 60% of what it was in 2005. However this was all during a time when according to the nimby anti alcohol brigade alcohol has never been cheaper and causing more and more problems. Their stories and lies have never lined up with the actual facts. They will. Undoubtedly claim any drop since the introduction of MUP as it being a cause of MUP despite the year over year decline simply continuing for 20 years prior.

• Advertisement

Alcohol use was dropping steadily in Ireland for 20 years before MUP was introduced so... if the trend continues it's "Yay! MUP is a success!" 🙄

And if, very unexpectedly it didn't, it'd be "MUP is a good idea but we need to increase the price level" 🙄🙄

NB this all ignores cross-border sales of course.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oh they're back again, like we always said they would.

Why does the article just refer to Bobby Smyth from Trinity college negating to mention he's on the board of AAI ..

They're going after mcgrath for the next budget.

Bobby, you on here ? Which one of the clap clap accounts are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Smyth was throwing out figures like there are currently 1500 people in hospital with alcohol related issues and 1000 people a year die from alcohol. How on earth would they get figures like that?. Its like quoting that 1300 people a year die from air pollution?, how do you determine that?

And of course the 20+ year declining trend in alcohol consumption is not mentioned.

It never is but they will absolutely claim credit for any drop post MUP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

With the publicians doing so much whining today on the radio, I’m surprised they are no suggesting an increase in MUP. Bunch of money grabbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Almost 7 euro a pint where I am to go to a local - given up going to the pub bar 2 pints then home - have no sympathy for them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Zero sympathy for publicans.

Price gouging is keeping people out of pubs.

Missed that, what is their specific whinge this time?

If they could force people to pay pub prices to drink at home, they would.

Mainly about how many pubs have closed since 2005 and still are closing, its pure entitlement they honestly believe they are owed their businesses because of "the benefit they bring to the community"

They'll start that yet. Wait and see. If numbers in the pubs were down during the summer I'd imagine the long dark winter months will be worse for them. Why would you venture out in the crap weather to get fleeced. You can't even get 3 pints for 20 quid anymore 😮

Seriously thinking of getting a Guinness Tap setup in the house. Although the Nitros are excellent.

Hospitality in the country is about fleecing and gouging what they can out of customers and they don't give a damn. Whinge then when people don't return or decide to have dinner at home with a bottle of wine.

The prices being charge at the moment almost make prices in off licenses seem like good value. They will push for a hike next year on MUP next year I'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The ship has sailed for the pub from long ago. 30+ years ago hardly anyone drank at home. Now people can, for much less.

People are probably drinking less too, particularly young people.

The pubs are making hay while the sun shines it seems. It's a dying business.

The opposite can be said of coffee shops. Booming.

Good god they are some shower of whingers, have a listen if your interested they were on newstalk lunchtime yesterday https://www.goloudplayer.com/episodes/tough-trading-times-for-pubs-in--NDhmZTYyMTcyOTc4NGJkYzc3ZGI2ZGNjYWVkZGI2N2E=

I think there will always be a place for decent pubs regardless of their price point to an extent. Pubs that manage to do decent food at reasonable prices are hard to find so there is definitely a market there. In saying that I do think the days of going to the pub at 8 and staying until the small hours are done and dusted for most. I mean for a couple to do that now without food it has to be the guts of 150 euros. Not a cheap night especially with peoples discretionary income shrinking by the week. Me and her would go down now once a month on a Saturday at 4 and stay until 7 at latest. We'd also bring cash of about 70 quid which roughly works out at about 5 pints each.

I think they are trying to see what the tipping point will be and how long they can stay in the huge profits and still attract customers in. They are competing directly with MUP and I think they thought that people would be prepared to pay more for a night out now with the state set price of off license sales on peoples minds. They have been wrong though and it's not like before where people will return in their droves. Most I know enjoy having friends over and drinking on their own terms in their own comfort rather than the hassle of going to a pub.

MUP is a disgrace. It's here to stay though and I think we will be faced with increases soon enough given the power of the vintners lobby and the hold AAI seem to have over politicians. I recently brought in 4 litres of Jameson from the canaries for 34 quid. I wouldn't have done that before and was happy enough to pay pre MUP prices but not anymore. When it increases again booze cruises might take off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,054 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think they are trying to see what the tipping point will be and how long they can stay in the huge profits and still attract customers in.

But the vast, vast majority of pubs are not making huge profits, many I'd say are just keeping the head above water.

I was talking to a publican in rural Mayo recently.

He was left the pub by his parents and a small to medium farm, his wife works full time.

He only can afford to open the pub a few hours at night from Thursday to Sunday, and even then he may not break even for the night.

He has to put on the fire, the heat and the lights regardless of whether anyone comes in or not.

If he reduced the price of the drink he would not attract any more customers, they just aren't there.

Healthier lifestyle choices, drink driving laws, other entertainment options mean that the next generation of drinkers are not going to the pub.

He has kids of secondary school age, when he is ready to retire they are not going to keep it open and it will be another pub closed.

And it's not just rural pubs that are quite, in towns it's only on the weekend that pubs are anyway busy.

Even in Dublin it's only the city center that's busy during the week.

There will be an awful lot of closures in the coming years as publicans retire and no one wants to take over.

And again, it's not the price of the drink that's doing it alone, it's the changes in society.

Indeed it is the changes in society and far too many pubs have refused to adapt to those changes by offering more than a bar stool and a terrible toasted sandwich to go with a massively overpriced pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

But I thought AAI said we were horsing back increasing volumes of pints followed by whiskey chasers, morning, noon and night??

Whats this about the population drinking less alcohol overall? It can't be true!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its not solely the price of drink, but it is undoubtedly a factor. Price gouging is yet another reason for those not predisposed to go to stay away. The markup on soft drinks, for example, is incredible. Offering free soft drinks to children, free soft drinks or 0.0 in a round would give incentives to designated drivers for example.

Or how about moving away from the traditional breweries, so better priced options? Micro Brewery pubs showed that people will drink alternatives, but instead of moving to other brands the pubs simply accept any price increase and pass it on (with a round-up for themselves).

What are pubs doing to attract new customers? Simply complaining about it is no good.

Plenty of pubs in towns are makig huge profits. Rural pubs are not doing as good.

What are the publicans looking for? There were no suggestions in that piece other than it being a pitty party. One of them said something about ubers FFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

What do you suggest pubs should offer that would attract new customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I already mentioned a few. Free or vastly reduced pricing on soft drinks. Moving away from the traditional breweries for better priced options. Offering transport tokens for taxis/mini buses for groups. The prices of things like mixers are disgraceful.

They will, on the face of them, cost money or reduce profits, but they need to do something to attract customers back. ATM, their plan seems to be simply to hope, along with trying a bit of guilt.

That's up to them to figure and decide. Not us. All they are doing is whinging but putting forward no solutions. It's obvious that they will eventually focus on the home drinkers again.

• Advertisement

So if I'm driving along the road with my friend we can drop into a pub, get a free coke with ice and a glass that needs to be washed, use the toilets and toilet paper while my mate sips a pint watching sky sports in front of a cozy fire.

Or I can bring 3 kids in for free cokes to watch a game on sky while I nurse a pint.

Transport tokens wtf?

Great logic there.

Advertisement