Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭Gusser09

So do you think people sohlud be happy to pay 7 euro for a pint and 4 euro for a coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You are fine to disagree. They are only ideas. What are your ideas?

I mean the alternative is that pubs do nothing but keep moaning about how it used to be great and continue to shut.

You will of course have people that will take advantage, but mostly not. What you are doing is getting new customers in the door. Do you think restaurants make big money on kids' meals, or McD do kids' toys because they make money with the toy? It is about generating repeat customers. As those kids grow up, they head to that pub with their mates after games.

Toilet paper and washing classes! You can't be serious. Driving, particularly to rural pubs, in major issue, so why not have transport tokens? Alternative is the person doesn't come at all. Yes, it will probably cost in the short term, but pubs are nothing without customers, so getting customers in can aid in getting more in.

Getting groups in with a dedicated driver. Fair enough to have limits, maybe you have to order 3 full drinks with each free one, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

To some of the naysayers - I could take you on a tour of my locality and show you ppl (mainly men but not exclusively) who sit in the pub morning noon and night skulling back pints and shorts of spirits.

i don’t mean one off “sessions” or benders.

This is their grim life every day of the week.

As an observation, the same people usually running back and forth between the pub and the bookies all day.

So yes, this is the drinking culture of Ireland in 2023. Deeply entrenched behaviours.

I don’t know how they do it it but it goes on.

Add on top of that home drinking of cans or bottles of vodka/gin/etc.

Lot of ppl are in denial over what goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I pay €5 for a pint.

23% of that is vat which leaves ~€4

Brewery takes ~€2 from which duty is about ~50c

So pub gets ~€2

After that it's wages, insurance, rates, electricity, heating, sky etc. etc.

€5 is great value imo.

In other areas rates, insurance, wages, security etc. are much higher so €7 would also be about right.

Plenty of pubs do things though. Pool tournament, sky sports, golf society, poker night, sponsor the local GAA team to name a few. But if the population isn't there then it's going to close. A few free drinks won't change that.

• Advertisement

And the coke? Not sure why the customer is at fault here. We don't set the prices. Just refuse to pay it.

That may all very well be true, but not a hint of a solution. What you are saying is that pubs are simply unviable. The product, with all the necessary stuff around it (insurance, wages etc) is simply too expensive for the alternatives available.

But they seem to have reached a point that the price is now starting to become a negative factor. As I said not the only factor and I would suggest not even the main factor, but a factor. So simply raising the price will not fix it for them. So they need to do something.

Either cut costs, or increase revenue.

Pubs have been unviable in many areas for decades hence all the closures.

From a €5 pint the government takes ~1/3rd directly.

That's into the coffers. The publican and brewery each take ~1/3rd but face a myriad of operating costs from their 1/3rd.

Then the government get secondary revenue, duty on insurance, rates income etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What I love is people saying pubs havent been raking it in however we are only starting to hear them complaining now after insurance, electricity, heating and basically every overhead they have has sky rocketed which means prior to covid they absolutely were raking it in as the price of a pint has not risen comparatively to the cost of their overheads in that time period and yet its only now after 2-3 years that they have problems.

You refuse to pay it maybe. But lots of us do and are happy with the value we get.

• Advertisement

Well the publicans whinging would suggest otherwise. People are voting with their feet and custom is down according to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Would the new political party being set up by farmers be interested in campaigning to abolish MUP? None of the existing parties seem to think it is much of an issue.

If pubs had been raking it in why have so many closed?

Because they are no longer raking it in. You think a business stay open forever just because it was once profitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

you've obviously never seen the people who go into a pub and ask for a pint of water and then sit down and watch a match and then get up a leave spent zero money in the pub. that's already happening has been for years

atleast with the free coke/0.0 for the designated driver (easy enough to prove really with driving license etc.) there is some money coming in and it would mean that those people are in the pub rather then not. doesn't seem like a bad idea to me really would be worth a shot.

I like a pint but i wont pay the same price for a 0.0 or €4 for a coke so my wife/friend and sit and enjoy a few pints while i cant because i have to drive the car if i could try enjoy a 0.0 for free or €2 that would chaneg my mind.

but i', lucky enough to live within walking distance of a few pubs but its hard to pay €5.50 for a Guinness and €6.90 for a morretti for the night these days. only thing that keeps me going it the craic and social

• Registered Users Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I would direct more of the blame at the suppliers, rather than the typical publican.

The 2-3 large brewers are too dominant.

We know Diagoe charge more in RoI than elsewhere, due to lack of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Either cut costs, or increase revenue.

They are already cutting costs, closing opening later, closing earlier, not opening at all on weekdays.

As for increasing revenue, the option just isn't there.

I've seen pubs try the pool nights, the darts nights, but they never last.

I was replying to a person who seems to think pubs were raking it in until recently. Whereas the reality is pubs having been losing for the past ~20 years as they were non viable. IE not raking it in.

Very true. A lot of "experts" clearly have no idea of what's involved.

I'm aware of 2 pubs that have reopened in villages recently. They were reopened by wealthy people when the last pub closed down.

Not opened to make profit but to keep the community alive as there was literally no other business left on the main street.

Yes some pubs who closed were non viable but many were also still raking it in. I bet if we looked at the stats for restaurants in the same period it would be a pretty similar closure rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Yes, it's true that there are people like that in Ireland.. and every other country.

It's also true that MUP will have ZERO effect on them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

And yet it was those people ie problem drinkers MUP was claimed to be targeted at

That will have to await the research which is being done to inform the "sunset" clauses in the legislation. Despite a commonly made remark that alcoholics will always find the money to feed their habit, in some cases that will not be true. And taking very very cheap alcohol off the market will have the effect of reducing consumption for some.

Review of operation of section 13 to 20

21. The Minister shall, not later than 3 years after the commencement of this section, carry out a review of Sections 13 to 20.

They will always find a away to feed an addiction. Whether it be with alcohol or another vice. It's that simple and I think that should be accepted. If they can find 6 euro or 7 euro for a pint multiples times of the day everyday of the week then raising the price of a can in the off license will have no effect on them at all. They were the ones that are the target of this nonsense. Instead it ends up penalising people who enjoy a few beers at home.

Of course MUP will bring down alcohol consumption. Just not amongst the cohort of problem drinkers that were the target. But heyho AAI will run with that as a win.

It may be simple to you, but I do not accept that you have knowledge of the whole population to come up with that conclusion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I think you mean that the poster is talking nonsense, again. Who could forget this excellent own goal from earlier in the year:

Never did admit their mistake though. Read into that what you will.

They let you in charge of moderation. Things have reached a sorry pass.

No give with you at all. Posters opposed to MUP readily admit that MUP will bring alcohol sales down and possibly consumption down. What we agree on is that it wont impact the problem drinkers and they wont see the light that AAI are trying to force down their throats.

The people who will reduce consumption are the ones who choose to put a few bob in the credit union or have a holiday or a takeaway instead of paying a kings ransom for a few cans. MUP wont impact the problem drinkers who cause social issues and clog up the health system as a result of alcoholism.

Im sure yourself ,AAI and even vintners lobbies will cook the stats to show us otherwise but most know that reports are fake. When anti mup posters produce their own evidence you will dismiss it.

You just cant admit that that AAI's intentions are more about being kill joys and nosey neighbours than for the sake of the nations health. They are curtain twitchers. Id love to know how many of them are tee total.

You've ran out of any credit around these parts.

• Advertisement

Stop saying stuff like "what we agree on". Especially about things you make up in your head.

Advertisement