Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine Destroying Rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

You said you've never taken it, so how do know it's sh it? Have you ever wondered why it's roughly worth its weight in gold?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Drug gangs terrorising rural Ireland - loans to pay drug debts are more popular than car loans or student loans in credit unions .

easy for the large extended drug dealing families have new cars , horses for their communions and massive headstones when they are destroying rural ireland often in towns and villages where Alan Shatter of Fine Gael closed or downgraded garda stations in 2013 handing control of communities to large extended criminal families . County Limerick been the perfect example .

A good reason why legalisation should be tried. Get these people out of the business. I've said before, pub or off-license owners don't seem to threaten alcoholics or their families for unpaid debts and the drug they sell kills more people than coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Ireland ranks 2nd in Europe for highest cocaine usage between ages of 15 - 34.

Depending on your social circle (and age) you will more than know too well about this. I’m a middle class man in my mid thirties with a successful career and a family living in a nice part of south county dublin.

It’s easier for me to think of people don’t do it than do.

What can we do about this in Ireland? The trend in 15-34 does not paint a bright future for our country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,913 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's all the boards mods and their hookers.

This site did a lot to trivialize and normalize coke tbh, however inadvertently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lots of well off people in SoCoDu imbibe too OP. You can do coke from time to time and live a normal life. Most people get sick of the hangovers and try to steer clear of it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

ah

but we rank no1 for shittest cocaine in europe too so they both balance each other out

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

merged

• Registered Users Posts: 20,581 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Have you learned nothing frrm the past 40 years ,

You ask " What can we do about this in Ireland ".........we can do Nothing , if a person decides to put drugs in there body that is there choice & me you,the Garda ain't going to stop them,

If your worried about your children make sure they grow up happy with a fulfilling life & with goals, speak to them & be honest about drugs recreational use, To many people are afraid to bring it up , talk to them tell them ye people do it & they seem to enjoy it but its normally because there life is unfulfilled & they are struggling in other parts of life, it takes them away for them few hours on a Saturday night but life is worse the next week & its rinse & repeat,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,581 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Obviously i'm not a fan of dealers but lets not forget the drug dealer who is calling looking for the money is the one with the much higher risk of getting shot or killed because little jimmy & his mates can't pay him back , he then can''t pay off his boss who is usually more ruthless than him ,

The lad on the street ,pubs & clubs taking the drugs are not free from blame , they are not victims ,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All the time funding the murderous cartels. Meanwhile people trying to find the disappeared in Mexico are now being disappeared themselves.

But as long as people here, rural and urban, get their noseful, that's all that matters, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The impact of Cocaine is everywhere in rural ireland at this stage , small towns like Ennistymon Co Clare having shootings and gangs of masked travelers attacking each other over the cocaine trade in north and west Clare shows how deep the issue has become .

When Alan shatter and Fine Gael closed and downgraded most garda stations in rural ireland a decade ago they handed over control of many towns and villages to criminals .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Of my neighbours in north Kildare 2 of them (1 in his late 50s, 1 late 40s) “respectable” types had a full physical fight in the garden of the house last wkend over Coke debts. It has gone absolutely nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

You are not dealing like for like though T. It's never going to be legalised. The base cartels in South America will only deal in the US dollar. The illegal trade at the very least estimate at their end is worth $40 Billion per annum, it's definitely higher. If you think that the American establishment is going to give up that yearly business done with their currency and then allow it to be handed it over to some pharma corporation who pays all its tax in some other country, you're dreaming.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Never say never, unless you've a crystal ball. Ian Paisley used that word a lot and look what he ended up doing. 40 billion? How many billions, some say trillions, have the US spent (wasted) trying to eradicate cocaine and failed.

The people who use coke care as much about the disappeared in Mexico as supporters of the War of the Drugs, very little. If prohibitionists cared so much about those Mexican victims, then they should support a change of law instead of judging users on their so-called lack of morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A comparison between what was a local, political/ religious issue in Northern Ireland, and the global cocaine trade is idiotic, do you think should we get Bertie on board to solve the cocaine problem

Wondered who would be the first to be butt hurt. It's very funny that many users go out of their way to buy "ethical" and "sustainable" products but have a blind spot when it comes to their party powder.

The NI Peace Process looked lot more difficult than legalising cocaine. People are growing, cultivating and distributing it globally anyway, despite prohibition, which hinders/obstructs that process. It would be "idiotic" not to try it. What are people afraid of, police not using valuable resources intercepting their 10% of coke, criminals not getting richer, making the product safer and governments getting tax instead of wasting money trying to prevent its supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

Wasting taxpayers money is nothing new to the American establishment. How much taxpayers money did they waste in Iraq and Afghanistan? Thing is though, the establishment wouldnt look at the billions spent on war on drugs/defence/ invasions as a waste, that money is sent into the MIC, and all the various corporations that produce the weapons/arms. The same corporations who donate the billions back to the Democrats/Republicans come electioneering. Its not a waste. Its a scam.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I’m sure if it was legal, organic and fair trade cocaine would fly off the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Eddie Mullins said that the country does not like to discuss the fact that there are people in politics, media and An Garda Síochána who are habitual drug users – laying the blame instead on poorer people suffering with addiction.

It’s very clear that a market that size relies on, as the Taoiseach would say, ‘people who get up in the morning’ and go to work, it relies on those people to sustain it because the people that we work with in MQI are usually embroiled in poverty,”

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭dmakc

Talking of drug debts - as a complete outsider can someone tell me what this stuff costs to get someone through a night of whatever fun it is? I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

ah maybe dont take coke then? jesus its not that hard, have people any willpower or cop on at all? I have been offered coke loads of times but I always refuse the $hit.

Like the ciggies, many young pups think they'll live forever and they can give it up anytime no problem. Plus the pressure they put on themselves to conform to whatever their mates do. Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

100% agree. its all about following the herd, sad really. Farmers have no business taking coke ffs, its ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

know of a business owner that uses 200-300 euro a day, so.....

just because some of us can resist, some simply cannot, for various different reasons, drug use is very complex, from peer pressure, to underlying psychological and mental health issues, i.e. anxiety and depression related issues etc etc....

....again, peer pressure is extremely complex....

apologies if i already posted this, but this is scary stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

As someone who battled an oftentimes near fatal cocaine addiction for 13yrs, I can assure you that there is a huge difference between the indigenous chewing of coca leaf and cocaine consumption. The difference would nearly be as vast as someone who puts a dollop of white wine into a pasta to someone who lives on the street that panhandles to buy a can of cider when they wake up.

It's no way a misconception that cocaine can have a negative impact on lifestyle, rural or urban. I have worked with the rehabilitation of cocaine addicts for almost a decade, and I can assure you...smarties are not worse for your health.

I have never heard of anyone robbing their own families, selling their bodies to strangers, having regular psychosis or hospitalisations as a result of chewing coca leaf or eating smarties. If you spend an hour in any of the many Cocaine Anonymous meetings that are springing up around Ireland, your delusions would be quickly dispelled by the horror stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...more than likely far more complex issues going on in those relationships, drug use is more than likely just the tip, a lot complex psychological problems going on in this country, and no services available to resolve them.....

Advertisement