Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine Destroying Rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Your drug dealer is most likely not a target of anyone within the district.

If you think you know a big drug dealer in your village then you really don't know who it is.

The really big ones are invisible, they have to be or else.

You only really get prison in Ireland now if you are seen as a genuine danger to society, we haven't the space to be locking up shapers who are dishing out drugs to people who want them. They get hit hard enough when their stash is gone, the biggest danger to drug dealers is other drug dealers, not your average Gard in uniform, or your local station. unless you live near Store Street of course , smiley face.

I would imagine Gardaí have a substantial intelligence on who is moving drugs, they just may not have the resources, or , they may be directed into other specific areas of law enforcement by the Supers. The Drugs squad are doing their job as good as they can. throw in the 100 or so NSU officers and I imagine the Gards are fairly well up on things. Most large quantities are stashed on public land and watched by their owners, busts are nearly always tip offs be it from the NSU or from criminals needing a favour or two.

The ugliest result of drug use across the country is the damage it does to dealers involved in the trade, particularly low level types. It is not as profitable as you might think, the people who make the most are the big jikey ball bags who are basically never touching the stash and apart from the odd night out have no real interest either.

Look out for birds in their 20's, dressed like hookers driving white Beemers. whoever her fella's cousins brothers sisters uncle is etc. but the real dealers love baiting Gards with this as well. most big operations keep it low profile if they can. It is an evil guttersnipe of a game. But the fact remains that its illegality may have led to more casualties than perhaps the game was left to its own. Just saying. The problem is that far too many non users don't understand or even comprehend where the problems exist. Not a popular notion with people who see drugs as a problem, but the fact remains that junckies wouldn't have to steal to feed a habit if the state bought them decent gear and gave it too them for nothing. It would save a fortune on misplaced resources and wipe the dealers out in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So should the government be forcing people with no interest in these matters to take part in detailed discussions?

This is a fairly strained critique. Everything in life is controlled self selection, except maybe prison and illness or death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

Ireland's trouble is that a lot of us think that if you do something and it doesnt harm you then its not a problem ( I am guilty of this myself) be it gambling, drugs, alcohol or any list of vices. It would be like saying, well I saved and got a house no bother surely there cant be a housing crisis. We are so narrow minded as a nation its mad we get anything done.

Until we start tackling problems properly nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Elected representatives, who are already an assembly of citizens, should take full responsibility for their own decisions instead of creating a dummy-parliament of ordinary joe soaps to hide behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

In an ideal world, you're right. But you stop being representative of ordinary people when you start earning over a hundred thousand + expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...its some sh1t job, with excessive hours, maybe some deserve the pay rate!

Maybe some do deserve it, but it's not representative of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Those "joe soaps" don't have to worry about party whips or getting re-elected so they're entirely free to come to decisions based purely on what they think is right. In theory it's not ideal but because of realpolitik they are fulfilling a very useful service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...so how do we compensate those that are willing to do this utter sh1t work?

...fcuk that, i like living, and id rather not attempt a breakdown, thanks....

• Advertisement

In an ideal world, probably treat it like jury service instead. I believe everything is pretty much ran by the civil service anyway.

Theres a couple of massive changes i would make.

No career politicians. Compulsory breaks of one governmental lifetime every time you serve two government lifetimes. That includes serving in local councils. Back to the private sector, or if you were a teacher, back to the teaching sector.

No pension until you're 65 (or whatever the state age is at that time. It's ridiculous that there are 40 something and 50 something year olds on generous state pensions, and working.

Edit: apologies for massively going off topic. I was just answering a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Its useful to anyone wants elected representatives to be able to shimmy past their constituents by deflecting responsibility and confusing people about where it lies. Which is what I object to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I know several once sensible people near me throwing their lives and health away by doing coke too often. It's all well and good doing it the odd weekend, even once a week, but when it turns into a few days a week, then a whole week, things get sour very quickly. It's getting so bad that I'll honestly be keeping away from some of my best friends, as I don't what to go the way they are, as there's far more to life than doing drugs.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I see on the news some scumbag called Alex Bailey from Ramelton in Donegal destroyed the life of an 86 year old woman while high on cocaine. Subjecting the poor woman to 40 mins of violence and dumping her in a bin.

How long did the judge give this violent scumbag? 2 & 1/2 years ffs. So likely out in just over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Many incidents of people off their heads on cocaine doing very violent stuff but plenty here on Boards singing the praises of taking cocaine !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Shocking stuff from that Donegal man visiting the city from Claragh, Ramelton that claimed to be under a drug psychosis but still managed to have the wit to rob her wallet before beating the crap out of her. Should have stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Legal drug abuse e.g. benzos are the main problem for the middle class in those countries. Not meth for housewives, don't be ridiculous.

Vast majority of Middleclass in those East Asian ountries wont touch illegal drugs , extremely harsh sentencing and jail environments and no need cos they get from the docs/sleep clinics anyway.

Meth abuse is not rampant amongst.the middle class, its a working class and strert people thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Playing devils advocate…If the state buys junkies gear..

what do they do for joyriders and car thieves. ? Buy them each a car, pay for them to learn to drive ? Bi monthly trips to mondello at the taxpayers expense ?

burglar ? 2500 a month tax free SW payment. ? Deter his robbing ?

why is the whole concept of ‘responsibility’ so unfashionable all of a sudden ?

Do something wrong… pay the price….is seriously gone out of style …. The fact is people now balk at that concept….

country used to be of a critical mindset that being on the straight and narrow guaranteed you better…

now ? Not so much, being on the straight and narrow guarantees you pay for every other fûcker to have it better and you get crumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

It also said he had an alcohol problem, CCTV recorded him in a number of pubs that night. He's not like any coke-user I know, the HRB estimated 72,000 took it in the previous 12 months, how many of them did anything like that. Please don't tar us all with the same brush. In your OP you said a man broke 6 of this mother's teeth 'cos she wouldn't pay for his coke. I don't know any user who would even tell their mothers they take it, let alone ask her to pay for it, then viciously assault her for refusing????

Car theft and burglary involve a non-consenting victim, when a person takes drugs they DO consent, big difference. Also people get enjoyment from drugs, nobody enjoys being burgled or having their car stolen. Regarding giving heroin to addicts, we already give them methadone (heroin substitute), they can get clean needles from Merchants Quay, injection rooms are coming here soon and some countries like Switzerland give actual heroin to addicts. They call it treatment or harm reduction but it's also legalization with a false moustache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

i have lived in rural Ireland all my life. currently living in a medium sized provincial town. i have never encountered cocaine. maybe i dont go out so much, or maybe i live a sheltered life.

still that is my experience and long may it be.

Yes, I know many non coke users and they've never had a problem staying away from it. Nobody has ever put it into their beer or coffee when their backs are turned. On Newstalk earlier they were saying how easy it is to get it, but it's even easier to avoid.

Post edited by Tomaldo on

I think we need a new approach, that is my entire sentiment.

If you keep doing what you did you keep getting what you got.

Long term Heroin abusers are not joyriding.... they gave that up years ago in fairness to them?

Negativity will only interfere with any potential solutions to our drug problem. But it is unarguable that taking the cat out of the pigeon coop, will at least stop their feathers molting all over the shop? I am not advocating a roll out of a subsidised pipe smoking arrangement either. But if the management of maybe 2-3000 heroin addicts could also be fused with eradicating the benefits of profiteering from its' trade, well then that would at least deter dealers from getting involved. They are solely turning a profit on the basis of its' illegality.

At the very least, the proper roll out of a free heroin scheme ( not methadone btw, i am talking proper organic opiate ) would at least remove the reality of dealers generating that wealth?

As long as the politicians in power, are prepared to faff about not engaging our drug problem with the enthusiasm it requires ... the longer, long term addicts will be forced to suffer. Asking Chronic heroin users to get with the programme and clean up their act, is tantamount to not demanding that they expect a better future.... because they are not valued correctly, if they are at all?

Would you not prefer to give medium sized provincials the option?

Would never happen in a city like Dublin. At least urban junckies respect the elderly?

THEY consent truth, but society doesn’t consent to their fallout……or the fallout from drugs in general. Society is a victim, totally.

If dealers develop a more sophisticated product ? What then. ? All of a sudden.. ‘state H’ is a sorta stop off gateway drug. Coke no different.

heroin users, Coke users are valued, it’s their choices that are not and other activities of a criminal nature…. They are suffering for their choices, not suffering because of the state or fellow citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I'm part of the same society as you, we're both Irish, Dubs, yeah? I don't feel like a victim 'cos somebody else is taking coke, it doesn't affect me or you adversely, it's their body, their choice. The thing that bothers me is the LAW on drugs. On the Gangland Shootings thread here, posters have described the type of people who run this business and that's one of the main reasons why the law should be changed.

• Advertisement

It is not about the product which is being abused. It is about managing its consumption safely and ensuring that users have options.

There are far more people enjoying drugs than people suffering from addiction issues. I would estimate 90% of drug users enjoy what they are doing, at the very least.

The largest obstacle to progressive change on a strategy around developing a better approach to dealing with drug abuse is naivety of non drug users who live different lifestyles. They don't agree with users, they look down on them, they live in fear of the issue and associate with all the worlds harms. Everything just gets dumped on drug abuse. Poor degenerate person scabbing money on the boardwalk - drugs are the reason - man batters his partner - it was the drugs that made him do it - etc etc.....

Ibiza will host a walk though of around 400,000 tourists a week for the next 4 months - lets call say 7 million drug users, do you reckon they don't like what they are doing?

Advertisement