Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine Destroying Rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Look how China dealt with its opium problem. Offer help to people to get off it and ask them nicely……then tell them not so nicely.

Yep crazy money to be made in Rehabilitation and addiction services. There are little to no positive result out of them. The money needs to be spent in after hours clubs and sports services.

Well if they are dead they are unlikely to reoffend but you cant take that chance 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So what generally happens is that someone else takes their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,091 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was it being done openly in a pub or hotel venue, you would think more discreet like in the toilet

I was shocked seeing an off duty AGS member and her mate doing coke in a ladies toilet one night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Alexus25

So glad I don't do drugs, I'm so sheltered, I wouldn't even realise if someone was on them

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

You can easily enough tell when coke is in the mix

The breakneck speed they chat etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gonna be some fun when the wheels start falling off for middle aged professional "respectable" people who would never think of themselves as addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭foxsake

well they do a lot of of that in africa.

slavery, drugged child labour , civil wars … so yes.

I didn't realise we had level of exploitation but whatever keeps you in denial or on the moral high ground , I'm not sure where you sit tbh .

Your exploitation is more noble than mine …. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Doc07

Levels? Deliveroo drivers are probably exploited but I think that’s another level compared to a Mexican or Columbian getting blown up or their heads chopped off.
    it’s a thread about cocaine and you introduced the whataboutery on fast fashion and cobalt. If there is only exploitative practice and no ‘fair trade ‘ at all in fashion and mining then fair enough but I’m not sure that’s true, but open to correction. I am fairly sure there is absolutely no ‘fair trade’ cocaine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Alexus25

Ooh thats interesting, thanks for that, one thing I know now anyway

You clip your toenails? As long as you keep them trimmed they arent a problem? This is how China made hard decisions to save its nation from Opium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Are you on about Mao? You know he didn't have a great track record in general with social reforms right? It's generally not a menu that you get to pick from with these kinds of leaders.

If you want someone to come down hard on drug dealers and drug addicts those probably won't be the only people whose rights they'll be riding roughshod over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Do you know where China ranks on opiate use?

74th.

Behind Sweden, and incredibly, The Netherlands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_prevalence_of_opiates_use

I take it you no longer admire the Chinese approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Deregos.

My brother in laws usage is getting more prominent of late, I don't think his wife knows he does coke. I can tell from his eyes and demeanour that he's even using during the day now, and while hes at work. Hes offered it to me several times on nights out drinking, and a couple of times I've taken it with him but I doesn't appeal to me.

I'm worried about him and would love him to quit before the inevitable bad **** happens and his life begins to fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Nope I never mentioned Mao. This was after they made peace with the British after the Boxer rebellion and Imperial China had to sign over Hong Kong, allow inland maritime customs customs houses. I am heading to the sack now but I will reference it tomorrow. This was well before Mao's time. Karl Marx probably was only starting out.

I did not know that China was ranked that low.I am talking about 150 years ago. Its because they took those steps back then they still have a nation today. Yes I still admire the Chinese approach. I hate addicts and dealers with equal contempt. Addict for having no moral fiber to fill their lives with something positive and dealer to prey on the weak and simpletons. I personally would not have waited to use the softly softly approach that the Chinese empire used at the start.

I have not faith in rehabilitation. The money time resources and risk of relapse arent worth it. Being sensible You could save 200 kids on minimal cost for after school activities for the cost of saving a worthless addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Youre embarrassing yourself talking about addicts and rehab with no clue

I'm sure Senator Lynn Ruane would be open ears 🙄

Shame your mind is so closed.

• Advertisement

You pick the one in 100,000 that got out, but you forget about 99,999 that didnt.

Yes I do know who she is, yes I have seen her speak and she is an impressive speaker but totally batshyte about allowing 16 year olds to vote, legalising drugs and what not. I hold her in the same high regard as Senator Flynn.

Post edited by SupaCat95 on

I know plenty about addiction. Both personally and professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Professionally? Did you manage to challenge someone's lack of moral fiber or what was it?

Was at a talk by a former heroin addict connected with my profession. Told the same auld sob story yadda yadda, got into the hash then the pills before long I was on the heroin. No mention of books, sports, interests. Now I grew up as poor as they come but I still dragged myself up. Now looking at my wifes nephew has everything twice over and is showing signs of addiction in his teens. His paternal Uncle is a junkie. I warned the parents it would happen.

Sure ya do. What training have you undergone that informed you that all people need are to get into sport?

It's a complete fallacy.

oh none of that woke crap that addiction is a "Public health problem", addict are not criminal but victims. Nobody shoved a needle in their arm. They all came willingly and curious. Oh I am not a sports person I am a book person and social type of person. I am always busy in my free time either going out at night to meetings or preparing for meeting (nothing to do with my day job). Its about how people give up and say poor poor me and go down the road of addiction, instead of working out how to get out of a hole. I witnessed it first hand in my own house.

I am trained in the health sector and still training and probably always will be training. It was when King Solomon said "I have enough done now", the state of Israel fell.

People will tell you the whole time, the war on drugs is lost doing it the hard way. Maybe it is, I dont know but the softly softly approach is definitely a loser approach. Cut away the dead loss and protect who we can actually save.

When you categorise people as "dead loss", there's no hope with you. Sorry. Try and have some empathy.

Edited: What do you mean by "woke crap"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

We have a long and troubled history with people in this country saying "Things aught to be this way. Anyone who doesn't meet the accepted moral standard is a failure and there is no need for society to consider them apart from scorning and shaming them"

That kind of thinking led to:

• Teenage mothers being forced into Magdalene laundries
    • The outlawing of Divorce
    • The outlawing of Homosexuality
    • The outlawing of Abortion

You haven't been explicit about what your plans with addicts are but it sounds like you're following the above tradition. It failed then at the cost of countless pain & misery and it will fail now.

I am a big fan of John Wayne, "life is hard, its harder when you are stupid". If you havent picked up on basic messages by your teenage years that drugs lead to bad places, there is really no hope for you. I got into discussion with a student who thought everyone should pass the course. The failure of a few proves the courses worth. If everyone had this course and it was gained without any effort, the course would be worthless by definition.

What exactly was wrong with those morals?

While you say they lead to misery and what not, the Population has dipped below 1.8 replacement rate. We are dying off. There is a spiking in the number of HIV infections when we thought we had it under control. Families have never been poorer since divorce (one family two homes). Then there is the spike in the prison population, everyone know that people from broken homes are far more likely to end up in the prison system, face addiction than those that come from two parent homes.

You can have a society with some people on the margins or you can an extinct society where there is no future and we get picked off by another society.

Post edited by SupaCat95 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Quitelife

A neighbour in their 50s got a brain aneurysm last week and is now in a vegetative state , doctors put it down to cocaine use and the bloke only started taking cocaine 4 or 5 years ago. Medics are coming out openly now as Cocaine is such a factor, in the past be down to sudden death or unlucky stuff.

Another local cocaine user died from an aneurysm last year , middle aged peoples veins in their brain not able for the blood shooting round their veins , going to see a lot more of these types of deaths according to doctor friend

Advertisement