Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine Destroying Rural Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭patnor1011

and there is crack cocaine which is far cry from "famous global party drug" to get high and "enjoy themselves". I know people who smoke it literaly non stop as "enjoyment" fade rather quickly with prolonged use and "high" lasts only little while.

For every posh cocaine user who like to enjoy themselves there is another one or two crackheads who are trying to enjoy themselves too but with lack of funds they quickly turn to crime to feed the habit. And there lies the problem.

Drug addiction is vicious cycle and hardcore addicts take heron to get rid of pain and then take crack to start moving and then go for heron to calm down and then crack again - doing so pretty much negate effects of each other and resulting in higher tolerance and bigger cost.

I do not think war on drugs can be won, it is excercise in futility and even harsh punisment will not deter users or suppliers as we can clearly see. We should show people how they will look like after few years on drugs when their body starts failing as deterrence may work better. Netherland is not full of pot zombies despite legalizing weed long time ago. We all know couple local drunks and the sight of them probably already put few people off excess drinking or off alcohol drinking completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I once got offered a bag of coke for my lead singer in Limerick (back in ‘07)

On that same show, it was the first time I walked into a bathroom and saw lads doing coke off the sink surround. I had never seen that in Dublin.

I was also offered a line for the rest of my bag of chips 😂

Honestly, it was like coke was some sort of local currency

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Garbage. You can buy a gram of coke in South America for a tenner.

The concept that it is a posh drug is over, it is just a media and naive puritan lefties who manage to blame every thing on the posh.

It is their illegality that enhances their price.

Craic addiction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Dozens dying of drugs, or drug related deaths including suicides every week. There’s nothing much can be done about it. People have to be allowed to choose their own path in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Post edited by JP Liz V1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Probably the same result for that amount. Only difference is it wouldn't be in the news or posted up on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

There is only one way to deal with this is random drug testing at work and instant dismissal. Every employer and organisation should be involved that would stop it immediately in my opinion. O I didn't read the whole tread so some body could have suggested this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Jaysis.

Will we scan the barcodes that we’ll get tattooed on the back of our necks while we’re at it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

well done 🤡

your plan is to penalise the people who actually pay taxes.

I think there is a flaw in your plan

Post edited by foxsake on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...this approach is clearly workable, those that chose to remain non drug users, will clearly pay significantly higher taxes, in order to facilitate this....happy days....

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Never taken the stuff myself but unfortunately i know a few former friends who do regularly (im in my 50's) and they are the biggest bores when taking it, hence the reason they are former friends. Jut seems to be a drug for complete and utter di ckheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It's a bit radical all right and never going to happen as the decision makers and high society are prone to the odd bag of coke themselves, I don't mind anyone that takes it but it's the hidden industry and the multi millions it makes for the scumbags that are controlling the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

maybe it's you.... or maybe it's just they were dic ks tpo begin with... like people react differently with booze (for example) ...why would all user react the same - dickheads as you say.

Great reason to legalise it and tax it then.

Sh*te reason to punish tax payers and get them on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,581 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its every where these days,

Back 20 years ago lads would keep it quite & only tell other's doing it if they had some, Now in football group wats app up & down the country lads are happy post pictures of bags they got for the night or even a bag & a beer mid week,

Its absolutely every where & nobody even tries to hide it,

I know lads who use them 10 euro smell odour free bags to take it away on holidays as there afraid of getting " bad" stuff away,

Imagine risking your career in some cases to bring that shite through an airport,

Thankfully its never something i got caught up doing ,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

..or maybe the majority of us live in reality and realise, we dont actually want to live in some sort of dystopian authoritarian state!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

It's never going to be legalised. The entire cocaine trade in South America is dealt with the dollar of the United States of America. Your talking about a business that arguably, at the very least, makes up to 30 - 40 Billion per anum, all channeled through the dollar. If you think the yanks are going to let some outside European chemical company take away any of that business for their own ends, your dreaming. Its always going to be illegal.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Absolutely it would, he’d probably have a better chance of getting off were that the case realistically

Not sure what your general point is anyway, what middle class people are “let off” with crimes? Presumably yer man in question has no criminal record at all up to now

How many fellas from underprivileged backgrounds get off every day due to their “difficult upbringing”? A lot more I’ll tell you that much

• Advertisement

Ben Dunne was the boss of a big company when he was caught with it, would he have been in favour of your idea. Was he the only CEO who took it? Don't forget, the "Big Fella" had strong FFG connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Some historian was able to show that "soccer hooligan"-like gangs fighting each other have always existed going back to medieval times. It wasn't really a crisis in the 70s to 90s - just a tabloid media phenomenon.

English people also had opium-eating in the 19th century, as drug-taking isn't all that new either.

To give a technical answer to your question, yeah you can have 25,000 people dancing in one place be criminals or 1 million criminals in London if what they're doing is a crime. The scale alone doesn't change it.

People have paid good money to see and hear coke-using "di ckeads" like the Stones, Elton John and Oasis. Maradona is a God. I was asked to buy perfume in Spain endorsed by Kate Moss who was photographed having a snort. There's evidence William Shakespeare took it, google it. What have you achieved that they'd be jealous of?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

You think Maradona was good at football because he took cocaine or Kate Moss was born beautiful because of it?

I've achieved plenty thanks very much without that sh it.

Yeah but a million people enjoying their yokes is progress.

Ask the ordinary Londoner what the 90's were like, they always start smiling.

It's funny , the Millennium Dome looks like a big super sized ecstasy tablet. Rumour has it that David Cameron was a total fiend for pills? I could see him sitting there on a deck chair, with his posh pattern mates, chomping away to trip hop and mad professor in the chill out room. Danny Rampling met them all. I remember seeing Ray Houghton in the System one night, dancing away with Eamon Dunphy and if I am not mistaken Terry Venables. The three of them swilling on cans of Ritz swinging their hips like three bad mice to Positive Education.

Now all we're left with is buying tickets for fooooking COLDPLAY. That happened and is happening. You can deny climate change, but there is no denying the banality of spending hard earned spondooleys on a ticket to that crap, albeit at least he writes his own virtue signalling patronising drivel. It was all YELLOW.

Thingamajiggies.

God give me style and give me grace, god put a smile upon my face. Can you imagine being married to Gwyneth Paltrow and actually leaving her and getting a divorce, who does that?

e's are good e's are good it's Ebenezer Good. I can see Cameron and George Osbourne gurning away, off their chops. Gurn time at the Eton Alumni annual dinner. Anneka Rice, Frank Bruno and Les Dennis , all at it down in Leicester Square at the Ministry mid summer party. VIP up with the All Saints and the Gallagher's and Shaun Ryder and special guest appearances by Dodi Fayed and the sultan of Brunei's daughter, snogging Russell Brand on MTV Dance. Taylor Swift hadn't even been invented yet. The X Factor was still a smidgeon in the murky corridors of Simon Cowell's split personality. It was all there and somehow it was dropped like your last pill on a Monday morning in Ely place, screaming yeah yeah yeah yeah.

The UCD freshers ball had a great rave tent, it would make the San Siro on Derby day look like the RDS. I remember seeing birds from Sion hill dancing like their was no tomorrow in silver trackies yellow hi Techs and a bra.... and dudes waving scarves doused in vapor rub, high into the fluorescent smoke filled darkness of a circus tent rented off the Duffy's or Chipperfields, that was now the Epicentre of the irish rave scene... until 3am anyways. Techno mavericks and cheese balls all at it. forget the Mansion House , the UCD freshers ball with Altern 8 was where it was at. got any acid hash eee's whiz or speed?

It wasn't just the soccer terraces that benefited, we got peace in the north as well. there was no sectarianism up in Portrush if David Holmes was up, or Bob Mimms or Andy Weatherall, plenty hitting the Kings hall for Orbital or the Cream tour. Carl Cox nearly collapsed in the Mezzanine in the Red box, it was maybe a tenner in, place was heaving. That mad house on Sackville street, hello there. oi Oi Oi. Unknown Pleasures.

Bjork would literally eat Chris Martin if she got half a chance. she would probably gobble Taylor Swift up for the sake of it, to protect the balance of our big time sensuality.

I saw sparks.

PS - if Chris Martin manages to nail Taylor Swift, like properly snag her bigtime, it will officially be the most disturbing incident in humankind since the Holocaust. Celebrity couples are more likely to cause global warming than people dancing till dawn on a beach in Thailand. It is al overrated, when compared to the ground breaking, evolutionary game changer, that is the invention of 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine. It is culturally iconic, here we are still discussing its' social benefits nearly 30 years later.

I dropped less names in the last 4 paragraphs than the amount of yokes I chewed bitterly at Billy Nasty on Ormonde key. I pretended to swim to the East Link to catch the dawn, it was hysterical, you had to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

"Trashbag millionaires take it so shure ur only jealous"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭francois

Ran a lot of those raves in UCD, great nights. Good points about the Kings Hall, out dancing with lads from loyalist areas, nobody cared who or what you were.

Feel sorry for those who never experienced that world where your life wasn't lived through social media.

I do think that when coke came into the rave scene, it killed a lot of the loved up vibes.

You were a great DJ Frank, the UFO was a great night. I remember you dropping Sacred Cycles into the middle of some Tresor classic around 1995, hands in the air rushing like a Tie Fighter on apples from Amsterdam. You were great at spinning a good rave up, fair play.

Around the corner from Windmill lane ? UFO or unknown pleasures. They were stomping nights.

that mad German or euro trance tune you might finish with, deh deh deh deh , deh deh deh deh , deh deh deh deh etc

It was a proper scene. The only club open in Dublin late last night was leggs. full of cokeheads and drunk people, it needed an entire page of strawberry LSD.

Getafix.

the best club in Dublin now is fibbers , I mean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭francois

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats it precisely.

Boozing, snorting, gambling - they may all be addictions but they begin with individual choice. And I've never met a drinker yet who hasnt managed to kick it without ultimately a personal choice.

If you try to help someone and its thrown back in your face, thats on them.

If you try to help someone again and its thrown back in your face, thats on you honestly.

To the story of the woman and her son in the OP, I have all the sympathy in the World for what must be her anguish, her grief, her confusion at what has become of her son. But on day one, a year prior, what she should have said was "I will help you, but not with money for more coke." And when that was thrown in her face in whatever fashion, boyo would have been out of the house and fending for himself until that survival instinct, that personal choice, kicked in.

We all deserve a chance. One.

But no blameless person deserves to suffer for the too many chances they have given us.

Advertisement