Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would the likes of Val Andrews and Paddy Christie be considered if Dessie called it a day? Also Paul Curran, Mick Deegan or Jack Sheedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Paddy Christie has got some intercounty experience managing Tipp and Longford. Ger Brennan has intercounty experience with Carlow. Darren Daly is not long finished playing and was with Dessie this year. Then you have the likes of Jayo and Philly Mac. And maybe down the line some of our current team will go into coaching and management. I cannot see us going outside the county anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭mobby

Simple Question Yes or No. On the day at that time was it the correct decision in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,197 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No idea. I didn’t see the lead up and it isn’t the issue that chairman had.

He had issue with the inconsistency where this is going on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,349 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Val Andrews - there is a name from the past that I have not heard mentioned for years. I don't think he would have the profile even though he managed Louth plus Cavan - has senior inter-county management experience. From what I remember talking to a few Louth fans when he was there. I don't think they took to him. No idea about what Cavan people thought of him.

Paddy Christie - I think he would be a more popular choice compared to Val Andrews given his profile, he is doing senior intercounty with Longford as well.

There is the Ballymun connection - maybe he could talk James McCarthy into staying for one more year? If ever there was a fella that could convert McCarthy to a badly needed FB - (if Fitzsimons leaves) Paddy would be the right man for the job

Paul Curran - he would have massive profile anyway and has managed Ballymun - so there will be that connection which could help as above. But he has not managed senior inter-county

Jack Sheedy - would definitely have the profile he would be hard to miss, had his stint Managing Longford was a decade ago.

I have no idea what Longford people thought of Jack Sheedy's tenure as Manager - or what they think of Paddy Christie as current manager- I suppose the Longford fans would be the people to ask - did Sheedy do a decent job- is Christie doing a good job?

Mick Deegan - again definite profile but no intercounty management - is managing in 'enemy territory' with Ashbourne - has the connection with Jim Gavin as selector- so that continuity would be nice

Johnny Magee - is another name you could add to your list - had a stint managing Wicklow at senior intercounty level there three years 2015 -2018. Again, I have no idea if he did a good job to be honest, because success and improvement are all relative to the level of players available.

--

Off that list I suppose the most experienced candidate would be Val Andrews. And profile wise the highest profile would be Paul Curran I would say. But it is food for thought anyway.

I am sure the Dublin County Board have some list somewhere. But I would only be guessing on who who would get the Dublin job - if it becomes vacant again. There is no 'stand out' candidate IMO.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Seadin

When is the last time anyone in Kerry didn't take a defeat badly? normally they blame refs and players from the opposition when they lose, it's rare they will admit that there team wasnt good enough on the day. Dublin outclassed them in 2023. Kerry had the better team on paper I thought but when was a game won on paper? I'm sure like they had bitter hatred for Tyrone because they couldn't beat them in the 2000s when Kerry had one of their greatest teams. They will start hating Dublin even more now. 4 All Ireland defeats to Dublin since 2011. That will hurt and this one especially . Kerry fans I knew were brushing aside Dublin 2023 team and that they wouldn't come close to this Kerry team this time around.Kerry had to beat Dublin in 2022 with last minute SOS free. They were barely hanging on at that stage only for that. Kerry will beat Dublin eventually like Tyrone in 2012 but most of these great Dublin players will be gone off the panel by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Did you dig deep to find that one? A partial extract from an interview as reported by a newspaper rather than a live one?

Remind me what trophy did Mayo win that day that Dessie should have congratulated them on?

Find one of Dessie's live interviews where he disrespected the opponents and didn't talk about how good they were. You will be searching. If you knew the topic, you would be more likely to accuse him of being patronising to opponents because he always talks them up, they gave us a hard test, we knew they would put it up to us, they are a good team etc.

You lose a final, you congratulate the winners. Kerry didn't, neither Jack O'Connor nor their Chairman, just the usual whinging. End of.

Gough's error was not to award a free out to Dublin as Clifford foul on Fitzsimons was first. However, having made an error to award Kerry a free, he could only reverse that to a hop ball. A greater injustice would have been Kerry scoring from that hop ball.

How do you know it was a 'partial' interview?

This is like a primary school stuff, 'He didn't praise me enough' and belittles decent Dub fans who aren't so insecure as to be looking for stuff to get offended about. You won, try to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

Nail on the head.

You would think some Dublin posters are happy their team won another final but no incessant whining about what the opposing manager did or didn’t say in the post match interview.

Here it is if some posters want to get their facts straight where JOC compliments Dublin but obviously bitterly disappointed with the loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Jack O Connor looks a little shellshocked to me. Which is understandable as he's just lost an All Ireland that he felt was there for the taking. He has never been able to win back to back All Irelands with Kerry and you can visibly see the hurt in his face.

'Tis the arrogant among the winners responsible for this. Comes from a base of insecurity I'd imagine. You have them in every organisation...'I'm not getting enough credit' etc etc as everyone else silently throws their eyes to heavenward.

Not all fans are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Nope. Two of them at it was the word he got from the umpires. We have no idea who fouled first.

Its unreal. That and what I can only call David Clifford Derangement Syndrome. They cant seem to deal with the commonly held view that Clifford is the best footballer in the country at the moment.

No issue with an opinion that Clifford is the best footballer in the country at the moment, though I would argue that Brian Fenton is better - whenever a game is in the balance, Fenton rises to the challenge - and others would argue for other candidates, however, the deluded opinion that Clifford is the GOAT based on his achievements to date I do take exception to.

Fair enough. I agree talk of the GOAT is way too premature and years away.

Id have Clifford, but Fenton is a glorious footballer too. A class act on and off the field. Has all the required attributes in spades of a midfielder in his fielding, engine, tackling etc, but with the skill level of any top forward.

He would be my POTY. McCarthy and Clifford didnt go enough for me in the final to get it.

Seems to be some inferiority complex they have with Kerry and it’s players in general.

Over on the Dublin forum some posters going on about the result put Kerry ‘in their place’ whatever that means.

The roll of honour for most All-Irelands still has the kingdom with a firm lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

id say lad the Kerry fans you know are fairweather supporters.... i dont know any Kerry person who didnt rate the Dubs... we are talking about a team that has bucketfuls of all-ireland medals.. guys who have proven they can do it on the big day... exactly like the Limerick hurlers at the moment... they save their best performances for the most important days... you cant coach that.. now i thought Kerry would win but to say we'll start hating dublin even more is nonsensical... as far as i know your Cork and the bitterness by ye towards Kerry is million times worse then any bitterness by Kerry towards Dublin... i certainly dont have it... i mean twasnt dublins fault that gavin white gave away ball for goal or that tom sullivan kicked a garyowen for no reason.. or clifford hit 4 wides under little or no pressure... Dublin had less wides and made less mistakes than Kerry in 2nd half especially and won match... basically they showed more composure - a great sign of a team...

the kerry chairman has a point about umpires.. there are numerous incidents like that in every game and umpires just pretend not to see it.. they cant be just picking and choosing the incidents they see.... personally i would have left play go on... the 2 yellow cards was a joke... he could have picked a better time to say it rather straight after a defeat like that...

the defeats hurt - they should... but apart from dublin 2011 final where we were comfortable and let it slip... we were 2nd best in all other finals... especially '05 against tyrone and '15 against dublin

youd be better off my friend concentrating on your own county team... there are signs the Cork hurlers are coming... although to be fair your not as bitter towards Kerry as Shamobuc... whos posts last Sunday were disgraceful they were so laced with bitterness...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Fair play to Mick Fitzsimons in fairness. Cute head. A less experienced lad would have moaned about it to the ref, and the ref would tell him to shut up. And the umpires would have done nothing (as usual). But by running over to the umpires and shouting and waving the arms, he forced a decision in Goughs head that he should speak to the umpires, and then overruled his own decision. A huge moment in the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

The roll of honour for most All-Irelands still has Kerry with a firm lead, indeed it does

But thankfully the gap is closing and Kerry havn't beaten Dublin in an All Ireland final since 1985 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Seadin

Would you say Kerry were second best in 2019? That's game was there for the taking too by Kerry. Probably had a chance there of coming away with a victory in my view in the first game.

I have no hatred of Kerry like you said, I like Kerry football actually and attend alot of Kerry championship games as there is always a great buzz about it and highly competitive. I try to keep up on Kerry GAA as much as Cork GAA as I have a divided interest in both counties, Yes I know Cork haven't won anything in a long time but I can only hope they come back again soon on both codes. We always get reminded of that by the Kerry fans and friends with a bit of banter.

When I say that Kerry fans can be bitter, I was in Killarney the day of the ROK and I was watching the Kerry v Tyrone game on the big screen in car park. I couldn't get over the amount of Kerry fans that were shouting "lets beat these fc@kers out the gate now" when Seanie O Shea scored the 2nd goal. Every horrible thing towards Tyrone. It was real bitterness. Many of the Kerry guys I know said afterwards you couldn't beat that shower by enough. I wondered have Tyrone really ruffled their feathers that much that they hate them that much? They obviously don't like you when you are beating them. Tyrone have beaten Kerry 4 times since 2000. But Kerry have also beaten Tyrone 4 times since 2000. I don't understand it. I would have thought is was a respectable rivalry between the two counties but it's more than that. It's bitterness.

Coming up to the final some of my Kerry friends were cautious of Dublin but many others were super confident and thought Dublin hadn't a hope this year. I didn't know what they were basing this on. Possibly the fact that Kerry got over the line in 2022 against Dublin and thought they would sail through this time. I didn't believe Dublin would win myself and proved me wrong. This is a great Dublin team and it has to be said whether people like them or not. They have produced the goods time and time again.

Post edited by Seadin on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Who cares, there's a load of bitter gobshites supporting every county, and these are the ones that shout the loudest.

Rivallry is one thing, but i don't pay attention to anyone actively revelling in the defeat of any other team. Its pathetic stuff, esp when their entire participation is watching on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

the kerry chairman has a point about umpires.. there are numerous incidents like that in every game and umpires just pretend not to see it.. they cant be just picking and choosing the incidents they see.... personally i would have left play go on... the 2 yellow cards was a joke...

But thats not how it played out.

Gough gave a Kerry free because he saw Fitzsimons tangle with Clifford, then Fitzsimons reaction gave him enough pause to make it worth asking the umpires opinion. The umpire told him what he had seen, which was that Clifford started it. At point he has already stopped play so has to restart it somewhere, but it would be disgracefully unfair to continue with a Kerry free knowing that the Kerry man was the offender. The only real option available is what he did.

The umpires didn't pick and choose anything, had Gough not went to them they would have stood and done **** all like they always do.

If the Kerry chairman doesn't understand that then he may not be suited to the role.

The last two sentences of your post really sum up where we are:

This is a great Dublin team and it has to be said whether people like them or not. They have produced the goods time and time again.

They also explain the extra bitterness from Kerry supporters this time out. This wasn't just a normal loss to Dublin, this was confirmation that this Dublin team are the greatest the game has seen and eclipse the 1975-1986 Kerry team.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,349 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The RTE Podcast - three journos, Ciaran Whelan and Tomas O'Se dissect the AI and the implications going forward

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Your team won an AI and you still can’t be gracious in victory.

This imaginary ‘Kerry bitterness’ only exists in your head.

Better hope Clifford doesn’t get PoTY or else I feel for your mental state!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

Yes. He was Jim Gavin no 2 up to 2015 but then had to step away due family commitments. How did it go with Ashbourne?

The Clifford campaign for PoTY reminds me of the Mayo campaign for David Clarke (remember him?) to get an All-Star ahead of Cluxton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I doubt Clifford himself cares if he wins POTY or not.

I don't know why it's such a talking point this year. Most years it fly's under the radar.

Gooch never won it.

Advertisement