Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options
1174175176177178180»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭MacDanger

In general, Kildare can be considered to be an underachiever considering their population, etc. but this year they finished 2nd in their group and made the knockout stages. They'd have been disappointed to lose at home to Monaghan I'd say but overall, I think they were at par for the championship.

Galway probably the biggest underachievers this year IMO - after pushing Kerry close last year, pretty much everyone would have expected them to be in the last 4 this year but instead they went out at the same stage as Kildare.

Mayo & Tyrone going out at the QF stage is about right I'd say although the manner of defeat makes it feel like an underachievement for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Cork are on an upward swing. I agree. I'm from Kerry and we actually want Cork to be strong but obviously we want to beat them.

I just mean over the last 10 years, they've been underachieving.

They should be reaching AI finals, league finals etc. Winning minors, U20s.

Roscommon have been overachieving relative to their population.

They've won Connaught championships, AI minors, getting to 1/4 finals regularly etc.

69,000 is a tiny population. That's less than 1/20th of Dublin and 1/8 of Cork.

The same goes for Monaghan. It'll be interesting to see how Offaly do cos they're investing a lot in coaching but there also a dual county.

Sligo are on an upward swing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Dubs women looking very good here. Killing Kerry

Women against girls so far. Game could be over early. Great football from the dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blowitupref

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

Mickey Harte stepped down from louth n apparently heading to Derry. Gave louth a good bump during his tenure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

All stars confirmed tonight. David Clifford won player of the year.

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)

Conor McCluskey (Derry)

Michael Fitzsimons (Dublin)

Tom O'Sullivan (Kerry)

James McCarthy (Dublin)

Gareth McKinless (Derry)

Conor McCarthy (Monaghan)

Brian Fenton (Dublin)

Brendan Rodgers (Derry)

Paudie Clifford (Kerry)

Sean O'Shea (Kerry)

Enda Smith (Roscommon)

David Clifford (Kerry)

Shane McGuigan (Derry)

Colm Basquel (Dublin)

5 Dublin

4 Kerry

4 Derry

1 Monaghan

1 Roscommon 

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

Great to see a few non AI winners -runners up on the list, fair play and well deserved to McGuigan, Rodgers, Mccarthy, Rodgers and Enda Smith who are all brilliant role models and hero's to the young boys and girls of their county's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

not sure how clifford got player of the year!! fenton should feel hard done by

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭munster87

It was the penalty against Cork that tipped it in Clifford’s favour imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Trampas

I thought it was beating the football power house of Clare

• Advertisement
Advertisement