Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's hottest day since records began

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,339 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Does it really? We're not talking about binary readings here. There is zero percent chance that the data is so wrong that actually, these temperatures are all completely normal and there's nothing to be worried about

There is zero percent chance that the data is wrong and actually it's colder than normal

The only uncertainty is how high above normal we actually are at this point in time

There is also very very low uncertainty about whether these observations represent a peak in the trend, there is almost 100% certainty that as long as CO2 emissions keep increasing, the global average temperatures will continue to increase

Consider an analogy

You've been to your doctor to get some blood work done. Your doctor calls you the next day to say your liver function results are abnormal and that he's concerned and wants you to go for a scan and further blood tests for further investigation

What do you do?

a) presume that everything's grand because you haven't had the scan or follow up blood tests and carry on completely as normal

b) follow your doctors advice and cut out alcohol completely until you get the all clear

You might do a, thinking that you're immune from consequences, but in the long term, there's absolutely no point in waiting until you get a diagnosis of liver failure confirmed and then feeling sorry for yourself because it's too late to reverse the damage at that stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The simple answer to your simple questions is, The world will continue to heat up.

The AMOC is a current that distributes heat from the equator to the northern Hemisphere (and in turn, cycles back nutrients and essential parts of the food web from fertile regions in the north back to the tropical regions)

Disrupting the AMOC will prevent the heat from leaving the tropics, and cause ocean temperatures in the North atlantic to cool down, which will have several consequences

1. Much hotter temperatures in the tropics, which will have huge consequences on everything from Monsoons, to Coral Bleaching, to Hurricanes, to flash flooding events to droughts, to mass extinctions of marine species and migrations of species who can escape the hotter temperatres etc
    2. Colder water temperatures in the North, which could lead to much colder winters in the north atlantic, and much hotter summers as the AMOC prevents extreme temperatures from building up in the North Atlantic sea surface (although it has failed to do this effectively this year as we saw the hottest SSTs on record by a significant margin which coincided with the weakest AMOC since records began)

The ultimate consequences for Ireland, are more difficult to predict. The models are less reliable the further we go into unprecedented territory. They cannot be validated based on historical conditions when you're talking about unprecedented climatic conditions (in the instrumental record)

Is this a good thing? Absolutely not. Yet 'skeptics' celebrate the uncertainty because they think it means they're winning the argument, unless scientists can say what will happen with certainty, then that means their own discredited opinions are still plausible. In reality, the version of reality inhabited by climate change deniers has long since diverged from the observations and none of their predictions have ever been accurate.

Thus they're left only with shouting about inaccurate tabloid headlines from 50 years ago while completely ignoring all of the times their side said 'climate change has ended' over the past 3 decades.

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I mean you know what they say about averages. Especially incremental cganfes as abover over a relatively short recording period.

It's as clear as the nose on my face that no material change to irelands climate has happened in 100 years let alone 30.

According to the article poster magicbastarder10 linked to the east is 3/4% wetter. You activists need to get your stories straight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

like i said last night, i am treating the utterances of someone with a stupid username on a discussion forum, with the gravity the context deserves. well done on your analysis.

If you say you have witnessed no change to Ireland's climate in your lifetime, either you're very young, or you've not been paying very close attention

Ireland has had very significant changes to our climate, including increases in the intensity of rainfall

Overall Ireland's rainfall has increased by about 5%. But there have been increased periods with no rainfall with more intense precipitation events

Basically, more droughts in summer, and more heavy rainfall events in winter.

We've also seen increased average temperatures, mostly during winter, where the number of frost days has decreased significantly over the past 30 years and we have had a longer growing season. This might seem like a good thing, but farmers can't send animals to pasture in the early spring if the ground is too wet. In general, Ireland is doing well so far from climate change, but we were never a country where we already suffered from any extreme weather events.

That is not to say that we'll get away with it in the future. If the AMOC shuts down, it could have severe impacts on Irish climate, as well as increased damage from more powerful winter storms, heavier flooding, and the effects of rising sea levels.

And then there's the geo political and economic consequences. Land prices in Ireland are already high, but if we continue to see unbearable living conditions in the southern parts of Europe, we will inevitably see people seeking refuge in more temperate climates. Ireland will see more of our land being purchased by wealthy non Irish citizens to use as summer getaways and there are already huge pressures on affordability and infrastructure that will not be helped at all by these kinds of changes.

And on the other end of the scale, mass displacement of people from north Africa and the Middle East will accelerate as local climates become less and less habitable and that will have considerable geopolitical implications in the coming decades

It's gone from 'don't look up' or 'flat earthers' to how are you not noticing 4% more rain over the past 30 years!!

It's nonsense and that's not even taking into account that there's still no smoking gun to say it's all human driven given there was a time pre human when Ireland wasn't even an island.

But sure look at this 30 year data that proves nothing except we have 30 years of data.

So you've gone from personal experience of not seeing any changes, to being 100% confident that there have been no changes in over a hundred years

Is there a special badge you get for being a centenarian member of Boards.ie?

Also, your derision about averages is misplaced. Averages tend to hide extremes. If me and you are both given 1,000,000 euros to split between the two of us. The average will always be 500k

But If I take all 1,000,000 and give you nothing, that's a very different outcome for you than if we both get 500k each, or you take all the money and give me nothing

The Average increase in rainfall of 5-7% in Ireland represents a drier summer and a wetter winter. And it's also distributed over fewer more extreme rainfall events. It can mean rainfall in the winter can be 20% higher than before, with rainfall in summer being 10% lower. It averages out as an overall 5% increase, but 20% more rainfall over a season is a significant change, especially if that occurs as intense rainfall that damages infrastructure and causes severe economic disruption. While droughts in the summer cause water shortages and animal feed crises that drive up the cost of food production. https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40830509.html#:~:text=ClimAg's%20report%20explained%20that%20the,and%20southeast%20of%20the%20country.

i mean, you don't even seem to be interested in the climate. if you did, you'd have seen that met eireann report being carried across multiple outlets last week - that ireland's climate has shifted - and you'd have known to not confidently assert that there has been no change in our climate.

first it was 'there has been no change' and now it's 'well, yes there has been change, but it's not much'. like i said, your opinions are utterly meaningless.

• Advertisement

i wouldn't bother trying to educate him, he doesn't want to be educated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I'll just point out you're arguing with someone who thinks science is opinion.

That should be enough to disengage

Your just digging a deeper hole for yourself.

Nobody else can be accountable for your own complete lack of awareness of your surroundings. If you're going to engage in a conversation where you're making claims to any kind of expertise, you should at least inform yourself first

It would be like me wading into the soccer forum and start talking about why my favourite Man United player is Eric Cantona cause he scores the most goals.

It would be deeply embarrassing and I would be rightfully laughed out of the place

An ever changing climate is fact. I have never denied that. Hence Ireland not always being an island.

Climate changing catastrophe because of a hot summer in southern Europe is what I'm denying.

I also stand by my assertion that irelands climate has not materially changed to the point of caring or noticing in my lifetime.

Just because we can measure X or Y now in this era doesn't mean we need to overly care about those measurements.

Some of the biggest alarmist on this thread have already stated the accuracy of certain data/readings doesn't matter because something something crops failing/mass migrations something PANIC!!

funny, i usually ignore these threads - the 'playing chess with a pigeon' analogy comes to mind; but i recently started reading this, and he does go into this sort of debate in the book, which piqued my curiosity a little again.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

Yep, I still think inaccurate climate data is a problem.

Anyway, I agree the climate is changing, I don't think anyone can deny that. It's always changed. What gets me is the constant fear bombardment and the lecturing and being told we have reverse standards of living to stop it. We should be doing more to manage the effects of climate change IMO, not taxing people to the hilt and asking them to reduce their living standard. Too much hysteria and negativity, not enough rational debate and positivity on how we adapt and manage. The former approach never works well and will just lose the audience.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jackboy

We are really hearing in the media now that the negative impacts of climate change are quickly ramping up. The large economies of the world have made it clear that they will not be making large scale quick changes to crash carbon outputs.

This means that reducing carbon output in Ireland could be a catastrophic mistake. We have no evidence that the world is planning or committed to stop climate change. What we really need to do is massively increase our carbon output by fast tracking multiple large scale capital projects (flood defences, movement of populations from high risk areas etc). Anything else is fiddling while Rome is burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Who's being taxed to the hilt because of climate change? Irish people are richer than ever now and people go on like the carbon tax has everyone homebound unable to afford to go out or do anything. We have more cars on the road now than ever and the number of flights leaving our airports continues to skyrocket.

Am I missing something as I'm not being taxed to the hilt for anything to do with climate change, but everyone seems to go on about it?

if you're not familiar with him, he's the host of 'more or less' on BBC radio; the format is essentially that members of the public write in with queries along the lines of 'i heard a well known politician claim that there has been a 78% reduction in mole-to-human STD transmission in the last 10 years; can this be true?' and they break down the claim and examine it for accuracy. it can be quite good, all episodes are available online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭boardlady

The Irish publics patience with the farming industry has largely run out at this stage - Ireland is now predominantly urban and most people no longer see any reason to pick up the bills for their country cousins.

Just wow. Time to step outside the city walls for a while and smell the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The hysterical scarmongering post I was replying to claimed that the temperature reached 49°C. As far as I can ascertain, it reached 47.6°C and that the record is still 48.8°C in 2021. Perth's all time record is 47°C, I was there and experienced it, and it has not since been exceeded, even though it was in 1991.

Funny How you don't care about the distortion and misrepresentation in the climate alarmism post I was addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

And massively increase our capacity to produce food for export to take advantage of our temperate climate .

Yet the Greens want us to do the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭Shoog

I think that was me and I live deep in rural Ireland. So must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

It reached 48.2c. That’s hardly typical of what you experienced then is it? When it’s higher than anything you experienced in Perth. No need to twist things,lie and talk shite but why change the habit of a lifetime ey?

But since VRT is essentially a CO2 tax, we need to add that, which is a further €757 million, so That's about €1.427 Billion, so €282 per head of population, but that is not how one should look at it as tax burdens only fall on those paying the bills. so based on 2.9 million taxpayers, thats about €492 per taxpayer. Thats up there with property tax as a burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't think that report shows enough of a difference over the course of two thirty year spells to worry anyone. The changes are so small that really unless it stayed exactly the same I think people would be using it as evidence of a coming disaster.

Maybe they should have presented it over six ten year spells to show a trend if there is one. Or maybe they should have gone back further. But just comparing two periods of time doesn't really tell us much especially with such miniscule change, it's like comparing today and tomorrow.

• Advertisement

So no-one's being taxed to the hilt?

Gotcha.

Yet you have people saying we should just ride the wave and plan for flood defences, etc. Wait till you see how that's going to be paid for...

Advertisement