Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's hottest day since records began

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

You guys are a bundle of fun. Remind me never to invite you to a dinner party... Where we would only be eating vegan food flown in from another country.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Good idea. We should also live in caves and kill everyone before they reach reproductive age. That should sort everything.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Grand but at least I’d know.

Irelands gonna get colder cause AMOCS gonna fail- that’s not so hard a message for the scientific crowd to get out is it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Shoog

It might well be argued that the massive warming of the Arctic is what is responsible for Ireland been cold and wet whilst the rest of Europe is burning up - very like standing in front of an open freezer door as it defrosts. So my guess is you wont be waiting all that long to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Are we beyond the phase that carbon taxes actually work yet

Paying carbon taxes for donkeys years now and the temperatures haven't fallen

Time to scrap them I say

They've clearly failed.

Always thought dearer fuel lowered temperatures

Silly me.

• Advertisement

Yea it might, but then again it might not...

One wet July certainly provides proof of that!! I thought Ireland was getting warmer, please try to keep your stories consistent.

Ok grand but the advice to be given to Irish people should be to prepare for a colder climate and possibly an ice age if AMOC collapses.

This is not the narrative being spread at the moment by main stream media.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,783 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm not talking about the global mean, you have your wires crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,783 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Those models are

The fossil fuels we use were the result of times when conditions on Earth were far more favourable for plant life than they are now and it thrived in massive abundance. Not only was the global average temperature in the 20's, many degrees warmer than these nonsense 'tipping' points, but the CO2 levels were a lot higher than they are now. Photosynthesis works best at arounf 24°C and life on Earth has thrived at those times because it also coincided with higher CO2 levels which is vital food for plants.

This runaway warming, boiling oceans, turning into venus nonsense is not science, it's hysteria. Most of the Earth's history has been so much warmer than today there were no ice caps at all, and yet life on Earth absolutely thrived and was very abundant.

Climate 'scientists' know SFA about the what drives and determines large timescale climate events, they don't know what triggers the end of interglacial periods, or what causes the end of glacial periods, or what caused the medieval warm period, or the Roman warm period, or the little ice age, or what the Earth's climate processes are like when the Earth is so warm there are no ice caps. Anyone who believes in models that predict catastrophic consequences for life on Earth using temperatures and CO2 levels that are but a fraction of those we belive existed in the past when life was massively abundent, is not thinking clearly.

The most recent recipient of the Nobel prize for physics, Dr. John Clauser, said "‘There is no real climate crisis’ – and Warns ‘climate science has metastasized into massive shock-journalistic pseudoscience’.

Copy and paste denialism.

It happened before and its happening again for the same reason;

"Approximately 252 million years ago, long before the emergence of dinosaurs, at the Permian-Triassic boundary, the largest of the known mass extinctions on Earth occurred. With more than 95% of marine species becoming extinct, life in Permian seas, once a thriving and diverse ecosystem, was wiped out within only tens of thousands of years, a geological blink of an eye. This is now referred to as the ‘Great Dying’, a period when life on Earth has never been so close to becoming extinct.

The team of researchers, led by Dr Hana Jurikova, now based at the University of St Andrews, used a novel analytical approach of different isotopes of the elements boron and carbon, retrieving the pH of the ancient ocean from fossil brachiopod shells. Although numerous brachiopod species also became extinct during the Great Dying, the team found brachiopod shells within the critical time interval which offered a snapshot of the rapid onset of the extinction. Seawater pH is a critical indicator that not only records ocean acidity, which varies depending on the amount of absorbed carbon dioxide (CO2), but together with carbon isotope constraints it also allowed the team to determine changes in the amount and sources of atmospheric CO2 at the time of the extinction event.

The team were able to determine that the trigger of the Permian-Triassic crisis was a large pulse of CO2 to the atmosphere originating from a massive flood basalt province, the result of a giant volcanic eruption in today’s Siberia. Analyses showed that the volcanisms released more than 100,000 billion tonnes of carbon into the atmosphere, triggering the onset of the extinction. This is more than 40 times the amount of all carbon available in modern fossil fuel reserves including carbon already burned since the industrial revolution.

The research team used innovative modelling to reconstruct the effect of such large CO2 release on global biogeochemical cycles and the marine environment. The findings showed that, initially, the CO2 perturbation led to extreme warming and acidification of the ocean that was lethal to many organisms, especially those building calcium carbonate shells and skeletons. The greenhouse effect, however, led to further dramatic changes in chemical weathering rates on land and nutrient input and cycling in the ocean that resulted in vast deoxygenation and probably also sulphide poisoning of the oceans, killing the remaining organism groups."

The only difference this time is that its us causing the release of millions of years of sequestered carbon in less than a few centuries. As the research shows the progress into a mass extinction event took less than 10's of thousand years and caused the death of 95% of all species. The thing to note about the current situation is that once you destabilize the atmospheric carbon load it triggers massive amounts of natural carbon to be released significantly amplifying the fossil fuel derived carbon releases - hence the melting of the permafrost causing the methane catastrophe and a generally release of carbon dioxide from the planets forests and soils (drying and wildfires). The important factor that makes this a deadly scenario is the speed of change, species are adapted to live in a very narrow band of conditions and if they change to quickly then there is no time to evolve and adapt.

On top of this mans activities have already caused a collapse in ocean phytoplankton productivity and an 80% decline in global biodiversity. We are already well into the six mass extinction event and once whole ecosystems start to collapse its totally unpredictable where it ends.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Advertisement

The global mean is the only figure of interest here. One off exceptional temperatures are just that and tell us very little about climate change.

The advise been given is to not let it happen by pursuing NetZero. I am not aware that anyone is been advised to prepare for the outcome because that would be defeatist and as yet there is uncertainty about what will happen to Ireland specifically.

Ireland is getting warmer and wetter and individual months tell us little about trends.

You clearly don't understand them. Carbon taxes are revenue neutral - they pay for the progress towards netzero and if you avail of the various carbon saving assistances that are available you ultimately save yourself money in reduced energy consumption. one thing is absolutely certain if you choose not to avail of the incentives to decarbonize your life - you will get progressively poorer, colder and more miserable.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

As the major economies of the world are not pursuing net zero it makes no sense for Ireland to pursue net zero. Climate scientists have made it clear that Ireland’s actions can have no impact on world climate. We need to start following the science and focus on mitigation projects.

😂 that’s hilarious.

You are ignoring the debt you have to take on to insulate or purchase am EV- that you get a grant for.

The grant actually makes things worse as it pushes the cost of the insulation or EV up.

Your basing this on the belief that people don't replace their cars every 3-5 years anyway. Replace it with an EV and you get a discount and start saving on fuel immediately.

Similarly the payback on PV is less than 5years at the moment and then you have reduced bills for over 20 years with ever increasing energy costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭dmakc

You're some clown to be fair. Not the first time you've been asked to step outside, the isolation you live within is clearly out of touch with reality

They are signed up to exactly the same Paris accord as we are - so they are.

And I care about your opinion of me ?

95% of the county I live in live in towns, and I am one of the 5% who don't. My neigbours are mostly farmers so I have a fairly solid grasp of the issues - undoubtedly better than your own been a trained Environmental Scientist.

• Advertisement

If you have a debt free car that’s working perfectly fine- purchasing a 50K EV will not save you money- regardless of fuel saved. The debt has to be paid back.

Thats basic finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭dmakc

You care enough to state your degree which has nothing to do with your (very wrong) opinion of rural Ireland. Quit the hyperbole. From what I've seen on these threads you'll just drag everyone down to your level so this is my second and last post to you. Quit the drivel and get some fresh air

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

AMOC moves heat from the tropics to the arctic. If AMOC shuts down the heat doesn't disappear.

NH may cool but overall energy in the planet doesn't go down. The only exception would be the impact of albedo but would take a long time and in the meantime there would be all kinds of extreme weather with frontal systems the likes we have never seen

(Unless you're a fan of the Day after Tomorrow and think there would be an instant ice age)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Do you agree with the vast majority of scientists that it's not merely our existence, but it's mostly down to the burning of fossil fuels?

The time since farmer could throw their weight around and everyone fell in behind them are long gone. They have been asked pull their weight on climate change and the public expect them to deliver.

So people aren't buying petrol cars on finance, that's news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

Unfortunately people with little disposable income cannot afford the majority of these grants. Never mind the cost of an EV.

Nope didn’t say that- quote where I did.

People have ICE cars that are debt free- buying an EV that can do comparable ICE ranges involve 50K loans.

Are you encouraging people to get into more debt and hence encouraging consumerism?

Indeed, and until they start to become available second hand at reasonable cost neither will I. But the chain starts at those new purchases just as it always has.

• Advertisement

Okay so Ireland will cool as opposed to burn up if AMOC stops- good to get clarity on this finally.

Advertisement