Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's hottest day since records began

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Point to one thing that has happened that hasn't happened before?

knock yerself out.

just a warning - if you have an issue with any of the data on that link, you are a user on a discussion forum with a stupid username (as am i) and i will treat your responses with the gravity the context suggests. in short, i trust the scientists on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,339 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's extremely difficult to accurately project all future scenarios, we don't know exactly what the tipping points are, so we should try to prevent as much warming as possible because a lot of the harm we are causing can not be mitigated by any planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

So hot temps in hot countries are a new phenomenon? Record temps have never happened before?

Records are made to be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,190 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

No we should know if it’s gonna get colder or hotter.

That’s a simple question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Records are made to be broken.

i know that trips off the tongue (well, keyboard) nicely but is utterly meaningless and trite in this context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

This is where the European Space Agency published Land Temperatures when they should have published air temperatures - https://twitter.com/robinmonotti/status/1682684530518286336

Or where the US NOAA and NASA have doctored historical temperature data to align with the narrative that the climate is getting hotter?

Not trying to change your perspective on climate change but it is worth looking at the other side for a balanced perspective.

That's what it boils down too tho (pardon the pun).

Pointing to a 1 degree temp record in Tunisia or Sicily cannot be held up as proof of man mad climate catastrophe.

Its up there with a grainy wobbly video of a light in the sky being held up as proof of aliens 👽.

Not trying to change your perspective on climate change but it is worth looking at the other side for a balanced perspective.

let's say i take your assertion about doctored data at face value. it's still predictable from first principles that increased levels of CO2 and CH4 in the atmosphere will act as greenhouse gases.

and let's say i even only gave a 10% chance the scientists were correct about anthropogenic global warming. would i think that should spur drastic action? you're goddamn right i would.

people wear seatbelts on the tiny chance they'll be involved in a car collision. i've been driving 25+ years and wouldn't consider getting into a car without wearing a seatbelt - even though i've never been in a collision which necessitated one. but some people are suggesting we don't put a seatbelt on the planet, because we can't prove an accident is going to occur.

i bow to your superior knowledge of climate dynamics, over those who have studied it all their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,190 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So do we prepare for cold or hot weather going forward or do we just accept the (talked about) tax on all foreign holidays (aviation) carbon tax etc?

• Advertisement

what do you want from me? when i say 'i believe the scientists' you seem to expect me to have the answers to all possible outcomes?

when people were saying 'i'm afraid covid is probably going to be a shitshow' were you asking them about how to deal with it, as if that would bolster their credibility?

Look man its all just opinions. I'm not trying to claim I know more than somebody studying it.

I cycle to work the days I'm in. I recycle. I shop locally and I even grow some veg (well I help my wife grow it). I love the outdoors, birds, hiking, swimming. I'm a **** hippie.

But I travel the world and I drive a diesel and until they make an electric that is as usable as my diesel I don't plan on switching.

I just don't get onboard with the hysteria and what I perceive to be frenzied fanaticism from a small section of society. Pointing to anything and everything as climate disaster.

I'd feel sorry for the softer more impressionable youngsters. I'd say there's more than a few of them thinking the world's going to end before they ever get to feel a tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a cleaner planet, not spewing crap into the atmosphere or into rivers, lakes, seas, my point really is climate hacks scaremongering and the media using it for click bait articles when the focus in science and technology would be better spent in improving energy sources etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Bit stupid posting that when the heat has subsided, so you’re rather being disingenuous or just clueless. It was hotter In Sicily this week than Perth’s all time record, so definitely not “typical” of what you experienced. No need to distort/misrepresent posts to fit your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The reason you are making these assertions is because we have data to suggest the AMOC has shut down previously.

When previously?

Well just before the onset of past glaciation events.

What else happened then?

Well atmospheric CO2 levels rose dramaticaly and rapidly as did global average temperatures.

What do the scientists say caused those to happen?

Nothing, they don't know what causes those things to happen.

Well do they know what causes interglacial periods to end and glaciation periods to start?

No.

Do they have a theory that lets them predict these events then?

No.

So they can't predict when these events will happen or what causes them, so if the same things are happening now as happened in the past, how do they know what's happening now isn't natural and was going to happen anyway?

That is a mystery.

no, it's not 'all just opinions'.

you're choosing to live your life as you want to and are coming up with post hoc arguments for that choice.

people (e.g. a couple of posts above) claim that climate 'hacks' have been scaremongering yet the climate is changing faster than they predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,200 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

By not adding more humans. No matter what happens, they won't be condemned to suffer from a chaotic, hotter, more crowded world. This is something you can do beyond throwing your hands up and begging the government to solve everything for you.

Simple plan.

It's definitely opinions. I've lived in Ireland my whole life and nothing about our climate has changed in my lifetime.

If we were getting incredibly hot summer's year on year or incredibly cold winters year on year I'd say fair enough, that's a notable real world change since 80/90s.

But that's not the case. Nothing has changed. Records being set is not change. That's been happening since we started recording.

I have been going to the med on holidays my entire life, nearly 40 years at this stage. I was there last week, during this heatwave.

Again, with lesser conviction than my Ireland assertion (because i dont live there), I would say nothing has changed.

Big claims require big proof and there's none.

If you mean it's worth looking at climate change deniers on twitter, you're not getting a 'balanced perspective', you're getting an unhinged one

That 'gotcha' tweet you linked to was a typical example of disinformation. It wrongly asserts that the ESA misled or that the Germans misreported initial temperature reports by mixing up surface with surface air temperatures. There is no evidence of this. The two reports refer to different graphics from different scientific measurements

Random climate change deniers on twitter, especially the kind that pay for Elons blue tick, are not reliable scientific sources.

You can't balance the entire global scientific community with wingnut conspiracy theorists on ex twitter

If you die of a fever, you get hotter right before you get much much colder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

I think it makes a huge difference if they are inaccurate, actually.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

The crap summer in Ireland and the UK has really put a spanner in the works of the climate propagandists here. They had their red hell like graphics ready to go to scare the living crap out of everyone on the news but it turns out it's been all for nowt. Unlucky.

The records being broken really aren't the point at all. It's about the shifting distribution of temperatures

It's not just about the extremes getting hotter, it's about the previously extreme temperatures becoming normal.

People have always had to deal with 'extreme' temperatures (relative to their normal climate) In those conditions, crops tended to fail, water ran short, people's productivity reduced because they were not prepared for those conditions

What climate change is doing, is making those 'extremes' the new normal temperature, and then making the new 'extremes' record breaking temperatures, flooding, wildfires and hailstorms that have never been seen before, or would have been once in a thousand year events that required a freak confluence of conditions all combining to allow for such an unusual event

Climate change shifts the bell curve, so that the old extreme is the new normal, and the new extremes, are conditions that would not have been thinkable prior to climate change.

https://youtu.be/1YigIVWMPHM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭Shoog

That is not what the headline is based on. It's based on a global mean which is exceptional high. This isn't rocket science.

Looking at the trends in Ireland calls your bluff. You may not have seen the slow change in Ireland but that because humans are very bad at seeing such change. There have been significant changes in Irish weather over your lifetime.

But Ireland and UK are exempt to this so far yes? As I've said I've witnessed no change in my lifetime in Ireland.

I appreciate Ireland is a tiny part of the globe. But surely there should be a global change to all our expected norms yes?

Can you expand on this please? Some context to prove your claim would be great.

If you go to the met Eiran data sets which are generally available they show that the east has gotten warmer and drier over the last century, whilst the west has gotten wetter and generally cooler.

Your going to have to research this yourself if you are genuinely interested. The raw data is where to look.

• Advertisement

Advertisement