Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of rush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

^^

On searching the same site, with ''Skerries'' as place of birth, I came across the following

GOSSON, JAMES SKERRIES, CO. DUBLIN
    2ND ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILIERS

GOSSON, JOSEPH SKERRIES, CO. DUBLIN
    2ND ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILIERS

and i wondered,

James is listed as

place of birth, SKERRIES, CO. DUBLIN
    Rank PRIVATE
    Service No. 7360
    Mil. Unit 2ND ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILIERS
    Commemoration ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN
    Reference A. 8. 25.
    Date of death Tue May 04 1915

Joseph is listed as

Place of birth SKERRIES, CO. DUBLIN
    Rank PRIVATE
    Service No. 6747
    Mil. Unit 2ND ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILIERS
    Commemoration WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY
    Reference I. F. 5A.
    Date of death Tue Apr 27 1915

So they died within a week of each other and were both 2nd Royal Dublin Fusilers

Were they related, possibly brothers.

The name ''Gosson'' is mainly DCN in the 1901 census, but no obvious match
    however in 1911 census we have

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Skerries/Cross_Street/1293/

A James, age 29 yrs, married one child, living in Cross St, Skerries,
    Occupation, Plate-layer, Railway

and

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Skerries/Strand_Street__Great/1386/

A Joseph, age 32 yrs, living with parents, at Great Strand St,
    occupation, Labourer, but his father,Thomas is a Plate-layer, Railway, also his Brother, Peter, both same address

So , a with a great lap of faith, in internet research,and all it's flaws, did these two men, possibly brothers, from Skerries, join up, to fight in WW1, and die within a week of each other, in 1915.

Anyone with knowledge of this family, may. be interested.

I knew a Tommy Gosson, who live across the road from the RC Church in Skerries, beside what was the ESB shop, possibly a relative??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There are Gosson families around Lusk and Rush. Must ask Vin the next time I see him

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bucaneer

Hi all
    This is an item about Francis Rickard of Hand Park Rush.He had a Chequered career,including standing as a Conservative canditate in the Newington constituency at the turn of the 19th and 20th century. I am not sure how many have heard of him,I only recently came across stuff about his activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pacj

bucaneer wrote: »
    Hi all
    This is an item about Francis Rickard of Hand Park Rush.He had a Chequered career,including standing as a Conservative canditate in the Newington constituency at the turn of the 19th and 20th century. I am not sure how many have heard of him,I only recently came across stuff about his activities.

Was he a Rickard or a Seaver.

LeoB wrote: »
    Back in 17th / 18th Century Rickard's owned two valuable houses in Rush.

Whitestown House had a view right down Rogerstown Estuary and a house at the harbour at the other end of Rush which had a panoramic view of Irish sea from beyond Drummanagh up to Howth.

Pirates were mentioned in the chat I had yesterday with a member of Leonard family.
    Hi all
    Pacj wrote: »
    Was he a Rickard or a Seaver.

There were Rickards in Rush going back over 200 years. Pirates of the time and obviously wealthy for the time. Maybe there is a connection

• Advertisement

Hi Pacj
    He was a Rickard.The son of Thomas Rickard and Anne McGrane of Hand Park in Rush.The attachment here is taken from a paper by Rev George Seaver published on March 31 1942.

Hi Pacj
    He was a Rickard.The son of Thomas Rickard and Anne McGrane of Hand Park in Rush.The attachment here is taken from a paper by Rev George Seaver published on March 31 1942.

Very Good. Keep up the good work. You have my attention. Thanks.

This is a brief report on Francis Rickards 2nd Marriage.

This is a newspaper article about Cecil Rhodes and shows the friendship between him and Francis Rickard.The other is about his gongs etc.

These are from Rickard tombstones in the old Graveyard in whitestone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 oldroadrush

opawaman wrote: »
    Anyone in Rush remember Jimmy Kane or his brother Paddy . They originally lived in Doctors lane not far from the Lambs and practically opposite Willie Christies. . This was back in the fifties and early sixties. There was a sweet shop at the end of Doctors lane on the bend.

Hi there, I was just online looking for some photos to show my mum, Nancy Kane when we came across your post. I am a niece of Jimmy & Paddy. Jimmy lives in Hayestown and Paddy lives in Dublin.
    If you need any information or have something you would like to share just drop me a line and I will reply!

Is mise le meas,

Geraldine Rodgers

Hi there, I was just online looking for some photos to show my mum, Nancy Kane when we came across your post. I am a niece of Jimmy & Paddy. Jimmy lives in Hayestown and Paddy lives in Dublin.
    If you need any information or have something you would like to share just drop me a line and I will reply!

Is mise le meas,

Geraldine Rodgers

Try " Rush histoty in photos " and "Rush needs you" both on facebook.
    I remember Nancy - a real good looker and Peggy and Tosh.

Thanks Pacj, Mum turned 70 years old at the weekend. Nobody could believe it..but I'm afraid it's my sister who has her good looks. The memory of Tosh is still very present for us and Martin too of course. Peggy still lives not too far away. We ourselves are closer to Newry but on a journey to Dublin for the funeral of a friend the Funeral directors of whom I was asking directions knew the Kane family and so it was lovely. Thanks again and I'll be sure to check in photos!

Pacj, I would love to hear your memories of Tosh and or Mum, if you have the time to note them for me. Thanks you.

Pacj, I would love to hear your memories of Tosh and or Mum, if you have the time to note them for me. Thanks you.

I don't know much, mostly new them to see,I was a year or two younger.I use to visit Hayestown.
    I know where they lived on Old Rd.Its called Doctors Lane now sometimes we called it "Maggies Lane". Maggie & Bennie Fitzgerald had a little shop on the corner. Doolins had a shop on Old Rd just up from Jem Briens house. I think Nancy lived in 27 and Carmel & Marie Craughan lived next door then Mclouds, Majella Mcgann,Harfords,Carrolls,Jem Fagan and Liam Mcgee. Around the corner was Dickser O'Toole and Sailor Farrell.Across the road was Brophys or Mooneys,Paddy Hughes,Devines,Kit Murphy,Tommy Gosson and Johnny Byrne.
    I worked some summer holidays for Ruigroks in Loughshinny and I remember cycling over there in the mornings with your grandad. Paddy Mathews and Jackie Boardman from around the corner also worked there.

I don't remember Mrs Kane but I know Jimmy fairly well. Still goes about the town on his bike. Quiet man. The ruin of Kanes house on Doctors lane I vaguely remember.

Pacj, I remember Hayestown from 34 years ago when I started on the post and you brought back memories of people who have passed away. 27 was Kane's and still is, 28 Paddy Savage who worked for county council, 29 Murdo McLeod, 30 McGanns, William was a man mountain as I remember him. Gerry Kelly in 31, Mrs Carroll in 32, Fagans in 33 and Liam McGee 34. I thought Mrs Craughan lived in the Old cottages, beside John "Clock" Madden. I dont remember Brophys or Mooney's, but on that road John Byrne and Mrs Byrne passed away just a few years ago, Gossons, Kit Murphy, Joe McCann, Hughes and Hanrattys lived opposite Kanes. Kit Murphy and Murdo McLeod were involved in Pipe band and Mrs Hanratty was a very good performer with Rush Dramatic Society. There were fantastic characters up in in Hayestown, still are.

I don't remember Maggie's shop on Doctors lane but I do remember Maggie working in Alfie Leonard's on Whitestown Rd. I remember Katie Lamb who was mentioned a few pages back.

I don't remember Mrs Kane but I know Jimmy fairly well. Still goes about the town on his bike. Quiet man. The ruin of Kanes house on Doctors lane I vaguely remember.

Pacj, I remember Hayestown from 34 years ago when I started on the post and you brought back memories of people who have passed away. 27 was Kane's and still is, 28 Paddy Savage who worked for county council, 29 Murdo McLeod, 30 McGanns, William was a man mountain as I remember him. Gerry Kelly in 31, Mrs Carroll in 32, Fagans in 33 and Liam McGee 34. I thought Mrs Craughan lived in the Old cottages, beside John "Clock" Madden. I dont remember Brophys or Mooney's, but on that road John Byrne and Mrs Byrne passed away just a few years ago, Gossons, Kit Murphy, Joe McCann, Hughes and Hanrattys lived opposite Kanes. Kit Murphy and Murdo McLeod were involved in Pipe band and Mrs Hanratty was a very good performer with Rush Dramatic Society. There were fantastic characters up in in Hayestown, still are.

I don't remember Maggie's shop on Doctors lane but I do remember Maggie working in Alfie Leonard's on Whitestown Rd. I remember Katie Lamb who was mentioned a few pages back.

Craughans lived there before Paddy Savage,They later moved to the Old Cottages.Andy Harford (Mill Bank) lived in 31 before Kellys.Esther Devine lived in 48 before McCanns. I think Brophys lived in 49 before Hughes and Mooneys in 50 before Hanrattys.
    I remember something in an earlier post about Hayestown being called Korea because a lot of the people were from the inner city and were causing trouble for the gardai. That was not correct. I dont remember any of the original residents being from outside the local area.

Craughans lived there before Paddy Savage,They later moved to the Old Cottages.Andy Harford (Mill Bank) lived in 31 before Kellys.Esther Devine lived in 48 before McCanns. I think Brophys lived in 49 before Hughes and Mooneys in 50 before Hanrattys.
    I remember something in an earlier post about Hayestown being called Korea because a lot of the people were from the inner city and were causing trouble for the gardai. That was not correct. I dont remember any of the original residents being from outside the local area.

I have heard of Hayestown being called Korea but also heard it was not called that from the start but was named during the Korean war! There were like in all estates a few hardy lads growing up together.

Do you remember John Bissett living there in #7. He was known as "Big Rock". His son remembers living there. I only remember Mrs Smyth

Its really only the last 20 years or so people from outside moved into Hayestown. Its a great spot with some great families.

I have heard of Hayestown being called Korea but also heard it was not called that from the start but was named during the Korean war! There were like in all estates a few hardy lads growing up together.

Do you remember John Bissett living there in #7. He was known as "Big Rock". His son remembers living there. I only remember Mrs Smyth

Its really only the last 20 years or so people from outside moved into Hayestown. Its a great spot with some great families.

Can't say I do. Trying to jog the memory but
    I only remember the Smyth family living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Rushah

Hi, Hayestown was nicknamed "Little Korea" because of all the trouble in the estate around the time of the Korean war (in the 50's). My Dad (Andy Harford) said he lived in number 37. His Mum decided to move the family to a new house on the Channel Road to prevent the kids getting involved with the "wrong crowd".

• Advertisement

Rushah wrote: »
    Hi, Hayestown was nicknamed "Little Korea" because of all the trouble in the estate around the time of the Korean war (in the 50's). My Dad (Andy Harford) said he lived in number 37. His Mum decided to move the family to a new house on the Channel Road to prevent the kids getting involved with the "wrong crowd".

As far as I remember he lived in 31. Donnollys lived in 37 and still do. I don't remember any "wrong crowd " up there,no more than the Channel Rd,Sandy Rd,Harbour area or here on Main St. As a kid I played in all these areas and I never felt uneasy anywhere. There were families from all over Rush living up there.

This is another article on Francis Rickard of Hand Park Rush.It was written in the 1890s.

In the article on Francis Rickard it says his Mothers name was Seaver.His Mothers Maiden name was McGrane,her mother was a Seaver.

As far as I remember he lived in 31. Donnollys lived in 37 and still do. I don't remember any "wrong crowd " up there,no more than the Channel Rd,Sandy Rd,Harbour area or here on Main St. As a kid I played in all these areas and I never felt uneasy anywhere. There were families from all over Rush living up there.

I would agree with this. No wrong crowd when I was a young lad either. There were worse down my end of the street of which I was often one.

Like any place where there are groups of kids there will be "divilment" but nothing bad, a few scrapes here and there but what great characters from Hayestown I went to school with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Really strange one this.years ago my mother reluctantly have her mothers old mangle to McNally that own the mobile home site.i rang a couple if years ago and the wife said he has dementia and can't remember what he did with it.he passed it on?
    I wanted to buy it back as it's missed.
    Anyone know of the person that might have got it from Mr McNally?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rogue_IRL

Hi All, a couple years since any activity on this thread, but hopefully people are still tuned in.

Stumbled on this page / thread when I was researching into Jack the Bachelor & Luke Ryan - one or both of which I'm supposed to be descended from according to my uncle in Hayestown who did some family tree research and told me about years ago. Have been reading this thread all day, and it's has been very interesting to follow and some fair craic too.
    (Special shout out to Corsendonk & LeoB).

I'm a Mayo man myself, but spent a good month of every summer holidays growing up (in the 80's & early 90's) in Rush with my cousins (my Mam was from Sundrive Road). I seem to be a generation younger than most of the contributors on here but agree with so much said. Especially the place names being done away with by developers.
    A few standout memories from summers spent in Rush were of picking winkles down in Rogerstown to spend the earnings in Rat's amusements. For a brief time in the early 90's there was a cool little ice cream parlour (maybe a burger bar/diner too, can't be sure) further down towards the harbour that opened briefly, it had a few video games cabinets (Street Fighter 2 was all we were interested in) at the back, but from what little I remember it didn't last that long, maybe a summer or 2. Anyone remember it ?
    We used to get sweets in a little sweet shop/grocery shop on the Channel Rd., about half way between Healys Lane & the Mill, on the same side of the Channel Rd as the national school. From what I can remember it was owned & run by a lovely old couple, but it closed in the late 80's. Anyone remember what it was called ? We then had to go all the way to Martin's to get our sweets fix.

Other memories include being shot in the arse by a farmer with rock salt & peppercorns for taking shortcuts across the ploughed fields directly north of St. Catherine's playing fields.
    Or getting loaf of bread and tearing all the slices into little pieces and sneaking around really early in the morning - throwing a fistful of the pieces onto the roof of each the caravans at the North Beach, then sitting back on a ditch and watching the disgruntled holiday makers having to come out and shoo all the seagulls making a racket on the tin roofs of the caravans so early in the morning on their holidays hahaha.
    Going fishing for crabs with a spool of twine and feathers off the end of Rogerstown pier.
    We used to play a lot of football on a tarmac lot that stretched between the Channel & Sundrive Rd. It's still there on Google Maps. I think the crazy golf course was there too, or very close by, it was well overgrown when I was little but we used to run around on what remained of it.

Joe's Chip Inn - the chips here were the best I ever tasted, by a mile. We used to unload the car after the 4 hour drive from Mayo and Dad would take us straight to Joe's for tea. Or when we'd be dossing about the town during the day you'd call in on the way back from Rat's and they'd do a 30p bag of chips for kids (small chips were usually 60p & large were 90p). They used to par-boil the chips before frying in lard, and served in newspaper. Was in there after a few pints in Walsh's a few years back and the chips aren't the same anymore, not bad but not special like they used to be.

Someone posted on here looking for Rush nicknames. I know my grandad James Devine was known as 'Baymser' or ' Baemzer' by all the locals, but no idea where that came from. Never met the man, he died before I was born.

Actually, totally forgot the main reason for my post;

I'm looking for info on sausages believe it or not.
    The sausages that my Nanna got in Rush (probably from Price's I'd say, because my Nanna did most of her shopping there) were different from any of the sausages we got anywhere else. They tasted a little spicier and were a little longer and slimmer than the sausages to be got in most of the rest of the country.
    Maybe someone could give me a bit of info about if they're still available anywhere? Or who produced them ?

Rogue_IRL wrote: »
    Actually, totally forgot the main reason for my post;

I'm looking for info on sausages believe it or not.
    The sausages that my Nanna got in Rush (probably from Price's I'd say, because my Nanna did most of her shopping there) were different from any of the sausages we got anywhere else. They tasted a little spicier and were a little longer and slimmer than the sausages to be got in most of the rest of the country.
    Maybe someone could give me a bit of info about if they're still available anywhere? Or who produced them ?

Great post there. I reckon I know your Granny well and all the family. Esther?

The sausages could well have been Kearns. Very popular.

Funny you mention "Rats". I was at a match last week and the chairman of the board worked there and still works for the company who ran it. They still have a big place on O'Connell St in Dublin.

The shop on the Channel Rd was Doyles just beside where you played football in the Good old days car park. It was ran by Eamon and his mother. The pitch and putt just up the road from your granny's house is long gone with a few houses on it now. Was the little Ice cream parlour not on Sundrive rd? Just up from where you stayed? It was ran by Liam Butterly's daughter Patricia I think.

There were a lot of nicknames in Rush. I dont remember Baymser but his brother Brendan was manager of my football team in St. Maurs when I was growing up. One of the nicest men I ever met.

Thanks for the reply LeoB.

Yeah, Esther is me Nanna.

Nah, I know Kearns sausages, definitely not them, nor Hafners or Olhausens (although may well have been made by any of them in their plants if not independently produced locally in NCD)
    These sausages came loose by weight and were longer than a regular saussy. They were a bit more dense darker inside when cooked compared to other sausages. A bit like a cumberland.
    They had a different spice mix put through them than most other Irish sausages, tasted a bit spicier - maybe extra mace & nutmeg through them. Couldn't say for sure until I'd taste them again. I've tried asking me Nanna & the rest etc., but no clues.
    Anyone know any of the butchers (or former butchers) in Rush that might be worth me contacting for info ?
    Don't know if these sausages were unique to Rush, might've been available all around NCD, have no idea, all I know is anytime there was a family member coming or going from Rush to Mayo, there was always an order put in for a lb of the Dublin sausages (as we knew them in our house) and a Spicer's Round Loaf.

I honestly believe that the recipe is worth saving, or reviving if gone. Too many old food recipes are disappearing to be replaced by plastic wrapped shyte from large chain supermarkets. For my money, these sausages are as an important part of Rush food history as the Ray, Ling & veg.

Also, anyone know of any recipes known to be particular to the area?
    And nobody bother answering with Coddle, yiz Dub's can keep that recipe!!! ;)

• Advertisement

They may well have been Kearn's sausages LeoB, but if so Kearn's sausages now are nothing like what these were.

Meant to add too, the little ice cream parlour was defo up past the fork in the road at the anchor, on the left towards the harbour, somewhere fairly near The Carlyan or maybe just past it. It might be a bad description to call it an ice-cream parlour maybe, I just remember that it was tiny and they did a savage knickerbocker glory or banana boat, might've done other food besides. It didn't last that long though because it just appeared one summer, when I went back the following summer it was gone.

Doyle's shop, that was it.

Is the place on O'Connell St. Dr. Quirky's ? If so I used to spend many the hour in there playing snooker & pool after work in Irish Life.

Advertisement