Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭phog

Where does it say this thread is for the lead up the RWC and we should discuss current Irish players.

All threads wander about some bit and we've discussed former Irish players in the Ireland thread numerous times, odd that you're taking a stance on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Kleyn has a decent game, that's great. Can we leave it at that? Unrelenting boring topic of discussion in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I don’t think you’re debating this in good faith. But I’ll lay out my points anyway.

1. It’s the Ireland thread.
    2. The title is ‘Ireland Team Talk XII Farrell’s First Fifteen’.
    3. Theres a World Cup kicking off in 2 months

As such I don’t think it would be unreasonable to expect us to be talking about players who are in or around the current squad or eligible to play for us.

And I don’t appreciate the suggestion that I’m taking a stance on this player for a particular reason. Hopefully there was no provincial BS undercurrent to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭TRC10

Josh Lord pretty quiet so far for NZ

If you hold the same stance on any future discussion of former Irish players in this thread then I could see your point of trying to stop a discussion on Kleyn until then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,981 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can we swap our World Cup draw with Wales please

'Earn' is not the word for what we have to deal with over in France

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's a thread about Farrells decisions on who he picks/picked for Ireland. Kleyn bossing the Auzzies in the Rugby championship calls his judgement of not even bringing him into extended training camps into question.

It also throws the judgement of all the people in here who adamantly declared that he's not international standard into question.

It's boring to continue a discussion after the game where so many posters on here said Kleyn was just a capture cap or making up the numbers?

I know it is boring to have to admit you or Farrell may have been wrong.

We may end up facing Kleyn in the pool stages of the RWC directly because of Farrells decision making

• Registered Users Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It used to be that you'd only see this level of gutter posting during the world cup. And by multi reg accounts.

Sad to see that it's all the time. And by the same people who always do it.

• Advertisement

Gutter posting?

What did your post add to any conversation??

Look in a mirror next time

Munster fans care. Players who would rather to have Kleyn on our team instead of playing us care. But other people's opinions don't count I guess

Btw, if Kleyn had stank up the place and was clearly not up to standard, would he still be off topic on this thread?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

As such I don’t think it would be unreasonable to expect us to be talking about players who are in or around the current squad or eligible to play for us.

It’s also not unreasonable to talk about players who were available to Farrell prior to the game today.

You're mistaken aloof. This thread is only for guessing who Farrell might pick in future, and then immediately congratulating him for making the correct calls once the decisions are announced

then talk about it in the appropriate Munster thread. No one else gives a toss

Good point and something which was done for the last few weeks. He’s not available anymore. So by that token we can move on and discuss the players at our disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭theVersatile

If you and other posters are putting this much effort into posting about it, ye clearly care enough to engage.

You’re under no obligation to engage in the discussion. It seems like a perfectly reasonable topic for discussion to me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Hank the DJ

So it's wrong to comment on a player for a team we'll be facing in the RWC?

Very narrow minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭TRC10

Has anyone watched Ireland over the last couple of years, winning triple crowns, series in NZ, grand slams and thought "what this team really needs is a Jean Kleyn"?

Like, maybe he's a better option than Treadwell or McCarthy, I'm happy to concede that. But is he really so good to warrant the amount of outrage his omission has gotten? Ireland have been really f*cking good over the last two years, winning lots of games and playing a good brand of rugby. People seem to have forgotten this.

And if Kleyn ends up playing against us in the RWC, I'll be delighted, because it will mean that at least one of Etzebeth, De Jager, Mostert and Snyman is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If the worst thing we can say about Farrell's judgement is that he picked the wrong guy as the fifth or sixth best lock, then I think we're doing alright.

I'd also argue that Kieran Treadwell or Ross Molony would have looked pretty good against the Aussies today too. They were a long, long way short of proper test quality.

On the subject of second row selection, I can understand those questioning why Joe McCarthy was selected ahead of Kleyn for the Ireland squad. He isn't as good a player right now and has been injured quite a bit this season. But when you go down the depth chart, we're looking for 'finishers' (I hate that term) rather than starters. Our main pairing is Ryan and Beirne. Two world class locks as good as any around. If either is injured then Henderson comes straight in.

McCarthy is a physical freak and I've seen him mow through Kleyn on multiple occasions in inter pros. He has that explosive athleticism the former lacks. I also think he's an all round player who is surprisingly excellent at breakdown turnovers for a man of his bulk and possesses great handling ability. He can be ill disciplined and give away silly penalties, but he's only 22. He'll improve on that with more experience.

I think we're betting on McCarthy's ability to make a greater impact as a 20 minute sub rather than a starter. A lot of the above also applies to Treadwell. That's where Kleyn misses out, I think. He's not at the same level as Ryan or Beirne and he's not seen as a finisher.

Post edited by Clegg on

McCarthy is class, I think he'll show his quality if he gets a chance. Leinster really messed up not picking him instead of Jenkins for the final.

A few weeks ago we had posters here claiming Kleyn wouldn't play international rugby for SA now we've posters saying well it was only Australia

Well I suppose with attitudes like that they'll never be wrong, in their one mind.

I can understand where Lancaster and Cullen where coming from though. McCarthy was only back from a three month injury and had barely played. Jenkins is a more experienced player and had returned to full fitness six weeks earlier. The latter was pretty poor in the final, but it was the correct decision at the time.

I do think that Nienaber will look at McCarthy and want him in the starting 15 though. He's an athletic freak similar to Baird.

He’s got huge potential. His athleticism is so impressive for a big man with his body shape (different to Baird or Ahern for example). I think he was unfortunate that he missed so much rugby over the season. Unfortunate for Ireland too as he is someone to make a difference from the bench but at the same time I’d be concerned with his penalty record which he needs to iron out with game time. Was his last game for Ireland when he came off the bench in the Australia win in the 2022 AI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’d say the fact that he is 29 and our lock depth is weak enough that guys like mccarthy or treadwell are even in the squad at all, makes it an obvious tactical error long term.

We could easily have another coach after Farrell who would like to have an international level tight head lock at his disposal.

South Africa, probably the most loaded country in the world talent wise dipping back into ireland for a lock at all in any squad is a decent enough indicator that it was probably an evaluation mistake in its own right.

It will take a lot more than one grand slam and a tour win against NZ to convince me that we are as deep as south africa and we can afford to let guys like that go. South Africa with the right coaching and time together could put out three or four fully competitive international teams, especially if they could get back all their guys who play for other countries. The idea of them coming back for a guy we don’t pick is insane. It shouldn’t happen.

Advertisement