Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

My prediction is that Snyman or Kleyn will go to Leinster at the end of their contract and the other stay.

And mostly that is because i would enjoy the fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

“Sloppy seconds” Ireland live off sloppy seconds.but u have proven to be clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Someone is angry again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭phog

I thought it was let's move on, now, it's sloppy seconds. Hate to think what it will be tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Yeah Snyman to replace Jenkins.. 100% garenteed he would get an injury free run too.

• Advertisement

It does make sense. Its still probably considered a weakness that Jenkins didn’t solve within Leinster, and Nienebar has that relationship with the players.

I would say that Munster would prefer to keep Snyman though, but would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Shehal

You are literally capping a player that we dont want...sign of the change of times ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,529 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ireland fans getting annoyed at players going to play for someone else is a bit rich considering the huge dependence we have had on project players for the last 7 or 8 years.

The player's we have dependened on havent played for another country before playing for us.

This seems like a completely arbitrary point to get hung up on. They've all played at a high level for their respective home nations, and we've had no bother capping them.

If today's rules on switching allegiance after senior caps existed back in the day you can bet your mortgage that Ireland would have capped Isa Nacewa too.

We were never exactly picky about it.

• Advertisement

It’s incredibly arbitrary.

We know most people would do it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,245 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Roll on Saturday so we have some rugby to talk about and forget this schadenfreude

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Technically Nacewa still wouldn't have been eligible for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's no teams that do not use foreign player. S.A would be the exception, they have used Zimbabweans?

Aus and the kiwis have pacific islanders. England also bring lads in. Scotland is Western Province north and Wales are jammed with English men.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Argentina, Georgia?

Interestingly there are many species of mammal where the female will mate with multiple partners over a short period of time. The female Antelope for example will mate with multiple partners within the herd and even migratory 'bachelor' antelope from outside the herd. Sloppy seconds are integral in growing the antelope population.

Obviously antelope are better known in South Africa as Springbok. Another interesting fact about the Springbok - they have one of the shortest mating rituals in the world lasting, no joke, usually around one pump.

So do bonobos, our joint closest cousin (along with chimpanzees).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

They haven't though, Lowe, JGP, Hasen didnt play for NZL or Australia before playing for Ireland. Kleyn has shown that he was never Irish so why was he playing for us in the first place?

We'll never know the fact of the matter is Nacewa is here say.

Hansen is a granny ruler, but played for Australia U20s.

Both JGP and Lowe played for the Maori's.

CJ Stander played for SA U18s and U20s.

Payne played for NZ U21s.

We tried to get Bleyendaal too, another NZ U20s player, only injury prevented him getting Irish caps.

Hansen, Lowe, JGP and all the rest would all be playing for their home nations if they had the chance and if you think otherwise you are delusional.

The idea that it's completely acceptable to change before senior level, but then it suddenly becomes unacceptable at senior level is entirely arbitrary. Ireland are among the worst, if not the worst at exploiting the residency rules to hoover up players who have been rejected elsewhere. Getting annoyed at Kleyn's move is very hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

And you were doing so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Best part is, neither of us are really 100% sure who we are referring to...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I mean, if Kleyn had refused another Ireland call-up to go back to South Africa, it would be one thing, but no-one is served by leaving him sitting around and finishing his test career at 25.

If this law really helps some of the Tier 2 countries be more competitive, then it has to be a good thing, and if the odd Tier 1 team picks up a player as a by-product, then who cares?

The one big issue with you're points, not one team you mentioned is a test side.

Whether they would or wouldn't the fact of the matter is they DIDNT, Kleyn DID after already playing for Ireland. You dont arrest someone for potentially committing a crime you arrest someone FOR committing a crime ( I know the usual chumps will try create some tangent from this and say I said Kleyn commited a crime, dont even try you'll make yourself look stupid).

Like I said you have shown a single example that's the same as what Kleyn did so no its not hypocritical.

Well if his test career is finished at 25 then too bad, he could have said no to an Ireland call up in 2019 and none of this mess would have happened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I know the usual chumps will try create some tangent

Mod: You need to rein in this kind of language. Attack the post, not the poster(s).

Fair enough I will, but just for fun lets see if i'm right or not in the following replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't understand the issue around Kleyn. Does anyone genuinely have a problem with him taking this call up and representing his home nation? People can have an affinity for a country. That doesn't mean they stop being Irish or English or South African. And the vast majority of people/players would do just the same. Lets not pretend otherwise. As dedicated as lads like Strauss and Stander were to their provinces and Irish rugby even when facing the nation of their births, they only played for us as they were seen as too small in SA. They went straight back there when they retired too despite being fully committed to Ireland whilst playing for us; it's their home. There's not doubt in my mind that they'll be supporting SA in the RWC.

The Irish coaches obviously saw Kleyn as surplus and not suitable for what they want to do on the field which is absolutely fair enough. The South African coaching set up saw him as having something to add to their set up and brought him in which is absolutely fair enough.

I'm not sure he'll be in their final 33 given that they appear to have sent their three front line locks ahead to NZ to prepare for next week (with Orie and Snyman also in the mix) but it is a brilliant opportunity and experience for him to represent SA regardless of whether he has a long term presence in the squad or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: Do not reply to mod warnings on thread, and particularly not with a semi-goading response like this.

If you do so again, you’ll be thread-banned for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think in fairness it’s really just one person here that has a problem with him taking the call up. Plenty have opinions on the rules but that’s kinda separate.

Advertisement