Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - anti social behaviour etc... what's being done?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's not really though. Treat heroin addiction like diabetes patients need insulin? The health approach is the only way, not criminalising users.

Thank you for the link, I will have to read further into it. I'm no expert, just giving my uneducated opinion on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Current policy around drug misuse is an abject failure. It has been given half a century to work and the problems are worse. Anyone advocating for this policy and action to continue is dangerously blinkered, imo.

The health led approach is proven to reduce harm from drug use and even, longterm, reduce drug use. I don't understand why people continuing to push the prohibition view have to be listened to. There is a trove of evidence that their policies make matters worse, it isn't a matter of opinion. However, we seem to form policy based on how people "feel", as opposed to on evidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭BagofWeed

Well from the viewpoint of a small town solicitor or promotion hungry Garda then the war on drugs has been a complete success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Drew harris didnt give much hope to city traders when he was here last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, saw that. No more overtime, and they are having trouble recruiting. It's hardly surprising. Who would want to be in the gardai these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Christ lads last evening was an eye opener for me. I rarely go out in the city but was meant to meet a friend there last nite but he cancelled last minute so decided to have a stroll around. Great buzz around Grand parade, Oliver Plunkett St but around Daunt Square and Paul St very sketchy. I was walking past Subway on Paul St and ducked into that tiny side street to take a call and some guy offers me a blowjob for 50 quid. Mad stuff. This was half 7.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That's insane! I wouldn't pay more than €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I offered him a bigmac and some nuggets but it was rejected. All jokes aside that's mad stuff. The city does need a clean up. Especially that part of it. The knackers sitting around there out of there minds was crazy to look at

It really is a horrible situation. You have to be in a desperate state to need to offer strangers that in a cork city sidestreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Edit: Deleted

Post edited by Robert Nairac on

• Advertisement

Or put more simply: take his advice and leave him alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/delivery-rider-fights-cowards-who-27327255...

Pretty stupid fighting a guy with a full face helmet on, really!

Fair play to the delivery guy. Those delivery people get an awful time of it, particularly in Dublin.

I hope those young fellas are caught and face consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://www.thejournal.ie/stolen-car-gang-togher-and-northside-cork-6112282-Jul2023/...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Scum attacking deliveroo riders is a serious problem in Dublin. It seems to be more of a rare thing in Cork though. Hopefully it stays that way. I'd say there's an element of racism behind it as well, seeing that most deliveroo workers are foreign nationals. That's the motivating factor behind the attacks on them in Dublin imo.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

1. To what benifit?

2. One of the areas is named in the link you copied.

3. There is a difference between not doing something and "refusing" to do something. I mean, who did they refuse? You?

1. To inform. They are writing of cars being stolen in specific areas and refusing to name the locations.
    2. They state it is occurring multiple areas but don't name them.
    3. Semantics. What is the purpose of the article if not to inform? Create some kind of moral panic? Cars are being stolen, gangs of children are roaming certain areas but we won't tell you where so you can take precautions.

Post edited by Robert Nairac on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

There was a Whats app vid doing the rounds of some fellas beating the crap out of each other on barrick st.

• Advertisement

Perhaps they limit the information because there is ongoing investigations and they don't need interference and speculation by the kind of people who "demand to know".

Perhaps they fear vigilante acts from those who, "demand to know".

And, anyway, it seems that while these kids are from certain areas, they are stealing cars allover Cork. If you don't drive a Japanese import, you don't have precautions to take.

Semantics is, literally, the meaning of words. It's important.

I see some knuckle draggers have torched a school in Balincollig!

Burning down buildings earmarked for accommodation while crying about a housing crisis doesn't make much sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Library on Grand Parade closed again today because of scum harassing staff.

These people are really starting to give the city a bad name now. It's high time that the powers that be do something about this.

Post edited by Straight Talker on

It's pretty much nationwide. Not particular to Cork, but I agree. Gardaí are way too hands off with these people, imo.

The loonies really have crawled out of the woodwork post covid! People have a right to protest, no matter how ridiculous their particular cause is, but harassing and abusing the staff at the library as well as barricading it is not on. With these actions these people have rendered their right to protest as null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭sporina

walking past Debenhams today.. heard a guy groaning.. turned to my left.. spotted a guy sitting on the ground leaning against the wall/door - middle of his body covered with an opened up sleeping blanket and obviously someone under it.. (4 legs on the ground from under the sleeping bag) .. tis obvious what was happening.. broad daylight..

no shame.. 2.30pm.. everyone and anyone walking by.. kids too

some might find this funny but I was disgusted

rang the Bridewell.. (to get them off the street).. the guard I spoke to said that they can't act on such calls anymore but they would but put me on to to switch board.. eventually got to talk to someone - gave details..

walked back up to Debenhams a while later to see if the guards were there..

twas just the "girl" sitting under sleeping bag.. singing to her hearts content - out of it.. no guards - no guy.. doubt the guards arrived at all..

I dunno.. worst I have seen so far in town

I think it’s gone a bit beyond starting now though, eh?

Lads, it’s years this is going on. Some of us could see this only getting worse week by week. Small things, lack of basics like cleaning, dereliction, no social support and way too few gardai really builds over time to the current mess.

Take a look back at the start of this thread and the ones predating it. It would be funny if it wasn’t so eyerollingly ridiculous how some posters told sporina and those of us who saw the place was going downhill , that it was only a state of mind, we were aging, or mentally ill somehow to notice this, and nothing was out of the normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Town is fcuked a complete sh1thole full of junkies and scumbags and shops and bars fleecing you.

If you do put up with all that there is no where to park also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭PreCocious

Nowhere to park other than:

• Grand Parade Multistorey,
    • Grand Parade Surface Car Park,
    • Merchant's Quay Multistorey
    • Carroll's Quay Multistorey
    • North Main Street Multistorey,
    • City Hall Multistorey,
    • Paul Street Multistorey,
    • St Finbarr's Multistorey

as well as the Railway Station and the Park & Ride and various on-street spaces.

Advertisement