Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - anti social behaviour etc... what's being done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭chrisd2019

A few familiar faces there from the city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It's pretty obvious from looking at the video, what kind of people were involved in the Rochestown Park Hotel incident. As for this talk about saying this being racist etc, oh spare me that sort of virtue signaling please. These people have free reign to do and act as they please, without suffering from any consequences whatsoever!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Amen.

A business friend has a retail shop, alot of high ticket items. Gang of them robbed her shop last week, 2k worth of goods and they terrorised her staff. Guard told her straight out they knew who it was and they can't do much. She has constant trouble from members of this minority and just this minority.

I run a retail shop, they cause hassle at our premises on and just them, their feral teenagers. They have stolen and kicked a member of staff.

So spare me the bleeding hearts. There is nothing good about any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry but why can't AGS do anything for your friend, that is their job ffs

It seemed they went extra loco in Rochestown Park Hotel 😄 have they been named and shamed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

My understanding is that it's a different kind of policing, adapted for a different culture. It's just so different to what any of us experience...

To give you an example, when we last had stuff robbed, it was by a primary school aged young fella. He was the eldest of 8 kids living in a caravan, his dad was dead, his mam was run ragged with 8 wild kids, he was effectively the breadwinner and he did it by stealing stuff like bikes and selling them on. He had stopped going to school age 8, couldnt read or write. The gardai told us this isn't an unusual story, and they expect a lifetime of crime from him, probably going on to cars or houses or drugs. He effectively cannot work in mainstream society, I mean, it's hard enough for people to get decent jobs even with degrees behind their name, what hope has someone if they're completely illiterate. He can't fill out a paper form let alone do an online application.

The gardai build trust and a relationship with those families, try to get them interested in whatever trades or courses are available, or to keep them attending school as long as possible. Throwing the book at them every time some scrap happens doesn't help them maintain the links and trust with the community. They might be able to get some of them into some kind of employment or education program, to solve the issues long term. Giving them fines they won't pay, or clogging up the whole legal system with petty stuff doesn't help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There is nothing good about any of them.

I just want to highlight these words said about a minority community in Ireland by someone who is upset at being called a bigot!

@notAMember, we don't often agree on things but your voice of reason here will, no doubt, fall on closed, angry ears. People want blunt, simplistic solutions (which won't work) to extremely complex issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭shawki

Bingo Loco is on again in Rochestown this month.

Surprised it’s still going ahead.

https://ti.to/bingo-loco-ireland/bingo-loco-cork-saturday-18th-november-2023

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I'm a blow-in, lived in Cork for 16 years now, and I still wouldn't know this 'minority' simply by looking at a person, as many native Corkonians claim to be able to. You sure it's not bigotry?

I think you know the answer to this question. So many Irish people while often, otherwise decent and intelligent, have a complete blind spot when it comes to what they think is acceptable to say and think about travellers. The problem is that it is socially acceptable. You can see by the likes and comments that this is the majority position. Substitute the word traveller for any other ethnic minority and see how it sounds.

This post will, no doubt, be met with denial and justification and ridicule.

As long as people behave this way towards travellers, we will continue to have serious problems. Why should someone who, from birth, is considered by the majority of people, a second (or lower) class citizen, respect society? I'm fairly sure that, in that position, I'd feel exactly the same. Fcuk this society, I'd say. Fcuk its laws and the whole lot of you. You hate me no matter what I do. Fcuk you!

Someone in this thread used the words, "There is nothing good about any of them." Think about that for a moment.

Hands up anyone who wishes they were born a traveller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Travellers fought like mad in Rochestown causing chaos for the owners and non travellers out for a night out?? Travellers fought at a funeral in Tralee causing the death of one traveller. Travellers drove cars at each other in Galway recently ??.....many non travellers are aboherred at this carry on and are afraid to go about their lives , thats not the fault of non travellers !

I'll bet those defending traveller antics would be horrified if a halting site were planned next to their house. Its grand so long as it doesn't happen near me.

No one on this thread has defended any violence or criminal behaviour.

Also, don't assume to know mine or anyone else's experiences.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

Ive never behaved in a disrespectful way to a traveller that has been all them.

A traveller has never feared me while they have put the fear in me.

I've never robbed a traveller while they have robbed from me and my community.

Their culture doesn't fit with a law abiding society. They are the absolute scourge of ours.

Your talking out your hole with your social justice angle and no one is buying it.

I know the majority opinion which is justified too. If anything your the one speaking for others.

Who did I speak for? Care to quote examples?

I don't claim to know others thoughts and opinions. Unlike you.

I really have nothing left to say to you. I'll leave you with your hatred and anger and your belief that everyone is as bigoted at you are. (they aren't)

Read some history of oppression and discrimination of minorities through the ages. See if any of the language, thought processes and justifications sound familiar. Of course you won't do this, though. Your language is that of a hateful, bigoted person. If it looks lika a duck and quacks, it's, most likely, a duck!

Post edited by the beer revolu on

I think in these arguments it's often easy to forget that the vast majority of the people shouting at each other actually all want the same thing, and simply, that's less violence and criminality in our society!

The staunchly opposed camps have a common goal, let's remember that.

And we can't fix the future without acknowledging and studying how, as a society, we got to present situations. Constant anti traveller narratives benefits no one. It's never going to help the situation.

And let's not forget how much violence and criminality is in our society that has absolutely nothing to do with this minority or any other minority.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I agree TBR. The problems have been left fester by the Irish State for many decades, which is a disgrace to us all, and it is a sorry sight to see. But I'm getting OT.

In terms of discussing anti social behaviour, I'm not sure it is off topic, especially considering other's posts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Is that aimed at me? I'm definitely not defending traveller violence, or any violence or crime. I think the organisers of events like those need to have some serious controls in place on crowd numbers, watching the alcohol intake and mood etc. Hopefully that mess of an event is an eyeopener for them.

I'd let the gardai do their job. They're on the ground , they know how to deal with it better than any of us.

And honestly, Cork, if anything, is remarkably inclusive. There are halting sites near every area, and homeless shelters, and any other notional undesirable living situation you can think of. Blackrock road, one of the most expensive places to live in the city is spitting distance to mahon traveller community and has a homeless shelter. Northside has 3 or 4 halting sites I think? Montenotte is near the good shepard center, the elysian is beside the Simon center. There is traveller-dedicated housing built all over the place, not just the city, bandon, midleton etc also.

I actually don't think the travellers are Cork's crime /antisocial behaviour problem. IMHO the bigger problem is dereliction, decay and heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is good and bad in all society, unfortunately the bad negative stories about travellers are more common

Was it confirmed the incident at Bingo Loco was travellers or just speculation given their talk and appearance etc.,

I hate to say it but I would be fearful of going anywhere in the city after dark

To be fair, travellers normally fight amongst themselves. It's an extended family affair.

You're an absolute ticket. A gas man. Fantastic craic. So funny but tells it like it is. What a character! And so quick witted, insightful and above all, original.

Maybe do stand up or a podcast! This level of comic genius compined with razor sharp social commentary should be shared with a wider audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Those travellers. Oh those travellers. They're good friends of mine, friends of mine. ❤️

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6i1txD9fd8

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

I don't think he's comment is actually out of line or inaccurate here.

There is a lot of bare knuckle fighting and feuding within the travelling community and much of it involves cousins and even brothers. Whilst we get no where by further alienating that community we also get no where by not identifying and admitting that there are significant issues within the traveller culture in respect of violence.

I cant say with 100% certainty that the event at RPH involved travellers however it was obvious across social media that many at least attended the event and i would be of the opinion based on the videos that it primarily involved them, however that is merely based on my experiences and my perception.

There are significant issues within many communities generally and ongoing impacts of alcohol and rampant drug usage.

No easy fixes here its a comprehensive, all inclusive approach that is needed to tackle these issues and it would take significant time once any new plan was initiated for the impacts to filter through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Those nutjobs behind the library protests are it again. They were abusing the staff in Waterstones book shop this time. The guards refuse to do anything about them.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I would have to agree with these views and this is supported by Irish Prison stats.

From the Irish Times:

"The Irish delegation said Travellers accounted for 0.7 per cent of the country’s population but made up 10 per cent of the general prison population and 15 per cent of the female prisoner population."

Travelers are not incarcerated because they are travellers, but are imprisoned because of their criminal and anti social behaviour!

Do you think this is enlightening information that no one else knows??

But on the other hand there is a common trope that travellers are above the law and the Gardaí are powerless to do anything about their criminality. Bla bla bla.

These things can't both be true.

The fact you posted is hardly surprising. Discriminated and disenfranchised communities, the world over, have higher than average crime rates, along with lower life expectancy and high suicide rates. These are not surprising occurrences. Similarly, black people in the US have higher incarceration rates than the general population but racists will use this fact to justify discrimination. It's an endless cycle, unfortunately, it seems.

As long as the general population discriminate so blatently against travellers(as evidenced by many, otherwise decent people here), blaming all travellers for the actions of some, we will not see an end to these problems. Perhaps that what the general population wants because I don't see a will amongst regular people to do anything to help, other than gleefully punch down, crack jokes and descriminate!

Think about it, if you were born a traveller and faced a lifetime of being descriminated against, followed around shops, refused service and called names, would you have an iota of respect for society at large? I certainly wouldn't.

We as a society have allowed the problems to fester and it takes society to fix these problems. Telling it like it is, being a realist, just stating facts and continuing to discriminate isn't going to help in any way at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I merely quoted some research to inform the conversation! I don't believe it warranted the above rant!

Advertisement