Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - anti social behaviour etc... what's being done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

7pm on Grand Parade.

Not even shocking anymore unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There was always a troubled looking group around that area by Dealz/Centra. Awful to hear of this kind of violence in the city centre :(

That it is within a rough group was my first thought too.

I’ve been reading the news reports and interviews on the students killed in Nottingham recently. The locals mention that feeling of small comfort or safety when you assume that stabbings in the news are within a drug-gang or group of homeless people as usual. It’s natural to do it I suppose. But in Nottingham it has spilled over into dead passers-by.

In my head, I keep remembering last week when I walked past that centra with my kids at around 7pm , we had gone into town to get some new clothes after school and they wanted to go to McDonald’s. It looked too rough for me, we went home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Paul Byrne mentioned incident(s) on Cornmarket Street and Copley Street tonight, two injured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

The poor man attacked on the Grand Parade has passed away may he RIP. Our once fine city is in bit of a sad and sorry state at the moment. The Gardai, the city council and the justice system in this country really have failed us badly imo.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/man-stabbed-cork-city-centre-27141871

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

The justice system needs an overhaul. We have to many vested interests in having people with lots of convictions getting suspended sentences just to come back into the limelight in a few weeks/months but of course everytime this happens the solicitors representing them with free legal aid get paid again. Try it sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Got a 5 month sentence around the 31st March: https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41106427.html Yet he's been involved in this incident in the middle of June, less than 3 months later.

27 counts of threatening behaviour and previously caught carrying knives: https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40789659.html

Wandering the streets like everyone else. It's scandalous the state of this country. RIP to the young man who passed away.

Yes, there is some truth to this IMHO, but the Leftie part of my brain still thinks that many, not all, of these problems have a societal cause that could be addressed with the right social policy from the state. I won't get into this debate here obviously!

It was good to see the Lord Mayor calling for more Gardaí on the street. You would still rarely see them patrol what are known trouble spots in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

A joke that he was out killing somebody in June after getting 5 months at end of March . This needs to be looked into as a man is dead at the hands of this scumbag. That judge is a joke anyway

• Advertisement

I agree. I grew up in a council estate myself and would be familiar with what happens to people who don't get support throughtout life and i know a few myself but also in saying that. It's always brought back how this person grew up in such a household or hung around with certain groups. While not all, I also grew up in the same areas, etc.

My dad served in teo armies and my mother was a stay at home mother but most of the time i went to school without breakfast,school lunch and for about 3 days of the week given 20p(which me and my brother and sisters going to school) would buy a chocolate bar and a packet of crisps. It wasn't all the time but it was often enough, if we stepped out of lin my father who used his belt, me and my brother never had the wooden spoon and laughed when in a friends house his mother and father chased him about. It was only a few years ago that i knew the wooden spoon was a thing.

What i'm trying to say is that while we didn't have much my parents still kept us in check and we never caused any hassle growing up apart from playing ball outside a neighbours window. I feel it's being used as a "Get out card" for people who actually don't care about other people around them and perhaps they're scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Just my thoughts on Cork city lads. I was out there last night which is rare for me I usually stay local. Had a few pints on Oliver Plunkett St. There was gards around and I thought there was a good buzz around but next thing this guy was pissing on the middle of the street and when he's finished that the tin foil came out and smoking his gear right in the middle of the street. It's wrong and needs to be tackled somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm afraid that the only conclusion I can take from this post is that you think criminal/antisocial behaviour is somehow genetic?

If that is the case, I fear what your proposed solutions might be!

Not really but i would say it has to do with how your parents raised you. We also hear they had nothing growing up etc. neither did i but i didn't turn into a scumbag. Maybe their parents letting them run wild without discipline is part of the problem?

I think the thread needs a new title. Anti social behaviour is a car parked inconsiderately, or not picking up a tissue dropped. Being loud.

Not stabbings, fighting, kicking sleeping homeless people. That’s just violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

was in The English Market today - long story short - staff are being plagued by some of the folk on the street.. one vendor was v upset over it all..

on the other hand, I saw a homeless guy who has an intellectual disability being manhandled by the cops the other day (long story).. but it was wrong..

along with all that I said in my opening post.. basically we have a major problem in the city - with regards to those who are homeless etc..

I dunno what the solution is but something shud be done.. by council/state - whoever..

and things have 100% got worse since covid.. dunno why - I am just observing

There is a bit of an issue in our apartment block...

Users of heroin (I assume by the paraphernalia) are using in the car park. Which (for me, with no children) would not bother me so much.

But not only is there paraphernalia, such as syringes (very much a danger) being left behind, there is also urinating and even defecating going on.

The security people are aware, but it continues. I wish there was an injecting centre for people to use, and I know that heroin users need to avoid arrest, sadly.

But it must be very unsettling for people who have children here. And there are a lot of young children in the apartment block.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

OMG thats horrendous.. have you written to the authorities etc?

We have a residents WhatsApp group. Security has been notified alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭chrisd2019

Contact management company and copy your landlord, all in writing so there is no denying knowledge. Had similar issue myself about 15 years ago, in a city centre block, my wife was there but I away during week. Once raised with owner it was ended fast, Needs proper security, i.e off duty Garda and some security improvements. The junkies soon move onto the next less secure spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Cromuli

Photo evidence has been provided. I think they're just slow to act... But, they will move elsewhere. We need secure centres for heroin users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Its an issue in some of the multi storeys in town paticularly the grand parade most expensive one and not stopping drug taking in there.

It's not really though. Treat heroin addiction like diabetes patients need insulin? The health approach is the only way, not criminalising users.

Thank you for the link, I will have to read further into it. I'm no expert, just giving my uneducated opinion on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Current policy around drug misuse is an abject failure. It has been given half a century to work and the problems are worse. Anyone advocating for this policy and action to continue is dangerously blinkered, imo.

The health led approach is proven to reduce harm from drug use and even, longterm, reduce drug use. I don't understand why people continuing to push the prohibition view have to be listened to. There is a trove of evidence that their policies make matters worse, it isn't a matter of opinion. However, we seem to form policy based on how people "feel", as opposed to on evidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

Well from the viewpoint of a small town solicitor or promotion hungry Garda then the war on drugs has been a complete success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Drew harris didnt give much hope to city traders when he was here last week.

Yes, saw that. No more overtime, and they are having trouble recruiting. It's hardly surprising. Who would want to be in the gardai these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Christ lads last evening was an eye opener for me. I rarely go out in the city but was meant to meet a friend there last nite but he cancelled last minute so decided to have a stroll around. Great buzz around Grand parade, Oliver Plunkett St but around Daunt Square and Paul St very sketchy. I was walking past Subway on Paul St and ducked into that tiny side street to take a call and some guy offers me a blowjob for 50 quid. Mad stuff. This was half 7.

Advertisement