Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - anti social behaviour etc... what's being done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Deflection from the question asked.

Do you know something about the identy of this man?

If not, why are you ascerting that he is a member of the travelling community?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Seen enough of them no point going on what he did was a disgrace.

Oh, right.

You've said enough.

(and don't, for one single moment, try to suggest that I have in any way condoned the behaviour in question, or any animal abuse - that would be merely more deflection)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If there's a punch up, in broad daylight, with multiple people involved and, to use the media code word, from "extended families", 99 times out of 100 it's you-know-who. Let's not be coy and pc about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Spent a few days in Cork. As usual, pubs, cafes, shops and restaurants are all great, once you get off the street. The streets come across as having deteriorated further, a few examples from 3 days below.

Walked from college of comm to patrick street in the morning, it was as bad as I've ever seen it. I counted 22 people lying on the street, looking zoned out of their heads. Puddles of vomit, and other bodily excretions, broken glass, rubbish, broken eggs. At one point I thought, maybe I should look up higher , rather than at the ground to avoid stepping in god knows what, but the floors above the street are rotting as well.

I walked the railway line between atlantic pond and rochestown. Some development is done, More eggs and glass smashed , looks like thrown from the bridges, fresh ugly graffiti on the newly cleaned and developed areas. Came up off the path at the petrol station on the blackrock road to buy something, their ATM has a "broken due to attempted theft" sign on it, it's visibly smashed. The shop assistant there told me a few of the houses nearby had break-ins recently when I asked have robberies increased.

Taxi to the airport, taxi driver had dressings on his face, he told me he had been attacked by a passenger refusing to pay 2 nights ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

3 days in a city, and that's all the anti-social behaviour you encountered? Sounds like paradise to be honest. Let me tell you about my recent visits to Limerick/Galway/Dublin/London/Amsterdam/New York/etc etc etc

"you know who", followed by "Let's not be coy about it".

Couldn't make that up. 😁😂🤣

Go on, say what you want to say. Clearly, the mods don't take action on blatantly discriminatory comments in this forum (provided they are directed at a particular ethnic group). Why are you worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Yes they're travellers. You know that too. Not sure why you're trying to make a big deal about it.

I made no comment about this fight. I responded to the "definitely a traveller", comment about the unidentified person abusing the dog. That was blatantly stereotypical discrimination.

My other reference was to the hilarity of the, "you know who", followed by, "Let's not be coy"!

Fair play, you weren't coy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭sporina

rem that email I sent to the council?

eventually got a reply.. well, more of an acknowledgement..

"I am emailing you to acknowledge receipt of your concerns in relation to issues in the city. These concerns have been passed along to the HSE and An Garda Síochána and the issues are discussed at the Joint Policing Committee"

I have actually unfollowed this thread... just came back on here to post the above..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Reading comprehension fail at the second sentence I'm afraid, back to school with you. :p I said it was 3 examples. not ALL. If I listed all, I'd have a few thousand words going.

However, I partly agree, yes, dublin and new york are even shlttier shltholes. Amsterdam and London are in far better shape than Cork though. There is no "nice" part of Cork anymore.

If your goal is to see Cork become the filthiest, up there with the big names, it would need to be a city in the first place. We're just a mucky little dot.

Oof I don't know about Amsterdam and London, I see lots of nasty behaviour and scenes in both if I'm honest. But Amsterdam in particular is a better place to just "be" on the street.

NY and Dublin are a different league though I fully agree with you. But I've had very positive recent experiences in Cork to tell you the truth, I wish I was in the city more. Cars dumped and driving absolutely everywhere is my biggest issue with Cork. And that's a minor issue really.

Also, regarding "nice" part of Cork, how about Mardyke? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

London is a total and utter hole imo. Cork has it's issues for sure, but it's still safer than most other cities around the world.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

The city centre is still a dump though, well more so the O'Connell/Henry Street area. We're lucky that Cork has also avoided the gangland crime problem that affects parts of Dublin city as well thankfully. We also have west Cork and the very underrated west Waterford area on our doorstep as well. Kinsale for example is just over half an hours drive from the city. In the grand scheme of things we have it good in Cork, although we haven't seen Liam McCarthy or Sam Maguire on Leeside in quite awhile though!

You'll still get your house broken into or your bike stolen just as easily in South East Dublin though. And I agree on the "more restaurants, nightlife etc" angle, but that's just a scale thing.

I don't think you're quite comparing like with like, by comparing Cork city centre with Dublin's leafy suburbs. You could live in Greenwich and have a wonderful London experience, or live out in Williamsburg and have a lovely New York experience, or maybe live in Blackrock and have a lovely Cork experience, but we're not really talking about comparisons of leafy suburbs. Well I wasn't anyway.

City centres... you're going to get anti-social behaviour proportionate to the scale of the city basically. Cork's small, so the scale of the anti-social behaviour is small. There's security with sub machine guns on the street in Amsterdam at the early hours of the morning guarding the weed cafe's, while queues of zombies stand around outside...Cork's generally pretty tame I'd be inclined to say. Because it's small.

I'd have to agree with you there, i always found the area around College Green/Dame Street/Grafton Street/St Stephens Green to be grand in fairness. The powers that be gave up on the north city centre years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cork's urban neighborhoods seem to offer little in terms of venues like that.

Once you head out of the city centre, there are not that many restaurants or entertainment venues. A fair number of pubs though!

Areas like Douglas Street, just a few minutes walk from the city centre, could do with more business ventures I think. There are already some very good bars, a small tapas restaurant, and the Nano Nagle centre, but the street needs more life IMHO.

I'd say St Lukes is doing pretty well too, but obviously nothing comparable with South Dublin in terms of venues.

Douglas street could really do with a "urban realm" scheme to be honest. I like it as a street but it's really not a street you'd sit outside on.

Edit: Douglas itself does have quite a bit. But I wouldn't say it's anywhere near on par with South Dublin in terms of being a nice streetscape etc. Again the traffic and street design is a big problem in Douglas.

And Bishopstown is like a little mini town too with lots of different social outlets, but again nowhere near as nice as one of those South Dublin "villages" really, and very little in the way of nightlife.

Post edited by hans aus dtschl on

• Advertisement

A decent sentence for once. We need to see more of this from the courts. Over three hundred previous convictions between the two of them. Nasty, dirty and horrible bstards.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-41135104.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Have people here encountered the "leave me alone" bicycle man? Is he dangerous?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes, a few times. Poor guy seems like he needs psychiatric help. I wouldn't say he's dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Except when he's cycling at speed on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Late 20s, early 30s. Tallish, fairly non descript. Wearing sunglasses any time I've seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I think this cyclist fella has eluded me so far unless i never really noticed him. Only think i can remember is about over a week ago some guy on a bike at a bit of speed passed up behind me on Oliver Pluntkett Street and mumbled something but nothing i really took notice of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yet another stabbing in the city tonight.

Advertisement